The cycling thread Page 325

• Page

of 343 First / Last

• skiplevels 29 Apr 2014 22:24:54 337 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Yeah there was one point where I was gapped by about a meter and worked to get back on but then started doing the mental calculation of how much was left of the run-in and had to sit up.

That's the first time I've done the fast run and I held my own on the climb so I'll get faster the more I do it I'm sure.
  • Carlo 29 Apr 2014 22:26:50 17,948 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    I'm going to get pedals my shoes click into (probably spd 105's) as my pedals with slip in foot holders are horrible and I don't use them.

Im going to fall off my bike like a five year old girl aren't I
    What sort of riding will you be doing Carlo?
    Commute to/from work. It is a bit stop/start and not very long, under 10 miles each way.

I'll take a look at Shimano MTB clipless. Thanks!

PSN ID: Djini

• Dougs 30 Apr 2014 07:47:11 66,715 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I went with MTBs too, just for the ease of walking around etc. Seemed to make more sense to me.
  • Mr-Brett 30 Apr 2014 07:58:46 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hello my two wheeled friends.
    I'm looking for a second hand bike at the moment because I'm poor and can only-just-about-sorta actually ride a bike so I'll likely fall and damage it :)
    What should I look for?

Portable view - Never forget.

• elstoof 30 Apr 2014 08:09:56 6,631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What sort of riding on what sort of surface do you do/intend to do, and what sort of budget?
  • mal 30 Apr 2014 10:08:42 22,341 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mechanically, look for wobble. Are the wheels straight as they go round (a little wobble is fixable, for a small fee). Grab a pedal and the frame - can you make the bottom bracket wobble?

Other than that, sizing is important, but difficult to explain. Check the standover height by standing over the frame in front of the saddle. If you're not on tip-toe but there's only a couple inches of clearance, it's the right size. Reach is important too, but I don't know how to test that without riding around.

You can check for wear by measuring the chain. IIRC the link to link distance of a new chain under tension is an inch, so measure four of them and check you get four inches more or less. All chains will wear over time and wear out the gears, so that's too be expected, but if it's stretched a lot you'll need to buy new ones sooner rather than later which could be expensive versus the cost of a second hand bike. I'm assuming they're not being too sneaky and using a new chain on worn gears, in which case it'll measure up fine but not run at all well, and not change gear smoothly, assuming it's derallieur-based.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Psychotext 30 Apr 2014 13:55:41 53,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This amused me:

Att: Castelli, Italy.

Dear Signore/Signora,

howís it going? Pretty good I hope. Listen, you guys donít know me, Iím not a pro cyclist or anything, but Iím a huge fan off your stuff. Unfortunately, I have a problem and I really need your help.

I love road cycling, but hate the idea of being built like a road cyclist. Where I come from, the good looking girls arenít attracted to blokes with pre-pubescent upper body development. And so, to avoid a life of chastity, I eat a lot and lift weights in addition to cycling. As a result, my clothing size has gone up over the years. And itís still going up, slowly but surely.

So whatís the problem, you ask? Well, Iím starting to stress majorly because your 3XL knicks already fit pretty tight on me. But 3XL is your largest size. If I gain any more bodyweight Ė a distinct possibility now that Woolworths is running another $6.99/kg special on lamb forequarter chops Ė Iím worried Iíll have to go back to wearing [brand name deleted for legal reasons]. Please donít let that happen. I implore you to consider those of us built more like Chris Hoy than Bradley Wiggins and release some larger sizes, like XXXXL and XXXXXL.

Please. Because nothing fits as bellissimo as your stuff. And the diaper look imparted by other brands really sucks. I mean, would YOU wear knicks that make you look like youíre packing incontinence pads? Bugger that.

Címon, help a fratello out,

Grazie/cheers,

Anthony.

PS. While I have your attention: Can you guys do something about your sizing charts? Theyíre bloody useless. Thanks again!
    http://anthonycolpo.com/castelli-bib-knicks-why-theyre-awesome-how-you-can-get-them-cheap/
  • Psychotext 30 Apr 2014 15:22:28 53,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ooh, freaky:

http://singletrackworld.com/2014/04/sea-otter-raziks-carbon-fibre-truss-frames/
  • Mr-Brett 30 Apr 2014 21:25:07 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    What sort of riding on what sort of surface do you do/intend to do, and what sort of budget?
    I was hoping for more general stuff like mal mentioned (thanks mal!) but can't hurt. I'll be riding on roads mainly, although this is Copenhagen so the roads are sometimes cobble and whatnot. I was hoping for something that is a bit of an all rounder, doesn't need to be a hardcore mountain bike but could handle some light dirt track without too much hassle.

Budget, I'm not sure but cheap :p

Portable view - Never forget.

• boo 30 Apr 2014 23:05:27 11,706 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So I'm just idly... browsing. As you do. And a Planet X road bike caught my eye.

On my Spesh Sirrus, gear changes are taken care of with thumb and finger shifters on the bars, but looking at that, there aren't any.

Is there something clever built into the brake levers? I can see something on the back of them, but that doesn't look like it would be easily accessible.

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 30 Apr 2014 23:39:42 11,706 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah!
    Just found a youtube vid that explained it.
    Clever stuff!

Just Another Lego Blog

• mal 30 Apr 2014 23:42:32 22,341 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, left and right clicks on a little pad built into the brake lever. It's very clever I'm sure - on my bike it takes quite the push on the lever to move on to a bigger cog, so I don't know where this system gets the energy from to do that.

Edit: Ah, battery powered are they? That's a bit disappointing.

Edited by mal at 23:48:22 30-04-2014

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• butters_stotch 1 May 2014 00:09:57 50 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Hey guys

Just brought myself a fixie single speed bike...put brakes on it and now I'm good to go... Its been like 10 years since I rode a bike and I felt like it was second nature to me today... Such a joy riding and not driving. Hoping to do some long distance ones in the coming months.

Any advice of must have bike gear?
  • Psychotext 1 May 2014 00:22:45 53,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For a fixie? Tight jeans and an ironic t-shirt.
  • andytheadequate 1 May 2014 00:43:30 8,081 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Psychotext - Don't forget the subscription to Urban Cyclist

Edited by andytheadequate at 00:43:43 01-05-2014
  • OptimusPube 1 May 2014 06:25:10 2,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    GLOL :lol:

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC≤

• Dougs 1 May 2014 07:32:05 66,715 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    :D
  • Armoured_Bear 1 May 2014 09:52:34 10,296 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I can't be arsed with my mountain bike for nipping about town/commuting so would like comething for city use and maybe the odd longer road, willing to spend a grand or so. Any suggestions?

I was looking at http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/urbanchallenge-uc01-alfine-8-700c-2013-hybrid-bike-ec044541 and
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/alpenchallenge-ac01-sram-via-gt-2014-hybrid-bike-ec054461

However, I think I just fell in love with these Madison Avenue bikes

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 10:06:35 01-05-2014

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 10:08:44 01-05-2014

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Psychotext 1 May 2014 10:01:41 53,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Your link is verbroken.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 May 2014 10:09:05 10,296 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Your link is verbroken.
    Korrigiert!

• boo 1 May 2014 10:48:01 11,706 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just bought a Specialized Sirrus Elite for Evans. At £650, it's a bit cheap for your budget, but I'm really pleased with it.

Just Another Lego Blog

• caligari 1 May 2014 10:54:06 16,999 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    butters_stotch wrote:
    Hey guys

Just brought myself a fixie single speed bike...put brakes on it and now I'm good to go... Its been like 10 years since I rode a bike and I felt like it was second nature to me today... Such a joy riding and not driving. Hoping to do some long distance ones in the coming months.

Any advice of must have bike gear?
    What kind of bike, Butters?

To be honest, there's not too much to worry about when it comes to a fixed-gear - they're usually pretty bomb-proof.

You might want to grab one of these cheap folding butt-guards from Ass-Savers:

http://ass-savers.com/

Handy if you're wearing 'civilian' clothing when it starts to rain.
  • DaM 1 May 2014 10:55:24 12,901 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think a hybrid would suit me better for commuting rather than my road bike, but I'd get abuse from my wife for having 3 bikes....

Are they much better at taking the bumps and potholes? My roadbike doesn't do much smoothing...

I might just replace the drop handlebars with some straight ones.
  • butters_stotch 1 May 2014 12:51:16 50 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Tight jeans CHECK, snapback CHECK, speaker taped to frame playing out green day CHECK
  • Psychotext 1 May 2014 12:52:37 53,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ethically sourced fresh espresso grounds in handlebar holder... CHECK.
  • Dougs 1 May 2014 12:59:51 66,715 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    I think a hybrid would suit me better for commuting rather than my road bike, but I'd get abuse from my wife for having 3 bikes....

Are they much better at taking the bumps and potholes? My roadbike doesn't do much smoothing...

I might just replace the drop handlebars with some straight ones.
    I got a Crosstrail a few years back, and the state of the roads are the only thing making me not regret getting a road bike. Takes some pretty decent whacks no trouble. Lock out suspension if things get really rough.

Definitely getting a roadie at some point though...
  • butters_stotch 1 May 2014 13:03:32 50 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Tight jeans with prints of the word "ster" printed around the hip CHECK

Edited by butters_stotch at 13:03:40 01-05-2014
  • Armoured_Bear 1 May 2014 13:30:04 10,296 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    boo wrote:
    I just bought a Specialized Sirrus Elite for Evans. At £650, it's a bit cheap for your budget, but I'm really pleased with it.
    I'm very happy if it's much less than a grand, a grand is the utter maxium!
    I'll have a wee snifty, my MTB is a SPecialized..

• DaM 1 May 2014 13:32:14 12,901 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Dougs The road bike is very smooth, it's light and responsive. But being used to MTB commuting, the slightest bump goes right through you - never mind the foot deep potholes!

I thought I'd re-acquaint myself with cycle commuting, as I am helping teach bikeability at the school, I had forgotten how demanding it is. You need one eye on the road for potholes, one eye on traffic, one eye on the road layout/manouvering, one eye on pedestrians....about 6 eyes worth altogether I think.
  • MikeP 1 May 2014 13:47:45 1,771 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    boo wrote:
    I'm very happy if it's much less than a grand, a grand is the utter maxium!
    I'll have a wee snifty, my MTB is a SPecialized..
    At this point I have to make my obligatory "consider a cyclocross bike" post. Tough, versatile, fast. Mainly because you have a road-riding position but you can fit a range of tyres from skinny little roadie 23mm ones up to 38mm knobbly ones, via a range of sensible, tough, commuting tyres.

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes/cyclocross-bikes#!!price_from=0;price_to=1000;on_sale=;sort=popularity;

Also, this is what I bash around town on. http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check

Mine was bought as a frame and fork and built up from there, but I could easily spec you a decent one for less than £1000
  • Page

of 343 First / Last