The cycling thread Page 329

• Page

of 372 First / Last

• Salaman 16 May 2014 11:16:58 19,445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's been a crash-tastic first few days, which is a shame. :-(
    Haven't been able to follow much of the coverage though.

After a quick ascent to number two and then the number 1 spot in the EG league (for 1 day, i was faster than a tractor) I've started my inevitable slide down the ranks. =)
  • Great-Googly-Moogly 16 May 2014 11:21:32 1,119 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    I know on the Eurosport coverage they were saying the pace had already gone up so it was fair play not to wait. But given how many people were caught up in the crash through no fault of their own I thought it was pretty poor to push on like Cadel and co. did.
    Yeah same. I think you got it pretty much spot on. Normally i don't mind and i generally agree that if the pace is on they should continue , but literally the whole peloton went down.

I guess the only plus out of it, is that it should make some attacking racing come the final week.

PSN: Cloudsheaven
    NNID: Notnits_85
    www.joelstinton.wordpress.com

• urban 17 May 2014 08:42:57 11,029 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I propose a motion!

Sticking great big fuck off red stickers on the backs, bikes, backpacks, helmets of pricks who run red lights.

It accomplishes a few things

1. It pisses the denoted prick off
    2. Displays to motorists that not all cyclists are like the red faced prick
    3. Allows you to easily see which cyclists to stay well away from and not follow into narrowing gaps which could get him and you killed.
    4. Gives you an inflated sense of pride for following 'The Rules' which is always an odd sensation but welcome just the same.
    5. Lets cycle couriers knows which of their pedal brethren they can eat without any qualms from the rest of us.

That's all I can think of just now but yeah I'm thinking about buying a roll of 1000, won't take a couple weeks to get through them in London.
  • gang_of_bitches 17 May 2014 09:28:28 5,640 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @urban

Seconded!

The thing that amazes me most about red light jumpers is that they're all so fucking slow. You'd think if they were so important and in such a rush that they think the rules shouldn't apply to them that they'd get a bit of a move on. Apart from the smugness I feel at being a good boy the thing I enjoy most is catching and overtaking these dicks having been held at lights for a minute.

On a serious note, I think cyclists who ride irresponsibly endanger not only themselves but the rest of us cyclists, drivers will just assume that we're all joke road users and not give us the respect we need.
  • masc.box 17 May 2014 09:47:23 99 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    It's been a crash-tastic first few days, which is a shame. :-(
    Haven't been able to follow much of the coverage though.

After a quick ascent to number two and then the number 1 spot in the EG league (for 1 day, i was faster than a tractor) I've started my inevitable slide down the ranks. =)
    Rodriguez and Kittel exiting has ruined my team. Now all I can do is watch as I descend into middle table mediocrity. Feeling kinda butt hurt.
  • OptimusPube 18 May 2014 07:59:24 3,222 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Careful out there guys, I'm sunburnt to fuck.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner

• gang_of_bitches 18 May 2014 08:30:03 5,640 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @OptimusPube

Haha. Just about to go out. I sweat so much it's not even worth putting lotion on so expect to be lobsterified later.
  • elstoof 18 May 2014 21:41:02 8,056 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My tan lines are razor sharp after this mornings 150k, I just hope the redness turns a pro shade if brown eventually.
  • PES_Fanboy 18 May 2014 21:48:48 18,235 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did an epic (for me anyway) 20 miler up and down (mostly up) the Surrey hills on my Sports Direct single speed today.

A lot lighter than I was expecting. Wheels are a bit crud but £150 for the cromoly frame and forks alone would've been a bargain.
  • MikeP 18 May 2014 21:55:19 2,027 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Of all the days I couldn't ride, it had to be today. Should have done Islington CC's Great Escape Audax, instead had to go to a family birthday.

Stupid Birthdays.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• MikeP 18 May 2014 22:03:55 2,027 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    However, I did finish the build of Emily's bike on Friday. Very happy with the result. It's a porteur-style town bike, with an 8-speed Alfine hub, dynamo lighting and disc brakes.

Rides well, the handling is good with a load in the front rack, and it feels coherent as a design.

Something simpler next, though!

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• elstoof 18 May 2014 22:08:00 8,056 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cracking build Mike, I bet Emily is well pleased with that!
  • andytheadequate 18 May 2014 22:08:55 8,315 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Does anyone else's bike spend more time in the workshop than it does being ridden? I went to dalby forest last week in the rain and it completely chewed my brake pads, to the extent the front ones were completely bare.
  • elstoof 18 May 2014 22:10:45 8,056 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great Escape turned out well by all accounts, the weather certainly helps get people out. A few Phoenix'ers I know bombed it round in 7 hours.
  • Bremenacht 18 May 2014 22:15:39 19,238 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got baked. Still managed to find mud to go through, so I should have some groovy white patches on my legs where the mud blocked the sun.

I think I need to get a cycling machine to keep my cycling legs topped up. 20 miles or so every week or two just isn't enough.
  • OptimusPube 18 May 2014 22:19:02 3,222 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You need the right tools for the job Andy, my current bike is useless in the wet so that is why I'm looking at this bike for wetter conditions.

http://www.cannondale.com/2013/bikes/road/cyclocross/caadx

• Bremenacht 18 May 2014 22:21:35 19,238 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Does anyone else's bike spend more time in the workshop than it does being ridden? I went to dalby forest last week in the rain and it completely chewed my brake pads, to the extent the front ones were completely bare.
    Red route? That'd have been fun.

Could be you're using soft pads, or perhaps your discs are scarred/scratched. How many sets of pads have you been through?
  • gang_of_bitches 18 May 2014 22:46:54 5,640 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @MikeP

That's a beautifully put together bike, looks so classical.

Are dynamos any more efficient these days? The last time I rode a bike with one was probably in the 80s and back then it felt like the equivalent of a 4 degree incline even on the flat.
  • Psychotext 18 May 2014 23:54:37 54,765 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    With the exception of the cranks, which I don't think really go (hey, opinions are like arseholes!), I think that looks great.

Good job.
  • andytheadequate 18 May 2014 23:58:58 8,315 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Red route? That'd have been fun.

Could be you're using soft pads, or perhaps your discs are scarred/scratched. How many sets of pads have you been through?
    Yeah, the red route. It's really good but was hard work in the wet, was exhausted by the end.

I went through a set of pads at front and back in the one ride. They were the extra tough ones too, I wasn't using downhill pads. Dalby is notorious for it apparently, a mixture of sand, mud, grit and water is a horrible mix for bikes.
  • Psychotext 19 May 2014 00:28:05 54,765 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Switch to sintered. Going through pads that quickly is pretty unusual on a red, even in bad weather.

If you are using sintered, get off your brakes you big girl.

Edited by Psychotext at 00:28:50 19-05-2014
  • OptimusPube 19 May 2014 06:52:41 3,222 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    MikeP wrote:
    With the exception of the cranks, which I don't think really go (hey, opinions are like arseholes!), I think that looks great.

Good job.
    Needs more neon pink.

• boo 19 May 2014 09:12:32 11,893 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :o(
    Glorious weekend and my bike's off the road.
    Evans offer a free 6 week 'tune up' as they know things will start working loose and cables will have that initial stretch.
    So after three weeks, my shifters are starting to play up - I'm calling for a gear change and it doesn't happen straight away.

Still - minor inconvenience, and only three weeks until it gets sorted, right?

WRONG!

To the garage, with tools in one hand, and the big book of bicycle maintenance in the other! What can possibly go wrong?

Well quite a lot, it seems. Apparently adjusting derailleurs requires a subtlety which I do not possess and I've made a right hash of things, so now it jumps two cogs at a time, won't hit the largest cog on the cassette and every gear sounds like a bag of spanners in a washing machine.

Don't want to ride it at the moment in case I stress the chain or chew up the cassette. Got it booked in for the 28th to be sorted out.

You live and learn. Nothing broken, but I'll be a lot more careful next time...

Just Another Lego Blog

• gang_of_bitches 19 May 2014 09:25:56 5,640 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @boo I hate dérailleur adjusting, like you I have a talent for making it worse rather than better. Plenty of Youtube videos around to give you a few pointers. I find the GCN (jump to 3 mins for adjustment instructions) How To videoes really good, but there are loads to choose from.
  • urban 19 May 2014 09:31:19 11,029 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @MikeP corrr would you look at it sparkle
  • Psychotext 19 May 2014 10:24:49 54,765 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Needs more neon pink.
    I was thinking more one of the colours already in play. :p
  • caligari 19 May 2014 10:29:05 17,143 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Cracking build Mike, I bet Emily is well pleased with that!
    Agree 100%. Riding a bike that you have built from scratch (at least until you pass it on to a friend/family member) - I can't imagine there being a more satisfying feeling.

Edited by caligari at 10:29:17 19-05-2014
  • gang_of_bitches 19 May 2014 10:29:10 5,640 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just been watching the final stage of the Tour of California. Cav came very close to making a dick of himself, arms already aloft on the photo finish and he takes it by about 5cm! It's been a fun watch this year, more than can be said of the first week of the Giro.
  • caligari 19 May 2014 10:31:23 17,143 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    boo wrote:
    :o(
    Glorious weekend and my bike's off the road.
    Evans offer a free 6 week 'tune up' as they know things will start working loose and cables will have that initial stretch.
    So after three weeks, my shifters are starting to play up - I'm calling for a gear change and it doesn't happen straight away.

Still - minor inconvenience, and only three weeks until it gets sorted, right?

WRONG!

To the garage, with tools in one hand, and the big book of bicycle maintenance in the other! What can possibly go wrong?

Well quite a lot, it seems. Apparently adjusting derailleurs requires a subtlety which I do not possess and I've made a right hash of things, so now it jumps two cogs at a time, won't hit the largest cog on the cassette and every gear sounds like a bag of spanners in a washing machine.

Don't want to ride it at the moment in case I stress the chain or chew up the cassette. Got it booked in for the 28th to be sorted out.

You live and learn. Nothing broken, but I'll be a lot more careful next time...
    Sorry to hear that, Boo. On the other hand it's at times like this that you realise that you can NEVER have too many bikes.

Keep your eye on local listings on eBay and Gumtree - treat yourself to a basic run-around that can be used when your main ride is in the 'hospital'.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 May 2014 10:33:25 11,651 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    However, I did finish the build of Emily's bike on Friday. Very happy with the result. It's a porteur-style town bike, with an 8-speed Alfine hub, dynamo lighting and disc brakes.

Rides well, the handling is good with a load in the front rack, and it feels coherent as a design.

Something simpler next, though!

That's lovely, impressive job!

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Page

of 372 First / Last