Registered 6 months ago
    /o\ Martin... Looks like i'm a man down already :D

PSN: Cloudsheaven
    NNID: Notnits_85
    www.joelstinton.wordpress.com

• grey_matters 9 May 2014 22:15:09 3,730 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Balls. Think that might have been my fault. You're not alone, GGM.
  • Salaman 11 May 2014 16:20:53 19,036 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Woah! What a sprint!
  • Bremenacht 11 May 2014 16:45:15 18,190 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am so glad I forgot when the F1 started, when I was heading out this morning. I'd probably not have gone out otherwise, missing out on wind, rain, hail, mud, sheepshit, cowshit, hawthorns and nettles. \o/

♥ my bike.
  • MikeP 11 May 2014 18:45:46 1,856 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kittel's sprint was absolutely ridiculous today. He was so far back.

Not that I mind. Both him and Ben Swift are in my Fantasy Giro team, which goes a little way to making up for poor old Dan Martin.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Benno 13 May 2014 11:20:54 9,883 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone here use trainerroad and its virtual power feature? Would you recommend it?

Thinking about setting it up to improve my directionless trainer workouts.
  • elstoof 13 May 2014 12:05:29 7,277 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can't hurt to try it out, as long as it gives consistent feedback you can't go wrong. Consistency trumps accuracy where measurement are concerned.

Alternatively you could train to your heart rate, HRMs are pretty cheap these days.
  • Benno 13 May 2014 12:40:12 9,883 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes I currently train to HR, and while I find this useful for running, I've heard its not as beneficial for cycling

The trainerroad guys seem to suggest using the virtual power over HR for their workout calibrations. I also wouldn't mind doing that FTP test and seeing how that improves over time

But sure, cant hurt to try. Will set it up next week sometime
  • Psychotext 13 May 2014 12:48:08 54,164 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    Anyone here use trainerroad and its virtual power feature? Would you recommend it?

Thinking about setting it up to improve my directionless trainer workouts.
    Mike and I do it. It works.
  • MikeP 13 May 2014 14:52:29 1,856 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I think it's a really effective system, which fundamentally is what you want from it. I train to enjoy my rides, I tend not to use my actual riding time to consciously "get fitter."

As Elstoof says, the most important thing is consistency in setup so you get accurate comparisons. In other words, use the same resistance setting on your trainer (or same turns on the contact wheel), same tyre psi.

It's worth getting a trainer tyre if you can, turbos are pretty hard on them.

You need to do the FTP test to scale the plans to your level of fitness, otherwise they won't work as intended.

Also, the FTP test is a bit confusing in trainer road. It's about the only confusing one. It'll set you up with a default power, so the normal approach of "follow the line" doesn't work. You need to go as hard as you can sustain, either 2 eight minute blocks with a gap, or one 20 minute block. If you're not getting tunnel vision at the very end, you didn't go hard enough ;-)

• MikeP 13 May 2014 16:04:26 1,856 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kittel is out of the Giro too.

• urban 15 May 2014 14:12:31 10,945 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone got any pro tips on cycling shoes, I bought some DHB ones last year but they weigh a fucking ton and aren't that comfortable tbh, looking for something that protects the cleats too though

Also, I bought that B'twin Mach 700 from Decathlon last Tuesday.

It's easily the most fun I've ever had on a bike and I used to ride trials!

It's just so sharp, responsive and fast! Made me realize how entirely far too big my last bike was for me, I have a lot more control and getting the power down is a lot easier.

Haven't even had a chance to take pictures of it because every time I look at it I just want to get on it and go!

1,100 - 100 up front and 1000 on the cycle to work scheme

/spouts more happy new bike vibes into the thread

Edited by urban at 14:13:26 15-05-2014
  • gang_of_bitches 15 May 2014 14:22:21 5,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @urban

I got some Sidi shoes (they were already discontinued so no real point in linking, I think they were called 5 something) in the Jan sales last year. Even on sale they were 100, but my god they're so comfortable and are showing absolutely no wear except on the heel rubbers and they're replaceable. Got myself a set of cleat covers as well so that's no concern except when you try to clip in and can't understand why it doesn't work, then it's embarrassing.
  • PES_Fanboy 15 May 2014 15:15:35 15,744 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That B'Twin looks fucking great. I bought a Triban 3 expecting not much, but it's brilliant too. 300 for a carbon fork and reasonably good Shimano gearing / brakes!
  • MikeP 15 May 2014 15:18:52 1,856 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Road shoes tend to be stiffer than MTB, and there are grades within there. So, I have two pairs of Specialized road shoes. The winter/cheaper pair have a glass fibre sole that flexes a bit, the best ones have a carbon fibre sole that's almost totally rigid.

The stiffer they are, the better the power transfer, but also you need them to distribute pressure evenly on your foot, otherwise you'll get cramps/hot spots. Not nice.

Cycling shoes shouldn't be overly tight, your feet will tend to swell slightly of the course of a ride. The most important thing are a nice fit around the shoe, and a secure heel fit.

Best thing to do is try brands on, as the shapes vary a lot. Sidis and Shimano don't fit me well, but Specialized are great. Shame the company acts like a bunch of dicks from time to time :/

• dr_swin 15 May 2014 16:02:27 4,890 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Doing my first sportive at the weekend 100mile 'Wooler Wheel' up in Northumberland. 700 am registration which means I'll have to be up at 445. Ouch!
  • MikeP 15 May 2014 16:06:49 1,856 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good luck - have you done a 100 miler before?

• elstoof 15 May 2014 16:20:38 7,277 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sidi are pretty narrow, Specialized a bit wider, Giro are like boats.

It's worth trying different brands on but it's pretty tricky to find them stocked in shops. Your best bet is to buy through Evans online, then return to the shop if you don't like them.

There's several charts online that give a guide on how the different brands advertised sizes compare so it's worth googling for those to give an idea of what to expect.
  • elstoof 15 May 2014 16:21:15 7,277 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Actually, if you want to try Sidi, I think Mosquito on Essex Road stock them.
  • gang_of_bitches 15 May 2014 16:23:23 5,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wacko_AK wrote:
    Have a look at the DHB range on Wiggle they tend to go up to larger sizes than most. Avoid anything Italian.

I'm 183, 82kg (32" waist) and I went with a Large size.
    Bit late to the party but definitely not DHB if you're a porker. I've got an XXL fluorescent top of theirs which isn't even close to fitting. It's even quite snug on my daypack that I've now got wearing it.
  • gang_of_bitches 15 May 2014 16:24:20 5,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Sidi are pretty narrow, Specialized a bit wider, Giro are like boats.

It's worth trying different brands on but it's pretty tricky to find them stocked in shops. Your best bet is to buy through Evans online, then return to the shop if you don't like them.

There's several charts online that give a guide on how the different brands advertised sizes compare so it's worth googling for those to give an idea of what to expect.
    I have very wide size 12 feet. Sidi do a special wide fitting variant of most of their shoes.
  • MikeP 15 May 2014 16:33:35 1,856 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you're London-based the Spitalfields Market Evans has loads of road shoes in stock, probably one of the widest selections you'll find.

• dr_swin 15 May 2014 16:34:53 4,890 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pretty close - 85 mile and 92 mile. Both of those were leisure days on sustrans routes though with mates. Really looking forward to testing myself out against other cyclists.
  • elstoof 15 May 2014 17:33:25 7,277 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, the Sidi Mega are the ones for wide feet. Still not super wide like some other brands though.
  • Psychotext 15 May 2014 18:54:43 54,164 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dr_swin wrote:
    Doing my first sportive at the weekend 100mile 'Wooler Wheel' up in Northumberland. 700 am registration which means I'll have to be up at 445. Ouch!
    Fuck that. That's what B&Bs are for.
  • gang_of_bitches 16 May 2014 10:21:10 5,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    God. Just been watching yesterday's Giro coverage. Massive crash. Will it ever stop raining?
  • Great_Googly_Moogly 16 May 2014 11:01:30 770 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Yeah i',m catching up with the last 15k's now. Ouch. Riders everywhere. Don't want to upset people with Rodriguez in their team, but he is out too. Katusha got hit pretty bad.

PSN: Cloudsheaven
    NNID: Notnits_85
    www.joelstinton.wordpress.com

• gang_of_bitches 16 May 2014 11:14:27 5,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know on the Eurosport coverage they were saying the pace had already gone up so it was fair play not to wait. But given how many people were caught up in the crash through no fault of their own I thought it was pretty poor to push on like Cadel and co. did.
  • Page

of 354 First / Last