The cycling thread Page 270

• Page

of 356 First / Last

• Psychotext 20 Oct 2013 22:08:38 54,217 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In fairness, the pressure map looks pretty damn compelling. I'd at least like to give one a go, especially as usually after about three hours my cock feels like it's fallen off (completely numb).
  • elstoof 21 Oct 2013 07:50:50 7,372 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The map looks a bit misleading to me, like they only show the pressure readings from the hollow section.
  • Jeepers 21 Oct 2013 09:09:13 13,181 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This should be called "The cycling".

Fucking anarchy in here.
  • elstoof 21 Oct 2013 09:21:34 7,372 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was changed to this from Biking It To Work during the last revolution.
  • Benno 21 Oct 2013 09:24:24 9,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember back when it was called 'pushbike frolicks' in the 2nd age of EG
  • Psychotext 21 Oct 2013 09:51:53 54,217 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Odd ride yesterday. My cycling partner was utterly fucking useless and couldn't seem to maintain anything over 7mph (mostly flat, hardpack ground).

Had to abandon in the end as I had a meeting to get to and there was no way we were going to get back in time.
  • MikeP 21 Oct 2013 12:08:07 1,868 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That is odd. That's barely faster than walking. You hadn't jammed their brakes on or anything had you? ;-)

Making some decent progress on the frame. Hopefully this Friday I'll have the chainstays and (maybe) the seatstays on.

Check out that fillet, madam.

Edited by MikeP at 12:12:21 21-10-2013

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Punctum 21 Oct 2013 12:10:45 936 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    This should be called "The cycling".

Fucking anarchy in here.
    :)
  • Psychotext 21 Oct 2013 12:18:00 54,217 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    That is odd. That's barely faster than walking. You hadn't jammed their brakes on or anything had you? ;-)
    I actually checked that his wheels were spinning freely and put a bit more pressure in one of his tyres.

Nice job on that frame btw. :)
  • caligari 21 Oct 2013 12:39:32 17,057 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    It was changed to this from Biking It To Work during the last revolution.
    Why is it that I feel as though I have to sign up for my work's 'Cycle To Work' scheme every time it re-opens? It's an illness, I tell ya!
  • Psychotext 23 Oct 2013 12:16:47 54,217 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Slept on the sofa last night in the hope of finally starting my rib healing. Seems to have done the job. Every morning since damaging it I've woken up in agony (I guess because I move it by sleeping on my front) but today I wasn't in any pain when I woke up.

Hopefully a few more nights of that and it'll be on the mend and I can get back to normal.
  • Psychotext 23 Oct 2013 16:09:53 54,217 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I need to practice this:

Not for racing or anything, but I've always been annoyed at how long it takes me to change a tube.
  • OptimusPube 24 Oct 2013 00:16:56 3,031 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Had three punctures in three fucking weeks so I've reserved a couple of Gator Skins at Halfords, just short of 40 quid but they're meant to be bullet proof by all accounts.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• elstoof 24 Oct 2013 00:33:35 7,372 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stock tyres are alway pony, gator skins should be better. They're a typical German tank of a hard ride though, can be a bit sketchy in the wet too so be careful.
  • Deleted user 24 October 2013 00:44:27
    yeah I find them a bit sketchy cornering in the wet

what are better alternatives? GP4000s?
  • Psychotext 24 Oct 2013 01:15:58 54,217 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Funnily enough, it just took me about 15 minutes of swearing and damaged fingers to get a trainer tyre onto my mountain bike rim. Fuckers.

Pissed off about that too. My old trainer started leaking oil, and although they sent me a replacement (awesome), the unit they've sent me seems to be fucked... it's really noisy whereas the old one was quiet, and it's not even close to being the same resistance. With the old one I could full on stamp on the pedals in the bike's top gear, but with this it was like going for a leisurely ride around the park.

Bollocks. :(
  • caligari 24 Oct 2013 02:14:40 17,057 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Had three punctures in three fucking weeks so I've reserved a couple of Gator Skins at Halfords, just short of 40 quid but they're meant to be bullet proof by all accounts.
    They're great - I have read (as mentioned above) that they can be a bit slippy in the wet, but I never had any major problems.

The sidewalls can be a little weak, but then that seems to be the case with most tyres.

I've picked up some Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres for fun.
  • caligari 24 Oct 2013 02:25:14 17,057 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Funnily enough, it just took me about 15 minutes of swearing and damaged fingers to get a trainer tyre onto my mountain bike rim. Fuckers.

Pissed off about that too. My old trainer started leaking oil, and although they sent me a replacement (awesome), the unit they've sent me seems to be fucked... it's really noisy whereas the old one was quiet, and it's not even close to being the same resistance. With the old one I could full on stamp on the pedals in the bike's top gear, but with this it was like going for a leisurely ride around the park.

Bollocks. :(
    I feel your pain, man! I'm horrendously useless at getting tyres back on after fixing punctures - especially if they're Marathon Plus/Gatorskin-esque babies.

I've had to fix a puncture twice today (should have looked closer for the shrapnel still stuck in the tyre after the first one) - I don't even have puncture-proof/tougher tyres on this particular bike, but I STILL can't get the thing back on without using levers. At least the levers are plastic, so I'm not completely mangling the rim/innter tube in the process...at least I hope not.

This will probably get shot down, but I find that cable ties can really help when it comes to refitting awkward tyres. Three of four will hold things in place - then just cut them off once you've got everything back where it should be! It's definitely helped to speed things up - in that I now take twenty minutes rather than half a day.

Edited by caligari at 02:28:27 24-10-2013
  • Psychotext 24 Oct 2013 02:50:52 54,217 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice. Would certainly help stop the rage when you move to a different part of the tyre and it pops somewhere else. :D
  • mal 24 Oct 2013 04:29:37 22,566 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've said it before, but I swear by Conti Supersport plus tyres myself. Same or similar puncture protection to Gatorskins and more robust sidewalls. I dare say they're a little heavier than Gatorskins, but the gatorskins I tried I had to throw away after I got my first puncture in them - sidewalls had just fallen apart. Not had a problem in the wet, and I've cycled these through low cloud before.

You'll also not get a pair for 40 quid. About 55 quid in most places. But I swear by them.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• OptimusPube 24 Oct 2013 05:31:40 3,031 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I was taught how to change a tyre and fix punctures when I was just a wee boy by my old man, it was the only thing he was ever good for, can fix punctures change tyres in a flash.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• elstoof 24 Oct 2013 08:32:29 7,372 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rubino Pro I've found to be pretty damn durable caligari, plus they're cheap. Again, they can be a bit loose in the rain compared to plusher tyres.

Ultimate winter tyres for me have to be Pavés, strong, grippy and comparatively lightweight. Plus they're green, like the Hulk, and that can only be a good thing. Saying all that but I generally ride on Corsa's all year round because I don't seem to get all that many punctures on them even though they're too of the line racing tyres.
  • Benno 24 Oct 2013 08:35:26 9,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So things I should always carry with me on a long bike ride (or short even).

- those tyre levers
    - puncture repair kit
    - small handpump?

Things I should do before I next go on bike ride:

- learn how to fix a tire on youtube

Will a small handpump get me to 120 psi? :S
  • Benno 24 Oct 2013 08:35:54 9,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ps. should i bring anything else? my mobile and some spare change I guess
  • elstoof 24 Oct 2013 08:46:34 7,372 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A mini pump will get you to 120 in theory but you'll be bored long before that. Luckily you don't really need to get the far, I typically pump enough to get me where I need to go ie - if I know there's a shop with a pump nearby I'll put in 50 strokes and gingerly pedal my way there, or if I need to cycle another 50 miles to civilisation I'll get as much in as I can. I generally count to 100 strokes of my pump, seems to get me to about ~80psi. 160 strokes gets me to about ~110psi.

Don't forget to take some food with you too, flapjacks, fig rolls, banana etc.
  • elstoof 24 Oct 2013 08:47:57 7,372 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe a multitool is a good idea but I never take one.
  • DaM 24 Oct 2013 09:57:44 13,226 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A multitool is a definite for me, along with a tube, sticky patches, and pump. I normally have £20 in my minitool pouch for emergencies. And lucozade because I'm diabetic, which is a pain in the arse to fit anywhere.
  • MikeP 24 Oct 2013 10:05:15 1,868 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Continental GP 4 Seasons are my general recommendation. Good grip, good wear, puncture resistance is very respectable and they feel quite nice to ride.

The only downside is they are a bit pricy, but normally Wiggle or the like have them on discount.

I've only had 2 punctures on them in a few thousand miles. This was the second one.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Bi50N Global Brand Manager, Deep Silver 24 Oct 2013 10:44:39 297 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Benno

My short ride 'essentials' checklist would be:

- Tyre levers, patches, mini hand pump (and no, a mini hand pump will not get you much past 80, it's a stop-gap measure) and a multi-tool (allen keys). So I can fix most things and get home fine.
    - Phone, £10, Oyster card, debit card. So if I can't fix it, I have options.

For a longer ride I would take a spare tube and a C02 cannister, some snacks, a water bottle (or two), and think more carefully about clothing

http://twitter.com/Bi50N

• Page

of 356 First / Last