Uncovering potential wonderkids in FIFA 18 is one of the most satisfying things in the game.
Watching them grow from nervous teenager to a superstar of the future is a treat - and probably part of the reasoning behind the Journey seeming like such a great fit, so on this page you'll find a list of the best FIFA 18 youngsters and hidden gems or, in other words, the highest potential young players in the game.
Whether you're looking to take the "Spurs approach" - by buying what feels like several hundred under-21 players each year, and selling on most of them the next - or simply find that one perfect replacement for your ageing superstar, the list below, sourced directly from EA Sports' own rankings contains several dozen wonderkids with the highest potential ratings in the game.
If you're looking for the highest rated Overall players of all ages though, we've got you covered in our FIFA 18 player ratings guide, plus we've put together a guide on FIFA 18's best players by position, and a list of FIFA 18 5* skillers and how to perform skill moves, too.
For more guides, tips, and info in general on FIFA 18, head back to our main FIFA 18 tips and guide hub.
We'll also give our own advice on our personal picks for standout players from the list further below, so read on!
The best, highest potential wonderkids and players in FIFA 18
Note that some of these players' ratings have been affected by the latestratings refresh. For the full list, head over to our dedicated FIFA 18 ratings refresh and winter upgrades page.
|Mbappé, Kylian||AS Monaco||ST||18||83||94|
|Marco Asensio||Real Madrid||CAM||21||84||92|
|Gabriel Jesus||Manchester City||ST||20||81||92|
|Lemar, Thomas||AS Monaco||LM||21||83||91|
|Sané, Leroy||Manchester City||LW||21||82||91|
|Alli, Dele||Tottenham Hotspur||CAM||21||84||90|
|Dembélé, Ousmane||Borussia Dortmund||RM||20||83||90|
|Martial, Anthony||Manchester United||LM||21||82||90|
|Tielemans, Youri||AS Monaco||CM||20||80||90|
|Pulisic, Christian||Borussia Dortmund||RM||18||78||89|
|Lafont, Alban||Toulouse FC||GK||18||77||89|
|de Ligt, Matthijs||Ajax||CB||18||76||89|
|Dani Ceballos||Real Madrid||CM||21||78||88|
|Tah, Jonathan||Bayer 04 Leverkusen||CB||21||82||88|
|Brandt, Julian||Bayer 04 Leverkusen||LM||21||80||88|
|Rashford, Marcus||Manchester United||ST||19||79||88|
|Embolo, Breel||FC Schalke 04||ST||20||76||88|
|Sarr, Malang||OGC Nice||CB||18||75||88|
|Havertz, Kai||Bayer 04 Leverkusen||RM||18||73||88|
|Martínez, Lautaro||Racing Club de Avellaneda||ST||20||72||88|
|Werner, Timo||RB Leipzig||ST||21||82||87|
|Weigl, Julian||Borussia Dortmund||CDM||21||81||87|
|Dahoud, Mahmoud||Borussia Dortmund||CM||21||79||87|
|Tousart, Lucas||Olympique Lyonnais||CDM||20||78||87|
|Hernández, Lucas||Atlético de Madrid||CB||21||76||87|
|Diop, Issa||Toulouse FC||CB||20||76||87|
|Kovalenko, Viktor||Shakhtar Donetsk||CAM||21||75||87|
|Ndiaye Diedhiou, Amath||Getafe CF||ST||21||74||87|
|Sarr, Ismaďla||Stade Rennais||LM||19||73||87|
|Edwards, Marcus||Tottenham Hotspur||RM||18||65||87|
|Rúben Neves||Wolverhampton Wanderers||CDM||20||77||86|
|Renato Sanches||Bayern München||CM||20||76||86|
|Pablo Fornals||Villarreal CF||CAM||21||77||86|
|Han Kwang Song||Perugia||ST||18||67||86|
|Douglas Luiz||Girona FC||CM||19||73||86|
|Diogo Jota||Wolverhampton Wanderers||LW||20||77||86|
|Andreas Pereira||Manchester United||LM||21||77||86|
|Meyer, Max||FC Schalke 04||CAM||21||79||86|
|Coman, Kingsley||Bayern München||RM||21||79||86|
|Sanabria, Antonio||Real Betis Balompié||ST||21||78||86|
|Halilović, Alen||UD Las Palmas||CAM||21||77||86|
|Živković, Andrija||SL Benfica||RM||21||77||86|
|Driussi, Sebastián||Zenit St. Petersburg||ST||21||77||86|
|Ndidi, Onyinye||Leicester City||CDM||20||77||86|
|Henrichs, Benjamin||Bayer 04 Leverkusen||RB||20||76||86|
|Bailey, Leon||Bayer 04 Leverkusen||LM||20||76||86|
|Kessié, Franck Yannick||Milan||CM||20||76||86|
|Mammana, Emanuel||Zenit St. Petersburg||CB||21||75||86|
|Iheanacho, Kelechi||Leicester City||ST||20||75||86|
|Gnagnon, Joris||Stade Rennais||CB||20||75||86|
|Řdegaard, Martin||sc Heerenveen||RW||18||74||86|
|Lo Celso, Giovani||Paris Saint-Germain||CAM||21||74||86|
|Fosu-Mensah, Timothy||Crystal Palace||RB||19||74||86|
|Amian Adou, Kelvin||Toulouse FC||RB||19||73||86|
|Abraham, Tammy||Swansea City||ST||19||73||86|
|Ascacibar, Santiago||Estudiantes de La Plata||CDM||20||73||86|
|Onomah, Josh||Aston Villa||CAM||20||72||86|
|Zakaria, Denis||Borussia M'gladbach||CM||20||72||86|
|Ndombele, Tanguy||Amiens SC||CDM||20||72||86|
|Upamecano, Dayot||RB Leipzig||CB||18||69||86|
|Früchtl, Christian||Bayern München||GK||17||65||86|
|Rui Pedro||FC Porto||ST||19||70||85|
|Malcom||Girondins de Bordeaux||RW||20||79||85|
|Cucurella||FC Barcelona B||LB||19||67||85|
|Brahim Díaz||Manchester City||CAM||18||66||85|
|Koziello, Vincent||OGC Nice||CM||21||78||85|
|Amiri, Nadiem||TSG 1899 Hoffenheim||CAM||20||77||85|
|Hernández, Theo||Real Madrid||LB||19||75||85|
|Retsos, Panagiotis||Olympiacos CFP||CB||19||72||85|
|Mor, Emre||Borussia Dortmund||RM||20||70||85|
|Mboula, Jordi||AS Monaco||RM||18||68||85|
|Thill, Vincent||FC Metz||CAM||17||63||85|
Looking for more on FIFA 18? We've gathered all our individual guides together in our main FIFA 18 tips and guide hub, and if you're playing the game's campaign-like story mode, we have a full Journey: Hunter Returns walkthrough. There are also lists of FIFA 18 wonderkids and the best young players, FIFA 18 player ratings, the best strikers, best wingers, best midfielders, best defenders and best goalkeepers. Elsewhere, we have details on five star skillers and skill moves listed, how to score free kicks, penalties and set pieces, and the FIFA 18 best players by position. Fan of Ultimate Team? we look at FIFA 18 Chemistry explained, the new January 2018 and original OTW Ones to Watch cards, along with best Chemistry Styles for each position, and finally how to earn FIFA Coins quickly and for free.
Other things you should know about wonderkids and high potential players in FIFA 18
Based on the above, there are a couple of points worth bearing in mind when hunting down your next world class talent:
- Of all the players of a potential rating higher than 85 Overall, Tottenham's Marcus Edwards is the one with the potential to improve the most. The eighteen-year-old Spurs starlet starts at just 65 Overall in FIFA 18, meaning he can improve by up to twenty-two points in total. In terms of your Career Mode playthrough, it means he's one of the very best long-term options, and could also be available for a pretty meagre fee if you're lucky.
- Last year's starlet Reece Oxford - who had the potential to grow by a whopping 20 points overall - drops off the list entirely this year.
- Remember that age is an important factor here. Whilst younger, lower-Overall players like Edwards might come at a better price, if you can afford more developed players then often it's a safer bet - you might not be fitting in four, five or six seasons into one Career Mode playthrough, after all, and so may never see a seventeen-year-old's full potential.
- For those longer plathroughs, we recommend players with a starting Overall in the 60s, too keep the cost down. The likes of Edwards, Perugia's Han Kwang Song, Bayern's Christian Früchtl, RB Leipzig's Dayot Upamecano, and Fc Metz' Vincent Thill are great options.
- For more instant hits - aside from the older players you'll find in our FIFA 18 player ratings guide - look to the likes of Anthony Martial, Dele Alli, Marco Asensio and Thomas Lemar, who have current Overall ratings of 82, 84, 84 and 83 respectively and can provide an immediate impact at just about any club.
- Don't necessarily go straight for the highest-rated potential players. Although it's great if you have the cash, often you're better off doing a little searching around for players at smaller, more cash-strapped clubs outside of the top tier leagues to pick up a bargain. Do you really need to prize Kylian Mbappé from Paris Saint Germain (once the game updates) in the same year he joined, when you could pick up Ezequiel Barco or Kasper Dolberg instead?
- Be flexible with your positions. It's more of a general tip for FIFA 18 anyway (and long-term players will remember the days of pace-abusers packing the team with speedsters regardless of position) but don't forget that often, players have expertise in more than one spot on the team sheet. Marcus Rashford can play on the left as well as up front, for example, so expect him to be able to do a job for you there in FIFA 18, too.
Additional reporting by Matthew Reynolds.