Nintendo is rumoured to be considering bringing a range of cancelled 3DS games to Nintendo Switch, including a previously-cancelled Fire Emblem game.
In an interview with Kinda Funny, former Game Informer editor, Imran Khan, spoke at length about what he'd learned about Nintendo's plans, including details about the recent shuttering of Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey developer, Alpha Dream, after it sold just 11,000 copies in its debut month.
As a result of the RPG's lukewarm sales, Nintendo reportedly scaled back other 3DS plans, including several games that were already mid-development such as Style Savvy and, reportedly, an unannounced Fire Emblem game.
"I know there was another Fire Emblem remake in the works for 3DS and that was one of the things that they shuttered," Khan said (thanks, VG24/7). "So maybe that's one of the things they'll bring forward in the future."
The result is encouraging for Pokemon games coming next month. Nintendo chief Furukawa said company would make more 3DS franchises available on Switch to convey appeal of Lite.— Takashi Mochizuki (@mochi_wsj) October 31, 2019
On its own, of course, this rumour is precisely that: a rumour, and nothing more. However, just a few days ago Wall Street Journal reporter Takashi Mochizuki made a similar claim, telling Twitter: "Nintendo chief Furukawa said company would make more 3DS franchises available on Switch to convey appeal of Lite".
There's certainly every incentive for Nintendo to capitalise on the Switch, of course. We recently reported that the Switch Lite was off to a good start, selling 1.95m units worldwide in its first 11 days. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening sold 3.13m copies during the same short timeframe whilst Fire Emblem: Three Houses sold an impressive 2.29m since its launch at the end of July. Super Mario Maker 2 has reportedly shifted 3.93m since the end of June.