Sega's World War 2 strategy sequel, Company of Heroes 2, is receiving a couple of free maps, the Southern Fronts paid DLC, and Steam Workshop integration for its user-created maps made from World Builder today.
Priced at £2.99 / €3.99 / $4.99, the Southern Fronts expansion features 10 challenges set in Russia and the Ukraine during early 1943's muddy season. As such, the sludge is a new environmental feature to contend with that will impact vehicle movement.
For more details on Southern Fronts, here's the rundown courtesy of Sega:
- Solo Challenge: Spring Rasputitsa: Donbas Region, Ukraine, 1943 - the spring rasputitsa season has caught the German army off guard. They are poorly equipped to deal with the deep mud and are having trouble mobilizing. Lead an ambush on the German Panzer Division and destroy them before the support infantry can free them and they escape.
- Solo Challenge: Occupation: Dnieper River, Russia, 1943 - beginning their counteroffensive against the Red Army, the Wehrmacht makes their way along the Dnieper River. By capturing and taking control of an important Soviet stronghold, the Wehrmacht will be able to set up a fortified position against the Red Army and eliminate their remaining forces.
- AI Battle: Retreat to the Donets: Donets River, Ukraine, 1943 - after Operations Star and Gallop succeeded in pushing the Germans back to the Dnieper River, the Soviets found their advantage quickly collapsing as they again lost the cities of Kharkov and Belgorod. The Soviets must hold the bank of the Donets River against invading German forces on the ground and from the air.
- AI Battle: Panzer Crossing: Western outskirts of Kharkov, Ukraine, 1943 - the advancing German forces make their way into the outskirts of western Kharkov. The Red Army prepares to defend against the incoming German armor assault with the aid of anti-tank emplacements.
- AI Battle: No Retreat, No Surrender: Southwest of Kharkov, Ukraine, 1943 - the Soviets have suddenly found themselves on the defensive, with a reorganized German Army pushing back with renewed vigor and beginning to reclaim territory in the region around Kharkov. You must hold the line and halt the German Army's advance towards Kharkov.
- AI Battle: Breaking Lines: West Donbas Region, Ukraine, 1943 - the Red Army is pushing westwards with Operation Gallop. The German defenders are retreating to the Dnieper river. On the 19th of February, the Red Army broke through German lines and pushed towards Zaporizhia. Soviet forces must swiftly search out the remaining pockets of German defenders and destroy them.
- AI Battle: Storming the Donets: Donets River, Ukraine, 1943 - after retaking the city of Kharkov, the German Army pushed eastwards and reclaimed the surrounding area. The Red Army fell back, retreating to a position behind the Donets River. The Germans must attack the Soviet forces on the bank of the river and secure territory on the Donets before the Red Army can form a defensive line.
- AI Battle: Heavy Rain: West of Kharkov, Ukraine, 1943 - after being halted in a bloody battle against the Red Army's defenders, German forces have regrouped and prepare to use the cover of night to break through the enemies defenses and continue their assault into Kharkov.
- AI Battle: General Mud: Southwest of Kharkov, Ukraine, 1943 - the Germans had been driven back to the Dnieper River and were forced to regroup and reorganize. However, with the Red Army vastly overextended, the Wehrmacht seized the opportunity to launch a counterattack and regain the upper hand. With the return of Panzergrenadier Division Großdeutschland, push north through Soviet territory towards Kharkov.
- AI Battle: Kharkov Divide: North of Kharkov, Ukraine, 1943 - in their advance towards Kharkov, German forces are ordered towards the north in an attempt to eliminate the remaining pockets of Soviet resistance. The Wehrmacht has deployed their heavy armor to break through the Red Army's defenses in an effort to complete their encirclement.
As far as free content goes, the two new maps are Hill 331 and Don River.
Elsewhere, the first Company of Heroes is getting new features on Steam, such as leaderboards and battle and arbitration servers.