Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Floodtain Biking
    Skip to the last third or so.
    :-D
  • thenastypasty 16 Feb 2014 18:20:01 5,186 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really nice to get out in some nice weather today! Pity I had to go to a family lunch so could only get out for an hour :)
  • Psychotext 16 Feb 2014 18:49:18 54,492 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Feel like I missed out today. Certainly did look like a nice day.
  • OptimusPube 16 Feb 2014 19:34:20 3,169 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I was out in it for at least 6 hours, it was glorious.

You could tell it was a good weather day as I saw more than one other person, got many a smile a nod and a wave.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner

• thenastypasty 16 Feb 2014 19:51:04 5,186 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I always think nodding or waving at other cyclist is a bit weird. I mean you don't wave at other motorist when your in the car :)
  • Bremenacht 16 Feb 2014 20:13:27 18,761 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    I was out in it for at least 6 hours, it was glorious.

You could tell it was a good weather day as I saw more than one other person, got many a smile a nod and a wave.
    Happy with the new bike then? Lots of people out today. First decent bit of weekend weather in a while.

I got out for a few hours. First decent ride of the year. A lovely morning/afternoon. So much mud on the trails and paths. Horrible sticky, clay-like mud, or slimey, slippery mud. Dunno what's worse. The sticky stuff clings to your tyres and makes riding over more sticky mud really hard, but at least you stay upright, unlike the slimey stuff.

Has to ride along a track that was completely flooded with pig slurry run-off. Urgh. The smell was so bad, my nose stopped working. Had to cycle through every puddle I came across to wash it off.

When I eventually got the the green lane I was aiming for, I found it had been chewed into a muddy, rutted hell by those fun-loving 4x4 drivers. The fuckers. It was good fun really. Strenuous, knackering good fun. Needed a good hose down after. And the bike.

Edited by Bremenacht at 20:14:09 16-02-2014
  • andytheadequate 16 Feb 2014 20:23:43 8,279 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I went out yesterday and came back absolutely filthy. By the side of the canal it was practically flooded, and in the woods it was thick floppy mud. Still, it was good fun
  • Psychotext 16 Feb 2014 20:29:39 54,492 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thenastypasty wrote:
    I always think nodding or waving at other cyclist is a bit weird. I mean you don't wave at other motorist when your in the car :)
    You do if you're a biker.

I also nod / wave at people when I'm out hiking.
  • thenastypasty 16 Feb 2014 20:42:41 5,186 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I always give a nod as I go past but still thinks it's a bit weird.
  • MikeP 17 Feb 2014 10:00:20 1,962 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Nod is an important part of road riding, as is a cheery "how's it going?" or similar when you overtake someone.

Well, it is as far as I'm concerned. No need for srsbsnss.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• elstoof 17 Feb 2014 10:36:39 7,791 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Being friendly should be one of The Rules, especially if you wind up riding alongside people. Its a poor show when people don't bother, jumping in with a random chaingang and having a chat with the group is nice, isn't it. I'd rather have a chinwag than be the silent mystery wheel who just slips in and rides like a prick.
  • caligari 17 Feb 2014 11:02:33 17,084 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    The Nod is an important part of road riding, as is a cheery "how's it going?" or similar when you overtake someone.

Well, it is as far as I'm concerned. No need for srsbsnss.
    I always feel too self-conscious to pull off a convincing 'nod' - I end up with a slightly effeminate 'hi-ya!' and a weird wave/raised hand. Pretty mortifying if I don't get a response from the oncoming cyclist after that kind of effort.
  • Bremenacht 17 Feb 2014 11:33:30 18,761 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't acknowledge anyone in town or city, but out in the country it's normal.
  • Dougs 17 Feb 2014 14:13:35 68,524 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got out for a walk but not on the bike, disappointed. Too much to cram in with 2 kids, have to make the most of the weather, so a ride had to take a back seat.

I give a nod when it's someone obviously out riding for pleasure but not those who seem to be commuting. Had some odd looks before. And I always give a withered comment when being overtaken, some don't respond, miserable sods!
  • OptimusPube 18 Feb 2014 03:09:50 3,169 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Bremenacht

Yeah loving it, just need a few more things then my wallet can breath a sigh of relief, GPS, camera, a brighter rear light and a nice thin short sleeved top for summer then I'm fully geared up.

I'm the same with the greetings/gestures, I always give them to the leisure cyclists, walkers, dog walkers but almost never to the commuters, it just seems weird, your work commute isn't your fun ride.

Edited by OptimusPube at 03:18:25 18-02-2014

• OptimusPube 18 Feb 2014 03:29:25 3,169 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I want this top, is cycle surgery reputable?

Edited by OptimusPube at 03:40:42 18-02-2014

• elstoof 18 Feb 2014 05:37:41 7,791 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep, big chain of shops. Just like Evans
  • Salaman 18 Feb 2014 08:45:40 19,312 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thenastypasty wrote:
    No but bikers also wave (in EU) or nod (in UK) to each other.

If you think having to nod is weird, go to France. I was there for a few days visiting friends last August and when we were out on a small bike ride with the kids, every person we encountered said hello. I blanked the first 2 as I wasn't expecting it.

I was most impressed with the joggers. They're doing a run, they've hit a stride, they got their breathing under control and then some fucker on his bike comes by and you have to say "bonjour".
    Surely it fucks up your rhythm of breathing/paces to have to say a word inbetween at a time you can't quite determine yourself?
  • Dougs 18 Feb 2014 14:20:38 68,524 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    First ride since the storms, fuck me there's some debris on the roads. Nearly came a cropper riding along the sea front, had to take a slight diversion and nearly got walloped by a big fuck off wave. Was also lucky to get away with only one puncture...
  • OptimusPube 18 Feb 2014 19:52:06 3,169 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah I ride along the Humber and there has been lots of shit thrown up onto the Trans Pennine paths, when it gets warmer in spring and if it hasn't been cleared by the council I'll happily go along with a shovel clearing it all up.

Thanks BTW elstoof, will order it this weekend.

• Psychotext 18 Feb 2014 21:09:28 54,492 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    God... I've spent most of the last few months building up my cycling fitness / endurance. Switched back to the weights / etc for the last couple of days and I feel like someone's smashed me up with a hammer.

I must've lost so much muscle.
  • elstoof 19 Feb 2014 09:50:05 7,791 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ugh, popped a brand new tub this morning. Deeply unpleasant.
  • MikeP 19 Feb 2014 12:31:57 1,962 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How did that happen. Also, do you commute on tubs? ProStyle.

• MikeP 19 Feb 2014 12:47:18 1,962 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    God... I've spent most of the last few months building up my cycling fitness / endurance. Switched back to the weights / etc for the last couple of days and I feel like someone's smashed me up with a hammer.

I must've lost so much muscle.
    Think of the muscular endurance you've built though! Now you can get on with the strength intervals/weights and you'll be smashing it.

• elstoof 19 Feb 2014 12:54:02 7,791 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Worst possibly time too, on my first lap of Regents Park. Wouldn't mind so much if it was my last, I'll just be late for work - ended up spending valuable ride time squirting a dash of Tufo Extreme all up in there.

Which works well, btw. Recommended.

I built some tubs for the Nag to help keep the weight down a bit so if I grab that in the morning I'll be commuting while pimping the ProLook and telling everyone I pass how supple my ride is. In truth it's less of a bore fixing a tub than it is a clincher.
  • Psychotext 19 Feb 2014 13:13:57 54,492 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm in so much pain. :(

Will be back on the bike today for some intervals. I guess if nothing else that'll be a different sort of pain.
  • Dougs 19 Feb 2014 13:16:46 68,524 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Worst possibly time too, on my first lap of Regents Park. Wouldn't mind so much if it was my last, I'll just be late for work - ended up spending valuable ride time squirting a dash of Tufo Extreme all up in there.

Which works well, btw. Recommended.

I built some tubs for the Nag to help keep the weight down a bit so if I grab that in the morning I'll be commuting while pimping the ProLook and telling everyone I pass how supple my ride is. In truth it's less of a bore fixing a tub than it is a clincher.
    OK, I've been posting in this thread for a couple of years now, and I still have no idea what that means.
  • elstoof 19 Feb 2014 14:10:43 7,791 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :D

It's all got a bit Weight Weenie forum in here.

Tubular tyres are the old fashioned type, sewn down the back to form a tube of tyre. You mount these by gluing them to the rim. Pro riders use these, they're lighter, feel nicer to ride and their mechanics deal with any issues - because if you ruin a tyre you've got to deal with a knackered tyre glued to your wheel and no easy way to access the inner tube sewn inside.
  • Dougs 19 Feb 2014 14:42:47 68,524 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gotcha. I think I'm a long way from worrying about weight. Well, of the bike anyway, still some work to do on me first!

I was coveting a few 2nd hand roadies yesterday. And then I got yet another puncture and thought better of it.
  • elstoof 19 Feb 2014 14:46:49 7,791 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We're only talking a few hundred grams in weight saving over a clincher, typically.
  • Page

of 368 First / Last