The cycling thread Page 273

• Page

of 360 First / Last

• MikeP 8 Nov 2013 22:04:07 1,885 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm 175cm, so I suspect I'm headed for a medium in most frames. Road bikes most brands would have me on a 54cm frame.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Psychotext 8 Nov 2013 22:32:50 54,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh, might be a bit big for you. I might have another one by that point anyway (or I could use that and you could use mine).
  • caligari 8 Nov 2013 23:02:50 17,061 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I should finally be back on my road bike tomorrow, after giving it a bit of an overhaul: new chainset, tyres, pedals, post and - thanks to MikeP - a nice Aliante seat, too.

Really looking forward to it - I've been using a couple of single-speeds for the last five to six months which are great, but (as stated above) can be a bit of a slog when going up hills - especially in all of this lovely weather.
  • Psychotext 9 Nov 2013 00:58:56 54,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love how this is put together: http://vimeo.com/76876745#
  • Psychotext 10 Nov 2013 20:40:01 54,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really enjoyed today's trail. Wasn't very long, but it was definitely well formed. Great fun.
  • MikeP 10 Nov 2013 22:04:48 1,885 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I spent half of today in the workshop - finished preparing the seat stays. Once they are brazed on next week then that's the major frame components finished. Then it's the brake bridge, bottle & gear bosses, seat post binder.

Fingers crossed I may have it completed by the start of December, or thereabouts.

• Psychotext 11 Nov 2013 00:35:04 54,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Excellent. I have the slightly less glamorous task of re-aligning a mangled mech hangar ahead of me.

(Turning on slippy wooden bridge = bad)
  • Psychotext 11 Nov 2013 15:56:30 54,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Soon you can look like a cycling robot... and for cheap!

...and continuing from my browsing around for CX bikes the other day, I really like this one.

Boardman CXR/9.0

Edited by Psychotext at 17:02:27 11-11-2013
  • caligari 11 Nov 2013 17:55:04 17,061 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Soon you can look like a cycling robot... and for cheap!

...and continuing from my browsing around for CX bikes the other day, I really like this one.

Boardman CXR/9.0
    I really should make the effort to bike out to a Lidl or Aldi store in the near future - I've only ever heard good things about the quality of their cycle gear.
  • Psychotext 11 Nov 2013 18:26:21 54,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My merino understuff I bought from them is fantastic. Going to be a lifesaver in the winter.
  • mal 11 Nov 2013 18:55:19 22,608 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got a Lidl baselayer top thing a year or two back, more out of interest than anything else. It doesn't help that up close it looks more like a 1970s knitted raglan than anything else - really quite nasty feeling. It's never actually been cold enough for me that I need it, so I've never worn it.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• caligari 11 Nov 2013 19:24:21 17,061 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Psychotext - Ah, I ordered some long-sleeved Merino stuff from Wiggle the other day. I'm a 'Merino Virgin' - is it as warm as they say it is?

I never had a problem with the cold with my old cycling jacket - unfortunately this newer Altura one seems a little chilly, to say the least.
  • elstoof 11 Nov 2013 19:47:53 7,519 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Merino's not really warmer than an equivalent weight fabric of another type, it's just really good at regulating your changing temperature - it's warm when you're cold but as you warm up it stops you overheating. Good quality knits feel fantastic against the skin too, and it keeps it's warmth when wet much better than any other fabric.
  • Psychotext 11 Nov 2013 20:06:09 54,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aye, it's more about keeping you at the right temperature than heating you up.
  • MikeP 12 Nov 2013 10:03:25 1,885 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When it gets really chilly a double layer of merino under a wind stopping outer is super cosy.

• OptimusPube 12 Nov 2013 21:36:18 3,078 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Christ not changed an inner tube on a road bike in 20 years, could not figure out how to stop trapping the tube where the valve is for the life of me, kept ballooning where the valve is, finally figured out that you don't put the valve secure screw on and use a bit of fairy liquid to slip it in the tyre by pushing the valve in, most probs didn't need the bit of fairy liquid lube but thought it helped.

I feel such a noob, anyway had a great ride tonight, not ridden in about four weeks ans was surprised how easy it felt, really need some full length shorts, my legs were freezing.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• Psychotext 12 Nov 2013 21:49:22 54,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dressing at this time of year always gets to be a bit of a nightmare. I hate trying to get it right and I almost always underestimate it (and nearly freeze to death on the side of a random Welsh hill).
  • Trafford 12 Nov 2013 22:16:15 5,807 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    I'm a 'Merino Virgin' - is it as warm as they say it is?
    It is a wonder fabric. I've got a jersey that's good for all year round.
    Not just about keeping warm but handling moisture as well.
    I've used merino long johns when camping. Very snug.

Edited by Trafford at 22:18:55 12-11-2013
  • OptimusPube 12 Nov 2013 22:39:58 3,078 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Dressing at this time of year always gets to be a bit of a nightmare. I hate trying to get it right and I almost always underestimate it (and nearly freeze to death on the side of a random Welsh hill).
    For me it's a nightmare as I sweat a hell of a lot, even tonight I was sweating in just my normal roadie cycling gear but my legs were freezing, I had the sense to wear winter gloves though, it takes me around 5 minutes to get warmed up by cycling really hard, I did have a moment of oh shit what if I get a puncture (I do have the gear in case of emergency) I'll freeze to fucking death, I'll remember to take a hoodie, trackie bottoms and coat with me in my back pack next time, I'm still learning.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• Psychotext 13 Nov 2013 00:13:58 54,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just bought my season ticket for the Wiggle MTB events next year. Should help to keep me entertained. :)
  • andytheadequate 13 Nov 2013 00:43:22 8,224 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What events are they? Might take a look
  • Psychotext 13 Nov 2013 03:48:24 54,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/category/mtb
  • mal 13 Nov 2013 04:08:03 22,608 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Christ not changed an inner tube on a road bike in 20 years, could not figure out how to stop trapping the tube where the valve is for the life of me, kept ballooning where the valve is, finally figured out that you don't put the valve secure screw on and use a bit of fairy liquid to slip it in the tyre by pushing the valve in, most probs didn't need the bit of fairy liquid lube but thought it helped.
    I always put the valve side in first when reassembling the tyre. Last out, first in. Always worked for me.

Never had a problem with the cold when fixing a puncure/replacing an inner. Far worse when it's pissing it down, and you're trying to keep the outside of the inner as dry as possible.

• elstoof 13 Nov 2013 09:02:10 7,519 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The reinforced bit of tube around the valve does have a habit of stopping the tyre bead keying in to the rim, as you figured out by the sounds of it Optimus. Pushing the valve inside the tyre so you can get the bead around the narrower valve stem is the trick, and throw that screw on ring thing away, you don't need it, or the dust cap.
  • fgfghi5879 13 Nov 2013 09:03:55 2 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Cheap Ralph Lauren is a noble movement, the participants often wear knitting short-sleeved sports which are derived from tennis clothing.Ralph Lauren Outlet, making this kind of sportswear evolved into mass, this is his achievements.Ralph Lauren Polo shirt is the successful masterpiece of modern fashionable clothing.
    Polo shirt on sale store is the best place to spot cheap Polo shirt, discount Polo Ralph Lauren. As a matter of fact, Ralph Lauren polo is famous for men and women Ralph Lauren polo, for their fashion styles and high quality.
  • mal 13 Nov 2013 09:13:32 22,608 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I quite like the screw on ring when reassembling tyres in controlled circumstances. Once I've got the tyre mostly fitted, with just the last bead to lever in, I tuck the first bit of bead over where the valve is then push the valve in and then out of the hole to ensure it's not caught by anything, then put the screw on ring on to hole to valve in place and help keep the bead in place. It also helps stop the inner twisting the valve as I install the rest of the tyre.

But I'll admit I curse leaving it on every time I have to fix a puncture on the road.

• urban 13 Nov 2013 10:17:39 10,945 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FUUUUCK ME WAS IT COLD THIS MORNING
  • elstoof 13 Nov 2013 10:28:29 7,519 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bit chilly, still no problems with a base layer and winter training jacket but it's nearly time for a mid layer for sure. Did wish for my overshoes after an hour though, my toes went a bit numb.
  • TarickStonefire 13 Nov 2013 10:34:51 3,133 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Got a puncture on a tyre a few months ago, took it to Cycle Surgery, £15 for a new inner tube and the labour to fit it there and then, seemed great value to me. Got another puncture this weekend (massive shard of bottle glass, dammit) so another £15, which again seems worth it but they said, buy a puncture repair kit and take this old tube home and repair it and then you've got a spare you can fit yourself next time.

I had a look at what that involved and I think I'd rather pay the £15. Am I being daft, is repairing and fitting an inner tube really easy? Easier than completely recalibrating all my gears and brakes which I've done before? It's just all that faffing with a tyre removal tool and trying not to get the inner tube caught on the rim so it tears again, all looks very fiddly.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• mal 13 Nov 2013 11:29:03 22,608 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I completely fucked my gears when I tried to fiddle with them myself. Repaired and fitted plenty of inners in my time though. Piece of piss really.

• Page

of 360 First / Last