The cycling thread Page 280

• Page

of 341 First / Last

• pistol 5 Dec 2013 15:27:31 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Yeah, got my medical certificate. I'm just your average club rider - don't really go in for too many sportives to be honest, I just like riding and training. I'm in London so the club I ride with generally go through Herts, 120km or so at an average of at least 34kmh on the weekend. During the week I'm pretty solitary, intervals, threshold work, whatever I can fit in around family and work life like everyone else.
    Good luck whatever you decide to do. Be interested to hear how you get on. This year's Marmotte was hot, and supposed to be one of the hottest in 10 years. Hit late 30's on occasions and I remember a french girl running after me as I was going up Alp Duez emptying a bottle of water on my head. She was worried as I had a Contour Roam 2 camera on my helmet..;-) I was trying to explain it was OK, it's waterproof..
  • elstoof 5 Dec 2013 15:40:15 6,596 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers! Heh, a few guys I ride with did it last year and told me about the heat. My favourite line was "I looked at my garmin and it read 40c. I figured this was because it was in the sun, and felt a little better. Then I realised that I too was in the sun, and felt a lot worse." A couple of club mates even turned out sub 7 hour times despite the heat, impressive stuff.
  • Cappy 5 Dec 2013 15:41:01 11,826 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got a wobble on my back wheel, going down steep hills is a real test of nerve. :-(

I'm hoping on the outside chance that perhaps it's just a case of adjusting a nut, but it's probably buckled and only getting worse.

I should send the bill to my Borough Council, the white elephant road scheme they implemented from the Olympics money trough left the cycleway I regularly use in sub third world condition with various loose filled trenches with pieces of metal and rubble sticking up, hidden by a three Foot high wall of weeds and food and drink containers left by the contractors who had supposedly finished.

They hadn't quite finished of course, the project has overrun by a year and they still come back periodically to make things worse. I was fixing punctures practically every week in the late Summer and that's with puncture resistant tyres fitted.
  • pistol 5 Dec 2013 15:45:58 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Cheers! Heh, a few guys I ride with did it last year and told me about the heat. My favourite line was "I looked at my garmin and it read 40c. I figured this was because it was in the sun, and felt a little better. Then I realised that I too was in the sun, and felt a lot worse." A couple of club mates even turned out sub 7 hour times despite the heat, impressive stuff.
    Guy who runs AlpCycles does it in around 7:10 and one of the guests staying with us was a Pro. See below. Was in the 2001 World's against the likes of Ulrich etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Lovatt

I did it 8:30

Edited by pistol at 15:56:51 05-12-2013
  • MikeP 5 Dec 2013 17:58:05 1,765 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Picked up the replacement Boardman Team CX for the missus today. They don't put them together with much love, I tell you. One rear brake caliper bolt was half-inserted, so the caliper wouldn't stay put. I had to clear the thread, but then it was fine.

Neither caliper was remotely centred over the disc, so I had to adjust all that too.

A shame really, as the spec and overall thinking on the design is good. They really need to sort their build QA. I'm going to write to them. Shame to think there are probably loads of people riding wonky Boardman's around, not knowing there's anything wrong with them.
  • OptimusPube 6 Dec 2013 01:30:35 2,907 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Halfords really do a shitty job don't they, I got a Carrera from them and all sorts of things were loose and not aligned, they're only young lads who really couldn't give a shit, they must have a high staff turn over.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• OptimusPube 6 Dec 2013 01:31:15 2,907 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anyway came here to post this awesome gadget.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• MikeP 6 Dec 2013 22:45:35 1,765 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Halfords really do a shitty job don't they, I got a Carrera from them and all sorts of things were loose and not aligned, they're only young lads who really couldn't give a shit, they must have a high staff turn over.
    The mechanic told me he'd assembled 44 bikes the day before. Fourty-four. I'm surprised they even look at them.
  • Psychotext 7 Dec 2013 00:07:09 53,780 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was in one the other day and they were mentioning that one local branch had done 158 bikes the day before. Batshit.
  • MikeP 7 Dec 2013 14:48:48 1,765 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had a quick spin around the park on the Karate Monkey I bought off @trafford. It's all the right kinds of stupid. I keep thinking I should change gear, only to remember I have precisely one.

• reggy72 7 Dec 2013 15:11:06 252 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The problem with nice expensive bikes is that there is always some pikey fuck waiting to steal them, I've given up on cycling as although I do live in a nice part of town over the last 20 years I've lost around 4k in bikes stolen from me, bikes that were secure padlocked in sheds. It seems that there must be a career to be made in hunting down expensive bikes then taking off with them?

I've noticed the Halfords record on here isn't too clever with the stupid amount of cycles prepared ready for the customer, when I was at school I had a part time job in a Raleigh shop and it was my job under supervision to prepare cycles for the customers, these were factory assembled but needing a lot of fettling, I could do at most 4 a day which would have involved front and rear wheels trued and dished, brake and gear cables stretched then adjusted along with brake shoe/pad tow to avoid squeak, all gears set, bottom brackets sometime stripped out and rebuilt with marine grade grease, every nut and bolt tightened the essential ones with a small dab of threadlock, clean wheels and frame then cover in protective plastic ready for collection, the shop then offered customers a 7 day free service, basically bring it back for all of the above to be done again, all for £8 per day!.

Edited by reggy72 at 15:21:02 07-12-2013
  • skiplevels 7 Dec 2013 15:14:16 336 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    MikeP wrote:
    Had a quick spin around the park on the Karate Monkey I bought off @trafford. It's all the right kinds of stupid. I keep thinking I should change gear, only to remember I have precisely one.

oooooooh, that looks fun

properly grimy ride today. 68 miles in the cold and wet

makes for some ~metal~ photos tho
  • OptimusPube 7 Dec 2013 15:32:51 2,907 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @reggy72

That's exactly the reason I keep my bikes in the house, I have an empty spare room upstairs so keep two in there and the one I'm using in the kitchen, fuck keeping expensive bikes in a poxy wooden shed, my bikes aren't expensive but no pikey is getting his mits on mine.

It's a bit of a ball ache lugging them up and down the stairs but it's not to much trouble to keep them safe.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• Trafford 7 Dec 2013 16:06:04 5,610 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Mikep. Heh, glad you're enjoying it.
    The single "clown bike" gear does take some getting used to, but it really is all about the joy of riding.
    Give it some mixed off road terrain and it's a ripper.
  • Psychotext 8 Dec 2013 23:12:22 53,780 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just got back from doing Wiggle / UK Cycling Events' Fallen Leaves ride. Was a reasonable route but I can't help thinking that they need to send some of their staff to do one of Cycling Weekly's rides.

Stewards (outside of a couple of exceptions) were miserable, there was precisely one place to get food after the ride (I guess they wanted the profits to themselves) and all they could put together was a choice of cold sausage roll, lukewarm pasty or sandwich. Plus there was no sign to warn that the end was near so a bunch of us found ourselves quite surprised to be done with the ride. I appreciate that no-one wants to get a constant reminder of how long is left, but surely putting a "5 miles to go" sign near the end wouldn't harm.

Oh, and the finishers medal didn't even have the event name on... which is just cheap. I'm actually starting to regret that I bought a season ticket for next year.

Edit - Plus one thing I forgot, they didn't allow registration the day before (you had to get your number the morning of the ride), which meant that we had to go with a half arsed breakfast or miss the last start time.

Wasn't all negative... parking was handled very well. Which was pretty damn important given there were so many riders.

Edited by Psychotext at 23:23:32 08-12-2013
  • OptimusPube 9 Dec 2013 06:48:37 2,907 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Saw a curlew on my travels along the Humber yesterday, never seen one before in my life but knew of them as I love all things nature, stopped for five minutes just watching it digging its weird beak into the muddy banks looking for food. :D

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• Megapocalypse 9 Dec 2013 07:38:51 5,309 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Psychotext I've been on a few Wiggle rides and Cycling Weekly ones and always found the wiggle ones to be better in terms of signage and refreshments. Maybe just a bad day?
  • Psychotext 9 Dec 2013 09:49:46 53,780 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did all the wiggle ones have the same day check in / registration thing?

Signage was fine aside from not showing that final distance marker. Feed stations were ok, though I didn't bother stopping as it was only a short route.

But in terms of refreshments at the start / end there was nothing aside from the single stand serving the free coffee and a handful of other things. That wouldn't have been quite so bad, but there was only one person serving which led to an utterly ridiculous line.
  • Megapocalypse 9 Dec 2013 10:00:52 5,309 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep, and no problems checking in. Don't think I've ever had to queue. Thinking back I think one of the wiggle ones had distance markers near the end (10k, 5k) and the other didn't. Refreshments at the end have been the same at both and as you describe though I've never had a problem with queues.

I like wiggle though as at the end they give you a rucksack of goodies, whereas CW gave me a carrier bag which I couldn't ride home with so had to leave it.
  • Megapocalypse 9 Dec 2013 10:03:29 5,309 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Booked up my first couple for next year now and am looking forward to them. Gone for longer standard distances now building up towards epic ones for the summer hopefully.
  • Psychotext 9 Dec 2013 10:06:12 53,780 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Crap. It's going to make them virtually un-doable for me then unless I plan on taking a microwave in my car or something. I had breakfast as early as it was possible to do it and only managed to start the event with one minute to spare (and I was literally only 5 minutes away by car). That, or I'm going to need to find B&Bs that offer breakfast at 6am.

Edited by Psychotext at 10:07:17 09-12-2013
  • Megapocalypse 9 Dec 2013 10:10:18 5,309 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Most of the wiggle ones do have the option to register the afternoon before hand if that helps. I've just never bothered as without a car I just stick to the ones which I can cycle to / get an early train.
  • Psychotext 9 Dec 2013 10:12:31 53,780 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's what I meant by the question... I could have been clearer. The one I did yesterday didn't have that which made it a really stressful start.

One other thing they got massively wrong was that they only had a single portaloo at the feed station. This after this recent news story on one of their events in the area...

New Forest 100 Sportive: Racing cyclists criticised for leaving "piles of excrement" on village green

Edited by Psychotext at 10:14:25 09-12-2013
  • MikeP 9 Dec 2013 17:54:15 1,765 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @skiplevels Cracking photo - whereabouts do you live?
  • MikeP 9 Dec 2013 18:02:15 1,765 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm regarding the Karate Monkey as something of an experimental platform for messing about with.

I'm planning on doing an off road event next summer that will require gears of some description. Current thinking is an Alfine 8-speed rear, Rockshox Reba suspension fork (if I can get one for a good price on FleaBay) bar end shifter, drop bars. Because if it's good enough for John Tomac, it's good enough for me.
  • Psychotext 9 Dec 2013 18:48:34 53,780 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're not allowed to show me up with a frankenbike. I know how it works, anyone riding stuff that crazy tends to be crazy good.
  • MikeP 10 Dec 2013 10:01:42 1,765 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, you say that :p

I actually rode it to work this morning, which was relaxing.
  • Psychotext 10 Dec 2013 11:42:00 53,780 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good to see Specialized being made to look silly over their trademark bullshit: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/specialized-roubaix-trademark-legal-threat-may-backfire-as-fuji-weighs-in-39260
  • Psychotext 10 Dec 2013 14:34:06 53,780 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Road Bike Party 2:

Hopefully it wont be long before he's back on 2 wheels.
  • Trafford 10 Dec 2013 15:05:29 5,610 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    Yeah, you say that :p

I actually rode it to work this morning, which was relaxing.
    It's certainly a relaxing ride, once you realise its not geared for speed : D
  • Page

of 341 First / Last