The cycling thread Page 240

• Page

of 343 First / Last

• Trafford 10 Jul 2013 10:00:52 5,644 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Salaman Have you tried disassembling the pump nozzle?
    Depending on the pump, it might have a reversible Schrader/Presta fitting.
  • Psychotext 10 Jul 2013 11:26:11 53,855 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Got back from doing Marmotte in Alps last weekend and went well. Bloody hot (36 degrees unless you were on top of the climbs) and I managed gold.

8hrs 32

Well chuffed
    Congrats. Was clear that you really wanted it. :)
  • Salaman 10 Jul 2013 11:31:11 18,889 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    @Salaman Have you tried disassembling the pump nozzle?
    Depending on the pump, it might have a reversible Schrader/Presta fitting.
    Nothing so sophisticated I'm afraid. It's a little hand pump like this.

The hole is too small. I unscrewed the bit of plastic that has the hole in it (and a bit of rubber seal) but then it's too big. Need to go and find a different pump I'm afraid.
  • Trafford 10 Jul 2013 11:38:49 5,644 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Turn the plastic seal around. It has a narrow and a wide end?
  • pistol 10 Jul 2013 11:56:21 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    That's a good time pistol, I heard it was pretty hot out there so even better going. Nice work!
    Did it last year and hotter this time by a long way. People in all sorts of trouble and even early on. The last climb up Alp d'uez looked like a massacre with riders walking, sitting and even lieing down on every bend.

Lots of crashes too.
  • pistol 10 Jul 2013 11:58:23 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    Got back from doing Marmotte in Alps last weekend and went well. Bloody hot (36 degrees unless you were on top of the climbs) and I managed gold.

8hrs 32

Well chuffed
    Congrats. Was clear that you really wanted it. :)
    Yeah, had trained all year for it and pleased with result. Think I'm going to miss next year and go back in 2015. Do more in the UK next year and perhaps a weeks training in June in Alps. Tough as I was away from my family and both times it was my birthday (this year day of Marmotte).
  • MikeP 10 Jul 2013 12:32:09 1,773 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pistol wrote:

8hrs 32

Well chuffed
    Nicely done Pistol, it sounded like it was a pretty tough day, I know one or two people who were also out there.

What next for you? Got more rides planned for the year?
  • Salaman 10 Jul 2013 13:05:17 18,889 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    I'll have a look if it does. Although I think the valve is so ridiculously wide it didn't even fit into the little hole.
  • Deleted user 10 July 2013 13:07:13
    Well done pistol! congratulations!
  • elstoof 10 Jul 2013 13:07:43 6,660 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    18th of August, audax down in Surrey if anyone's keen. 115km.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-356/
  • elstoof 10 Jul 2013 13:08:14 6,660 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Megapocalypse 10 Jul 2013 14:00:06 5,326 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bollocks. Fucking potholes. Fucking punctures.

Was having a fantastic ride down to the coast today. It would have been the longest rise I'd done so far and with only about 15 miles to go I was feeling great. Then I got a puncture.

Not a problem. If just bought a new pump and always have a spare tube with me. Replaced quickly and on my way again. I guess the stop had caused my concentration to drop as about 30 seconds after I set off again I came round a corner straight in to a Fucking crater of a pothole. The tyre when bang hiss and I made made some unpleasant sounds as well.

So out came the old tube and the repair kit. Only a small hole and only the one so nice and easy to fix. Patched it, checked the wheel for anything that could have caused it and replaced it again.

Well apparently I missed something or it just wasn't meant to be as 30 seconds later and it was flat again. 3 punctures was enough for me. Luckily I was only a 20 minute walk to the station so now I'm sitting on a train fuming and defeated.

All I wanted to do was see the sea. :(

Edited by Megapocalypse at 14:06:31 10-07-2013
  • MikeP 10 Jul 2013 14:08:30 1,773 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Trafford wrote:
    I'll have a look if it does. Although I think the valve is so ridiculously wide it didn't even fit into the little hole.
    I reckon you can unscrew the surround on the valve connection, you can normally pull the central section out and reverse it.
  • elstoof 10 Jul 2013 14:27:19 6,660 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds like a pinch flat, also called a snake bite, from the pothole. The pressure of the rim against the ground causes two holes, one either side of the tube. I'm guessing you patched one and left the other.
  • Megapocalypse 10 Jul 2013 14:49:45 5,326 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Didn't even try patching the potholed one. I could see one hole and the hole in the first tube was smaller.
  • mal 10 Jul 2013 14:56:49 22,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    motti82 wrote:
    Wish there were more paths like that everywhere, as it's just a wide smoothly pathed track, and no traffic. Win/win.
    Yeah, the various internet route trackers round here keep wanting to take me off the main road and onto the canal tow path, the latter consisting mainly of mud with rocks in, with intervening locks which consist of wet cobbles. Completely uncycleable on my slick road tyres (though probably a laugh on a properly set up MTB). None of the route planners I've found let you input what sort of terrain you're set up for.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• midi82 11 Jul 2013 09:30:56 663 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looks like my slow and steady descent to the bottom of the fantasy TdF is nearly complete.
  • Psychotext 11 Jul 2013 09:44:01 53,855 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I dreamed about riding a road bike last night. I feel all sorts of wrong.
  • elstoof 11 Jul 2013 09:48:32 6,660 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In sticking hard to my plan of dominating the mid table with my mediocrity.
  • andytheadequate 11 Jul 2013 09:52:00 8,084 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    It's a slippery slope, it starts with an innocent dream but will soon end in Lycra and waxed legs

Can someone explain the bike to work schemes? There appear to be hundreds of them but none properly explain whether I'd actually own the bike at the end of my repayments
  • midi82 11 Jul 2013 10:01:47 663 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I looked into the one at my work and, I may be wrong, it appeared that at the end of the year there is an amount to pay to keep the bike.

If the bike cost more than about 400 I think you had to pay about 20% I think. The Halfords scheme just says Fair market value.

Or you could just not keep the bike and get a new one. When I was buying I just wanted a hybrid for the bad weather so it worked out better to get an old model from Wiggle with about 35% off.
    The problem I found was that you pretty much had to pay RRP so unless you are going for 1000 bike the savings aren't quite as good as advertised.
    I think the biggest benefit is that you can spread the payments.
  • midi82 11 Jul 2013 10:02:36 663 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Halfords FAQ
  • captbirdseye 11 Jul 2013 10:03:52 4,787 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @andytheadequate The schemes seem pretty uselees now or least in Wales as the tax breaks are pretty shit when compared with a few years ago. I remember HMRC changing the terms and conditions.

Road bikes..ewww!
  • elstoof 11 Jul 2013 10:05:17 6,660 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They are all the same, it's a guideline for accountants that various schemes wrap in a an easily digestible package by issuing vouchers to spend in stores which have agreed to give a kickback to the operator.

Your employer will own the bike and then rent it to you for a year so they own it at the end of the term and have the option of selling it to you at the market value - depending on your employer that might be as much as the saving you expected to make. HMRC used to turn a blind eye to companies writing off the bike but apparently they are getting wise to firms doing this and cause headaches for the accounts depts because they should be selling the asset and paying the tax on the profit.

A better idea in my opinion is negotiating with the manager of the bike shop which accepts vouchers to give you a discount for cash - they pay 10% of the rrp to the voucher issuing company so you could get 5% and everyone's a winner.
  • pistol 11 Jul 2013 10:06:53 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    pistol wrote:

8hrs 32

Well chuffed
    Nicely done Pistol, it sounded like it was a pretty tough day, I know one or two people who were also out there.

What next for you? Got more rides planned for the year?
    Week off the bike this week and one last UK Sportive in Sept before starting winter training in Oct. Doing Southern Sportive in Hampshire. 100 miles, nice route and got gold on it last 2 years.
  • pistol 11 Jul 2013 10:08:01 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I think you need to get rid of those hang ups.

A bike's a bike.
  • andytheadequate 11 Jul 2013 10:34:02 8,084 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So you are basically paying for a bike with 0% interest, but after you finish your payments you don't actually own the bike? I don't really see the benefits, unless employers sell the bike very cheaply at the end
  • Dougs 11 Jul 2013 10:46:43 66,755 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Sounds like a pinch flat, also called a snake bite, from the pothole. The pressure of the rim against the ground causes two holes, one either side of the tube. I'm guessing you patched one and left the other.
    I've been getting lots of these, as far as I can tell. Wondered whether I was inflating the tyres too much for the state of the roads where I cycle? I'm also having trouble with these glueless patches...I keep my bike in the conservatory and in the hot weather, these are heating up and slipping, causing the tyres to deflate (I think anyway...!).
  • captbirdseye 11 Jul 2013 10:47:11 4,787 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @andytheadequate you used to be able to own the bike after the paying it off ( ie none of this final payment bullshit 18 months later).
  • midi82 11 Jul 2013 10:54:40 663 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They used to be pretty good but then when everyone started by new bikes and never riding them the govt clamped down on it.

Depending where you work you can always try and do some sort of a deal with your employer. If you refuse to buy the bike at the end of the scheme it then belongs to the company so they can sell you it for anything they want.
    Not sure what the tax implications are but it is an option for some people.
  • Page

of 343 First / Last