The cycling thread Page 4

• Page

of 342 First / Last

• moggsy 3 Jul 2008 14:22:40 3,860 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mattigan wrote:
    HTML Linking appears to be broken.... try copy/paste with the link below.

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86606

TBH gears are gears, 6 or 21 dosen't really matter, you only use the ones you use. It's always nice to have the option of a larger range on the rare occasion that you need it though

I like the look of that actually, and there is an Evans shop not too far from where I live.

How difficult would changing gear be then? The last time I rode a bike was many years ago when racing bikes had 2 paddles for gear changes set low down on the frame. I assume the modern ones on the handle bars are a lot easier to use?
  • moggsy 3 Jul 2008 14:26:24 3,860 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bloodkult wrote:
    Gears are for ladies, get a pimpin' cruiser.

Reminds me of my old Grifter ;-)
  • PiD 3 Jul 2008 14:29:30 3,566 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bloodkult wrote:
    Gears are for ladies, get a pimpin' cruiser.

+lots.

Everybody knows bmx is where its at! Not that I dont curse my retarded gear ratio some mornings :)
  • BanjoMan 3 Jul 2008 14:32:58 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mattigan wrote:
    TBH gears are gears, 6 or 21 dosen't really matter, you only use the ones you use. It's always nice to have the option of a larger range on the rare occasion that you need it though
    I live in South Yorkshire... hilly as fuck, and I use all of my 21 gears. Every day.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• BanjoMan 3 Jul 2008 14:41:52 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THIS!!

• moggsy 3 Jul 2008 15:44:18 3,860 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BanjoMan wrote:
    THIS!!

Ya see, if that had the original gear shift between your legs then I'd be tempted :-)
  • mattigan 3 Jul 2008 16:08:27 1,429 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gears on the frame are a thing of the past, although there are a few bikes out there that still have them, the (non twist) gears you get nowadays are controlled using a thumb and trigger finger action (for flat bar/hybrid bikes) or the STI flight deck type (drop bar racing bikes) they are infinately more preferable to twist shift in my experience as twist shift gears have a tendancey to break after 5 minutes.
  • moggsy 3 Jul 2008 16:19:35 3,860 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mattigan wrote:
    Gears on the frame are a thing of the past, although there are a few bikes out there that still have them, the (non twist) gears you get nowadays are controlled using a thumb and trigger finger action (for flat bar/hybrid bikes) or the STI flight deck type (drop bar racing bikes) they are infinately more preferable to twist shift in my experience as twist shift gears have a tendancey to break after 5 minutes.

It does seem to be the cheaper bikes which generally have a twist shift.
  • FairgroundTown 3 Jul 2008 16:40:41 2,522 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gears are overrated!

They are "something else to go wrong", and 99% of the time, you only use one of them anyway. And in many cases, the manufacturers use gears as a substitute for actual engineering.

/ Rides a Strida

(Of course, this doesn't apply if you are actually mountain biking on mountains, or doing the Tour de France.)
  • MikeP 3 Jul 2008 17:43:11 1,771 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FairgroundTown wrote:
    Gears are overrated!

They are "something else to go wrong", and 99% of the time, you only use one of them anyway. And in many cases, the manufacturers use gears as a substitute for actual engineering.

/ Rides a Strida

(Of course, this doesn't apply if you are actually mountain biking on mountains, or doing the Tour de France.)

Have to disagree there - there's a real trend in London for single speed bikes, and for most people it's just a fashion statement.

Very Shoreditch. Best used by people whose brains can't handle gears ;-)

And as for people who ride fixed wheel brakeless track bikes in town, talk about selecting yourself out of the gene pool...
  • mattigan 3 Jul 2008 20:13:58 1,429 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I dissagree, I ride a Hybrid and a High end racing bike to work, I am buying a single speed bike soon, and will ride it fixed once I've got used to the feel of it. I want to change to something sturdy that will not require constant readjustment every couple of weeks, and the bike I'm getting fits the bill..... Plus it's very pretty of course. :D
  • mattigan 3 Jul 2008 20:16:53 1,429 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    moggsy wrote:
    mattigan wrote:

It does seem to be the cheaper bikes which generally have a twist shift.

Yes there is a reason for that...

One thing I would check Moggsy, does your work do the cycle to work scheme? As if they do, then that effectively doubles your budget.
  • caligari 6 Sep 2008 01:08:59 16,998 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hey guys - not the most exciting of 'thread bumps' - but I was wondering if any of you guys have a mirror on your bike? Jah jah - I don't mean for vanity reasons, either. :D

My neck is still slowly recovering from a sprain / tear (still not sure what!), so I'm still finding it a little difficult to look behind for those blasted cars.

These Blackburn Mirrors seem to have received good reviews.
  • Psychotext 6 Sep 2008 01:13:17 53,846 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looking behind you is a sign of weakness. It's when they'll strike!
  • BanjoMan 6 Sep 2008 11:24:53 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was thinking about sticking one on my massive forks, as all my handlebar space is taken.

• mattigan 26 Sep 2008 12:35:16 1,429 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've seen a few guys with mirrors stuck to their glasses, on the end of a length of metal protruding from the right arm of the glasses. Maybe they would be more suitable?

See Here
  • pistol 26 Sep 2008 14:35:43 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    tincanrocket wrote:
    DaisyD wrote:
    Unfortunately they don't seem to have Ridgeback at Halfords. I was considering getting a boardman hybrid or a shockwave. Any experience or opinions on either of these?

Don't know Carrera bikes, but something like this one looks pretty good, if a little cheap. Ask them if you can take one for a test ride - just take it round the car park or whatever to get a feel for it. I found mine very odd at first (shorter handlebar than mountain bikes, and a different riding posture), but now I love it.

I'd agree that you are best off with a road bike as opposed to a mountain bike - so much easier to cycle and far less tiring, unless you plan to actually use it off road.

EDIT: just noticed that Carerra one has disk brakes too - not bad for 300

Carerra are a Halfords brand and I have a mountain bike. I also kave a Trek 1.5 road bike http://www.speeds-cycles.co.uk/user/news/img_trek15triple.jpg
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • caligari 11 Dec 2008 12:10:19 16,998 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Crank Brothers' pedals for 20.00 delivered!

(flood damaged box)
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 11 Dec 2008 12:12:24 14,033 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Those are not pedals. :)
  • caligari 11 Dec 2008 12:13:37 16,998 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heh heh, sorry Syrok - linky fixed.
  • PinkSpider 11 Dec 2008 14:30:27 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Question: what do those type of pedals 'do'. Only ever really used bmx/ mountain bike pedals...
  • caligari 11 Dec 2008 21:04:18 16,998 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PinkSpider wrote:
    Question: what do those type of pedals 'do'. Only ever really used bmx/ mountain bike pedals...

They do lots!

Erm - I have no idea. :) I know that Crank Brothers are a pretty good brand when it comes to bicycle stuff, so I'm sure they're worth 20.

edit: They look pretty funky too.
  • PiD 11 Dec 2008 21:11:54 3,566 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Clip in pedals aren't they? More efficient than normal pedals, thats about all I know :)
  • Deleted user 11 December 2008 21:13:15
    hey PiD did you get anywhere near Konnie Huq
  • PinkSpider 11 Dec 2008 21:21:29 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Always looks to me like they have some kind of machinery in to make it easier. A little dissapointed if thats all they are.

Nothing will beat my ipedals :/

In other bike news I also want one of these for when I cant be bothered to bike to work standing all the way (which I do actually love and tend to do on all bikes now, but it's not so fun in wind/ rain when I'm on the road all the way). That or one of these. Really shouldnt but it beats busses/ walking and I do love bikes.

That or/ and a fixie :s
    /watches overdraft not dissapear :/
  • Angel_Treats 11 Dec 2008 22:22:55 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Someone stole my rear light tonight. I never bothered to remove it from the bike as it was so shit, and I always meant to replace it with a decent one. Can't quite believe that someone actually bothered to steal it - times must really be hard!
  • pistol 12 Dec 2008 10:00:15 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    Someone stole my rear light tonight. I never bothered to remove it from the bike as it was so shit, and I always meant to replace it with a decent one. Can't quite believe that someone actually bothered to steal it - times must really be hard!

Doesn't suprise me Angel, people will steal anything that's not tied down these days. You can get some really good lights for next to nothing though. Take a look at Wiggle or Evans cycles. I hardly ever go anywhere else and the shipping is quick, particularly with Evans. I ordered a load of energy gels from them the other day and they arrived 2 days later.
  • Page

of 342 First / Last