Halitosis

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • PES_Fanboy 13 Nov 2007 10:34:11 13,368 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a guy I work with, and his breath always smells exactly like horse manure.

Even after I offer him some chewing gum.

How do I tactfully request that he doesn't breathe over me? I think puking motions and wafting the air in front of my nose may be insensitive.
  • glaeken 13 Nov 2007 10:36:22 11,086 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Make him a cup of tea and sneak some Listerine into it.

If he comments about the taste just say its green tea.

• JuanKerr 13 Nov 2007 10:36:59 36,192 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had exactly the same problem with someone I used to work with. Everyone noticed it and talked about it behind his back, but no-one had the balls to actually say anything to his face.

Tricky one isn't it? Next time he speaks to you, just grimace and hold your nose.
  • jonsaan 13 Nov 2007 10:37:48 25,326 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That dude needs to go see a hygienist. Until he does, anything you attempt will be like spraying a freshly laid turd with aftershave.
    Refer it to HR.

FCUTA!

• JuanKerr 13 Nov 2007 10:39:23 36,192 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds like an odd question, but if you had hallitosis, would you know about it? When I wake up in the morning following a night on the beers, for example, I KNOW my breath smells like I've rimmed a gorilla.
  • nickthegun 13 Nov 2007 10:39:49 58,782 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My old boss was like that. Lovely lady, but she seemed to have a fear of the dentists.

her teeth were kind of green and all looked like they had fused together.

She was a proper snaggle tooth and her breath smelled like a sweaty arsehole.

She was so nice and her teeth were so rank, its hard to beleive she didnt realise, so no one told her and people just kept their distance.

My brother, on the other hand, thanks to a a bad diet and drinking too much, had breath that could strip paint, so I told him he stank like he had been necking turds, which he tried to sort out sharpish.

Uhm.....I suppose the moral of the tale is know your audience....can this guy take you telling him? Do you care if he takes offence?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• nickthegun 13 Nov 2007 10:40:54 58,782 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Sounds like an odd question, but if you had hallitosis, would you know about it? When I wake up in the morning following a night on the beers, for example, I KNOW my breath smells like I've rimmed a gorilla.

Same here, but I like to think its because i dont always smell like that.

As opposed to me stinking all the time and it just getting worse after beer....

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• JuanKerr 13 Nov 2007 10:42:46 36,192 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

Same here, but I like to think its because i dont always smell like that.

As opposed to me stinking all the time and it just getting worse after beer....

Good point, but people with hallitosis must inadvertantly smell their own breath from time to time. Or do they have a terrible sense of smell too?
  • Beanie 13 Nov 2007 10:43:59 31 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How about getting your balls out and telling him the truth?

Obviously, try not to say it in front of everyone so he doesn't feel like a twat, but try and make it out like you're doing him a favour. Lie and use Juan Kerrs story about some guy you used to work with, and that you thought it would be shitty if the same thing happened with him.
  • bauhaus 13 Nov 2007 10:44:25 3,511 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At my last job, after numerous complaints from staff I had to take an angry scottish engineer into the boardroom and tell him he stunk and needed a bath. Was expecting him to go wild and start throwing chairs around but he took it rather well and did indeed bath more often

was horrible doing it though.

he did stink
  • malteaserhead 13 Nov 2007 10:44:59 13,444 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shetland pony rimming ftl :(

maybe try a conversation about how the dentist told you that bad breath could come from gum disease (you had in the past) and how lucky you were to find that out...
  • ecureuil 13 Nov 2007 10:48:30 76,486 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    New nickname for Halo fanboys...?
  • Nemesis 13 Nov 2007 10:57:32 18,593 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Do a line-up at work. Everyone with good breath take a step forward, NOT SO FAST SHITEATER.

Subtle, like.
  • FabricatedLunatic 13 Nov 2007 11:02:11 12,994 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not always about poor oral hygiene.

This guy seems to know what he's talking about.
  • glaeken 13 Nov 2007 11:02:23 11,086 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Actually there is an easy way to resolve this. Buy a bottle of Listerine and put it on his desk with a post-it note on it saying "use me".

It's anonymous (unless there are only two of you in the office) and it leaves little doubt about what the problem is.
  • jonsaan 13 Nov 2007 11:04:09 25,326 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's HR's probalem mate. Just tell them to sort it out under Health and Safety at work. Personal Hygiene is usually covered in a handbook. It's not your issue. Just refer it.

FCUTA!

• Carlo 13 Nov 2007 11:06:06 17,948 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You get a lot of this int eh IT departments. I find it's usually the 'mouth open at the screen' drying up the airways that causes bad breath.

keep making the guy drinks and tell him you're worried about dehydration.

PSN ID: Djini

• PES_Fanboy 13 Nov 2007 11:15:56 13,368 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's Italian and has a tenuous grasp on the English language.

He knows French though, and that's my second language*, so I may just tell him he has merde breath.

* - very second, and, as such, I have far less diplomacy and tact with it. A rude Frenchman! Well I never. Etc.
  • Beanie 14 Nov 2007 12:58:41 31 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:

This guy seems to know what he's talking about.

As well as minty-fresh breath, Dr. Katz also has an excellent moustache. I be he's a hit with the ladies!
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next