It goes without saying that raids are some of the most anticipated activities in Destiny 2 and Scourge of the Past is no different.
Players return to the European Dead Zone - the first planet we visited in Destiny 2 - to explore the Last City in hopes of discovering one of the many secrets contain within the Black Armory expansion.
As a pinnacle activity, players can expect one of the toughest challenges yet, even as a fireteam of six guardians. With Scourge of the Past having its roots in being a 'Raid Lair' - in essence, a shorter raid - it's shorter than Last Wish which launched with the expansion.
Just like all the other Raid based activities, Scourge of the Past has a smorgasbord of randomly generated loot to be acquired and a copious amount of Powerful Engrams to be earned after each section.
So, if you think you can take on the next stage of Destiny 2's activity, our Scourge of the Past guide will be there to help you each step of the way.
Destiny 2 Scourge of the Past guide
Here are guides to encounters in Destiny 2 Scourge of the Past:
How to prepare for the Scourge of the Past Raid
You can prepare yourself in the following ways:
- You should aim to reach the max Power Level. The Scourge of the Past recommended PL is 640 and plateaus at 650. For those below the required Power Levels there will be different indicators that signify how dangerous enemies are. Guardians that are 40/50 below enemy level will see skulls next to the health bar and will not be able to damage these enemies.
- Discuss roles with your team. As Destiny 2 Forsaken introduced loads of new subclasses there are a substantial number of roles you can adopt, but it's best to balance your team between wave clear, support, and damage if possible.
- Have a variety of weapons available, making sure that you are able to cover all three varieties of energy across your team.
- Ensure that you are aware of the cumulative respawn timer. When a player dies, the amount of time they are unavailable will reduce this timer and when it reaches zero the instance will fail.
- Stock up on Raid Banners from Petra Venj. Raid banners are essential in replenishing heavy ammo and super energy prior to encounters.
- Keep an eye out for hidden areas that may contain hidden chests. These don't usually contain Powerful Gear, but they do house Raid specific gear.
- Dig out a good, fast sparrow that can be summoned quickly for the racing section of the raid. It will prove vital in phase two.
Destiny 2 Scourge of the Past loot
Similarly to the Last Wish, Bungie have offered some pretty unique prizes for those who complete Scourge of the Past within the opening weekend and week following release.
- The first team of six players to will receive a World First raid belt.
- Any team completing Scourge of the past within 24 hours will receive a special 'Scourge of Nothing' emblem.
- And those who clear the raid within before the 12th of December can order an exclusive Raid jacket through the Bungie Store.
Outside of the additional rewards of the first few days after Scourge of the Past launches, there is lots of gear for you to grind for in the successive weeks.
Scourge of the Past armour drops
|Hunter||Bladesmith's Memory Mask||Bladesmith's Memory Vest||Bladesmith's Memory Grips||Bladesmith's Memory Strides||Bladesmith's Memory Cloak|
|Titan||Bulletsmith's Ire Helm||Bulletsmith's Ire Plate||Bulletsmith's Ire Gauntlets||Bulletsmith's Ire Greaves||Bulletsmith's Ire Mark|
|Warlock||Gunsmith's Devotion Crown||Gunsmith's Devotion Robes||Gunsmith's Devotion Gloves||Gunsmith's Devotion Boots||Gunsmith's Devotion Bond|
Arc Week sees the return of Thunderlord, while the rest of Forsaken's second DLC brings new Exotics for Season of the Drifter, a Destiny 2 level cap to reach, the return of Thorn and Allegiance with Drifter or Vanguard quests. As always, Forsaken activities are still worth checking out - including this week's Ascendant Challenge and Blind Well and Oracle Engine Offering activities. There's also the likes of the Ace of Spades, the Chaperone and Malfeasance to unlock.
Scourge of the Past weapon drops
|Anarchy||Grenade Launcher (Arc)||Exotic|
|Tempered Dynamo||Fusion Rifle||Legendary|
|No Feelings||Scout rifle||Legendary|
|Bellowing Giant||Giant Rocket Launcher||Legendary|
Other Scourge of the Past drops
- The Anarchy Exotic is a rare drop from Scourge of the Past completions.
- Emblems - Available for completion and various drops from chests.
- Exotic Sparrow 'Always on Time' - This exotic drop can only be found in the secret chest after the sparrow section.
The legendary weapons in this encounter also have a rare chance of dropping as a controlled curated roll. These weapons will drop with their masterwork at level 10 and with specific traits.