The cycling thread Page 248

• Page

of 350 First / Last

• OptimusPube 5 Aug 2013 10:49:42 2,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Average 20mph+, god I wish I could get those speeds but my bike is a clunky old piece of shit, I'm lucky if I can get 15, wish I had money. :(

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• Psychotext 5 Aug 2013 11:23:52 53,982 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd generally be lucky to average 12mph on my mountain bike. Most trails average out to be about 6mph.
  • Zackv4861 5 Aug 2013 22:30:27 1,084 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @FWB cheers did that also changed the bit at the bottom under the bike that keeps the gear cables in line as the cables kept slipping off. Gears still iffy though. Anyone had a bike service?? Price???
  • Salaman 5 Aug 2013 22:53:55 18,959 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got back from a short weekend trip to visit friends in La Rochelle in France. I borrowed their bike on Sunday to go to a nearby island connected by a 3km bridge. With the little un (13-14kg) and a full backpack of beach stuff on the back of the bike and the bloody thing having fairly wide nobbly tyres, it was quite a ride (in balmy 30+ degree weather).

Fun though.

Coming back I saw some guy pedalling towards me coming the opposite way and from far away he looked like he was draped over his handle bars with folded arms the way a drunk man lies on a pub counter to sleep.
    It looked weird. Almost as if the handlebars were very high up. I though "he can't be up here on a penny farthing can he?" when he got closer, it turned out to be some sort of half heihgt mountain bike looking penny-farthing-alike. As he passed me he honked a horn attached to his handlebars which confused me even more.

I think it was something like this.
  • mcmothercruncher 6 Aug 2013 08:05:45 6,836 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You didn't sample any mushrooms perhaps on the island?
  • andytheadequate 6 Aug 2013 10:58:42 8,133 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Zackv4861 wrote:
    @FWB cheers did that also changed the bit at the bottom under the bike that keeps the gear cables in line as the cables kept slipping off. Gears still iffy though. Anyone had a bike service?? Price???
    A 'basic' service cost £40 at my local bike shop. If you've had a go yourself and it's still not right then I'd recommend it.

I have no idea what my average trail speed is, but I'm guessing around 5-6 mph too. Can feel bloody fast bombing down a bumpy hill though...
  • Psychotext 6 Aug 2013 11:20:03 53,982 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The down bits are usually pretty rapid, it's the technical ups that tend not to be.
  • MikeP 6 Aug 2013 12:22:32 1,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Props for the sub 5 hour time, that is a good effort. A guy in the club did just over 5 hours solo and he was pleased with that, he's a decent rider too. I'll put my name down next year I think, so if someone can give me a nudge on the day I'll appreciate it :D

I done a half Swaintoux this morning to compensate, 12 loops of Swains Lane. The guys on the building site halfway up gave a few howls of ridicule/encouragement after they saw me for the 6th time, can't say it helped block the pain much.
    Swaintoux. I was thinking of doing that last weekend. Maybe I'll have a go this weekend.

Need to get some hill reps in somewhere.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• elstoof 6 Aug 2013 12:36:52 7,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ever done the full 24 Mike? Swains isn't so bad when you get into a rhythm really, just gets a bit dull hitting the same small loop over and over with just Karl Marx for company.
  • MikeP 6 Aug 2013 15:12:24 1,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've done a half dozen, but never run the full thing. Like you say, you get into a rhythm and it's not too bad. I guess I'll see if I feel the same somewhere around lap 21 ;-)

• OptimusPube 6 Aug 2013 16:05:58 2,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've been doing some researching on entry level road bikes and have come up with the specialized allez compact, I like the styling of the bike plus it gets excellent reviews plus the carbon forks are a bonus, the only thing I'm umming about is it only has eight gears, will this matter and what sorts of speeds will I get with a flat road, backwind, will I be able to top 20mph because that's my goal?

The other bike is a Giant Defy 5 but I'm not keen on the chunky frame on road bikes, I was gonna go with a hybrid but after much thought road bikes look so much sleeker, plus I have my old bone shaker mountain bike for work and off road.

Forget that I read it wrong it's 16 speed, so what do you guys think?

Edited by OptimusPube at 16:12:16 06-08-2013

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• OptimusPube 6 Aug 2013 16:14:13 2,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thing of beauty, I think I may have already made my mind up. ;)

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• urban 6 Aug 2013 16:52:31 10,942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have you had a ride around on one? I find that's a better way to buy a bike, being that you never really look at it...
  • Megapocalypse 6 Aug 2013 16:58:29 5,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ooh. Planet-X have just released a new model of their RT-58 with Ultegra group set. I had been looking at the previous model and had just convinced myself I didn't need a new bike this year. Now I want one.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/imgs/products/900x650_constWH/CBPXRT58ULT_P1.jpg
  • OptimusPube 6 Aug 2013 17:03:13 2,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Not yet but I've ridden road bikes before years ago so I'm comfortable with them, but yes I will be road testing and not just jumping in blindly, after all it's a lot of money to me so will be a big investment, I'm just trying to narrow it down because there's literally hundreds out there, the main thing I'm looking for is weight, it has to be light as possible.

I've been in a few local shops today, including Halfordslol but the range seems limited, I can't believe the difference in weight with a bike that costs 250 compared to one that's costs 500, I'll keep looking though I just wanted some reliable names thrown around by the experts in here.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• OptimusPube 6 Aug 2013 17:10:21 2,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Quick question: if a shop doesn't have a bike you'd like to try how would you go about doing it, sorry I'm new to this?

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• Megapocalypse 6 Aug 2013 17:12:45 5,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If the shop doesn't have it but they do stock it they should be able to order one in for you. A place like Evans almost certainly will.
  • MikeP 6 Aug 2013 17:16:29 1,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    I've been doing some researching on entry level road bikes and have come up with the specialized allez compact, I like the styling of the bike plus it gets excellent reviews plus the carbon forks are a bonus, the only thing I'm umming about is it only has eight gears, will this matter and what sorts of speeds will I get with a flat road, backwind, will I be able to top 20mph because that's my goal?

The other bike is a Giant Defy 5 but I'm not keen on the chunky frame on road bikes, I was gonna go with a hybrid but after much thought road bikes look so much sleeker, plus I have my old bone shaker mountain bike for work and off road.

Forget that I read it wrong it's 16 speed, so what do you guys think?
    Specialized make very good bikes at competitive prices, and so long as you buy the right size you're not going to end up with a lemon. They are also well known for decent after-sales warranty support.

The highest gear on that bike is a 50-12, it's typical to aim for a sustainable cadence (pedal crank rotation) of 85-95 rpm on the flat.

According to this site http://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm that would get you up to 27-30 mph. Not that the average Joe or Joanne can sustain anything like that for long.

So yeah, it'll get you well North of 20, it's more about if you have the legs, lungs and heart for it!

• MikeP 6 Aug 2013 17:18:56 1,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Quick question: if a shop doesn't have a bike you'd like to try how would you go about doing it, sorry I'm new to this?
    If you went to a branch of Cycle Surgery or Evans they can order them in from the central warehouse.

Evans (although they have their faults, mainly due to some inexperienced staff) will get one to the store of your choice for a test ride, free of charge, within a few days if they have the stock.

• MikeP 6 Aug 2013 17:19:33 1,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you have a mate who's experienced then it's worth taking them along to help too.

• elstoof 6 Aug 2013 18:11:26 7,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Expect to pay a refundable deposit for getting a bike into the shop for a test ride, something like £50 if they have one in the warehouse or £250 if they need to get it from the distribution company.

Yeah, as Mike says the gearing on the Allez will be just fine. I had an Allez and ran compact cranks for a few years, there's plenty of options no matter the terrain. Your lowest option of 34x25 will get you up pretty much any hill and you'll only see 50x12 when you spin out coming down the other side.
  • elstoof 6 Aug 2013 18:15:43 7,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh yeah, they hold their value really well too, I got about 75% of what I paid for it back when I sold it! Remember, only ever sell a bike in the summer during the Tour ;)
  • andytheadequate 6 Aug 2013 21:19:30 8,133 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Not yet but I've ridden road bikes before years ago so I'm comfortable with them, but yes I will be road testing and not just jumping in blindly, after all it's a lot of money to me so will be a big investment, I'm just trying to narrow it down because there's literally hundreds out there, the main thing I'm looking for is weight, it has to be light as possible.

I've been in a few local shops today, including Halfordslol but the range seems limited, I can't believe the difference in weight with a bike that costs 250 compared to one that's costs 500, I'll keep looking though I just wanted some reliable names thrown around by the experts in here.
    Halfords exclusively sell Boardman bikes, which are very well thought of generally and excellent value, so don't write them off.
  • zisssou 6 Aug 2013 21:24:35 601 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bought a Sensa Romagna a couple of months back upgrading from a Giant Rapid hybrid and it's been a complete joy to ride. I would definitely recommend this if anyone is looking in the £700-£800 range.
  • MikeP 6 Aug 2013 22:18:52 1,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    OptimusPube wrote:

Halfords exclusively sell Boardman bikes, which are very well thought of generally and excellent value, so don't write them off.
    The Boardman bikes are very good value, and Chris Boardman is a proper bike nerd, in the very best sense of the word.

• andytheadequate 6 Aug 2013 22:43:29 8,133 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've been looking at the full suspension Boardman bikes, but it's almost impossible to find any in stock. Apparently the new models are on their way though.
  • Trafford 7 Aug 2013 08:32:47 5,739 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got my Salsa Fargo on ebay :( you can only ride one bike at a time, I need the cash and bikepacking is far from my mind at the moment.
    I'm not not the seller, but am the schill bider leading currently :o
  • OptimusPube 7 Aug 2013 08:40:29 2,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thanks for all the responses guys, I do like the Boardman bikes actually and mentioned them earlier on in this thread, they do get really good reviews.

/ponders

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• urban 7 Aug 2013 08:54:10 10,942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone know of another reynolds 752 touring bike maker other than Dawes or Ridgeback? They're both not quite what I'm looking for.
  • Trafford 7 Aug 2013 09:04:55 5,739 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @urban Does it have to be Reynolds?
    Check the Surly Long Haul Trucker and new for next year Straggler.
  • Page

of 350 First / Last