Learning how to create Persona 5 Fusions is one of the most fundamental skills required to surviving the game's many Palaces and Mementos.
By creating a variety of Personas for your main character to use, you can effectively exploit elemental weaknesses of your opponents (such as a variety of tough bosses) as well as survive attacks of your own.
Instead of noting every Persona and their possible Fusions - which would be a huge and overwhelming - instead we've provided some advice on how to get the best Personas as and when you need them.
How Persona 5's Fusion in the Velvet Room works
The quickest and most obvious way of acquiring new Personas is by claiming them from vanquished enemies, but you can also create new ones or strengthen existing ones by sacrificing them in the Velvet Room.
The number of combinations is a little overwhelming, but the process is simple and it's now possible to work backwards from the result you want rather than manually trying every combination of two and three Personas and hoping for the best.
Fusing Personas is also where your Confidant social rank comes into play - the higher a rank you have in a given Arcana the greater the bonuses you will receive during Fusion, meaning it's possible to create Personas that are far more powerful than you'll find in the wild.
They can also inherit some abilities from their "parents" so with some tinkering you can produce some well rounded results.
If you're having trouble finding any of the required source Personas you may be able to fuse those from others in your possession; check the "Fusion by result" section in the Velvet Room.
You may also find this is easier to achieve on higher difficulty levels as you're more likely to stun rather than outright kill enemies thus making it easier to acquire their Persona.
How to create the best Personas through Fusing
Though Satanael is the most "naturally" strong Persona in the game - with the highest raw stats and resistances across the board - it can only be unlocked during New Game+. Besides, why settle for what nature provides when - with a bit of patience, imagination, and luck - you can create your own variants of others that are extremely tough to do any damage to?
There are more elements in Persona 5 than previous installments so complete immunity is no longer an option, but it's possible to get close.
It takes some work and some head-scratching, and getting hold of the raw Persona ingredients will require a bit of good fortune, and you may have to wait until NG+ to have the resources and levels to truly make a monster, but the results can be worth it.
Need more help? Our Persona 5 guide and walkthrough features a complete month-by-month summary with important dates and Palace strategies, as well as how to get the True Ending. Elsewhere, learn how to make the most of your free time with all Confidant, Social Link and romance options, the best ways to increase Social Stats such as Knowledge, Guts, Proficiency, Kindness and Charm, create the best Personas through Fusions, how to cheat on exams with our test answers, how to get Mementos requests, unlock the entire Trophy list and learn about the upcoming DLC schedule.
Some general advice to get an overpowered Persona:
- As a goal, pick a target Persona that has a lot of natural immunities and can be formed from fusing three or more other Personas; Yoshitsune, Kohyru, or Black Frost are good examples.
- Next, find some other Personas that have passive-skill based immunities that are inheritable and cover any gaps: for example, Black Frost has no resistance against Electric damage, but Barong's Null Electric or Mot's Repel Electric can patch the hole.
- Fuse the Personas you're going to use as ingredients. You'll need to make a lot of intermediate steps along the way - for example to pass Absorb Electric from Barong to Black Frost you'll have to Fuse Barong with Asterius to create Yatagarasu with the inherited ability, and then fuse Yatagarasu with Seth to make King Frost with the inherited ability, and then use King Frost in the final fusion.
- Once you've got the raw ingredients, use an Advanced Fusion to craft your masterpiece.
- Depending on various factors such as the level of your base Personas, Arcana Rank for the final fusion, and the exact route you took you may find that your creation is now great on defence but lacking in attack, so spend some time in the lower reaches of Mementos on a rainy day and you should pick up a handful of Skill Cards that you can apply to round things out.