Christmas hamper anyone? Page 4

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• pjmaybe 3 Dec 2008 13:47:06 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How about pig's trotters?

My welsh granny used to do these when I was a kid, and I remember them actually not being too bad - very bacony but with a sort of "cheesy" undercurrent to 'em.

Not much meat on em so you always had to have about four or more but very nice nonetheless (at least my very decrepit old memory seems to remember them being nice enough to eat more than once)

Or faggots. Now, those are probably made of something positively vile but because they were saucy and quite rich I seem to remember liking those as a kid too...
  • smoothpete 3 Dec 2008 13:47:32 31,507 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sprouts are lovely. More vitamin C than oranges.
  • angeltreats 3 Dec 2008 13:49:10 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm trying to think of anything I like to eat that other people would consider disgusting, but I can't really think of any... apart from boiled potatoes and baked beans all mashed up together. It was one of the few ways my mum could get potatoes into me as a kid and I never really grew out of it.
  • pjmaybe 3 Dec 2008 13:49:56 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I love sprouts though I can fully understand where A_T is coming from. Again, my Welsh Granny (lawd rest her soul) used to cook all veg (not just sprouts) until it literally fell apart in the pan and had all the goodness boiled out of it.

Soon as I was old enough to cook I made a christmas dinner with sprouts, steamed 'em for about 10 minutes just so they were soft but still had a bit of bite to them and they were absolutely lovely. In fact they're now one of my fave bits of the meal.

• skuzzbag 3 Dec 2008 13:50:08 5,638 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Faggots great!

Read and feel the love

As a Black Country lad it's actually illegal for me not to like faggots.

only from a buchers mind, Brains faggots are filth
  • markh 3 Dec 2008 13:50:10 3,598 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Sprouts are lovely. More vitamin C than oranges.

+1 sprouts are great if cooked properly :)
  • angeltreats 3 Dec 2008 13:50:12 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh and kind of back to the OP, I've never shopped in Fortnums, but every time I walk past it I have to ogle the window displays, they're always lovely and I'm a sucker for pretty packaging, especially if it's stacked up and revolving.
  • pjmaybe 3 Dec 2008 13:51:26 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    Faggots great!

Read and feel the love

Wow, that's ace - I actually know what caul is now...
    Ugh, I've eaten caul soup too... :(
  • angeltreats 3 Dec 2008 13:52:19 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I love sprouts though I can fully understand where A_T is coming from. Again, my Welsh Granny (lawd rest her soul) used to cook all veg (not just sprouts) until it literally fell apart in the pan and had all the goodness boiled out of it.

Soon as I was old enough to cook I made a christmas dinner with sprouts, steamed 'em for about 10 minutes just so they were soft but still had a bit of bite to them and they were absolutely lovely. In fact they're now one of my fave bits of the meal.

All women over a certain age do this, and especially if they're Irish. My mum to this day boils any veg until it turns into mush (her mushy peas are actually liquid, you could drink them through a straw and I'm not exaggerating). I didn't know until I was in my twenties that parnips and turnip are actually really tasy and didn't have to me all mashed up and disgusting. God bless ovens and drizzles of olive oil :)

I have to leave this thread, I have stuff I need to get done today and talking about food is not helping me to stop procrastinating.
  • billythekid 3 Dec 2008 13:52:56 11,132 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    skuzzbag wrote:
    Faggots great!

Read and feel the love

Wow, that's ace - I actually know what caul is now...
    Ugh, I've eaten caul soup too... :(

I just looked that up, wish I didn't :(
  • pjmaybe 3 Dec 2008 13:55:06 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:

All women over a certain age do this, and especially if they're Irish. My mum to this day boils any veg until it turns into mush (her mushy peas are actually liquid, you could drink them through a straw and I'm not exaggerating). I didn't know until I was in my twenties that parnips and turnip are actually really tasy and didn't have to me all mashed up and disgusting. God bless ovens and drizzles of olive oil :)

I have to leave this thread, I have stuff I need to get done today and talking about food is not helping me to stop procrastinating.

Ditto on the parsnips!!!

My other nan (the english one) used to sneakily mix parsnips and potatoes together roasted - I used to HATE the sort of sickly sweet flavour of parsnips after tucking into one thinking it was a roast potato but since i've cooked 'em meself, I've liked them a lot better (great sliced, par boiled then roasted...om nom nom)

this thread is making me avoid eating my curly home made sarnies...
  • smoothpete 3 Dec 2008 13:56:22 31,507 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    How about pig's trotters?
    Only ever seen them when my mum boiled one for about 4 hours prior to making a pork pie (for the jelly). Looked rancid. I would probably give them a go though
  • w00t 3 Dec 2008 13:57:27 11,102 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm having trouble thinking of anything I wouldn't try at least twice (just in case the first one was cooked/prepared wrong). Hmmm.

Oh, except the liver that was served at my primary school lunches. Horp.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• thefilthandthefury 3 Dec 2008 13:58:25 25,018 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    Faggots great!

Read and feel the love

only from a buchers mind, Brains faggots are filth

Best bit from the link:

Faggots were used as the subject of an infamous 2004 radio advert by the UK supermarket chain Somerfield. The commercial featured a husband challenging his wife's repetitive routine of a set meal for each day of the week. While he wanted lasagne, he was told that, as it was Friday, he was to have faggots. He responded: "I've nothing against faggots, I just don't fancy them."

This advert was subsequently deemed to have breached the rules on Good Taste, Decency and Offence to Public Feeling of the Advertising and Sponsorship Code, and was banned from future re-broadcast by the industry regulator, Ofcom
  • pjmaybe 3 Dec 2008 13:58:57 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This thread really does make me consider paying for my anti-allergy jabs again just to try this stuff again once more...

Only problem is, if I did that, I'd probably end up the same size as Mr Creosote from going on a meat-scoffing bender.
  • billythekid 3 Dec 2008 14:00:17 11,132 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    I'm having trouble thinking of anything I wouldn't try at least twice (just in case the first one was cooked/prepared wrong). Hmmm.

Even from this place?

• smoothpete 3 Dec 2008 14:00:37 31,507 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Tripe - vile
  • w00t 3 Dec 2008 14:02:04 11,102 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    w00t wrote:

Even from this place?

I'd try it if someone else was paying. 250!

• skuzzbag 3 Dec 2008 14:03:50 5,638 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    An image that will stay with me forever was when I was in a pub in the back-o-beyond Black Country in the bar, and some bloke brought a plate of these wobbly looking things in. He shoutet "Chittlins!" and the place turned into a mad scrum as all the over 60's converged on the bar wolfed them down with gusto and then vacated the area just as quick.

Turned out chittlins was the pickled neck of a chicken.

I never tried one myself. You had to be bloody quick for a start.

I'm wrong I just checked.

crap it's worse it's the small intestines of a pig.

• Goban 3 Dec 2008 14:04:50 9,054 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Tripe - vile
    Tripe is delicious, just not stewed in milk

/shudders at the smell
  • Deleted user 3 December 2008 14:06:11
    smoothpete wrote:
    Haggis is delicious. Last stuff I had was with neaps and tatties and a whisky cream sauce, one of the nicest things I've ever eaten

yup. And sprouts are amazing too. First thing I eat at Christmas dinner. :)
  • skuzzbag 3 Dec 2008 14:07:16 5,638 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did anyone's parents used to save dripping fat in a pan and then spread it on bread?
  • pjmaybe 3 Dec 2008 14:09:13 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My nan still does
  • smoothpete 3 Dec 2008 14:09:34 31,507 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    Did anyone's parents used to save dripping fat in a pan and then spread it on bread?
    Yeah my dad did that. That's a hangover from post-war days when rationing was still in place and people made the best of what they had.
  • rudedudejude 3 Dec 2008 14:12:17 2,173 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow that is gross, never really knew what foie gras was.

The next feeding phase, which the French call gavage or finition d'engraissement, or "completion of fattening", involves forced daily ingestion of controlled amounts of feed for 12 to 15 days with ducks and for 15 to 18 days with geese.

The feed is administered using a funnel fitted with a long tube (2030 cm long), which forces the feed into the animal's esophagus; if an auger is used, the feeding takes about 45 to 60 seconds. Modern systems usually use a tube fed by a pneumatic pump;[45] with such a system the operation time per duck takes about 2 to 3 seconds. During feeding, efforts are made to avoid damaging the bird's esophagus, which could cause injury or death.

f***ing gross tbh.
  • skuzzbag 3 Dec 2008 14:20:12 5,638 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had a pizza that had lots of cute little baby octopus on it.

I guzzled that fucker down, oh yes.
  • pjmaybe 3 Dec 2008 14:20:15 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Really used to like black and white pudding. Don't care about what it was made of, again it fell neatly into that category of being food that doesn't really look too bad.

Some offal though, ugh, it just looks wrong. Wholly wrong.

Anyone ever eaten snake? jellied eels? (have the latter, which were pretty fucking disgusting and made me seriously ill because the jelly was rendered pork bones)
  • skuzzbag 3 Dec 2008 14:21:07 5,638 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Most harrowing food that's made me fall foul of my "try it once, it won't kill you" philosophy was baby octopus soup from a chinese market out on the outskirts of Sydney. It had whole baby octopii in it, complete with suckery legs and bulbous squishy bodies. I think I managed to eat about one till it sort of "exploded" in my mouth, with the suckers sticking to my tongue. Ulg!

That happened to me in a really nice fish restaurant in Barcelona once. The little tentacles got stuck to the roof of my mouth :(

Personally I don't see the problem with offal. You're eating something from a dead animal, its cooked and it usually tastes nice. Liver and bacon with an onion gravy is lovely (although I had to wait until I was 18 to taste properly cooked liver).

Steak and kidney pies are lovely too, and I'm partial to a bit of black pudding, white pudding and haggis. I'd draw the line at oan fried lungs or eyeballs because IMHO that stuff is only on the menu to appeal to the macho types who want to eat gross sounding food :)

In that case why can't you get arse-hole on the menu?

• w00t 3 Dec 2008 14:22:26 11,102 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kalamari is amazing. I can eat that for hours.

• Page

of 7 First / Last