There are multiple Modern Warfare editions for those interested in getting your interest in early for 2019's Call of Duty game.
The debut announcement - alongside confirming that franchise-lead Infinity Ward were back helming the franchise reboot - also revealed a Modern Warfare release date and assets, including a Modern Warfare trailer.
We also know plans for Modern Warfare cross play and DLC, too.
Modern Warfare editions, Operator Packs explained
Modern Warfare pre orders are now available (including from Amazon UK on consoles) along with several editions and Operator Packs.
All of these will also provide early access to the Modern Warfare beta, ahead of the open beta the following weekend.
Modern Warfare digital special editions
There are several editions, each increasing the amount of bonuses that come with them.
The Modern Warfare Standard Edition pre-order bonuses:
- Prestige token to be used in Black Ops 4 (redeemable only on same platform you pre order on)
- Tactical Knife cosmetic with 'Limited Edition' label
The Modern Warfare Operator Edition features the above, plus:
- 'All Ghillied Up' Operator Pack (themed skin and weapon cosmetics)
- 'Crew Expendable' Operator Pack (themed skin and weapon cosmetics)
- 'Warpig' Operator Pack (themed skin and weapon cosmetics)
The Operator Enhanced Edition features the above, plus:
- 3,000 Call of Duty Points
Finally there's the Dark Edition, featuring the above plus some actual night vision goggles:
Modern Warfare physical special editions
Keeping things a little more simple, there are only two editions - the standard physical edition with just the game (available on Amazon UK on consoles) and a Precision Edition, which features all the content of the digital Operator Edition above, plus some physical extras, including a steelbook and a branded thumbsticks and controller skin.
Modern Warfare release date: When does Call of Duty 2019 release?
The Modern Warfare release date is Friday, October 25th 2019 for PS4, Xbox One and PC.
This puts Modern Warfare in the same time bracket as Black Ops 4 last year - suggesting Call of Duty has firming shifted from its traditional November release slot to October.
All Modern Warfare trailers and other details so far
The debut announcement for Modern Warfare came with a trailer that teased the game's story, setting and confirmed the release date:
Raw gameplay of the 2v2 Gunfight multiplayer mode:
Multiplayer gameplay and night vision reveal:
There have been mode that's followed too:
A press release also confirmed the following details:
- Modern Warfare will have single-player - unlike 2018's Black Ops 4 - with "an edgy, culturally relevant and thought-provoking single-player campaign" set in European cities and the Middle East.
- Fan favourite characters from the Modern Warfare series, such as Captain Price, will make a comeback.
- There will be a "unified narrative experience and progression" across multiplayer, campaign and co-op modes.
- There will be a Modern Warfare beta in September.
- Plans for Modern Warfare cross play and new maps have been confirmed.
- Killstreaks have been confirmed to be making a comeback for multiplayer.
- Modern Warfare will release on Battle.net for PC, just like 2018's Call of Duty game, Black Ops 4.
- Modern Warfare will feature a new engine with a generational leap in fidelity, according to a Digital Foundry report.
There's still plenty to announce, including specifics on multiplayer, which we'll know more about as October 25th approaches.
For more guides like this on big, upcoming games and hardware on Eurogamer, we've pages on:
- New Xbox specs and Project Scarlett games
- PS5 specs and PlayStation 5 games
- The Elder Scrolls 6 location
- Cyberpunk 2077 trailers and gameplay
- Starfield release date expectations and trailers
- Google Stadia games list, pricing
- Death Stranding trailers and pre order bonuses
- Pokémon Sword and Shield release date, pre-orders
- Modern Warfare editions, Operators pack
- Minecraft Earth beta
- Borderlands 3 pre-order bonuses, trailers, release date
- Gears 5 Tech Test release date, access
- Ghost Recon Breakpoint beta date, access