Well done psychotext!
  • Psychotext 3 Feb 2014 14:06:28 53,849 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers.
  • Psychotext 4 Feb 2014 11:49:42 53,849 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks like Mike's been showing off again...

• MikeP 4 Feb 2014 13:21:26 1,771 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wish.
  • coojam 6 Feb 2014 07:20:47 625 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm after a bit of advice on picking out a new bike, hoping people here might be able to help out. I haven't had a bike since being a teenager, so I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this.

My primary purpose will be for commuting, with some leisure cycling thrown in, maybe a mild amount of off-road. I also prefer an upright position, so I've been looking at hybrid road bikes and comfort bikes.

I get an excellent discount on Diamondback bikes through my work, so I've narrowed down it down to the following two bikes which fall into my budget. (Apologies for the US links, I live in LA).

Diamondback Wildwood Classic £170
    Diamondback Insight 2 £246

I have a back condition and am worried that the harder ride of the Insight might cause inflammation. Cycling is otherwise very good exercise for it. The suspension on the Wildwood seems perfect in this regard.

That said, I know the Insight has the thickened tyres which will be better for the roads I'm going to be riding to work on. Just not sure how hard a ride it will be.

I've done the typical thing of over-researching all this (you should see my little OCD spreadsheet), so I'm hoping someone who knows what they're talking about can offer me up some advice!
  • Deleted user 6 February 2014 12:05:24
    If itís for a commute, Iíd try and bump up the price a little to get a steel frame. Steel has a little flex to it which makes it more comfortable for your sort of journey.

Iím not sure about Diamondback, but Iíve found that sub-£300 bikes have bad fittings, bolts, etc. So itís always worth bumping up that budget a little bit so the parts are better.

Itís better to spend £50 more now than have to splash out another £100 to repair your bike in a yearís time Ė trust me. I made the mistake of grabbing a £260 bike to see if I enjoyed cycling, it had fallen apart in a year. Iíve built a £900 bike and itís almost a year old with no problems whatsoever, save for the odd puncture.
  • elstoof 6 Feb 2014 12:26:28 6,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You'd need to bump the price up significantly to get a decent steel frame to be honest, and when you're on a hybrid with chunky tyres you'd be hard pressed to notice much difference in a frame at that price point anyway.

You need to give them a test ride if possible, but I don't think I'd want to go off road much on either of them so I wouldn't let that influence any decision if it were me.
  • Psychotext 6 Feb 2014 12:27:56 53,849 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wouldn't use either on anything other than a dirt track. I don't think they'd stand up to it (and you'd do your back no favours at all).
  • elstoof 6 Feb 2014 12:30:30 6,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, cheap suspension is pretty much worthless. you'd be better serviced on the Insight and sticking in the fattest tyres the rims will take in my opinion.
  • coojam 6 Feb 2014 17:00:38 625 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for the advice. The prices I quoted are what I can get them for, not their RRP, which would normally be much higher. The Insight is a $600 bike usually.

The reason I'm opting for aluminium (aluminum eugh) is for the weight as I'll be lugging it up and down stairs, through a service elevator etc. Sounds like of the two the Insight is the better bet though. I'm also vain enough to admit it's the better looking bike!
  • elstoof 6 Feb 2014 17:22:20 6,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nothing at all wrong with aluminium as a material for building frames. I'd rather have an alu bike than a similarly priced carbon given a certain budget. Beyond that budget, it would have to be carbon or some steel exotica because that's what there is available.
  • Psychotext 6 Feb 2014 17:34:31 53,849 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aye, most mountain bikes are aluminium until you get to the really hardcore stuff.
  • OptimusPube 8 Feb 2014 06:00:15 2,909 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't mind the rain, even if it is heavy, it's these persistent strong winds that are pissing me off, just fuck off already, you've out stayed your welcome.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC≤

• Megapocalypse 8 Feb 2014 08:18:52 5,323 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have a feeling tomorrow's sportive is going to be windy to the point of not being fun. And in other news I didn't make the balot for the London - Surrey 100. :(

Edited by Megapocalypse at 08:19:25 08-02-2014
  • elstoof 8 Feb 2014 09:58:57 6,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nor me. The whole thing is leaving bad taste in my mouth really, glossy rejection magazine in the post pushing the charity ride angle like nobodies business to lure people who've got their hopes up to go that down route. Of they course they want that, they charge the charities 200 quid per rider entry. Tidy bit of business.
  • Megapocalypse 8 Feb 2014 10:05:15 5,323 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I imagine its going to be like the marathon where your chances of getting in the free ballot increase each year you enter. Also, now I have no excuse not to do the far harder Haywards Heath Howler the following weekend.
  • elstoof 8 Feb 2014 10:22:04 6,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Perhaps, I'd imagine they use the same ballot software for both. Still, I know people who've had no luck 2 years I a row now. Next year I won't be a club member, I'll have never done a sportive and I'll hope get round in 10 hours on my hybrid. See if that works.
  • Megapocalypse 9 Feb 2014 12:05:46 5,323 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well that was rubbish. 13 miles in, just got to the first proper climb and the bike broke. As I changed down to the lower set there was a loud crunch and the derailleur jammed. Parts flew off and it's all bent out of shape now. More money. :(
  • basmans_grob 9 Feb 2014 13:10:06 264 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hi all,

I rather think I need a new tire, the tire wall has come away from the inner structural support of the tire. The thick wire that goes into the metal lip of the wheel - there was also a hell of a rip in the tube at that spot as well. Do you think I need a new tire??

Also - if I do any recommendations? I was commuting an hour a day on roads pretty much every day, all weathers until an accident. So it does get quite a lot of useage. Current tube size is 700 x 32C (I've never bought tires before).

Cheers.
  • elstoof 9 Feb 2014 13:26:07 6,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds like you do indeed need a new tyre. Hard to recommend one without knowing what you currently have, but if it's the tyres that came with the bike pretty much anything will be an improvement. Your safest bet is to take your bike or wheel to your lbs and see what they suggest.
  • elstoof 9 Feb 2014 13:26:40 6,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That sounds pretty shit Mega, you get home easily enough?
  • basmans_grob 9 Feb 2014 13:37:58 264 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do I need to replace both tyres at the same time? 1000 miles in. I was possibly thinking of Schwalbe Marathon Plus, 31 each from evans.

13 miles in is horrible - its the problem with riding you can so easily end up miles from nowhere and that's a hell of a long walk home!
  • Megapocalypse 9 Feb 2014 13:38:25 5,323 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, the organisers sent a van to collect me and get me back to the start. Then just a series of walks and trains. Easy, just cold and frustrating. Home now.

• elstoof 9 Feb 2014 13:46:34 6,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You don't have to replace both tyres necessarily, just use a bit of common sense about it. The rear one takes most of the wear, carries the most weight and deals with the most friction through acceleration so you can get away with holding off a bit longer on the front. I always change both at the same time though, can't be arsed juggling tyres and sticking new f+r's on simultaneously keeps things simple. Plus it's more of a treat having fresh rubber on both.

Ouch Mega, I think I can see what the problem is.

It's fucked.
  • elstoof 9 Feb 2014 13:49:05 6,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is that the inside plate of the jockey wheels? I'm not sure how that would even happen. Looks like your mech hanger got bent inwards as well?
  • Megapocalypse 9 Feb 2014 13:51:16 5,323 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep. Still not entirely sure what's happened, though it all needs replacing. Thankfully, 105 isn't that expensive.
  • elstoof 9 Feb 2014 13:53:45 6,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe one of the screws holding the plate on worked it's way loose.
  • skiplevels 9 Feb 2014 14:10:53 337 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    shredded my PR on the crow road (3.1 miles @ 5%) by a minute forty yesterday and then took 30 seconds off my PR today on the local climb (1.7 miles @ 4%) I use for sunday loops

still not fast but happy to be getting faster

signed up for club's mallorca spring training too... *gulp*
  • skiplevels 9 Feb 2014 14:13:39 337 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    obviously putting out too many watts, mega!! : )

sucks
  • OptimusPube 9 Feb 2014 14:26:16 2,909 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Proper pushed myself today, done 55 miles, beat my PB by 5 miles an hour got up to 40mph I proper laughed my head off when I looked at my computer, although it helps with crazy back wind on a steep decline.

:D

Was my first group ride today as well and it was loads of fun, I usually ride solo, I'm shaking and almost passing out here but it was worth it.

Time for a beer.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC≤

• Page

of 343 First / Last