The cycling thread Page 316

• Page

of 357 First / Last

• basmans_grob 2 Apr 2014 14:25:42 290 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you are only getting one bike I would go hybrid. I love my hybrid as it enables me to sort of keep up with road bikes on the road and sort of keep up with mountain bikes on trails. They are alot more comforbable to ride on as well.

You can get pedals that are normal pedals with cleat clip on on the other side of them. Once you get used to them you can get the best of both worlds.

If you are planning on a pannier I would recommened getting the kind of rack that the bag slides into. I'm a little bit in love with
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/topeak/mtx-dx-trunk-rack-bag-ec033752
    as it slides into the racking and there is no way it's going to move. I had a couple of pannier bags come off in the past and its not greate.

You might as well investigate the bike to work shceme even if you don't plan on using it every day (you kind of need to say you will at least once in a while). You can save a fair amount of money and your employer will also save some money as they don't pay NI on the amount of money you are repaying.
  • boo 2 Apr 2014 14:34:16 11,786 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers!
    I'll see what they say in the shop, but I think a hybrid's probably going to suit me better than a road bike.

I'll investigate the panniers too - it's really for keeping a spare inner tube and a basic tool kit in, plus having some space if I want to go and get a loaf of bread or a few bits for tea etc. I hate riding with a carrier bag swinging around from one wrist.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Salaman 2 Apr 2014 14:43:21 19,076 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    boo wrote:
    @Salaman
    :oD

Spot on, mate! I may even have a basket on the front!
    Go full hog! Flowers and stuff.

• mal 2 Apr 2014 14:49:31 22,581 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got a hybrid and switched the tyres to skinny slicks to make it faster on road (now completely unsuitable off road of course). Still can't keep up with a few road cyclists out there though, cos it's a lot heavier than a decent road bike (and I'm pretty well built myself). That weight does give me confidence when I load it up with shopping though.

I'm not completely sold on the comfort either. My hands ache after an hour or so on the bike and have to keep adjusting my hand position, mainly due from the thumb position for the indexed gears (it's not the gear levers themselves though, as even if leave it in a middle gear, I still ache).

I've considered those flippable pedals myself, but they don't appear as they've one downside compared to dedicated pedals - the faff. With flat pedals you can just put your foot down and go, and with clipless it's not much more work to reengage, but with a flippable half the time you'll get the wrong side and have the flip it, surely?

I've got one of those bungee rope clip things ties around the handles on my panniers, so even if they come free they don't go anywhere.

And bike to work schemes can vary, and beware of the final payment. Place I used to work at got done by HMRC for undervaluing the bike at the end of the scheme, and had to end up doing proper valuations which ended up costing basically the same as if you'd bought it new in the first place, although at least the cost was spread I guess.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• basmans_grob 2 Apr 2014 15:08:23 290 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The flipping pedals take a couple of rides to get used to. They normally end up spinning to the same way around each time so you just to need to get used to which way they do end up.

When riding with clips one pedal is always clipped in so that one doesn't matter. When I start off the other foot does a couple of strokes without clipping in before getting the pace to enable me to turn the pedal and slip in.

When riding without clips 95% of the time I just need to pedal as normal.
  • Wacko_AK 3 Apr 2014 12:51:48 185 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Wacko_AK wrote:
    XC/Trail??

There's a new Nomad out but the frame alone is more than your budget..
    Was looking at the Specialized FSR Comp EVO 650b... but if I'm honest I don't like the colours they come in.

There's plenty of great bikes in that price range though. Norco Sight, Lapierre Zesty / Spicy, Trek Remedy 8, Mondraker Dune.
    What about the On-One Codeine? Linkage

The spec on that for the money is astounding although it is a 29er..
  • Psychotext 3 Apr 2014 13:21:44 54,239 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a nice bike, but not going 29er, don't want to mess around with different tyre sizes (I change my tyres quite a bit).
  • Salaman 3 Apr 2014 13:55:00 19,076 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just a few more days!!!

Saturday 16 thousand recreational lycra clad wannabees will be doing their Tour of Flanders. Watching them struggle up the steep hills (and often falling over in doing so) just highlights how mad fast the pros fly up them at race pace.

Can't wait for Sunday.
  • Dougs 3 Apr 2014 14:35:24 67,805 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hills? In Flanders?!
  • OptimusPube 3 Apr 2014 18:22:39 3,035 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @boo Just invest in a nice strong rucksack, even on my roadbike I do some shopping with my rucksack and it's surprising what you can get in them.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• OptimusPube 3 Apr 2014 18:29:17 3,035 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @mal Just invest in some bar ends for your hybrid, I got some for my mountain bike and makes it so much comfier, much more natural position for your wrists IMO.

I got a pair similar to these and they only cost a tenner.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• Salaman 3 Apr 2014 18:55:33 19,076 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Hills? In Flanders?!
    It's either the gradient or we have really crappy cyclists. :-)

• elstoof 3 Apr 2014 19:56:31 7,396 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Short sharp climbs on slippery cobbles = fun for all the family. The problem there is on a crowded narrow street like that, if the people in front of you are walking you have to walk too. No way you can get past and pedalling slowly up doesn't work.
  • Dougs 3 Apr 2014 20:25:03 67,805 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    Hills? In Flanders?!
    It's either the gradient or we have really crappy cyclists. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIkJOZFNvI4
    :)
  • Salaman 4 Apr 2014 08:17:18 19,076 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Short sharp climbs on slippery cobbles = fun for all the family. The problem there is on a crowded narrow street like that, if the people in front of you are walking you have to walk too. No way you can get past and pedalling slowly up doesn't work.
    It's great. Every year, the evening news on the day before "De Ronde" will have an item about the umpteen thousand amateurs that got to have a go on the race's course the day before the pros. How many turned out, whether it was fully sold out and of it wasn't, that it may have been due to the weather.

Then they show some footage of people on the steepest narrowest cobblestone climb at the most crowded time of the day, with at least one person falling over. Love it.

TWO MORE DAYS!
  • Salaman 4 Apr 2014 08:19:20 19,076 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just checked the weather. Overcast and drizzly on Sunday! That should add some spectacle.

and crashes sadly. :-/
  • caligari 4 Apr 2014 23:34:46 17,057 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    @boo Just invest in a nice strong rucksack, even on my roadbike I do some shopping with my rucksack and it's surprising what you can get in them.
    Very true - the amount that my Deuter Trans Alpine 25 holds blows my mind. The clips on the front are also great for clipping on unwieldy items that don't fit in the bag.
  • mal 5 Apr 2014 00:22:23 22,581 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    @mal Just invest in some bar ends for your hybrid, I got some for my mountain bike and makes it so much comfier, much more natural position for your wrists IMO.
    Yeah, I got some of those but I never think to use them till my hands already start hurting. They do help, but I didn't mention them as I couldn't remember what you call them when I last wrote. Also, cornering on them feels pretty weird, and I like to be able to reach my brakes on a downhill given the eejits round here, and on a decent uphill I'm usually pulling myself down on the handlebars cos I forgot to change down in advance, so I need to think whenever I'm on a bit of straight flat and already in the right gear to use them.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Salaman 5 Apr 2014 21:33:57 19,076 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1700 Brits did the Ronde for amateurs today, one of them on a penny farthing. Nutter.
    Sean Kelly had a great laugh when he saw him at the start ready to set off. The bloody muppet goes "have you done it before?", to Kelly.

It's cycling fever pitch here in Belgium this weekend.
  • elstoof 5 Apr 2014 21:36:05 7,396 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    The bloody muppet goes "have you done it before?", to Kelly.
    :D
  • Salaman 6 Apr 2014 09:25:49 19,076 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And they're off!

Bit mental they've got a live broadcast goung fron the start. What do you keep yapping about for all those hours?
  • elstoof 6 Apr 2014 10:18:59 7,396 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Try listening to cricket commentary sometime, it's brilliant. Those guys can fill a day without even mentioning the sport and still be entertaining
  • Salaman 6 Apr 2014 12:44:05 19,076 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Predictably, quite a few crashes in the early hours. Sadly Johan Van Summeren was taken to the hospital after a collision with a spectator. The lady he crashed with is in critical condition as well. I hope she doesn't go and die.

Aaaand as I was typing this, Jurgen Roelandts went down. Lotto isn't having much luck so far this year.
  • boo 6 Apr 2014 13:43:33 11,786 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @MikeP

Cheers for the pointer about Evans at Crouch End. Went over there this morning and spent about an hour talking stuff through with Chris in the shop. Gave me loads of advice, wasn't pushy and explained everything in non-technical terms (it's been a long time since I last bought a bike - a lot's changed!).

Came away with a price list of bike and all the bits I've looked at - not cheap, but my last bike lasted 25 years, so if it's half as good as that, I'll be happy.

Looked at a few bikes, but in the end, came back to the Specialized Sirrus Elite.

Just need to get management approval from Mrs Boo, and will probably go back next weekend and bend the plastic.

Just Another Lego Blog

• MikeP 6 Apr 2014 19:16:37 1,870 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @boo Nice - glad they were helpful. You can't really go wrong with a Specialized bike. Well made, good value, and excellent after sales support too.

Hope you enjoy it!

Mike

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• MikeP 6 Apr 2014 19:19:06 1,870 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great result for Spartacus in De Ronde, he rode it so well. A very canny sprint at the end to take it.

Felt a bit sorry for the Norwegian Katusha rider who tried to bridge to the front group, got within 7 seconds then just couldn't get into the draft.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Psychotext 6 Apr 2014 19:30:04 54,239 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Went to the Welsh Bike Show today. Not a lot of interest to me there, but I did see this bike which I thought was a thing of beauty.

Shitty pic I'm afraid.

Here's the site of the guy who designed / made it it: http://www.paulusquiros.co.uk

He's going to be at Bespoked too (which I'm going to next Friday. :) )

Edit - This is his work too:

Edited by Psychotext at 19:32:13 06-04-2014
  • boo 7 Apr 2014 09:05:39 11,786 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is going to sound like a dumb sort of question, but hey ho!
    A bicycle has three cogs / sprockets / thingumybobs at the front, on the bit that the pedals are turning (you can see I'm picking up all the technical lingo!), and nine cogs at the back wheel.

Maths tells us that this equates to 27 gears.

(I'll skip over another bit that's confusing me - surely a large front cog and smaller back cog will give a gear ratio quite similar to a smaller front cog and larger back cog, so I'm not sure that all 27 gears are completely different.)

Anyway. Typically in a car, you go up and down through the gears sequentially, which makes sense.

However. Let's say that on our 27 gear bike, we've started out in 1st (probably unlikely, but we'll brush over that), and as we go along, we've clicked through to 9th gear.

Now what?

Ideally, the next gear would be 10th, which would be the next smallest front cog, and the largest back cog, but that would mean shifting across 9 cogs, which is not going to be a smooth transition by anyone's reckoning.

So that means that if you just flip the front cog, you're gear progression will be ....7, 8, 9, 18...

Is that right?

Just Another Lego Blog

• elstoof 7 Apr 2014 09:32:52 7,396 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The pedals attach to the arms of the crank, which has your 3 chainrings bolted to them on the drive side, attached via the chain to the cassette on the wheel, which has 9 different cogs in this cassette.

You're right, 3x9 equals 27 different gearing combinations, and you will also inevitably have a number of duplicates within those, which is a good and bad thing. Bad because you actually have less than 27 options, but good because you can change the rear cog more efficiently than you can the front so you'll probably have the gear you want within easy reach.

Try not to compare bicycle gearing to how you drive a car too much. Around town on the flat you will probably only use 2 or 3 different "gears", an easier one to get started then the next one up once you've built up a bit of speed.

Where the 27 different combinations come into play is finding that right one for the riders given fitness, how much load is on the bike and the gradient you want to climb up, allowing you to take heavier things up steeper hills for the same effort just more slowly.

Typically you'll probably leave the chain on the middle chainring and use 2 or 3 from the middle of the cassette.
  • Salaman 7 Apr 2014 09:34:26 19,076 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not best placed to answer your question, as I tend to watch cycling, not do it much and my own bike only has one thingumybobs at the front.

The thing is, you wouldn't shift through all gears from 1 to 27.

You'll probably use a range different back gears without changing the one at the fron much. The outliers, 1st gear if you will will have you spinning your legs like mad whilst you remain near stationary. They're for when you happen to be going up a really, really steep hill "en danceuse", whilst staning on the pedals.
    The other extreme. The big gears (27th) is for when you're on a flat road or actually driving downhill, going full pelt, reaching 25-30mp or more but you need to be able to still pedal to increase your speed.

When you're out and about, you'll probably have your front thingumybobs on the middle one and shift down to small gears when you reach a red light, so you can start off easier afterwards and then shift up once you pick up some pace.

/awaits more expert input
  • Page

of 357 First / Last