• andytheadequate 10 Oct 2013 12:02:57 8,083 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Ok, call me a real cycling geek, but I love this as an idea

Kickstarter Here

Sadly as usual it's stupidly expensive for the UK / Europe. :(
    This is a bit weird...

My mum basically does this already on the not on the high street website. She sews outlines of maps onto cushions and canvasses, but has also done things like the outline of the Isle of Man TT race and the Tour de France.
  • Psychotext 10 Oct 2013 12:04:48 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Suddenly I'm envisaging cross stitch maps. :D
  • Psychotext 10 Oct 2013 15:51:11 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Srsbzness

• MikeP 10 Oct 2013 21:16:28 1,771 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No smiling, you're participating in a cycling event.
  • Psychotext 10 Oct 2013 21:36:52 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If I had more time I'd find that miserable arsehole I kept meeting. Should have written down his rider number. :D

Also, I just asked on facebook about the numbers (I wanted to know how many started / switched)...

644 starters and yes quite a few switched from the long to the short route at the split point on the day. Most of our routes are a bit back loaded with challenges but we reckon that just makes the beer / glass of vino at the end of the day taste sooooo much better
  • andytheadequate 10 Oct 2013 21:45:03 8,083 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    No smiling, you're participating in a cycling event.
    At least he is showing road cyclists what respectable riding clothes are though :)
  • MikeP 10 Oct 2013 21:48:10 1,771 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    If I had more time I'd find that miserable arsehole I kept meeting. Should have written down his rider number. :D

Also, I just asked on facebook about the numbers (I wanted to know how many started / switched)...

644 starters and yes quite a few switched from the long to the short route at the split point on the day. Most of our routes are a bit back loaded with challenges but we reckon that just makes the beer / glass of vino at the end of the day taste sooooo much better
    Heh. I was 246, but the stealth seatpost fixing meant I avoided getting snapped.
  • Psychotext 10 Oct 2013 21:55:08 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I notice that they didn't bother with an "unidentifiable" section. Which is a shame.
  • Psychotext 11 Oct 2013 13:57:54 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh god, the feed zone portables book arrived and everything in it IS SO GOOD. I might have to cycle just so I can eat them.
  • MikeP 11 Oct 2013 20:41:05 1,771 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I notice that they didn't bother with an "unidentifiable" section. Which is a shame.
    Yeah, bit weird that - most of the time they do.
  • MikeP 11 Oct 2013 20:41:06 1,771 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • OptimusPube 12 Oct 2013 08:16:22 2,910 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This is so cool, a HUD for your bike.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• Megapocalypse 13 Oct 2013 13:21:24 5,325 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well that was stupid weather for a sportive. Who organised that!? :p

Box Hill Original -Short (44m) complete. Despite signing up for the standard route at 80 miles, I'm not regretting taking the turn off for the short route. Have come down with an awful cold for the last few days and if I had been sensible I'd have stayed at home this morning.

Annoyingly, I think I've missed out on a silver timing by about 2 minutes. My strava shows me 2 minutes inside it, but I stopped for a few minutes for flapjacks. :(

Edited by Megapocalypse at 13:23:35 13-10-2013
  • Psychotext 13 Oct 2013 13:36:35 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gutted. Nicely done all the same though.
  • MikeP 13 Oct 2013 18:57:31 1,771 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good on you for getting out in this weather. Congrats for making it round. :)
  • Megapocalypse 13 Oct 2013 20:06:49 5,325 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers guys. Just had the email confirming I did indeed miss the silver by 2 minutes.
  • Psychotext 14 Oct 2013 01:19:40 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bollocks. The epic version of the Wiggle fallen leaves route has sold out. Only just sorted a B&B and now there's really no point in going. :(
  • Megapocalypse 14 Oct 2013 06:38:46 5,325 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

Edited by Megapocalypse at 06:39:21 14-10-2013
  • OptimusPube 14 Oct 2013 06:45:50 2,910 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've been a proper lazy bastard this weekend just gone, didn't go out at all I was too busy twatting about in Los Santos.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• Megapocalypse 14 Oct 2013 06:46:58 5,325 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wish I hadn't gone out. This time yesterday I had a cold. Now I think I'm dying.

/sniff

Edited by Megapocalypse at 06:47:09 14-10-2013
  • Dougs 14 Oct 2013 08:18:21 66,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's rarely a good idea to go out with a cold, let alone do a route like that! Well done all the same though.
  • pistol 14 Oct 2013 10:56:12 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    hi cyclists!

what would be a good budget for a beginner road bike? I say beginner, I want to do some longer triathlons like the half ironman so it needs to be up to the job for longer distances. I could stretch to about £700 next month, reckon that would net me something suitable?

I plan on going into a couple of local cycle shops to see what they can put together for me, I just wanted to know in advance if that sort of budget will net me something useful for long distances (60 miles plus).
    £700 will get you a decent entry level road bike no problem and if you haven't any bike shops near you (a lot will push certain brands), then google road bike for under a grand or take a look in cycling magazines. There are always articles about entry level bikes. £1000 used to be the magic number but there have been many cheaper models released too.

Key is to get the right size frame. The shop should then help you fine tune the fitting by adjusting your seat and/or stem.

A well fitted £700 bike will ride much better than a poorly fitted £3,000 model.
  • pistol 14 Oct 2013 10:57:33 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Just picked up my bike from the LBS. New fork and headset fitted, got the wheels trued too. Don't know why, but they put one of the spacers on top of my stem rather than under it... but that's easy enough to sort.

Might actually leave it that way for the weekend to see how it feels.
    Lots of riders have the spacers on top of the stem.
  • Benno 14 Oct 2013 11:01:44 9,796 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks Pistol!

I bought my bike last week. I went for a Felt Z85 off Ebay. I am 6"6" so I got the highest frame they do (61cm), as that is touted for 6"3"-6"5".

I cost me about £600.

I've had a few cheeky 5 mile rides on it, and I love it!

I have just bought some proper road cycling shoes to go with the clipless pedals the bike came with. Its a bit nerveracking to be honest! I dont have a problem unclipping, its just clipping back in when setting off that I have a problem with. I feel a bit stupid setting off from a junction and spending 30 seconds fucking around trying to clip my foot in the peddle!

Theres obviously a knack to it, do you guys have any tips?
  • pistol 14 Oct 2013 11:04:26 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Feel like this is a stupid question but how do you guys clean your bikes when they are all cruddy from riding in the wet, my brand new bike is looking sorry for itself after a rainy session, how do you get into the tight spots, I don't want to have to disassemble if at all possible?

It's a road bike BTW.
    I'm a roadie most of the time although occasionally use MTB with the kids. Ride in all weathers but bike doesn't tend to get too caked in mud. If the ride has been wet I'll stick it on a work-stand straight after the ride and jet-wash lightly to get rid of most of the much, then degrease with Fenwicks FS-1 bike cleaner. Everything ends up spotless and I'll finish by lubing chain and done.
  • Dougs 14 Oct 2013 11:06:50 66,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Christ, I barely have time to ride the thing, let alone lavish such care and attention! Although I suspect I would find time if I had something more than an entry-level (ish) hybrid!
  • pistol 14 Oct 2013 11:11:46 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Christ, I barely have time to ride the thing, let alone lavish such care and attention! Although I suspect I would find time if I had something more than an entry-level (ish) hybrid!
    I have 2 road bikes and a MTB.

2 Cube's and a Giant.

Edited by pistol at 11:12:54 14-10-2013
  • Psychotext 14 Oct 2013 11:39:13 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I only tend to degrease occasionally. Bikes always get a thorough wash after every ride when they're muddy though.

Edited by Psychotext at 11:39:27 14-10-2013
  • caligari 14 Oct 2013 11:53:19 16,999 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    Thanks Pistol!

I bought my bike last week. I went for a Felt Z85 off Ebay. I am 6"6" so I got the highest frame they do (61cm), as that is touted for 6"3"-6"5".

I cost me about £600.

I've had a few cheeky 5 mile rides on it, and I love it!

I have just bought some proper road cycling shoes to go with the clipless pedals the bike came with. Its a bit nerveracking to be honest! I dont have a problem unclipping, its just clipping back in when setting off that I have a problem with. I feel a bit stupid setting off from a junction and spending 30 seconds fucking around trying to clip my foot in the peddle!

Theres obviously a knack to it, do you guys have any tips?
    Lovely bike - congrats!

As for the pedals, it's probably the coward's option BUT I'd perhaps get a local bike shop to check over the set-up for the cleats/pedals, just to make sure that they're not overly worn.

It'll probably just be that clip-in tension needs to be tweaked to make it slightly easier for you - it's usually a good idea to have the tension set to its lowest when you're just starting out. Have you tried Googling your particular model online to see how this is done?

As for tips, I'd simply say carry on with what you're doing - it'll become second nature after a few weeks. I've been riding standard flat pedals for a while now and I still find myself performing the clip-in/clip-out routine at traffic lights.

Unfortunately you probably will have an embarrassing 'slow motion' fall whilst trying to clip-in/out at some point - and, naturally, it will be in front of hundreds of amused onlookers.
  • Dougs 14 Oct 2013 11:55:09 66,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Absolutely. It's like a rite of passage
  • Page

of 343 First / Last