The cycling thread Page 305

• Page

of 373 First / Last

• Psychotext 7 Mar 2014 00:35:24 54,819 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Doing this tomorrow: http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/wiggle-southern-rough-ride/

Hopefully my fitness hasn't dropped too much over the winter or I'm going to be in for a painful time. Will be the first proper outing for Old Faithful v3.0. Hopefully she wont let me down. :)
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2014 15:37:50 54,819 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ...fucking wonderful. Tried to bleed the rear brake and found the pistons in the caliper were pissing oil.

FML.
  • OptimusPube 7 Mar 2014 19:18:04 3,236 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finally got some decent tyres, wanted the grand prix 4000's but they didn't have them in stock so settled for gatorskins, nice ride but I've heard they're twitchy in the wet, I rarely go out on it in the rain though.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner

• elstoof 7 Mar 2014 19:57:35 8,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Man, I want a C60 so bad. No, not want. Need.
  • MikeP 7 Mar 2014 21:42:50 2,049 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    First proper ride on the Rourke tomorrow for me. I am excite.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• elstoof 7 Mar 2014 21:57:57 8,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh nice, that you posted a picture up a whole back though?
  • mal 8 Mar 2014 02:23:22 22,793 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Finally got some decent tyres, wanted the grand prix 4000's but they didn't have them in stock so settled for gatorskins, nice ride but I've heard they're twitchy in the wet, I rarely go out on it in the rain though.
    I've been through both GP4000s and gatorskins. Found the 4000s got ripped to shreds with all the glass on London streets almost immediately, so those got ditched rather quickly. The gatorskins were much better at that, but I prefer a more solid sidewall - the ones on my gatorskins dissolved while the tread still had some months in it, so I switched back to the Supersport Plus tyres I've always sworn by - I guess they're a little heavier due to the more solid sidewalls, but they're fast and rarely go pop, and I'm not bothered by a few extra grams when I can still lose a few kg. Shame you rarely find supersports for under 30 quid these days - they were almost 10 quid cheaper than that when I started using them a couple years back.

Edited by mal at 02:25:12 08-03-2014

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Salaman 8 Mar 2014 08:53:45 19,487 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Strade Bianche today! Although I fear I may be in the swimming pool this afternoon. It's a week of vacation in Belgium this week.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2014 09:14:11
    Easy life eh! I got the weekend off too :) Strade Bianche, Rugby, Spurs win and a night out for me (last time i went out on a night out was sometime way before christmas)
  • Deleted user 8 March 2014 14:12:08
    I didn't realise that Uran had left to go to Omega. Since August last year! Shows how much i pay attention
  • Salaman 8 Mar 2014 17:54:59 19,487 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bah, git home at 5 past 4, dashed straight for the TV as soon as I got in, hoping to catch the final. They'd finished almost 10 mins before. :-/
  • MikeP 8 Mar 2014 19:33:52 2,049 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @elstoof Yeah - a combination of bad weather, being very busy and illness has kept me off it until now.

It's lovely - I had proper new bike enthusiasm, went way too hard and exploded after about 30 miles :D

• MikeP 8 Mar 2014 19:35:04 2,049 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mal wrote:
    OptimusPube wrote:
    I've been through both GP4000s and gatorskins. Found the 4000s got ripped to shreds with all the glass on London streets almost immediately, so those got ditched rather quickly. The gatorskins were much better at that, but I prefer a more solid sidewall - the ones on my gatorskins dissolved while the tread still had some months in it, so I switched back to the Supersport Plus tyres I've always sworn by - I guess they're a little heavier due to the more solid sidewalls, but they're fast and rarely go pop, and I'm not bothered by a few extra grams when I can still lose a few kg. Shame you rarely find supersports for under 30 quid these days - they were almost 10 quid cheaper than that when I started using them a couple years back.
    Schwalbe Durano Plus with the race guard are a good option too in my experience.

• Trafford 8 Mar 2014 20:02:22 5,934 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone interested in a used Garmin Oregon 600? With a full UK 1:50K OS map card.
    Excellent device, I'd take 200 ono.
  • elstoof 8 Mar 2014 20:27:06 8,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hah! New bike blow up, nice. I bet it's a dream to ride. Did you go for 853 for it?
  • elstoof 8 Mar 2014 20:29:05 8,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm.. Do I go for a 130km club run tomorrow at a harsh pace or a possibly gentler 85k with a couple of mates...
  • mal 8 Mar 2014 20:33:08 22,793 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cool, I'll bear that in mind next time I'm shopping. Currently got three supersports curing in a wiggle box after a recent sale though, so it'll be a while.

Edit: @MikeP

Edited by mal at 20:33:42 08-03-2014

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Bremenacht 8 Mar 2014 23:33:43 19,415 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Doing this tomorrow: http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/wiggle-southern-rough-ride/
    How did that go? Looks good fun.

I really ought to give my bike some TLC after today. Too sore to wash the mud off, and there was enough dried mud on it already. The chain is soooo dry.

Also got to try out this, which I got recently to link with the phone. Very accurate. Saves a lot of power not using the phones own GPS.
  • OptimusPube 9 Mar 2014 08:20:01 3,236 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Group ride again today, have no idea how far or how long but what a bloody lovely day, give my new gatorskins a good run in as well.

• elstoof 9 Mar 2014 11:09:04 8,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    85k. My legs were awful. Not enough sleep this week is most likely the cause, still feeling the Thursday intervals.
  • MikeP 9 Mar 2014 15:11:15 2,049 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Hah! New bike blow up, nice. I bet it's a dream to ride. Did you go for 853 for it?
    Yeah, it's 853 throughout. Stainless only saves a couple of hundred grams, but adds 1000 onto the price tag. No thanks!

• OptimusPube 9 Mar 2014 16:41:45 3,236 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    71.61 miles, 5:13:13 time 15.5 mph average, jesus fucking titty christ I'm fucked but what a beautiful day.

• elstoof 9 Mar 2014 19:05:03 8,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    Yeah, it's 853 throughout. Stainless only saves a couple of hundred grams, but adds 1000 onto the price tag. No thanks!
    Very nice, we'll have to go for a Steel is Real jaunt one sunny day. Full shiny.
  • MikeP 9 Mar 2014 21:01:04 2,049 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    MikeP wrote:
    Very nice, we'll have to go for a Steel is Real jaunt one sunny day. Full shiny.
    For sure! I suspect the new "Gran Fondo" gearing up front also contributed to the exploding. It's a 52-36, rather than a compact.

Did about 40k's on the MTB today up and down the Lea Valley with the missus. Was lovely. Visited the white water centre at Waltham Abbey, which is proving to be a massive hit with people.

• elstoof 9 Mar 2014 22:19:34 8,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a prowl through Herts, wasn't feeling up the Phoenix 130k epic so did a shorter spin and boy am I glad I did. Uncomfortable from start to end. There's always next week!

53/39, that's how a G rolls. Was cursing 39-25 at points today though.
  • Psychotext 10 Mar 2014 00:43:18 54,819 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    How did that go? Looks good fun.
    All in all, an absolute goddamn disaster.

After old faithful's wrecked brake piston I had about an hour to get my missus's bike ready to take away to do the ride with (no way in hell I could have done that sort of distance on my downhill bike).

Threw it all together as fast as I could, got to the B&B and realised I'd forgotten the cadence / speed sensor. Not the end of the world.... then when it came to the day of the ride it went something like this.

1: Had forgotten chamois cream. Bad start for a long ride.

2: Adjusted fork, put way too much pressure in (based it on my bike), ride was a bouncy nightmare.

3: Adjusted seatpost / seat, realised that even at above the max line it was still too low for me, and better still, it kept slipping down as the clamp needed pliers to get any tighter.

3a: This destroyed my legs when riding up hills.

4: Stopped to help someone who was having bike problems. Didn't leave until about 20 minutes later as I couldn't bring myself to just ride off without getting him going.

5: Had massive problems with mud not clearing my tyres. After each muddy section (that stuff was like concrete btw, never ridden in mud like it) I no longer had visible tread, just mud.

6: Lost the ability to use my rear derailleur as it became completely gummed up with mud and I ran out of water to get it off with. Bike then a triple speed for a significant section of the ride.

7: Realised that weights etc are great for general fitness but absolutely terrible for cycling fitness.

8: Managed to get sun burnt... in March. Also a bit dehydrated as used my water to try and sort derailleur.

9: Realised that you should never, ever try to handle a multi-hour ride when you have a haemorrhoid... especially if you have no chamois cream. It's not funny, stop laughing.

But, at the end of the day I got through it, and under different circumstances it would have been quite enjoyable (though I saw a number of injuries after the particularly muddy sections).

Many, many lessons to learn there though, not least of which is if your bike survives a test ride, DON'T FUCKING TOUCH IT AGAIN UNTIL AFTER YOU'VE DONE YOUR MAIN RIDE.

Edit - Oh, and only managing one meal on the day you were supposed to be carb loading... not such a good idea.

Edited by Psychotext at 00:51:08 10-03-2014
  • Megapocalypse 10 Mar 2014 08:29:41 5,500 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds fun. :p

Well done for getting through it, and I'm sorry but point 9 is a little funny.

Was almost taken out twice this morning on my ride in by people pulling out of junctions without looking. Checked my video and they were clearly at fault both times. Impatient unaware twats.
  • MikeP 10 Mar 2014 10:04:18 2,049 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I had a prowl through Herts, wasn't feeling up the Phoenix 130k epic so did a shorter spin and boy am I glad I did. Uncomfortable from start to end. There's always next week!

53/39, that's how a G rolls. Was cursing 39-25 at points today though.
    I'm quite happy with a set of working knees, so I think I'd politely decline Herts with a 39-25.

11 speed works well with the 52-36, as I've got an 11-28 cassette. So the lowest gear isn't far off the escape gear on a compact, but you get more top end and the range feels less gappy. Progress, eh?

• MikeP 10 Mar 2014 10:08:28 2,049 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Psychotext Well at least, you've survived it! I think you should buy a new bike, and put Old Faithful out to pasture/shoot it and turn it into glue.

Glad I did a shakedown ride on the Karate Monkey. The only issue was that the Jtek shifter had a bolt that started working loose, and that stopped the shifter working. A quick tighten and it was fine, but when I got home threadlock was deployed.

I'm not fiddling with it again.

• elstoof 10 Mar 2014 10:38:17 8,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm only messing Mike, those cranks do make a lot of sense. Wouldn't mind a set myself but I do ok with my standards, I can still bludgeon my way up Swains in 39/25. I'll be picking up a 12-27 block at some point to compensate on the longer hills a bit though.
  • Page

of 373 First / Last