The cycling thread Page 284

• Page

of 322 First / Last

• caligari 27 Dec 2013 19:56:21 16,832 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @MikeP - Cheers, Mike. I actually ordered a few pairs of DHB tights last night. I do love the fact that Wiggle offers free returns!
  • skiplevels 27 Dec 2013 21:45:57 292 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I'm waiting for the rapha festive sale to (hopefully) pick up some bibs
  • OptimusPube 28 Dec 2013 13:26:54 2,414 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've just ruined my bike, I'm so upset right now, it is a write off, front forks fucked, rear wheel buckled, drive chain fucked, saddle ruined.

I'm so upset right now, I was looking back to see if this couple was alright as they had broken down on the Humber Bridge which is dangerous in its own right and I crashed into one of the brackets that holds the bridges cables, I'm in so much pain, especially my right arm.

Fuck my life. :(

Is it supposed to be like this?

• skiplevels 28 Dec 2013 14:22:50 292 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    fuck. have you gone to A&E? did you cycle home? gws

on a separate note: sooooooooooo coooooooooooooold

60 miles in the rain has me like fffffffffff brrrrrrrrrr
  • elstoof 28 Dec 2013 15:50:01 6,140 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shitters, the main thing is you're not irreversibly damaged OP. Get the bike into a shop and see what can be salvaged, might not be as bad as you fear. New forks are easy to sort out, the rear wheel could just need re-trueing and new saddle and chain is easy enough. You'll be back on the road in no time I'm sure.
  • Psychotext 29 Dec 2013 11:58:22 52,797 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Give us an update when you can Optimus. Hopefully the bike's not as bad as you first thought and that you haven't done yourself any serious damage.
  • MikeP 29 Dec 2013 21:12:51 1,676 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, get well soon. Horrible thing to have happened, hope you're OK.
  • Bremenacht 29 Dec 2013 23:51:26 15,756 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @OptimusPube There's an expression I constantly use - 'no good deed goes unpunished' :(

Hope you're Ok. Hope you can rebuild your bike too.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• skiplevels 30 Dec 2013 20:54:31 292 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    rapha sale is shite. bum sticks

anyone manage the festive 500 this year? only 137k for me : /

going out tomorrow though, weather willing
  • OptimusPube 30 Dec 2013 22:49:48 2,414 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cool concept

• skiplevels 31 Dec 2013 16:13:32 292 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    anyone got any experience unsticking stuck brake callipers? it's a side pull ultegra rear

have taken it off, cleaned, degreased and lubed. still seized. should I pull it apart and give it a full stripdown, clean, lube?

front was seized too: successfully taken off and cleaned, GT85'd etc and it's like new now

brakes shouldn't /fail/ should they?

Edited by skiplevels at 16:13:56 31-12-2013
  • Psychotext 31 Dec 2013 16:38:59 52,797 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They can get gummed up, but to be honest as long as you've got them pre-tensioned enough I can't imagine them sticking unless they're REALLY dirty.
  • skiplevels 31 Dec 2013 17:26:37 292 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    took brake off again and took it to pieces, thoroughly cleaned and relubed.

working and saved myself the quoted 70 for new brake set and labour

boom. feels good
  • Psychotext 31 Dec 2013 17:43:50 52,797 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Talking of which, fuckers at my LBS didn't tension my new headset properly which has left it rocking when I brake heavily / take a hit on the front of the bike. Utterly ridiculous, I take it to an LBS because I lack the tools or confidence to do the job and then they bollocks it up.

So fed up of shit LBS.
  • MikeP 31 Dec 2013 20:00:21 1,676 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just entered this http://www.ratracecrossing.com/

Now I just need to chose my weapon. And do some training.
  • Psychotext 31 Dec 2013 20:27:02 52,797 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's a shame, I already have something planned for that weekend.

Yes, a real shame indeed.
  • DerpSalad 31 Dec 2013 20:30:30 23 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Does anyone know of any bike bargains about? I cycle 3 miles to work and my current bike is simply not fit for purpose anymore - I bought it for 40 off a mate so servicing it would likely cost more than the bike itself. Any budget bikes/brands around that you'd care to recommend?
  • OptimusPube 31 Dec 2013 21:13:49 2,414 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Off road or on road, you can't go far wrong with Halfords sales, I'm currently looking for a new bike as I totalled mine, I just want another TDF. :(

• Psychotext 31 Dec 2013 21:42:44 52,797 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Probably can't go too far one with one of the boardman bikes on sale here

Edited by Psychotext at 21:43:13 31-12-2013
  • elstoof 31 Dec 2013 22:23:46 6,140 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Talking of which, fuckers at my LBS didn't tension my new headset properly which has left it rocking when I brake heavily / take a hit on the front of the bike. Utterly ridiculous, I take it to an LBS because I lack the tools or confidence to do the job and then they bollocks it up.

So fed up of shit LBS.
    Loosen top cap on top of steerer tube.
    Loosen stem bolts around steerer tube.
    Tighten screw on top cap to preload bearings in headset.
    Straighten stem and tighten stem bolts.

All you need is a few Allen keys unless you've got torx bolts on your stem. Issadoddle.
  • Psychotext 31 Dec 2013 22:35:22 52,797 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's the theory anyway... nothing ever goes that simply with me.

Plus of course, how on earth did they fuck it up given it was that simple? Grrr.
  • elstoof 31 Dec 2013 22:43:40 6,140 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    That's the theory anyway... nothing ever goes that simply with me.

Plus of course, how on earth did they fuck it up given it was that simple? Grrr.
    Sometimes the bearings aren't quite seated in the races properly and the top cap doesn't press down enough, I always give the stem and forks a good wiggle as a push it all down to make sure it's all in place before I tighten the top cap.

Edited by elstoof at 22:44:18 31-12-2013
  • caligari 1 Jan 2014 03:45:57 16,832 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DerpSalad wrote:
    Does anyone know of any bike bargains about? I cycle 3 miles to work and my current bike is simply not fit for purpose anymore - I bought it for 40 off a mate so servicing it would likely cost more than the bike itself. Any budget bikes/brands around that you'd care to recommend?
    It might be worth checking to see if your work offers a 'Cycle To Work' scheme to its employers - it'll mean that you can order a bike and gear worth up to 1000. You'll still have to pay for it, but it'll be spread over 12 months (via a 'salary sacrifice'), with some of it coming out of your tax (err - well I THINK that's how it works).

Otherwise, if you'd rather just buy one straight away, then it might be worth checking out the Triban 3 from Decathlon. I've never tried one, but it has a bit of a 'cult' following, and gets some great reviews.

Edited by caligari at 03:48:12 01-01-2014
  • caligari 1 Jan 2014 03:51:46 16,832 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    I've just ruined my bike, I'm so upset right now, it is a write off, front forks fucked, rear wheel buckled, drive chain fucked, saddle ruined.

I'm so upset right now, I was looking back to see if this couple was alright as they had broken down on the Humber Bridge which is dangerous in its own right and I crashed into one of the brackets that holds the bridges cables, I'm in so much pain, especially my right arm.

Fuck my life. :(
    Ooof, sorry to hear that, OP.

How's the bike looking?
  • caligari 1 Jan 2014 03:55:37 16,832 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    caligari wrote:
    Picked up a few items from my latest Cycle 2 Work order. The Merino long-sleeve top is amazing - how did I ever cope without it?

Also grabbed a nifty Altura skullcap (again - highly recommended for this chilly weather - just don't forget that you have it on) - and a set of Knog Blinder USB Road lights - which live up to their name. The front still isn't as bright as my P7 torch, but a great for areas that actually have street lights.

My girlfriend also bought me some spoke reflectors which are pretty fun - not sure if I'll just keep them on one of my single speeds, though - they're rather flashy!

I think I'm going to HAVE to get a pair of tights - any (cheap but cheerful) recommendations? Assos/Rapha/Gore will have to wait until the next C2W order.
    Have a look at Endura or Dhb (Wiggle own brand) if you're on a budget. They both knock out decent price kit, Endura is generally very good value for money.
    I've come to the painful conclusion that I should NEVER wear tights.

My legs are not unnaturally muscular, but I find it next to impossible to get these things over my calves - and they always feel too short (I'm about 6'2" - again, nothing too freakish).
  • Psychotext 2 Jan 2014 12:25:07 52,797 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Welp, I've just gone and done it. Old faithful is losing the v brakes and getting an upgrade to XT M785 disc brakes with ice-tech rotors. Couple of times recently I haven't been able to stop in the wet and I figure that I'd rather be dealing with a bit more weight than flying off the edge of a mountain somewhere.

200 all told, which is actually phenomenal given what all this would have cost me without the sales. Am going to need a new set of rims too, but for the moment I'm using my nephew's old set.

Now I just need to lose a kg or so of fat to even the score. :D
  • andytheadequate 2 Jan 2014 12:51:38 7,957 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Psychotext - be careful on your first ride with them. When I upgraded to hydraulic disc brakes I went over the handle bars the first time I used them in anger
  • Psychotext 2 Jan 2014 12:54:51 52,797 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice. :D

I use them on my other bike though so I should be OK.

/faceplant
  • Megapocalypse 3 Jan 2014 09:27:08 5,229 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone done any sportives through Evans Ride It? There's a good one coming up near me soon which will be nice to start the year off, but the site doesn't make then look anywhere near as well organised as the Wiggle / Cycling Weekly ones.
  • MikeP 6 Jan 2014 13:30:55 1,676 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just put my frame in for painting. Going for a dark grey with a subtle metallic, and it's being done as a powder coat finish for durability.

I had all sorts of fancy things in mind, but over Christmas I decided to go with something simple so I can build it up and ride it.

Should be ready by the end of the week, then I can build it up over the weekend...
  • Page

of 322 First / Last