The cycling thread Page 263

• Page

of 343 First / Last

• Psychotext 1 Oct 2013 16:28:11 53,855 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Evans is pretty good in my experience. I've not heard any good things about Halfords's bike people though. Nothing wrong with a lot of the bikes they sell, but I wouldn't trust their people to work on them.
  • Megapocalypse 1 Oct 2013 16:32:43 5,328 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Evans is like Game. They will sell good stuff but the staff can be complete mongtards.

I should add though that I bought my bike from Evans and have no complaints.

Edited by Megapocalypse at 16:33:24 01-10-2013
  • Psychotext 1 Oct 2013 16:35:28 53,855 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As always with these things I think your mileage can vary... a lot.

I'm always hearing about the wonders and skill of the "local bike shop", but it took me trying 6 different ones near me before I found one that wasn't shit.
  • Benno 1 Oct 2013 16:39:48 9,804 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers boys, I'll try the local indie place first then, but i'll shop around.

How cheap could I get away with spending do you reckon? I notice some road bikes going for 3-400 quid. Can these realistically stand the rigor of hundreds of miles or are they a false economy? I just know with any purchase like this (where there's such a wide range of prices) there's that little sweet spot price where the additional quality is cost-effective, but spending any more will lead to pretty big diminishing returns. Just trying to get a gauge on what price that is...

Edited by Benno at 16:40:04 01-10-2013
  • Psychotext 1 Oct 2013 17:01:51 53,855 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have a browse through some bike mags at your local whsmith / supermarket. A bunch of them will have recommended starter bikes listed in them.

For instance: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-carrera-tdf-ltd-road-bike-11-44902

Edited by Psychotext at 17:07:17 01-10-2013
  • elstoof 1 Oct 2013 17:04:21 6,677 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
  • Benno 1 Oct 2013 17:05:26 9,804 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah good call!
  • elstoof 1 Oct 2013 17:05:45 6,677 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The CAAD8 would be my choice from that lineup.

In fact I'm gonna just straight up recommend you test ride a CAAD8, they're lovely frames.

The only thing more money buys you on a road bike is less weight in most cases.

Edited by elstoof at 17:10:15 01-10-2013
  • elstoof 1 Oct 2013 17:20:30 6,677 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know people who choose to race on CAAD frames rather than their carbon fibre dream bikes because

A) they're light enough and stiff, you can get them down to the UCI limit with the right wheels and groupset.

B) they're comfortable.

C) they can survive battle scars that would write off a 4k carbon frame.

D) smashing your 4k baby hurts when you aren't a pro riding a free bike.
  • MikeP 1 Oct 2013 17:42:55 1,773 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is all very sound advice. Cannondale make lovely bikes. The frame and fork are the heart and soul of what you ride. You can always improve things like wheels etc over time.

If you have a knowledgeable friend then the second-hand market can be very good around your price range. Lots of people on the upgrade path from your price range.
  • MikeP 1 Oct 2013 17:44:17 1,773 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And the Boardman bikes are exceptionally good value. You are dealing with Halfords as a result, but you can always get the bike checked over post-delivery.

Whereabouts do you live?
  • MikeP 1 Oct 2013 17:46:37 1,773 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also, I would say the breakpoint for road bikes in terms of diminishing returns really starts to bite at around 1,500. You can get some frankly amazing bikes around that price point.
  • Deleted user 1 October 2013 17:59:53
    maybe look at a triban 3? It's 5-700 worth of bike for 300

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/bikes/129441/2/bike-test-do-you-get-what-you-pay-for.html

^this year's edition has been upgraded w/the 2013 sora shifters; iirc the entry-level CAAD 8 comes with shimano 2300 shifters which are crud

Edited by cozeny at 18:02:57 01-10-2013

Edited by cozeny at 18:03:13 01-10-2013
  • Benno 1 Oct 2013 23:38:43 9,804 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    And the Boardman bikes are exceptionally good value. You are dealing with Halfords as a result, but you can always get the bike checked over post-delivery.

Whereabouts do you live?
    I live in York, so I have an Evans, Halfords and a couple of indie shops. I saw the Boardman Team get a really good writeup, but cant find it for sale
  • Benno 1 Oct 2013 23:45:36 9,804 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cozeny wrote:
    maybe look at a triban 3? It's 5-700 worth of bike for 300

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/bikes/129441/2/bike-test-do-you-get-what-you-pay-for.html

^this year's edition has been upgraded w/the 2013 sora shifters; iirc the entry-level CAAD 8 comes with shimano 2300 shifters which are crud

Edited by cozeny at 18:02:57 01-10-2013
    Thanks for the link, looks like a really good deal!
  • andytheadequate 1 Oct 2013 23:52:29 8,085 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anybody been here before?
    http://www.nationalcyclingcentre.com/

Boardman bikes get good reviews but they are out of stock in a lot of Halford stores

Edited by andytheadequate at 23:52:57 01-10-2013
  • Psychotext 2 Oct 2013 02:53:52 53,855 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trying to find a few light trails in the Lake District for Saturday. There's an astonishing amount of choice, but I have no idea what's good and what's not.

Think it will end up being a case of throwing them in a hat and going that way.
  • mal 2 Oct 2013 03:07:45 22,341 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You're not healed up yet are you? Blimey, my last off was over a month ago and I'm still not fully patched up yet.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Psychotext 2 Oct 2013 03:32:17 53,855 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, I'm doing the Lakeland Monster Miles on Sunday even if I have to do it drugged. The way I see it, as long as I don't have another off, I wont really be making it much worse. Did an hour on the trainer today after taking some co-codamol. Was painful, but manageable. Not sure how I'm going to drink though as only having one hand on the bar was very uncomfortable.

The ride on Saturday will be with the missus, who has a very delicate relationship with cycling at the moment. I need to find something that's mostly traffic free, not too long (~20 miles maybe) and doesn't have a crazy amount of hills.
  • Salaman 2 Oct 2013 07:48:59 18,890 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Not sure how I'm going to drink though as only having one hand on the bar was very uncomfortable.

Psychotext wrote:I need to find something that's mostly traffic free, not too long (~20 miles maybe) and doesn't have a crazy amount of hills.
    This is about right. And it has flowers!

Edited by Salaman at 07:51:19 02-10-2013
  • Carlo 2 Oct 2013 08:51:03 17,954 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Advice please!!!

My Wife is getting a 500 Halfords voucher from her brother for her birthday to buy a bike (he's getting it through his work or something!). She'll have to pick her own bike but she is unlikely to know which one to go for.

Anyone want to offer some advice? Obviously the considerations are the price range (500 but if she needs to add more to get 'the right one' I'm sure she will), has to be purchasable from Halfords (the voucher is for them only), um for a girl (or unisex maybe?) and good for road use.

She'll be using it for leisure, no off-road or weekend racing, but I think something lightweight ;)

PSN ID: Djini

• elstoof 2 Oct 2013 08:59:27 6,677 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Boardman bikes are generally the best value that Halfords will do, they also do Pendleton's range of women specific bikes but they're a bit over priced I think. There's probably a sale on too now the season is essentially over.
  • MikeP 2 Oct 2013 10:37:37 1,773 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Well, I'm doing the Lakeland Monster Miles on Sunday even if I have to do it drugged. The way I see it, as long as I don't have another off, I wont really be making it much worse. Did an hour on the trainer today after taking some co-codamol. Was painful, but manageable. Not sure how I'm going to drink though as only having one hand on the bar was very uncomfortable.

The ride on Saturday will be with the missus, who has a very delicate relationship with cycling at the moment. I need to find something that's mostly traffic free, not too long (~20 miles maybe) and doesn't have a crazy amount of hills.
    It's alright, I can SuperDomestique for you.

*Diverts to the cafe, stuffs bacon rolls into jersey*
  • Carlo 2 Oct 2013 10:39:12 17,954 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Boardman bikes are generally the best value that Halfords will do, they also do Pendleton's range of women specific bikes but they're a bit over priced I think. There's probably a sale on too now the season is essentially over.
    Thanks, I'll try and steer her in those directions!

PSN ID: Djini

• MikeP 2 Oct 2013 10:48:09 1,773 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    MikeP wrote:

Whereabouts do you live?
    I live in York, so I have an Evans, Halfords and a couple of indie shops. I saw the Boardman Team get a really good writeup, but cant find it for sale
    Cool - most indies will do a check for you for a fee. I know there are a couple of good places in York.
  • Trafford 2 Oct 2013 10:54:10 5,644 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Trying to find a few light trails in the Lake District for Saturday. There's an astonishing amount of choice, but I have no idea what's good and what's not.

Think it will end up being a case of throwing them in a hat and going that way.
    Altura Trail Centre is near by to Keswick.
  • MikeP 2 Oct 2013 10:55:14 1,773 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Thanks, I'll try and steer her in those directions!
    Road bikes are a good choice. Women are often steered in the direction of Hybrids, but ironically (massive generalisation inbound) I think that as women often have better flexibility and core control than men they actually are better placed for the typical road bike position.

Watch out for the "women's specific" road bikes. They are a bit of a con, IMO. Often the spec is lower for a particular price-point, and they very much go for the "shrink it and pink it" approach to design. I am yet to find a woman who genuinely likes that.
  • elstoof 2 Oct 2013 10:59:40 6,677 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I really don't get hybrids either. A compromise I'm not willing to take, if you'll be on the road, get a road bike. Drop bars give you several options for where to put your hands when a flat bar won't.
  • Salaman 2 Oct 2013 11:19:03 18,890 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If she's using it for leisure, i.e. a sunday stroll on the bike for 1 or 2 hours, not a weekly 3-4 hour bike ride, don't buy her a road bike.
    Buy her any type of lady's bike, whether it be hybrid, city bike or whathaveyou but make sure it has a nice and comfy upright seating position and a nice big soft saddle.

Leisure = leisure. Roadbikes = fitness/sports.

It sounds to me like your Mrs will be looking for this
    http://washford.scene7.com/is/image/Washford/551002?$PDP_MAIN$

Rather than this
    http://washford.scene7.com/is/image/Washford/227780?$PDP_MAIN$
  • elstoof 2 Oct 2013 11:42:11 6,677 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Too upright a riding position can be quite bad for your back, every bump and buzz from the road is getting transmitted straight up your spinal column. Leaning forward and putting weight on your hands lessens the load on your arse and let's your back absorb and shock within its natural range of motion.
  • Page

of 343 First / Last