The night of the supermoon is almost upon us - and either Activision's pretty canny at picking out release dates, or its insane ability to burn money knows no bounds as it alters the elliptical orbit of Earth's satellite in order to see off the release of Bungie's new game with a bang.

We're going to be marking the launch day of what's quite possibly the year's biggest game with an afternoon of updates, some of your impressions of Destiny and a livestream to see us through to 5pm - when we can all saunter home and actually play guilt free.

Our live coverage of this event has finished

*ahem* Hello? We're going to get this up and running in about five minutes - good to see a few of you here already!

Hey hey! So for the next couple of hours we're going to be bringing you some updates around the launch of Destiny, plus a nice meaty livestream for a couple of hours to take us through until 5pm when we can all actually go and play the game for ourselves.

I've just partaken in some EXTREME Destiny purchasing.

For reasons too boring to disclose, I just went into Lewisham GAME to pick up a copy in full make-up. No-one seemed too fussed, thankfully.

And the nice chap behind the counter was kind enough to show me photos on his phone of the midnight launch last night - the queue went all the way to the Wetherspoons. Impressive!

bobfish09 says:

You sure that wasn't the Wetherspoons queue going all the way to Game?

Ha! I took his word for it, but it was a rugged looking queue. It's Lewisham at midnight, though, so I guess it's to be expected.

Skinja says:

I can't wait for PSN to crash.

It's been surprisingly sturdy so far - I was on a couple of hours this morning, Ian's been playing most of the day, and there have been no problems. Whether it can deal with the pressure as America wakes is another matter, though.

Sammoore says:

There's word of technical issues on Ian's side. Are we sure we won't get a repeat of the GTAV incident?

The technical issues were his PC eating itself this morning. Should be fixed now - and we've got Twitch for back-up should it decide to go boom again.

The biggest question I have right now is has anyone unlocked McCartney yet?

You might have missed the story earlier in August that McCartney's doing the theme tune for Destiny - yet no-one seems to have heard it yet.

I'm hoping for some spunky Live and Let Die number - and I'm guessing it's over the end credits. The world rushes to unlock it!

It's like an amazingly expensive version of Noby Noby Boy as everyone races past the moon, Venus and Mars to unlock McCartney.

Maybe it's some McCartney 2-esque excellence. I love that photo - what's Paul seen?

Or what's he just smelt, for that matter.

I skipped the Lewisham midnight launch last night to go to the launch event, where I was completely lost as to who any of the celebrities were. Quiz time! See if you can name any of this lot.

(and bear with my awful internet upload speed)

thedaveeyres says:

Des Walker and Gary Mabbutt.

We have a winner! Next...

I take it you're all either stumped or, perhaps, utterly starstruck.

podgek293 says:

i'm clearly busy in work, all this typing makes it seem that way to the boss

Glad to be of service!

One last one for you.

bobfish09 says:

Those last two look thrilled to be there!

That's actually me and Wes! (It actually isn't)

Mox says:

Dr. Ben Goldacre and the cadaver of Kenny Everett?

And we have a winner here too! Your prize is in the post.

Our stream is going live in 30 seconds time....

A few people are asking about the review - I'll point you towards Oli's blog the other day which explains the situation.

One last bonus picture for you. Who could it be?

That's right! It's Janet Ellis and Shep the Dog!

Uncompetative says:

ian has a lovely relaxing voice

I get him to talk me to sleep at night. He still hasn't complained to HR about it, which is nice.

Some stories from Destiny's launch day that you may have missed.

You might have noticed that Sony's been very much getting behind Destiny - and Microsoft very much hasn't (or, more truthfully, hasn't been able to).

And they confirmed to Wes late last week that it's very much their big Christmas game.

Technoishmatt says:

Dammit, chrome slow te refresh :)

You missed out on the most exquisite prize by mere seconds.

There's also this handy patch note list, which reads very much like an MMO patch note list unsurprisingly.

Sammoore says:

trying to follow both, martin and the video itself is blagging my head

Multi-task!

There was also this cool story about Destiny's Tower hub being recreated in Minecraft.

sjmlondon says:

Has Sophie got a new album out? Is there any other reason for her to be there?

She just loves games. Also, presumably, appearance fees.

My favourite thing from across the web so far for Destiny's launch (aside from that awesome Microsoft Destiny fragrance story) was this heroic live report from Tescos at the stroke of midnight last night on CVG.

Has anyone had a chance to actually play much yet? Has anyone been truly heroic and taken the day off work, or - even better - called a sickie?

Sammoore says:

One of the fellows in the YT comments says he's finished the story in one 18 hour session.

Looking into it, around 10-12 hours seems about the time it's taking people to see through the story missions.

Of course, clearing the story missions is only the start in a game like this (or it should be, at least).

I personally stormed through the first five story missions and pretty much everything on Earth in under two hours this morning.

But mostly that's because I've gone through that mill three or four times beforehand in the beta.

As we've just been reminded, 9/9 was a date that was once significant for another reason in video games.

If you don't know why that date's significant, we can't be friends anymore.

(It was the launch of the Dreamcast, some 15 years ago).

simplesimonsays says:

Anyone else fool enough to get the Ghost Edition? I did and got a nice torn box, money well spent :(

Booo. I gave up on Collector's Editions some time ago - I went for Game's Vanguard edition, which was just a vanilla boxed copy with some pretty pointless DLC thrown in.

Dinomo says:

Excuse my genuine ignorance, but how is Destiny and different to Borderlands?

It's a legit question. The social/MP stuff is woven in much tighter in Destiny, from what I understand. Borderlands has more guns though!

I personally have never got on with Borderland's humour, art and shooting. So most of it, really.

Love the loot though.

karlo87 says:

So how's the content looking? Is it obvious they're gonna milk it with DLC or are the planets nicely fleshed out with lots of stuff?

Most people - on the EG team anyway - have only got to the limits of what we saw in the beta, which is about two hours of game. It looks like a run-through will take around 10-12 hours for a single character to the end-game, which seems fair enough.

Dinomo says:

Thanks Martin and @Sammoore for your answers! I must say I'm tempted to dive into next gen for it! Maybe wait until Christmas...

Apologies for the sales pitch, but if you get a current gen version now you can upgrade to next gen for free a bit further down the line.

Uncompetative says:

Dreamcast failed in Europe because Sony announced the PS2 on 3/99 and everyone waited a year for it to turn up. Dirty trick.

It's crazy how big the gaps were between other consoles in previous generations. Looking back at the year or more between Xbox 360 and PS3, it's no wonder Microsoft mopped up.

melnificent says:

Martin, that's inaccurate at present. The cross-buy on Playstation is completely non-functional.I pre-ordered yet nothing is showing as paid. Guardian Edition has just vanished into the ether

Sorry to hear that - I saw your comment earlier, and it's something we're looking into for a report on the site.

melnificent says:

Also it totally sucks not being able to play on launch day. Our condolences!

Some quick early impressions from a couple of hours with the game - and from the team's general observations.

The level gap between players has been a bit of a problem with a few of us here, and even this early on people are feeling left behind and unable to really play alongside higher level characters.

And as Chris pointed out, having grenades as an unlock is pretty dumb (even if they do unlock relatively early).

Beyond that, I'm happy with what I've played so far. Looking forward to going beyond the beta content later tonight.

Who's rolled what class? I've gone a human female Warlock, who's already looking pretty mean.

binky says:

human female Hunter for me. Looking forward to actually playing it tonight, rather than just setting up a character and falling asleep like last night.

Ha, I love when big game launch excitement clashes against the reality of actually trying to stay up past midnight (especially if, like me, you're of a certain age)

Wes, the champ, played through 'til 3am. My strategy was getting up at 6am for a quick blast.

melnificent says:

Martin, I've got unedited screenshots of my email and the store as it displays at the moment.

I'll send you a PM in a moment.

Sammoore says:

did anyone other than Ian get an early review copy?

Copies seemingly went out to some people over the weekend, but it's all for nought anyway as servers didn't go live until yesterday.

Oceadge says:

Played it for about 25 minutes and then suddenly I got a screen saying:"ERROR Removed from the game world. Please try again. There may be a problem with your Internet connection."I rejoined the game and it put me right back to the start.Sigh.Not going to bother playing it again today.

Welcome to the wonderful always online future! It can be kind of awful sometimes.

Here's an unsurprising rumour (I'll admit I'm not too sure about the source) - a Destiny movie may be in the works.

Given how far and wide the extended universe of Halo went, it was surely only a matter of time before there were tie-ins for Destiny.

If anything I was surprised that when I went to Game earlier there were only Destiny-branded mugs being sold alongside the game.

It was to my absolute horror that I was actually tempted to buy one. I'm the worst. I am the enemy.

IcemanAFC - Bungie to return to Mac after that near-miss 15 years ago? Oh, and maybe a new phone or something.

Uncompetative says:

Do you think it should have opt-out proximity voice and press X to party up like in Halo 3?

I haven't really tinkered around enough with Destiny's options to know whether I miss it or not right now I'm afraid.

simplesimonsays says:

I'm quite surprised that more hasn't been mentioned regarding the damaged Ghost Editions that have been sent out by Game. With no chance of replacements due to stock having all been sold through, surely this is quite a big issue?

If it's a widespread problem we'll definitely look into it. It's an awful lot of money to hand over and then get a damaged product.

Uncompetative says:

@simplesimonsays Surely you just need to hold Square to Revive Dead Ghost!

Too soon!

Important question time! What's everyone's strategy for tonight?

One thing I've noticed playing through the opening of Destiny - all the money in the world doesn't mean your expensive voice talent won't be audibly dismissive of video games in their performances.

IcemanAFC says:

Well Martin my strategy is to watch some football and then dive in to the FIFA demo. All this while I much on prawn crackers and indulge in some fine Chinese dining ;)

That's... That's not what I was asking. But it's legit.

binky says:

Tonight's Strategy: 1) Wait for wifey to allow me access to the TV in order to play video games. 2) Fall asleep due to being up too late yesterday evening.3) Spend all Wednesday F5ing EG reading other people's experiences of Destiny.

Also legit, if a little depressing.

I can't exactly be disparaging about anyone's Destiny strategy, though. There's nothing heroic in grabbing some beers, microwave pizza and planting myself on the sofa.

Here's a nice treat for you - someone's collated all of the Destiny trading cards.

Mojopriest says:

My ps4 Destiny bundle (procured for the tidy sum of £329 - thank you Amazon preorder price guarantee) is due to arrive between 6 and 7 so I'm heading home now, I'm hooking up a saline drip and molding a chair out of neuro-tactile gel which will prevent me from developing bedsores and then rollicking all over Destiny for 127 hours.

*salutes*

For those clock-watching (and I'm not, honestly) there are now two minutes to go...

simplesimonsays says:

My strategy is trying to play through all the content I completed during the Beta (again) and then wait until my next day off from work so I can play new content and feel like I've actually bought a new game.

You can do it in around 90 minutes - I did this morning.

60 seconds....

It is now 5pm. Leave your desks. Stroll out of those office doors. Run down that street. Go home and play Destiny.

Thanks for sticking with us through some of the technical difficulties with the stream, and thanks to Oli and Ian for playing.

deanimate 4 years ago
    Just looks so boring. Thankfully we have Evolve not far away
    vanDevious 4 years ago
    In our younger and less technology savvy days me and a mate used to get the bus to stratford to meet a guy who'd sell 10 dreamcast games for £20. Happy happy days indeed.
    PSfourskin 4 years ago
    @Retro_ yeah. of all the people i knew that owned dreamcasts no one ever bough games they just had massive CD binders full of CDR's.sad
    MrSaracen 4 years ago
    The one on the right of Ashley Young is Danny Care who plays Rugby union
    Retro_ 4 years ago
    Also, Dreamcast games were too easy to pirate, must of helped kill it off :(
    Retro_ 4 years ago
    Got AvP on Jaguar, ditto Dreamcast. Managed to get HalfLife 1 on DC, Smooth as. :)
    PSfourskin 4 years ago
    @ahrmon surely if EG was blinded by sonys grubby money they would of just had a 10/10 first thing this morning and then just fucked off down the pub in there new mercades for a few pints.
    PSfourskin 4 years ago
    @uncompetative a launch lunch!
    ahrmon 4 years ago
    "The end-game's super important, which is why we're holding off for review until we've seen all we can of it."That's fucking hilarious. Truly. Shocking how forgiving you guys are of a game now that Sony has "gotten behind it". Or are you so blinded that you can't even identify the bias anymore?
    simplesimonsays 4 years ago
    Mojopriest 4 years ago
    Eugh, that salute has turned to dust under my pile of lies
    melnificent 4 years ago
    My strategy is to play counterSpy while I wait for sony to fix my digital order :(
    Mojopriest 4 years ago
    In reality I'm going to snag a quick three or four hours until I have to go to bed because my daughter doesn't care about video games (yet) and will be waking me up at 6am regardless.
    melnificent 4 years ago
    @simplesimonsays Ohhh I forgot about that me too. Don't forget the bought Electronic Boutique too
    Rubbish_Russ 4 years ago
    Been working from home and desperately trying to get my children fed, bathed and in bed so I can have a proper go on my PS4 copy.Loading screen looked nice though.
    Mojopriest 4 years ago
    simplesimonsays 4 years ago
    @Meinificent I'd be interested in an article that looks into the way Game bought Gamestation (getting past the competitions committee thing by saying they'd run them as separate entities) and how they slowly managed to merge the brands while also killing off their only big high street competition (I'm not a bitter ex Gamestation employee honest ;) )
    binky 4 years ago
    Microwave Pizza? Anything you add after that is now just white noise, you bad man.
    binky 4 years ago
    Thanks. That's my life, that is.
    simplesimonsays 4 years ago
    @meinificent It seems our lovely friends across the pond also have difficulty looking after stock as well, seen reports of many damaged "Ghosts" in the US too.
    binky 4 years ago
    melnificent 4 years ago
    I'd love an EG story on GAMEs failures since the financial troubles they had a few years ago.Bait and Switch, Damaged goods, GAME Exclusive items.
    simplesimonsays 4 years ago
    @Uncompetative It made me laugh (even through the tears as I stared at my torn Ghost Edition and the thought of the derisory £15 reward points I was offered for my £150 purchase)
    melnificent 4 years ago
    @simplesimonsays GAME have never been known for keeping things in good condition. I've had pre-order GAME Exclusive items "go missing".
    IcemanAFC 4 years ago
    Retro_ 4 years ago
    No sign of my copy today..... Noooo!
    Dondiggler 4 years ago
    Skinja wrote:I can't wait for PSN to crash.Is that because you get paid double overtime to fix it?
    simplesimonsays 4 years ago
    Sammoore 4 years ago
    have any video game movies actually been successful and/or any good?
    IcemanAFC 4 years ago
    Martin, tell me....what do you expect from the Apple reveal event today?
    Viperl0 4 years ago
    This may be the most over hyped game I have ever played. Yes it looks nice and is polished beyond belief, but you would expect that with a $500 million budget. What money can't but you however is... soul. In my opinion it is a completely soulless, hollow, empty gaming experience.
    Oceadge 4 years ago
    Carpetfluff 4 years ago
    PSN seems confused about who's playing what version too; my friend and I are both playing from disc but our profiles are telling the world we're playing the Digital Guardians version.No server issues so far at least.
    Sammoore 4 years ago
    did anyone other than Ian get an early review copy?
    melnificent 4 years ago
    binky 4 years ago
    @Martin WHAT are you suggesting? (God, I'm tired!)
    melnificent 4 years ago
    @IcemanAFC Nice little bait and switch there by Sony. No mention of that until today.That isn't my problem though. I have a purchase and it's literally disappeared from my purchase history entirely. The store shows that I can buy it again if I want to spend more to play.
    binky 4 years ago
    melnificent 4 years ago
    kevinbeaumont 4 years ago
    I'm surprised by the lack of general knowledge about the game from the masses. I'm pondering if Activision have a problem on their hands.
    Dinomo 4 years ago
    Welp, guess I'm going shopping after work.
    Dinomo 4 years ago
    karlo87 4 years ago
    Sammoore 4 years ago
    and the tone is completely different. It's very grimdark and serious
    Sammoore 4 years ago
    Mechanically, there's a lot less loot, and a system to upgrade guns
    Dinomo 4 years ago
    Excuse my genuine ignorance, but how is Destiny and different to Borderlands?
    simplesimonsays 4 years ago
    Progguitarist 4 years ago
    Sophie was there to use her chin as a plow in case they couldn't sell all the copies manufactured. "Mrs. Plow is the name, that name again is Mr's Plow".
    melnificent 4 years ago
    Well the Playstation store has eaten lots of destiny pre-orders. Mine included....Can't play it for 1-2 days while it is sorted out :(
    Sammoore 4 years ago
    telboy007 4 years ago
    Why the hell did some prick talking about nintendo 3ds pop up? Video ads on a page with an EG video running? AWESOME! WELL DONE!
    DaisyD 4 years ago
    so far, so glad i cancelled my pre-orderyet another media hyped 'TRUE NEXT GEN!!!' pile of guff like Titanfalland Titanfall was at least fun for a few hours
    sjmlondon 4 years ago
    Has Sophie got a new album out? Is there any other reason for her to be there?
    jabberwocky 4 years ago
    Ahh Sophie Ellis Bextor, anyone else remember her feud with Posh Spice? Me neither,,,,,,,
    Sammoore 4 years ago
    trying to follow both, martin and the video itself is blagging my head
    Sammoore 4 years ago
    if this is too slow, there's a second redundant live comment thing on youtube itself
    Technoishmatt 4 years ago
    Dammit, chrome slow te refresh :)
    Technoishmatt 4 years ago
    Sophie Ellis Bextor
    wyp100 4 years ago
    Fun Sophie Ellis-Bextor story: during Call of Duty: Black Ops launch party in Battersea Power Station she tweeted "In a room of gamers. I feel so alone." It went down well
    podgek293 4 years ago
    higton is the only guy i watch livestream, funny man, appreciate his stuff.. good job, he deserves a raise
    podgek293 4 years ago
    wonder how i'll justify earphones... and the lack of typing, or caring
    bobfish09 4 years ago
    You wish you looked that young Martin!
    podgek293 4 years ago
    ashley young can't even look competent when pretending to play games and posing... looks lost and he's just staring at a camera
    Sammoore 4 years ago
    don't know who he is, but I wouldn't want to meet the one on the right in a dark alley
    MonkeyFunker 4 years ago
    You know you're getting old when you look at those pictures and think "Did your mother really let you out looking like that?"
    Mox 4 years ago
    Dr. Ben Goldacre and the cadaver of Kenny Everett?
    pchetz 4 years ago
    only thing of note so far is dark denim is in
    bobfish09 4 years ago
    Those last two look thrilled to be there!
    podgek293 4 years ago
    that's ted from how i met your mother on the left (or right depending on point of view)
    thedaveeyres 4 years ago
    Crazy Ira and The Douche.
    wyp100 4 years ago
    I have absolutely no idea who those lads are
    podgek293 4 years ago
    is it boy george and his merry men?
    podgek293 4 years ago
    i'm clearly busy in work, all this typing makes it seem that way to the boss
    podgek293 4 years ago
    badly dressed boys?
    Thrice87 4 years ago
    @podgek293 nah he's a bit fatter than that. Apparently
    podgek293 4 years ago
    luke shaw no?
    podgek293 4 years ago
    shouldn't they be training? or you know not playing games at midnight when they're doing piss poorly for their team... actually that's just young... useless
    thedaveeyres 4 years ago
    Des Walker and Gary Mabbutt.
    wyp100 4 years ago
    Isn't that Ashley Young on the left?
    Thrice87 4 years ago
    Guy on the left is Ashley Young of Manchester United fame. No idea about that other guy
    Scuzz 4 years ago
    I have to admit I know absolutely nothing about the game outside of it being by Bungie. Enough of my friends are hyped about it that I ran out and picked it up at lunchtime. Roll on 5pm.
    podgek293 4 years ago
    wait wait wait... you buy your own copies??? my dreams of becoming a game journalist are shattered... i thought this was perks of the job..noooooooooooooooooo
    Sammoore 4 years ago
    SnoppleMonster 4 years ago
    I've got the XBone version with a new console. But mates are playing it on the PS4. Argh.... should I swap?
    humanchu 4 years ago
    so I've preordered this with a ps4 but I'm not sure whether I should go next gen right now. hmmm...what do you say?
    bobfish09 4 years ago
    You sure that wasn't the Wetherspoons queue going all the way to Game?
    thedaveeyres 4 years ago
    Done a couple of story missions - very enjoyable. One thing that struck me: Robo-Tyrion, aka Ghost... is the entire game just a futuristic GoT spin-off? I'm hoping so.
    Timmy_Toldrum 4 years ago
    @Jabberwocky. Not that I can tell so far. No issues at all. Playing PS4 version.
    blarty 4 years ago
    @jabberwocky I was on PS4 at lunchtime and everything appeared to be fine, will see how it goes over the evening.
    el_pollo_diablo 4 years ago
    It is my Destiny to watch this for about 5 minutes before getting bored.
    blarty 4 years ago
    There doesn't appear to have been much network problems as yet.... players were in game fine and downloads weren't laggy and I've seen plenty of people on the What's new page have been playing the digital edition.
    Skinja 4 years ago
    I can't wait for PSN to crash.
    binky 4 years ago
    Downloading and playing Destiny until 1.30am and then having to tend to my 4 year old with leg ache at 3am = tired me.Curse you, Bungie.
    Retro_ 4 years ago
    My copy gets delivered to work whilst I have a day off...... spot the idiot!!
    podgek293 4 years ago
    @jabberwocky reports are sketchy about it some sites saying it's playing up, some saying it's handling it fine, some saying it's slow but not detrimental
    EvilWaterman 4 years ago
    @Bludsh0tAs soon as I get home from work and see it on my door mat (cross fingers) i'll tell you. ;-)
    jabberwocky 4 years ago
    So how is the online running at the moment then everyone who's playing it? Is it the clusterfuck everyone was expecting or has the PSN managed to handle it?
    PSfourskin 4 years ago
    @chococat i've already given them £350 for a white PS4/destiny bundle. seems as good price as anywhere. the white PS4 is just a bonus
    repeater 4 years ago
    That wizard came from the supermoon?
    Bludsh0t 4 years ago
    @EvilWaterman How great out of 10?
    Korpers 4 years ago
    It's awesome. I was expecting it to be a bit too 'halo-y' but it isn't at all. It feels solid and gritty and gorgeous all at the same time. Can't wait to see how it all starts to evolve.
    EvilWaterman 4 years ago
    *paid
    EvilWaterman 4 years ago
    @chococat I get what you're saying but bare in mind GAME only really sell video games/game related items. Tesco however sell everything including the kitchen sink (https://www.tescokitchens.com/finishing-touches/kitchen-sinks) so they can sell the video games at a loss or only small profit that gets people in the door, then will buy other stuff. I think its called a loss leader or something!Anyway, I payed £48 from GAME for mine.
    pmj85 4 years ago
    I hope all those who have it are enjoying themselves :) unfortunately I can't partake as I'm as busy as all hell with work and family at the moment. Kill a few n00bs for me, guys!
    shortyluke2010 4 years ago
    Anyone got a digital copy they wanna give me? ;)
    Timmy_Toldrum 4 years ago
    Really enjoying it so far and people I've met seem friendly too. No issues at all with MP or any bugs to speak of.
    chococat 4 years ago
    Tesco - £40. GAME - £54.99.Do not give GAME your money.
    EvilWaterman 4 years ago
    Here's my review:IT'S GREAT!
    Bludsh0t 4 years ago
    Just give me a damn review!