The cycling thread Page 279

• Page

of 375 First / Last

• caligari 26 Nov 2013 22:18:46 17,194 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:

I've thought about mud guards but they look shit and ugly on road bikes so haven't bothered, I just get a good soaking, on my commute to work I just wear waterproofs. Can you not get waterproof cycling shorts/trousers?
    I crumbled and bought another Ass Saver - I couldn't resist this one.

Probably a little too 'zany' - but it'll stop anyone from stealing it.
  • caligari 26 Nov 2013 22:20:39 17,194 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Goddamnit. I fixed the issue with my gears but on closer inspection of my bike I think my rear hub is screwed.

I had new wheels on the shopping list but I didn't want to rush it with Christmas spending coming. :(
    That's unfortunate, sir. My rear hub (Fulcrum 5) loves to give me hassle at least once a year. I've had to get the bearings replaced at least twice.
  • caligari 26 Nov 2013 22:21:42 17,194 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    There are photographers at the London X League CX races. Here I am, riding like I stole it :D

Really liking racing. Bloody hard work, but excellent fun and a good vibe.
    Hah, brilliant shot! I hope the landing didn't see your nuts end up in your stomach.
  • Psychotext 26 Nov 2013 22:22:51 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Annoying thing is that I actually replaced the bearings recently but the bike got cleaned at an event and I think they may have actually sprayed degreaser right into the hub... I should have checked right after, but as always, life has a habit of getting in the way.
  • MikeP 27 Nov 2013 10:57:30 2,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Annoying thing is that I actually replaced the bearings recently but the bike got cleaned at an event and I think they may have actually sprayed degreaser right into the hub... I should have checked right after, but as always, life has a habit of getting in the way.
    I had to do that with the CX bike when I bought it - the freehub sounded dreadful, and once I'd got oil in there the rust slurry that came out was pretty ugly. No option except to replace it.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• MikeP 27 Nov 2013 10:59:53 2,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @caligari Much to my own surprise I stuck the landing like a boss. Simultaneous front and rear wheel touchdown on the down slope. For once :D

I think I'm going to quit while I'm ahead on the jumps.

• Psychotext 27 Nov 2013 19:00:08 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is pretty shit:

Team Lampre-Merida robbed of 111 bikes, seeks help
  • MikeP 27 Nov 2013 21:08:19 2,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I heard about that, shocking.

There was a spate of it last year - team trucks parked behind other vehicles, tailgates against walls, and yet in the morning they'd been cleaned out of bikes and wheels.

• Phil-McCrack 29 Nov 2013 06:44:14 3,356 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Some dopey old tart in a car hit me last night, I wouldn't mind but I was stationary waiting at a give way as she had the right of way but didn't see me, she made a right turn into the road I was waiting but cut the corner and hit me, luckily she only scuffed my front wheel just slightly but it could've been a lot worse if I hadn't bunny hopped to the side, my bike would've been a write off.

She stopped as she knew she had done wrong but didn't even get out of her car to see if I was okay she just wound down her window. I approached her and just went into rage mode screaming and swearing at her.

So many dopey cunts on the roads including cyclists, I've seen so many without lights it's unreal. I wouldn't mind but I was wearing my cycling top which is high vis with reflective strips all over it and all my lights flashing away. Unbelievable.

:evil:

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner
    Formerly OptimusPube

• Psychotext 29 Nov 2013 09:08:25 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lost count of the number of cunts I see completely cutting corners. How fucking lazy can you be? It's like, omg it's so hard to turn the wheel that far.

As my car is due for replacement soon I'm actually tempted to put it into harms way on one of the junctions near me just to prove a point.
  • Phil-McCrack 29 Nov 2013 15:35:51 3,356 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    On my commute to work this morning (still dark) I counted 6 cyclists not wearing any hi vis clothing, all in dark clothes, no lights and no helmets, 3 of which were paper boys using the roads.

The fucking parents want shooting, no wonder there has been so many cyclist deaths over the recent weeks.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner
    Formerly OptimusPube

• Psychotext 29 Nov 2013 16:38:11 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ha shit... I was switching my brake sides over so that my bikes match and hadn't realised that the housing had slipped down the cable when I cut it... so now I have an outer that will work in a straight line, and auto brake when turning right.

I think I might be off to the shops. :D
  • MikeP 30 Nov 2013 16:56:51 2,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The missus bought a Boardman 2014 Team CX bike today. They are offering 10% off today (only I think) plus that stacks with 10% from her British Cycling membership, so it saves a bundle.

Sadly, we've had to take the first one back and they are ordering a replacement. Couldn't get the indexing to work, and I noticed that the derailleur hanger was bent. Quite badly. On further investigation it had been subjected to a force that had also bent the frame.

And then, we realised that the dropout and hanger had been filed to allow the wheel to get into the dropout. Now, Halfords get the bikes part assembled, so I very much suspect this is a botch job done at the factory.

Once we get a replacement on Monday I'll be writing to Boardman. The bike is brilliant value, but someone seriously needs to have a word with their QA team.

Edited by MikeP at 16:57:24 30-11-2013

• Psychotext 30 Nov 2013 17:05:44 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That settles it then. I was looking at that one but if I'm honest I don't like the paintjob (shut up!). I'm considering grabbing a Cannondale CAADX Disc 6 Tiagra 2014 or a Norco Threshold A2 2014 which suit my tastes a bit better.

• MikeP 30 Nov 2013 17:13:14 2,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Both look good. The 'dale is really "America, Fuck Yeah!" :D

• Psychotext 30 Nov 2013 17:19:31 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll have my EPO ready!
  • Psychotext 30 Nov 2013 18:52:19 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some fairly epic riding here
  • skiplevels 1 Dec 2013 15:41:28 635 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    71 miles yesterday in the freezing cold

time to look out the proper winter bike I think
  • Benno 2 Dec 2013 10:58:34 10,268 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Had my first crash yesterday! Took a corner a bit too quick and the bike slid out underneath me! I think I have bruised a rib as it knacks every time I breath :(

My tri bars have also bent completely, so they will need replacing. I think the rest of the bike looks okay though.
  • Psychotext 2 Dec 2013 12:03:51 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    D'oh. :(
  • MikeP 3 Dec 2013 15:06:11 2,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    According to Cotic, 26 aint dead yet.

http://vimeo.com/80894248

• pistol 5 Dec 2013 11:04:59 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    Thanks Pistol!

I bought my bike last week. I went for a Felt Z85 off Ebay. I am 6"6" so I got the highest frame they do (61cm), as that is touted for 6"3"-6"5".

I cost me about 600.

I've had a few cheeky 5 mile rides on it, and I love it!

I have just bought some proper road cycling shoes to go with the clipless pedals the bike came with. Its a bit nerveracking to be honest! I dont have a problem unclipping, its just clipping back in when setting off that I have a problem with. I feel a bit stupid setting off from a junction and spending 30 seconds fucking around trying to clip my foot in the peddle!

Theres obviously a knack to it, do you guys have any tips?
    Bit late to the thread but nice bike. One of training partners is 6ft 8 and rides a Scott CR1 in the largest frame they have. I think it's a 61. Very strong rider and was in the top 150 of all riders doing this year's 130 mile Wales Dragon, on his first attempt. Also did under 8hrs in this year's Marmotte.
  • pistol 5 Dec 2013 11:13:07 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    @pistol just wondered if I could quiz to about your marmotte experience, do you go with one of the tour operators or do you get entry only and sort accommodation etc yourself?
    Sorry, been away from the forum for a while. I've done it twice and both times stayed with AlpCycles at the top of Alp Duez. Great bunch of people, good food etc. Also do airport transfers for you and your bike. I would be going with them again next year but decided to miss 2014 and enter 2015. Next year I'll do UK only.

Happy to offer you any tips for the event if you need it. It's a tough ride so make sure you are well prepared. I've seen so many riders in trouble and it's obvious they've under-estimated it. One of the guys I met at Alpcycles was on his 4th as didn't manage to complete 2, and this year he bailed at the bottom of the first mountain.
  • pistol 5 Dec 2013 11:15:37 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Cock it, I've entered the Marmotte. Should be fun.
    What events are you doing to prep for it?

Are you doing Wales Dragon?

That's usually my last one before the Marmotte and a good indicator as to your condition. What sort of rider are you? When you ride sportives do you go for a time or just aim to get round?
  • pistol 5 Dec 2013 11:25:57 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I'm 50/50 on it, I'll definitely do the Etape because there'll be a bunch of us going down there but it's worked out I don't know a single person doing the marmotte this year. I reckon a lot of UK based cyclists would rather be up in Yorkshire for the grand depart rather than go to the Alpe on the 5th of July, I got a ticket to keep my options open more than anything. If I've got enough brownie points with the wife I could always just hop on a train to Grenoble and have a quick spin. If not, there's always next year.
    I know quite a few people doing the Marmotte this year and most of the tour operators locally fill up really quickly. I know AlpCycles is already fully booked. There are others I know at the bottom of Alp Duez near the start-line, or about half way up the Col De O'rnon which is also near. You really need to get your plans sorted this year or at the latest, Jan next year. Otherwise you'll struggle to get in anywhere. Plus, if you know you're booked in it'll give you added motivation to train. It really is a tough ride and being as prepared as much as possible is key. The amount of people I've seen both times really struggling. Especially going up Galibier and Alp Duez at the end. Loads of people off their bikes or walking.

For events like the Etape or Marmotte the climbs are long and on occasions, especially if you're not a strong climber, you can be climbing constantly for 2hrs. Completely different to anything in the UK and you need to train accordingly. You won't be able to replicate the climbs in the UK but there are things you can do, and if you have a turbo trainer there are sessions that will really help. What you do in training will obviously depend on your current fitness but I would definately include some 1hr sessions at high heart rate, plus threshold sessions to help your legs deal with the lactic acid. Power to weight ratio is key for those events so depending on your current weight I would look to get as light as possible (without over-doing it and losing power).

I've been going for times and plan my Marmotte route accordingly. I'll try and stay within certain heart rate zones on all 4 mountains and descend as fast as possible. Also make sure you take on enough food and drink as it's a long time in the saddle..

Edited by pistol at 11:42:08 05-12-2013

Edited by pistol at 11:43:13 05-12-2013
  • elstoof 5 Dec 2013 11:49:25 8,306 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm still undecided on the Marmotte, the focus for me is the Etape next year so I'll be looking to peak for that. I'm keeping my options open on the marmotte, I'll see how it's all stacked out closer to the time and possibly book a room or campsite in the run up - not keen on signing up to an operator. If I do go I won't care about the time and just enjoy the climbing.

I'm not a bad climber in all, relatively light for my height, 6' tall with a 65kg fighting weight.
  • pistol 5 Dec 2013 12:17:18 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I'm still undecided on the Marmotte, the focus for me is the Etape next year so I'll be looking to peak for that. I'm keeping my options open on the marmotte, I'll see how it's all stacked out closer to the time and possibly book a room or campsite in the run up - not keen on signing up to an operator. If I do go I won't care about the time and just enjoy the climbing.

I'm not a bad climber in all, relatively light for my height, 6' tall with a 65kg fighting weight.
    Same height as me and I was 76kg on this year's Marmotte, and my lightest ever. Last year I was 78kg.

Using an operator does does a lot of the stress out of it, and if you pick a good one there are usually good riders around you and I like meeting new people etc. There were 16 or 17 of us at AlpCycles and from all over the place. UK, Europe, even Australia. Plus staying at the top of Alp Duez means you are already at the finish line. It does mean you have an early morning descent down it to get to the start line but it's wakes you up. You always hear tyres going bang on that early morning descent with riders using the wrong tyres or tubes. Plus AlpCycles provide support on the event. It's not cheap but I get cheap BA flights so I'm lucky, and club a lot of the time. Also get extra luggage allowance.

I think you'll struggle to get a Marmotte place if you leave it to the last minute. Etape can be good or bad, depending on the route. It often changes and I prefer the Alps weather to the Pyrenees, which can often be terrential, windy and/or foggy.

Edited by pistol at 12:18:45 05-12-2013

Edited by pistol at 12:19:54 05-12-2013
  • elstoof 5 Dec 2013 12:46:31 8,306 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've already got entry sorted for both, accommodation in Pau for the Etape booked. I was keen on the route up the Tourmalet and Hautacam since it was announced so I bought a ticket on day 1. I'm entered in the Marmotte so all that's needed is lodgings, it's a massive ski resort so there should be something available last minute.
  • pistol 5 Dec 2013 13:19:21 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I've already got entry sorted for both, accommodation in Pau for the Etape booked. I was keen on the route up the Tourmalet and Hautacam since it was announced so I bought a ticket on day 1. I'm entered in the Marmotte so all that's needed is lodgings, it's a massive ski resort so there should be something available last minute.
    A lot of accomodation at the top of the Alp gets booked quickly.

Have you sorted your medical certificate etc for Marmotte?

You didn't say what sort of rider you are. What sportives have you done so far, how quick?

Edited by pistol at 13:19:49 05-12-2013

Edited by pistol at 13:22:38 05-12-2013
  • elstoof 5 Dec 2013 15:09:13 8,306 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, got my medical certificate. I'm just your average club rider - don't really go in for too many sportives to be honest, I just like riding and training. I'm in London so the club I ride with generally go through Herts, 120km or so at an average of at least 34kmh on the weekend. During the week I'm pretty solitary, intervals, threshold work, whatever I can fit in around family and work life like everyone else.
  • Page

of 375 First / Last