Pokémon Sun and Moon is offering a new giveaway - the Mewnium Z item, a Z Crystal to give Mew its Z Move Genesis Supernova - to celebrate the arrival of the latest Pokémon Bank update.
Though it's a giveaway, you have to be a paid Pokémon Bank subscriber before the event deadline of October 2nd, 2017 to obtain it. There's a few simple steps required to get it to your game, as well as some caveats of where to use it.
How to get Mew in Pokémon Sun and Moon
Before you can even use your Mewnium Z, the question is - where can you get a Mew from? Unlike the game's previous freebie, which provided a Munchlax alongside a Snorlium Z, this giveaway doesn't come with its corresponding Pokemon - especially one of the Mythical kind.
The answer is, if you already don't have one from previous versions of the game, then you might not get one any time soon. Last year Mew was given away for the franchise's 20th anniversary for X, Y and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, as well as a very limited giveaway at a Pokémon Sun and Moon launch event for Red, Blue and Yellow Virtual Console users.
If you managed to get your hand on a Mew from either of those events, then use Pokémon Bank to transfer the creature across. Otherwise, fingers crossed for another event in the near future!
How to get Mewnium Z and Mew Z Move Genesis Supernova in Pokémon Sun and Moon
1) Turn on the Nintendo 3DS, boot up Pokémon Bank and press Start to connect to the Internet.
2) Next, select 'Use Pokémon Bank'. You'll then receive a message saying as part of being a valued member, you'll receive the item.
3) Save and disconnect from the internet by backing out to the menu. Now load up your copy of Pokémon Sun or Moon, and start the game.
4) Travel to a Pokémon Centre, and there will be a man in a yellow and blue striped shirt just to the left of the counter. Talk to him, and you'll receive the gift of a Mewnium Z.
Need more tips? Use our Pokémon Sun and Moon Walkthrough and guide for the main story, our competitive training guide for info on IVs, EV training, Hyper Training and bottle cap farming, and breeding explained, our choice of the best Pokémon Sun and Moon starter from Rowlet, Litten and Popplio, as well as an in-progress list of where to find Zygarde Cells and Cores and our guide to the Battle Tree and both Battling and Trading in the Festival Plaza. We also have a list of QR codes list, Z Crystal locations, Mega Stone locations, Eevium Z Eevee User locations for Extreme Evoboost, evolutions for Alolan Forms and other new Sun and Moon Pokémon and fast way to increase a Pokémon's Happiness, plus how to transfer across Ash-Greninja from the Sun and Moon Demo, where to catch the Tapu Guardians, how to catch the Ultra Beasts, and how to download the Munchlax Mystery Gift.
Things to know about the Mewnium Z giveaway in Pokémon Sun and Moon
- The Mewnium Z is only available for Pokémon Sun and Moon, meaning you won't be able to download it to X and Y, or Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
- If you have multiple editions of Sun and Moon games, you can only download a single Mewnium Z, so choose your copy wisely.
- The Mewnium Z Z Crystal, which is required for Z Move 'Genesis Supernova', is only available for Mew. Our Pokémon Sun and Moon Z Crystal locations explains more on how these work and where to find others in the game.
- Remember, there is a deadline of October 2nd, 2017 to download the Mewnium Z to your copy of the game, and there are plenty of other giveaways coming and going, too, such as the one for Mew's close relation, Mewtwo's Mega Stones download code.