Why won't my PS3 see my MP4 files?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • bivith 7 Nov 2007 12:03:04 2,466 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I intend to rip a bunch of kids films to mp4 and stick them on the PS3 harddrive, as my son has a habit of ruining the original discs, and I don't want to have to replace them.

However, whatever method I use to create the mp4's, and I've tried several, all claiming to be PS3 compatbile, I just can't get the PS3 to see them. Not over the network via uPnp, and not from a USB memory key. The files play fine in Quicktime. It's not even that they don't play on the PS3, it's simply that the PS3 doesn't list them to play.

HALP!

EDIT: just to add, I have no problems viewing pictures or playing mp3s over the network. this stuff works fine.

EDIT AGAIN: Also, these files play fine on my XBox 360, but I can't transfer them to the hard drive, which is what I ultimately want to do.
  • SeesThroughAll 7 Nov 2007 12:09:30 1,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bivith wrote:
    I intend to rip a bunch of kids films to mp4 and stick them on the PS3 harddrive, as my son has a habit of ruining the original discs, and I don't want to have to replace them.

However, whatever method I use to create the mp4's, and I've tried several, all claiming to be PS3 compatbile, I just can't get the PS3 to see them. Not over the network via uPnp, and not from a USB memory key. The files play fine in Quicktime. It's not even that they don't play on the PS3, it's simply that the PS3 doesn't list them to play.

HALP!

EDIT: just to add, I have no problems viewing pictures or playing mp3s over the network. this stuff works fine.

EDIT AGAIN: Also, these files play fine on my XBox 360, but I can't transfer them to the hard drive, which is what I ultimately want to do.

Don't know what could be wrong over UPnP, but if you're keeping them in a USB thumbstick, make sure they're inside a "VIDEO" or "MUSIC" folder. Or use the triangle menu to "Display All".
  • bivith 7 Nov 2007 12:12:58 2,466 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The triangle menu only shows "COPY". I'll try the VIDEO folder thing.
  • bivith 7 Nov 2007 12:14:02 2,466 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also when I open a folder with video in it simply says "There are no tracks"
  • SeesThroughAll 7 Nov 2007 12:18:12 1,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    do you push the triangle menu directly from the USB device icon? It should have a display all option.

EDIT: Another question, your USB device is FAT16 or FAT32, right?
  • MMMarmite 7 Nov 2007 14:20:35 1,029 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have a read through this: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3media&thread.id=23246

It should help you convert video's to MP4 using PS3Video9
  • bivith 7 Nov 2007 14:39:02 2,466 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cheers, i'll give it a try. Interestingly it mentions that the filenames shouldn't have a space, and I think mine does.
  • benjic 14 Nov 2007 10:17:20 5 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just out of curiousity, bivith, did you ever get this problem fixed?

I think I'm experiencing the same problem, but it's definitely not down to spaces. I know this because I got lucky first time with encoding 'Finding Nemo.mp4' and having it appear on my PS3, yet I've had no luck since with 'Heat.mp4' or 'Armageddon.mp4'. Neither of them show up on the PS3 video list- just Nemo, despite being in the same folder.

I should add that I'm currently trying to access these files off a Media Server (QNAP 109) too. I haven't yet tried accessing one of these mp4's off anything else, but given Nemo continues to work I'm tempted to think the problem is the media rather than the delivery medium.

I've been encoding files using DVD To PS3 Converter, but have also tried Handbrake also to no success. (I'm not so keen on using Video 9 since it looks loaded with spyware and ads and requires me to rip and encode the DVDs separately first)

Any ideas anyone?
  • bivith 14 Nov 2007 11:58:45 2,466 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I haven't got around to sorting it out yet, sorry. It seems krudster is having the same problem ( see his comment on the PS3 Divx article on the front page ).
  • bivith 14 Nov 2007 17:18:29 2,466 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I might give that a try. I have apache already.
  • benjic 15 Nov 2007 11:34:56 5 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, in light of the DIVX news, dabbling with MP4 files seems a bit pointless now, but until the DIVX happens I think I've found a reliable way of getting MP4s to work on the PS3.

It looks as though the files not appearing is all down to encoding, although why the PS3 doesn't simply display the files as unplayable I have no idea.

So what I'm doing now is:

1. Rip the DVD into one big VOB file using DVD Decrypter (http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/DVD_Decrypter/1011845169/1)

2. Encode the VOB into MP4 using 3GP Converter (http://www.psp411.com/show/product/168/0/3gp_converter.html) on the High Quality for PC setting.

3. Transfer the MP4 file to your PS3/ NAS.

Both of these apps are freeware and as far as I can tell just as fast as anything else out there but not loaded with ads or anything dodgy.
  • benjic 15 Nov 2007 12:21:42 5 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Stoner wrote:
    Depending on the resolution you should be able to drop the movies onto a psp to keep them quiet on long car journeys.

Guess so, although I suspect the same MP4 wouldn't look too good played on the PS3. I'd much prefer to encode two versions of a film than try to find a compromise in the middle.

On a related note, the 3GP Converter I mentioned above also nicely encodes for the PSP at a considerably speedier pace than it does making the high quality version for the PS3. This makes it quite feasible to knock off a second, lower res version of a film whilst you're at it.
  • Red-Moose 15 Nov 2007 12:42:38 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    benjic wrote:
    Stoner wrote:
    Depending on the resolution you should be able to drop the movies onto a psp to keep them quiet on long car journeys.

Guess so, although I suspect the same MP4 wouldn't look too good played on the PS3. I'd much prefer to encode two versions of a film than try to find a compromise in the middle.

On a related note, the 3GP Converter I mentioned above also nicely encodes for the PSP at a considerably speedier pace than it does making the high quality version for the PS3. This makes it quite feasible to knock off a second, lower res version of a film whilst you're at it.

I use the SUPER encoder which is quite good.

The PSP can support 720x480 in MP4 so no compromise is necessary - that's what I use for PS3 anyway.

The quality vs. size in MP4 is definitely superior to DivX, even when the DivX support comes out.
  • benjic 15 Nov 2007 12:49:10 5 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Red Moose wrote:
    I use the SUPER encoder which is quite good.

The PSP can support 720x480 in MP4 so no compromise is necessary - that's what I use for PS3 anyway.

The quality vs. size in MP4 is definitely superior to DivX, even when the DivX support comes out.

Not heard of that encoder, but will check it out.

Wasn't aware the PSP was okay with 720x480, although I'd still argue about encoding for the medium simply because at that resolution, you're severely limiting how many films you can fit on the memory stick.

I'm not too up on MP4's capabilities, I'll be honest- can it support surround sound like DIVX? Also I'm finding MP4s are almost double the size of DIVX files yet I've not really noticed a massive improvement in quality for all that extra file size.
  • Red-Moose 15 Nov 2007 21:25:25 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    benjic wrote:
    ....resolution, you're severely limiting how many films you can fit on the memory stick.

True, but Expansys now sell 4GB Memory Sticks for PSP for 58, so it's a lot easier carry a lot of music a video around.

I'm not too up on MP4's capabilities, I'll be honest- can it support surround sound like DIVX? Also I'm finding MP4s are almost double the size of DIVX files yet I've not really noticed a massive improvement in quality for all that extra file size.

Yup, it takes a bit to get a good balance - same as ye olden times of DivX. It's worth reading the Wikipedia entry for MP4 and have a look at the features. You would find that you can get similar quality to a DivX encode but at a lower bitrate (i.e., smaller file).

Also, AAC which is the native audio format of PS3 is sort of like a successor to MP3. It does offer 5.1 channels such as MPEG2 MP3 does (MPEG1 MP3 offers only two). However, AAC actually offers up to 48 channels of sound so it's quite a step up.

(I have no life and spend my time perfecting audio encoding!)

The SUPER encoder does an excellent job of video MP4 (using the 4.1 Main format for MP4 video) but it will only encode 2 channels of AAC audio. As with anything, your video/audio is only as good as your encoder, no matter what the format is. I only have a "2.1" audio system so don't bother much with anything else.
  • Deleted user 15 November 2007 21:41:31
    meGUI (google for it) supports converting of AC3 files (typically found on DVDs) to AAC 5.1 btw.
  • benjic 16 Nov 2007 09:54:20 5 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well thanks for all the advice folks- looks like I have a weekend ahead of me trying various different encoding apps (which I find oddly appealing).

As for the non-appearing mp4 files, I made an interesting discovery last night which will hopefully work for others too. Basically, I found that changing the Parental Control based on DVD regional code to United States (it was previously United Kingdom) in the PS3's Security settings suddenly made a bunch of mp4 files visible. This might explain why some mp4 files are hidden rather than appearing as unplayable files- it's not that the PS3 can't play them, it's that it's security is set up to deny access to them.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2007 18:39:14
    I tried to convert some files id rippped from my handycam today so i could put them on the ps3 but i also had problems with the ps3 actually finding the mp4 files! Bizarrely it could see other unsupported files on the memery stick but not the coverted mp4s? i used ps3video9 and tried various cards and streaming to no avail! aarrghh!
  • Deleted user 28 May 2010 14:48:43
  • KayJay 28 May 2010 15:00:07 5,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    is it one of these?
  • Jazzy_Geoff 28 May 2010 15:00:36 7,767 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    use PS3 server NOOB
  • M_of_the_sys 28 May 2010 15:02:22 1,154 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    cozeny wrote:

To get to the other side?
  • Deleted user 28 May 2010 15:02:24
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 28 May 2010 15:02:45
    kj66246 wrote:
    is it one of these?

It's .MP4?
  • Deleted user 28 May 2010 15:06:55
    It sees them in PS3MS but not off the USB drive. Weird. They're big files so I'd rather not stream them.
  • Red-Moose 28 May 2010 15:07:45 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The MP4 must contain an appropriate video and audio stream.

If in doubt, download Handbrake. Convert your video using these settings:

1. MP4 format and x264 codec
    2. Web optimised
    3. Scale: select none, then custom
    4. Audio: AAC, Dolby Digital II
    5. Video: unchanged (default for decomb, leave everything else untouched)
    6. B-frames: select 0 (must be off)
    7. CABAC: select 0 (must be off)
    8. RFeference frames: pick 4.

This will get you an H264/AAC MP4 video playable on PSP, PS3 or mobile phones, etc., .

EDIT:

I am liking MP4 much more these days and find it gives much less hassle than MKV. NO need for multiple audio tracks but MP4 is gving great results for movies on the N900 and PS3.
  • MrDigital 28 May 2010 15:07:54 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If you're genuinely looking for some help Cozeny, you could at least help us to help you by describing your situation further. That is if you are looking for help and not just doing some strange kind of bump.

Edit: Well, it would appear in the time I took that post, you did expand somewhat :)

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Jazzy_Geoff 28 May 2010 15:08:05 7,767 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    copy them across on ps3ms. best to do it over night though if they're big
  • M_of_the_sys 28 May 2010 15:08:22 1,154 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Are they copied to the PS3 or are you trying to view them on a USB drive?

Have you tried the display all option?

Is it only MP4 files that don't display?
  • MrDigital 28 May 2010 15:09:14 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Your USB drive has to be in FAT format. The PS3 can't read NTFS.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous