The fourth mission of Control, Old Boy's Club, starts with your search to find Helen Marshall, Head of Bureau Operations.
Now that you've lifted the Internal Lockdown in Directorial Override, you're free to explore the Oldest House.
To find Marshall, you're going to have to visit the heart of the Bureau of Control - the Research Sector. Here scientists 'ethically' explore the supernatural oddities the Bureau discovers.
This is also a perfect time to learn about Board Countermeasures and Bureau Alerts.
On this page:
- Starting Old Boy's Club
- What are Board Countermeasures in Control?
- Find Marshall - Exploring Central Research
- Find Marshall - Exploring Parapsychology
- Find Marshall - How to trap the Astral Plane creature
- Find Marshall - Reaching Parapsychology
- Speak with Marshall on the intercom next to the elevator
- Take the elevator to reach Marshall
- Speak with Marshall
Need more help in your quest through the Oldest House? Then check out our Control walkthrough hub, with links to all our Control guides.
Starting Old Boy's Club
Before you go find Marshall, there are a couple of other activities you can take care of.
The first is a Bureau Alert.
These are timed missions that will regularly occur while you play.
You will be given a location, the NSC Energy Converters for example, and a time limit. When you reach the location you will have to defeat a certain amount of Hiss enemies, before the timer ends.
Don't worry if you fail a Bureau Alert, there will be plenty more to complete.
What are Board Countermeasures in Control?
If you go to the nearest Control Point, you will see the option for Board Countermeasures.
These are tasks sent from the mysterious Board to you, the Director. A Board Countermeasure can be anything from killing a certain number of Hiss Guards to using a specific Weapon Form to kill enemies.
Completing Board Countermeasures with a random Material, Weapon or Personal Mod. The harder the countermeasure, the rarer the mod.
If you don't like the countermeasures on offer, simply accept a countermeasure and then abandon it. A new one will appear in your Board Countermeasure list.
Find Marshall - Exploring Central Research
Before you head out to find Marshall, it's worth spending your Ability points at the nearest Control Point.
If you check Astral Constructs, you'll find two new additions to the Weapon Forms list. The first is an upgrade to the Grip and the second is a new form - Construct Spin. This form has a high fire rate and is best used in controlled bursts.
When you're ready, head to the Sector Elevator and head down to the Research Sector.
You'll find yourself in the heart of the Research Sector - Central Research.
Head down the steps into the main foyer to fight the Hiss Elevated and Hiss Snipers. Once you've defeated them, you'll discover that the Hiss have blocked, your destination, Parapsychology.
Take the time to explore Central Research, but keep an eye out for more Hiss forces. On the top floor you'll find Dr. Darling's office and the Dimensional Research department, which will lead you to the Ashtray Maze. You can't fully investigate the maze yet, but it's worth having a look.
There are chests near Parapsychology, in the Central Research shelter, the second shelter on the ground floor, in the men's toilet and in Lab 1, which is accessible on the ground floor of Central Research.
When you're ready to move on, use your Service Weapon to destroy the red block near the Hiss barrier in front of Parapsychology to destroy it and go through the doors.
Collectables to be found:
- Research & Records - Hiss Research - Hiss Sniper
- (Receive after killing a Hiss Sniper.)
- Multimedia - Darling Presentation - Research Sector
- (Receive upon entering Central Research.)
- Case Files - Altered World Events - Emergency Call Summary
- (In the shelter in Central Research.)
- Correspondence - Non-Official - Plant Complaint
- (In the first office you see in Central Research.)
- Research & Records - Research - Synchronicity
- (In the conference room in Central Research.)
- Research & Records - Research - Threshold Unity
- (On the lowest floor of Central Research near the black plant life.)
- Correspondence - Official - Hubert: Black Rock Analysis
- (On the counter in the Central Research Cafeteria.)
- Research & Research - Research - Song Questionnaire
- (On the desk in Lab 1, accessible on the lowest floor of Central Research.)
- Multimedia - Music - Poets of the Fall: My Dark Disquiet
- (By pressing the red button in Lab 1, accessible from the lowest floor of Central Research.)
- Hotline - Ashtray Maze
- (Walk through the doors to Dimensional Research.)
- Multimedia - Darling Presentations - HRAs
- (Receive upon entering Dr Darling's office.)
- Research & Records - Research - Astral Plane Counteressay
- (On a cabinet in the right-hand corner of Dr. Darling's office.)
- Research & Records - Research - Resonance Theory
- (On the central desk in Dr. Darling's office)
- Correspondence - Official - Darling Budget Request
- (On the floor in Dr. Darling's office by the bin.)
- Research & Records - Research - Astral Plane
- (On the cabinet on the left-hand side of the Dr. Darling's office.)
Find Marshall - Exploring Parapsychology
Go through the doors to the Parapsychology department and the Oldest House will wrap, blocking your way. Go left instead, climbing and jumping over the blocks, to reach the Parakinesiology department.
You'll be attacked by a range of Hiss forces when you enter the room. Once they're dealt with, head through the doors on the other side of the room and cleanse the Control Point you find.
When you're ready, head through the door on the left and then head up the stairs inside the room.
Collectables to be found:
- Case Files - Altered World Events - Emergency Call Supplement
- (On the counter near the last cage in the first room you enter in the Parakinesiology department.)
- Multimedia - Darling Presentations - Astral Plane
- (Receive when you go through the door to the Astral Plane department.)
- Research & Records - Research - Astral Exhibition
- (Found on a desk in the room after the Control Point in Parakinesiology.)
- Multimedia - Darling Presentations - Astral Spike
- (Interact with the television in the room after the Control Point in Parakinesiology.)
Find Marshall - How to trap the Astral Plane creature
You'll find yourself in a viewing room for a chamber containing one of those rubble creatures you encountered in the Astral Plane. Press the red button on the right-hand wall to open the door to the next corridor and then press the second button when you reach it.
This will lead you to the room with the creature from the Astral Plane inside. Try your best to keep your distance from the creature, because it will hurt you.
You'll notice straight away that this chamber consists of the main room and an alcove set towards the back. Find the orange, electricity, boxes in the chamber and, using your Launch powers, place them on the two sockets either side of the alcove.
Now guide the creature into the alcove. Once its inside, run out and press the button on the wall next to it to trap the creature inside. This will open a new door, allowing you to continue your search for Marshall.
Find Marshall - Reaching Parapsychology
Open the chest on the left-hand platform (its hidden behind a wooden barrier), before going through the door.
Follow the stairs down and you'll find yourself in a room full of Hiss forces. Take out the Hiss Cluster, the glowing red ball, first as this will heal the Hiss. You can use your position on the stairs to your advantage and quickly knock out the Cluster.
You will have to fight through several waves of different Hiss enemies, including a Hiss Trooper and two Hiss Elevated.
What a welcome to the Parapsychology department you've been given.
Don't forget to open the chest hidden beneath the stairs you used to enter this room with.
Run up the stairs and cleanse the Control Point you find. This will open up the passageway between Parapsychology and Central Research.
Collectables to be found:
- Correspondence - Official - Precognitive Powers
- (On a desk in a corner, near the record banks, where you fight the Hiss Cluster in the Parapsychology department.)
- Research & Records - Hiss Research - Hiss Cluster
- (Receive after killing a Hiss Cluster.)
Speak with Marshall on the intercom next to the elevator
Head down the stairs and use the intercom next to the elevators to contact Marshall.
If you explore the small office area to the right of the Control Point, you'll be able to start the A Captive Audience mission by finding the Research & Records - Reports - Astralnauts Information collectable.
Collectables to be found:
- Research & Records - Reports - Astralnauts Information
- (On the cabinet near the Control Point. Finding this will start the A Captive Audience side mission.
- Research & Records - Research - Groupthink
- (On the desk in the far corner in the small office space right of the Control Point in Parapsychology.)
Take the elevator to reach Marshall
Marshall will send an elevator to you, but before it arrives, you've got to survive another round of Hiss enemies.
Get into the elevator once you've defeated the Hiss.
Speak with Marshall
Exit the elevator and head right towards the Luck department. Don't forget to cleanse the Control Point before you head into Luck & Probability.
Talk to Marshall and she'll tell you to secure more HRA's as further protection from the Hiss. To do this you need to find Dr. Darling's HRA Lab.
Collectables to be found:
- Case Files - Altered Items - Rubber Duck Supplement
- (In the men's toilet to the left of the elevator.)
It’s time to journey into the mysterious Federal Bureau of Control. Our Control walkthrough can help you through the storyline missions, including Welcome to the Oldest House, Unknown Caller, Directorial Override, Old Boy’s Club, Threshold, My Brother's Keeper, The Face of the Enemy, Finnish Tango, Polaris and Take Control. You can also learn new supernatural powers by completing A Merry Chase, A Good Defence and A Captive Audience. We also have guides on upgrading the Service Weapon, your Abilities, how to use Weapon and Personal Mods, how to unlock every outfit and the solution to the Roulette Wheel puzzle.