The cycling thread Page 243

• Page

of 343 First / Last

• Psychotext 17 Jul 2013 00:24:37 53,849 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was quite dusty, though I specifically picked a trail which turns to mulch if there's even been the slightest amount of rain in the last fortnight or so. :)
  • caligari 17 Jul 2013 00:37:02 16,999 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pah - big tear through the sidewall of one of my Gatorskins - fitted an old Schwalbe Lugano as a 'temporary' replacement - so temporary that it last about three miles before puncturing - although I probably didn't make enough of an effort to dodge a big patch of broken glass (so used to Marathon Plus tyres on my single-speed making mincemeat of road debris).

So, jah - any recommendations for a sturdy (but speedy) tyre? The gatorskins were okay, but could lead to a rather bumpy ride at times - and they were obviously not as zippy as my old GP4000s.
  • mal 17 Jul 2013 01:15:16 22,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've tried Conti Gatorskins in the past, but they went pop far too quickly for my liking, and the sidewalls on them are thin as fuck. On the other hand I love Conti Supersport Plus tyres. I find them more durable than the Gatorskins I tried at least. Nice almost slick surface, apparently inspired by the GP4000 pattern, but a lot more sturdily built so a lot heavier I guess. Last pair I pulled off had loads of crap embedded in them and slashes left right and center but the thing that got me was letting the tyres get too flat and getting pinch punctures off the rims. It was pulling the tyres off to fix the punctures when I noticed what state they were in and got new ones, but they still rode fine.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• elstoof 17 Jul 2013 10:50:22 6,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    That is an unbelievably cool paint job.
    So damn cool.
    Cheers buddy :D

It's certainly one that inspires an opinion, either really good or really bad - no compromises.
  • andytheadequate 17 Jul 2013 12:00:25 8,081 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've been looking into buying a full suspension mountain bike recently. After s bit of research, it appears that the best value for money bike you can buy is a Boardman, which are only available at Halfords. Anyone know if they still have them in stock? There hasn't been a 2013 model yet (to my knowledge), and I can't find them on their website.

Or are there any other well thought of bikes for around 1k?
  • elstoof 17 Jul 2013 12:04:59 6,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Boardman are alway good value, the German mail order brands are even better bang per buck if you're confident on your sizing and in sending all that money away with a mere click of a mouse button.
  • MikeP 17 Jul 2013 12:16:23 1,771 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Pah - big tear through the sidewall of one of my Gatorskins - fitted an old Schwalbe Lugano as a 'temporary' replacement - so temporary that it last about three miles before puncturing - although I probably didn't make enough of an effort to dodge a big patch of broken glass (so used to Marathon Plus tyres on my single-speed making mincemeat of road debris).

So, jah - any recommendations for a sturdy (but speedy) tyre? The gatorskins were okay, but could lead to a rather bumpy ride at times - and they were obviously not as zippy as my old GP4000s.
    Vittoria Randonneur tyres are going to be slower that Contis, but I've used them and they are very robust, and not too pricy.

Another good option are Schwalbe Durano Plus. The missus runs them in a 25mm size on her Condor Fratello, and has had zero punctures in about 18 months of commuting and riding all over the place, including tow/gravel path roads. They roll reasonably well too.
  • elstoof 17 Jul 2013 13:02:31 6,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cor.. Sourced a spare crown race at Condor, they want 20 quid for it though! I could get a brand new headset for 50. Hmm..
  • Trafford 17 Jul 2013 16:06:20 5,635 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A mate a work did his first crit race last night and came 3rd.
    I feel quite proud as it was my evangelism that made him take up the bike two years ago.
    Since then he has become quite the roadie, and left me and my pootling far behind. His ambition is to be a cat 2, or is it 3? racer.

I have taken it upon myself to come with a nickname :D
  • elstoof 17 Jul 2013 16:13:28 6,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cat 4 is where you start, up to Elite via Cat 3,2 and 1 is where you want to end up. That's good going, crits can be tough.
  • pistol 17 Jul 2013 21:47:12 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Cat 4 is where you start, up to Elite via Cat 3,2 and 1 is where you want to end up. That's good going, crits can be tough.
    Only done Cat 3 so far plus sportives but racing is a lot of fun.
  • Trafford 17 Jul 2013 22:23:00 5,635 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, he wants to get as far as the Cat where you can go as an amateur. I'm sure he will.
  • Psychotext 18 Jul 2013 03:56:51 53,849 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saw some roadie chick earlier with a fantastic pair of tits (low cut jersey) and a top notch arse (padding aside).

Would tempt me over to the dark side for sure. :D
  • elstoof 18 Jul 2013 06:10:03 6,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are worse people to sit in the slipstream of during summer, for sure. Be careful though, last time I got too engrossed on the commute I ended up an hour away in Dagenham.
  • elstoof 18 Jul 2013 08:13:18 6,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I feel I should warn you of a potential pitfall though; sometimes shapely, toned and shaved legs + firm buttocks + slender body + ponytail = actually equals dude.

Opens the door to all sorts of confusing feelings.
  • Trafford 18 Jul 2013 08:14:55 5,635 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @psycho Stop worrying about the dark side and get a Cross bike.
    It's a halfway house.
  • Trafford 18 Jul 2013 08:18:18 5,635 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hah, I think I have a man crush on Laurens Ten Dam
    It's that picture with a bandage across his face, and on his Twitter profile it says I like BBQ and camping.
  • elstoof 18 Jul 2013 08:22:35 6,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The picture from a year or two ago after he face planted into the Tarmac? With the bandage wrapped round the equator of his head, blood, sweat, drool and snot all pouring from beneath it as he carried on racing regardless?

That's a beautiful picture in so many ways.
  • Trafford 18 Jul 2013 08:27:32 5,635 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah :D
    He was drooling yesterday in the TT
  • Psychotext 18 Jul 2013 09:34:37 53,849 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I feel I should warn you of a potential pitfall though; sometimes shapely, toned and shaved legs + firm buttocks + slender body + ponytail = actually equals dude.

Opens the door to all sorts of confusing feelings.
    No, I'm good... I actually pulled over to get a better look at her passing. :D

Trafford wrote:
    It's a halfway house.
    Few more bikes on my list before something like that I reckon.

Edited by Psychotext at 09:35:30 18-07-2013
  • Trafford 18 Jul 2013 10:13:22 5,635 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    It's a halfway house.
    Few more bikes on my list before something like that I reckon. WTF are you talking about? A Recumbent? A Trike?
    ;)
  • Psychotext 18 Jul 2013 11:29:23 53,849 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago

:D

I want to get myself a carbon whippet as well as an all mountain bike. Still don't have the balls for a full on downhill one.
  • Trafford 18 Jul 2013 12:06:40 5,635 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:

:D
    Ahh, Christmas 1980. I got a yellow second hand one.
    It was downhill from there for a while. 2 years later I got a BMX from Woolworths.
  • Psychotext 18 Jul 2013 12:13:40 53,849 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had a knock off one. I think it got stolen, bastards. :(
  • BillMurray 18 Jul 2013 14:42:28 7,622 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had a decent jaunt on my bicycle today. Only 17 mile round trip but I have zero leg muscles and probably haven't spent more than an hour in the saddle for a very long time. Only got into a bit of trouble on one occasion struggling to get up a steep hill. Definitely know my limits with the one gear I have, at least until I build up my leg muscles. Good fun though.
  • elstoof 18 Jul 2013 15:03:46 6,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good work, you'll be building the legs up in no time.

Any Londoners want to do a few laps of regents park at around 6:30 / 7am before work is welcome to join me, I'll be doing a few steady laps for the next week or so. Nothing hectic, 32-34k average depending on how much Ready Brek I get down me.
  • Trafford 18 Jul 2013 15:25:30 5,635 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @BillMurray
    You'll be amazed at what you can climb with enough practice.
    No messing around trying to find the right gear, just straight up in half the time.

If you can, get some clipless pedals and shoes. That will help drag yourself up.
  • andytheadequate 18 Jul 2013 15:29:20 8,081 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What online shops do people recommend for buying bikes? Also, is it a good idea to buy without seeing the bike beforehand?
  • Trafford 18 Jul 2013 16:31:49 5,635 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @andytheadequate

Evans Cycles have a lot of stock, dating back a few seasons. Plus you can pay a refundable deposit and get the bike shipped to your local store to test ride.
  • X201 18 Jul 2013 16:43:33 15,143 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:

Is that some kind of modern remake?

Split saddle and no gearstick.
  • Page

of 343 First / Last