Another year, another Call of Duty beta, this time the turn of Modern Warfare.
The Modern Warfare beta dates and times for two weekends in September have been confirmed, and though details of what exactly is included are thin on the ground, Activision has revealed there will be cross-play support on the second test and a some "surprises" along the way.
On this page:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare beta times for UK, US and Europe, plus all beta start dates and end dates explained
The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare beta is available across two weekends, debuting first on PS4 then to PS4, Xbox One and PC one week later.
First Modern Warfare beta weekend start times (PS4 only):
- Thursday September 12th to Friday 13th: Early Access
- Saturday September 14th to Monday 16th: Open Beta
Second Modern Warfare beta weekend start times (all platforms):
- Thursday September 19th to Friday 20th: Early Access on Xbox One and PC, Open Beta on PS4
- Saturday September 21st to Monday 23rd: Open Beta on all platforms
The Modern Warfare beta start times for both Early Access dates across both weekends are as follows:
- UK: 6pm (BST)
- Europe: 7pm (CEST)
- East Coast US: 1pm (EDT)
- West Coast US: 10am (PDT)
As for the Modern Warfare Open Beta start time on each Saturday, Activision has yet to confirm any specifics - though our best guess is the same (6pm PST, 10am PDT) as mentioned above. That said, during this first weekend you can play right now by acquiring free beta codes direct from the official website without a pre-order, if you want to get started right away.
The end times for the beta, meanwhile, have yet to be announced, so get in some playtime while you can.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare beta access explained
Update (September 14th, 2:10pm): Just ahead of the Open Beta later today, Activision has begun giving away free beta codes direct from the official website without the need of a pre-order, if you want to get started right away.
Original report: By pre-ordering any edition either digitally or through select retailers, you'll get early Modern Warfare beta access on the Thursday and Friday before the open beta kicks off over at the weekend - with PS4 early access available on the first weekend, and Xbox One and PC on the second.
If you don't pre-order, however, you'll still get Modern Warfare beta access - you just have to wait for the open beta dates that follow.
Everything else you need to know about the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare beta
There's not many specifics on what's included in the Modern Warfare beta - apart from "an epic and ever-changing series of maps, playlists, and other content drops throughout the Beta Test Weekends, with surprises and a great deal of content to access", according to Activision, but we do know:
- The second beta weekend will feature Modern Warfare cross play support between consoles and PC.
- If you aren't pre-ordering direct from digital stores, you need to enter your beta key into the official Call of Duty site and select the platform of your choice.
- Modern Warfare beta pre-loading is available, so be sure to download it ahead of time so you can start playing as soon as it goes live.
- If you downloaded the Modern Warfare alpha, that is a different client to the beta, and requires a separate download.
- As with previous betas, progress or unlockables won't carry over to the full game. It's assumed, however, that PS4 players will have their progress kept from one beta weekend to the next.