Now that mobile phones are essentially pocket supercomputers, it shouldn't really come as a surprise that they carry price tags to match. But there are still bargains to be found out there, and there's no better time to search than Black Friday.
Whether you're looking for a brand new phone contract with bundles of data or a cheap sim-only deal there are a number of options to consider across both iOS and Android devices which should only get better as we get closer to Black Friday itself.
You'll also want to make a choice between absorbing a higher upfront cost to reduce the monthly price, or decide to pay more each month and avoid paying a chunk of money immediately. Definitely something to consider now that contracts generally lock you in for about two years.
The Best Smartphone Deals
Currently, the best deal on a new iPhone 7 is on EE with 10GB data and unlimited calls/texts for £0 upfront / £40.99 per month.
Alternatively, you can grab a 32GB Samsung Galaxy S7 on EE with 5GB data, unlimited calls and texts for £0 upfront / £30.99 per month)
The rest of our buyer's guide aims to steer you through the bonanza of bargains that will kick off on 25th November.
- Sony Xperia X Performance UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Black, £424.99
- Sim Free LG G4 - Grey, £249.95
- Sim Free iPhone 5S Refurbished 16GB - Gold/Silver/Space, £159.95
- iPhone 5s 16GB - O2, 1GB data, unlimited mins/texts (£9.99 upfront / £24 per month)
- Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge 32GB - sim free, £529.99
- Samsung Galaxy S7 32GB - EE, 5GB data, unlimited mins/texts (£0 upfront / £28 per month)
- iPhone 7 32GB - EE, 10GB data, unlimited mins/texts (£0 upfront / £40.99 per month)
- iPhone 6s 32GB - O2, 3GB data, unlimited mins/texts (£25 upfront / £31.50 per month) (Use code 15OFFBF)
- iPhone SE 16GB Gold Sim-Free, £379.00
- Samsung Galaxy A3 128GB, £249.99
- iPhone 5S 16GB - Silver, £259.00
- LG G5 32GB Sim-Free, £399.99
- Microsoft Lumia 650 Sim-Free, £106.60
- Motorola Moto G4 Plus 16GB, £184.99
- Sony Xperia E5 (use code BLACKFRI5 to get handset for free), £180
- LG Google Nexus 5X 32GB Unlocked Carbon Black, $279.99
- Sony Xperia XZ - Unlocked Smartphone - 32GB - Forest Blue, $599.99
- Lumia 640 XL, $79.99
- Moto Z $9.99 Per Month ($239) plus tax, $259.85
- LG G5 32GB Sim-Fere, $415.00
- Microsoft Lumia 640 XL 8GB, $$79.99
Which operating system is best?
Apple's mobile operating system has seen a lot of changes in recent years, but one thing remains constant - iOS has the biggest and best selection of high-quality apps. What's more, iPhones work seamlessly with other Apple devices, so if you already own an iPad or Mac, it's well worth searching for a Black Friday iPhone deal.
It's worth noting that Apple is widely expected to unveil a selection of new products in September 2016, including one or more new iPhones. So, existing stock could be offered with hefty discounts come 25th November.
Looking for PS4 savings as well? Check our guide to the best PS4 Black Friday deals
Looking for tech deals or non-gaming deals? Check out the Jelly Deals Black Friday Deals 2016 list for loads of other great bargains.
Google's operating system can boast almost as massive a stable of high-quality apps as iOS, but Android's key strength is perhaps the sheer variety of handsets on offer. Whether you're in the market for a powerful phablet or a dinky burner, you're certain to find a manufacturer that can cater to your needs.
When shopping for a Black Friday Android deal, it's worth taking a moment to consider not only what size and level of performance you're after, but also whether your chosen handset will be kept up to date with regular manufacturer updates.
Windows 10 Mobile
Microsoft's mobile operating system was formerly known as Windows Phone, but was recently rebranded to denote its close ties to the Windows 10 desktop OS. As such, it may tempt those who use PCs on a daily basis, or those who enjoy Microsoft's geometric design.
Unfortunately, Windows 10 Mobile still isn't home to a number of major apps, and meagre sales leave the platform with an uncertain future. Unless you're a Microsoft die-hard, it's hard to recommend investing in a Windows 10 Mobile flagship at this point, but expect to see lower-end Lumias available for big savings this Black Friday.
Looking for Xbox savings as well? Check our guide to the best Xbox One Black Friday deals
Getting more for less
Buying a phone outright is usually a pricey proposition, but in recent years a number of manufacturers have sprung up offering flagship specs for mid-range prices. They may not have the brand recognition of Samsung or Sony, but the OnePlus 3 and Xiaomi Mi 5 are just two examples of capable handsets with reasonable price-tags. Find either of these at a discounted price, and you'll have yourself a bona fide Black Friday bargain.
In the US, Amazon has recently begun selling cell phones from Blu and Motorola at reduced prices if you agree to accept ads in your lockscreen and notification tray. Given that the retailer has a vested interest in getting these phones into as many pockets as possible, it may offer even deeper discounts on Black Friday, too.
Finally, if you have your heart set on an iPhone but can't justify the high ticket price for an unlocked Apple handset, consider the iPhone SE. It's hardly cheap, but a reasonable starting price paired with a Black Friday discount could make Apple's smallest phone an attractive buy.
Where to buy