The cycling thread Page 265

• Page

of 359 First / Last

• MikeP 4 Oct 2013 19:39:44 1,880 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, but it's a bit more favourable than this morning. BBC currently has it as dry in the afternoon now.

Mind you it is the Lake district. It could do anything.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• OptimusPube 4 Oct 2013 20:28:36 3,071 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• OptimusPube 4 Oct 2013 20:36:53 3,071 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Feel like this is a stupid question but how do you guys clean your bikes when they are all cruddy from riding in the wet, my brand new bike is looking sorry for itself after a rainy session, how do you get into the tight spots, I don't want to have to disassemble if at all possible?

It's a road bike BTW.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• andytheadequate 4 Oct 2013 20:40:15 8,213 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    An old toothbrush?
  • MikeP 4 Oct 2013 20:42:51 1,880 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If I'm doing a really thorough clean, I dab on degreaser into the chain and cassette with an old, smallish paintbrush. Let that sit for a few mins, then spray the bike with water, get really soapy water and apply with a sponge, and just clean & rinse.

After a few minutes I tend to crank the chain over to spin the water out, let it air dry then lube it.

• OptimusPube 4 Oct 2013 20:58:26 3,071 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    All the big names in your local bike shop will have broadly equivalent spec of bikes for any given price point, the only differences will be how it fits you physically.

If you want to go under budget, if you aren't sure if you will stick with it or whatever, you could do a lot worse than a Carrera TdF from Halfords or a B'Twin Triban 3 from Decathlon, both of them are £300 or so and make great first bikes, then if you decide to upgrade they make great winter trainers too.
    I've been off for a while because my modem died, The Carrera TDF is the bike I bought and for me it's a dream, you hardly have to put any effort in it it practically rides itself. I can second the sentiments on here though with their mechanics, when I got mine home the reflectors and bell where loose and the handlebars were just slightly out but other than that it's great, I took the reflectors and nylon straps off the pedals though because they're a nuisance.

It's a great looking bike and for an entry bike you can't go far wrong for the money, you say your budget is £700 but don't forget other gear like a GPS or computer for your bike then there's the clothing, lights, helmet, spares such as inner tubes and the means to get the tyres off is worst comes to worst, bottle, bottle holder, lock if needed, saddle bag for spares. It all adds up.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• andytheadequate 4 Oct 2013 22:26:52 8,213 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Biking is a very expensive hobby. At least road cycling saves money in petrol, but mountain biking doesn't even do that. There's always a new gadget you feel the need to buy...
  • TheBlackDog 5 Oct 2013 16:18:16 395 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Feel like this is a stupid question but how do you guys clean your bikes when they are all cruddy from riding in the wet, my brand new bike is looking sorry for itself after a rainy session, how do you get into the tight spots, I don't want to have to disassemble if at all possible?

It's a road bike BTW.
    Hah ! You'll be glad you aren't in to mountain biking yet then.

Sorry - not having a go at you - just pissed off with mud :evil: ! In an attempt to get out regularly, I know its inevitable that your going to get a bit dirty. Maybe I'm just a shit rider but I can't seem to avoid mud, I'm like a mud magnet. I'm always thinking I'll stay out of the forests, especially where they've been logging and dragging wood out with those massive lorries.

Then, it happens. I see a nice looking path, wide, stony and climbing up through the forest. Why does it always turn in to a mud bath about 2 kms later, when you've turned a corned, descending down the other side ? Like I said, maybe I could ride better but it always seems impossible to find a way around the mud.

I don't mind getting dirty really (even put seal skin socks on today as I knew it was one of those days). But I was caked in the stuff all over me, all over the bike, all over my bloody bottle for christ sake !

You roadies - you don't know the first thing about mud ! In fact, I'd genuinely love to laugh at your pics of your muddy road bikes. Seriously.

/grumpy. Muddy ride, and I got lost.
  • elstoof 5 Oct 2013 16:55:42 7,496 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If your road bike gets caked in mud then you've got things a bit wrong, but they get plenty dirty - just like a car does. There's enough grot on the roads flicked up by your tyres all over your gear to get you looking pretty damn filthy without a bit of regular cleaning.
  • Razz 5 Oct 2013 20:38:51 61,263 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lovely little documentary on cycling in Copenhagen

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• OptimusPube 5 Oct 2013 20:48:53 3,071 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    If your road bike gets caked in mud then you've got things a bit wrong, but they get plenty dirty - just like a car does. There's enough grot on the roads flicked up by your tyres all over your gear to get you looking pretty damn filthy without a bit of regular cleaning.
    It wasn't caked but it was mucky, like the pebble dashes of mud you get on your back but all over the bike, I do venture off track on it but very little, I've only had it a few weeks and it was my first venture out on it in the wet.

I do venture off road on my old mountain bike and it gets proper caked but it is on its last legs so really don't give a shit about it, road biking and the speeds are the way forward for me.

/lycra fetish ;)

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• Deleted user 5 October 2013 20:52:10
    off to majorca tomorrow

planning to ride sa calobra, puig major and any other climb that looks half-dece

yass
  • andytheadequate 5 Oct 2013 21:00:16 8,213 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    22 mile mountain bike ride for me with Leeds Mountain Bike club. Can't recommend joining a club enough, found some great new routes today.

Going over the handle bars wasn't fun though...
  • Syrette 5 Oct 2013 21:02:03 43,587 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cozeny wrote:
    half-dece
    No.

• Deleted user 5 October 2013 21:10:14
    ya rly

ur a cyclist now? kewl
  • Deleted user 5 October 2013 21:10:14
    Post deleted
  • Trafford 6 Oct 2013 08:48:52 5,807 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good luck today chaps!
  • elstoof 6 Oct 2013 08:56:31 7,496 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good luck indeed! Try to get finished before noon, more rain forecast :D
  • OptimusPube 6 Oct 2013 20:45:04 3,071 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Never mind.

Edited by OptimusPube at 20:49:55 06-10-2013

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• elstoof 6 Oct 2013 20:47:58 7,496 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    British cycling website have a club search which should put you in the right direction.
  • OptimusPube 6 Oct 2013 20:51:01 3,071 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah I just had another quick look, I need insurance first.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• elstoof 6 Oct 2013 20:53:46 7,496 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not to join a club generally, but just sign up to a BC bronze membership (free to first time applications) and you'll have 3rd party cover with that.
  • elstoof 6 Oct 2013 20:56:18 7,496 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As a general rule, any club is happy for you to turn up to their Sunday run a few times and see if you like it or not before you put any club membership money down, subs tend to be about 20 to quid a year or so.

Edited by elstoof at 20:57:08 06-10-2013
  • OptimusPube 6 Oct 2013 20:57:02 3,071 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I just had a quick look and for bike and liability it's only £35 for the year, that's valuing my bike at £500 as well even though I only paid £250 for it in a sale.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• elstoof 6 Oct 2013 20:58:29 7,496 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get a quote from your home contents insurer too, they tend to be the best value when you just tack it onto your policy.
  • Psychotext 7 Oct 2013 21:39:22 54,296 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MikeP left me for the wolves in the forests of Winlatter. It was all I could do to brave the wind and rain and return alive. :(

These CX riders are not to be trusted. They're like the worst parts of roadies and mountain bikers.
  • elstoof 7 Oct 2013 21:43:52 7,496 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hah! Just made it back then? ;)

How was it? Weather looked pretty suspect in the forecast.
  • MikeP 7 Oct 2013 22:17:29 1,880 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can report that @psychotext and I both completed the full Lakeland Monster miles.

The first couple of hours featured smashing weather, then it proper belted it down and was quite windy at times (I saw one guy blown off the course, but he was OK).

The final section after the second feed stop was uphill for about 10 miles, including a pretty difficult climb through Whinlatter forest. The 2-mile descent was amazing.

Massive props to PT, who rode it with a cracked rib. Very nice to meet up with someone from EG too!

62 miles, 7,500ft of climbing. Lots of weather. A grand adventure.

Here's the pair of us at the finish line, with a spot of ludicrous Rapha-esque post-production, courtesy of my missus.

• MikeP 7 Oct 2013 22:18:48 1,880 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    MikeP left me for the wolves in the forests of Winlatter. It was all I could do to brave the wind and rain and return alive. :(

These CX riders are not to be trusted. They're like the worst parts of roadies and mountain bikers.
    I told you. CX riders are perverts. Definitely not to be trusted. :D

Edited by MikeP at 22:19:10 07-10-2013

• Psychotext 7 Oct 2013 22:31:32 54,296 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was good of you to pick the flattering pic... lol. :D
  • Page

of 359 First / Last