The cycling thread Page 229

• Page

of 366 First / Last

• Psychotext 20 Jun 2013 10:59:40 54,403 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Half tempted to try this: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/538854/cycling-weekly-lakeland-monster-miles.html

Not often I can do an event on my mountain bike (I think it's intended for cross).

Edited by Psychotext at 11:01:11 20-06-2013
  • MikeP 20 Jun 2013 12:46:11 1,943 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Huh. So I've got a new frameset sitting at Sigma Sports waiting for me now, the chaps at Colnago must have busted a nut getting it ready before the Italian summer holidays. Wasn't expecting it for another 4 months.
    Nice! What build are you going for?

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Deleted user 20 June 2013 13:13:38
    Team sky line up for TDF. (next week yay!)

Chris Froome - Great Britain – age 28

He heads into the Tour as team leader, with a string of stage-race wins in 2013 at the Tour of Oman, Criterium International, Tour de Romandie and Criterium du Dauphine. Previously on the podium in two Grand Tours; last year’s Tour de France and the 2011 Vuelta a Espana.

Richie Porte - Australia – age 28

An integral part of Teams Sky’s successful Tour de France team in 2012, he is currently in his most impressive season to date. The Tasmanian climber captured his biggest win to date at Paris-Nice in February and was second at both Vuelta al Pais Vasco and Criterium du Dauphine.

Edvald Boasson Hagen - Norway – age 26

The Norwegian all-rounder has lined-up at each of Team Sky’s three Tour de France appearances – the only ever-present – winning two stages, including the team’s first Tour stage win in 2011. He can contest sprints and turn into a powerful climbing domestique.

Peter Kennaugh MBE - Great Britain – age 24

He makes his Tour de France debut this year after impressing at the Tour du Dauphine joining. Born on the Isle of Man, he won Olympic Gold for Britain in the team pursuit at London 2012, alongside team-mate Geraint Thomas.

Vasil Kiryienka - Belarus – age 31

New to Team Sky this year, the Belarusian has gained wide recognition for tireless stints on the front of the peloton and is a key asset on the climbs. He will mark his 32nd birthday on the eve of this year’s Grand Depart in Corsica.

David López - Spain – age 32

Joined Team Sky this season and has played a key part in Chris Froome’s victories at the Tour de Romandie and Criterium du Dauphine. This will be his third Tour de France but his first in Team Sky colours. He brings invaluable experience and a relaxed demeanour.

Kanstantsin Siutsou - Belarus – age 30

One of two Belarusians in the line-up, he brings both power and climbing prowess in equal measure. ‘Kosta’ has made four previous appearances in the Tour de France but his last, in 2012, ended early after he broke his leg in a first-week crash.

Ian Stannard - Great Britain – age 26

A second rider making his Tour debut, the 2012 British national road champion has earned legions of fans due to his unwavering work ethic and dedication to the cause. One of the most powerful men in the peloton, Stannard is a huge asset over three weeks.

Geraint Thomas MBE - Great Britain – age 27

After making his Tour debut in 2007 he wore the white jersey for Team Sky during both 2010 and 2011. The Welsh-born rider has won two Olympic Golds in the team pursuit, in Beijing and London, and returns to the Tour after a year spent focused on the track.

---

Pretty sure Geriant Thomas left last year for another team. Obviously he didn't :)
  • MikeP 20 Jun 2013 13:16:41 1,943 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Half tempted to try this: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/538854/cycling-weekly-lakeland-monster-miles.html

Not often I can do an event on my mountain bike (I think it's intended for cross).
    Ooh that looks like a good laugh. I'd definitely be interested in having a crack at it on the CX bike.

• Trafford 20 Jun 2013 13:34:13 5,879 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:

Ooh that looks like a good laugh. I'd definitely be interested in having a crack at it on the CX bike.
    That's the Skiddaw loop. Excellent ride, I'd be tempted to break my mass participation duck.
  • Psychotext 20 Jun 2013 13:35:49 54,403 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ha, EG outing (though I'm sure we'd only see thirty seconds of each other). :p
  • MikeP 20 Jun 2013 13:49:07 1,943 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Psychotext No way! I'm sure we'd be able to bimble around as a group.

I'm going to talk to the missus about it this evening. A cheeky short break to the lakes to play in the mud might be a fitting end to the summer.

• elstoof 20 Jun 2013 14:16:21 7,757 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @MikeP it's tough deciding how to build a steel frame to be honest, especially a lugged one. Still, it's a nice problem to have. I thought about going for a shiny silver build but any new components in silver are a bit limited on options and hunting down NOS parts for a 2013 frame seems wrong to me. I've seen a Master built with modern black kit and it looks great so I'm going with something like that, sort of neo-classic build.

So far, some Record hubs and Ambrosio F20 tubs, 32 hole. Standard 3x with black Lasers, should weigh in under 1500g the set.

Record threadless headset, provided wiggle exchange the Deore hub they sent in error.

Some sort of Campag groupset, probably upgrading the Wilier and swapping the Chorus over.

Selle Italia SLR as always, so far so Italian. To really piss off the weight weenies though, I'll probably be chucking some Ritchey finishing kit all over it because that's how I roll.
  • elstoof 20 Jun 2013 14:18:23 7,757 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Psychotext 20 Jun 2013 14:18:54 54,403 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "should weigh in under 1500g the set"

That's about the same as one of my pedals.
  • elstoof 20 Jun 2013 14:24:56 7,757 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think they would be much cop coming down a mountain side either to be honest. Need a bit of trueing at the very least.
  • Psychotext 20 Jun 2013 14:33:17 54,403 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They have that in common with me then (truing aside).
  • MikeP 20 Jun 2013 15:22:56 1,943 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm getting pretty set on my Rourke build. 853, not 953 steel, going to go for a paint scheme a bit like this one, rather than the ALL THE COLOURS AND METALLICS TOO, that often appear.

I'm going for an ENVE 2.0 fork, no mudguards. A friend has a steel Waterford, and her build features the same fork. It looks really crisp.

Groupset is likely to be the new Ultegra 11 speed. Nice light wheelset and finishing kit.

Edited by MikeP at 15:24:45 20-06-2013

• Psychotext 20 Jun 2013 15:24:39 54,403 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just got my bike back, it now has my new (el cheapo) fork on it.

See, I have exciting bike news too.
  • elstoof 20 Jun 2013 16:21:56 7,757 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are you going up to Rourke for measuring Mike? It's gonna be a cracker when finished, that dark blue looks boss. I saw a lovely Tomassini in light blue on the net, I'll dig out the picture when I get home, that Rourke reminded me of it for some reason. Going for handbuilt wheels? I guess you'll need some super dished hubs for the new Ultegra.
  • mal 20 Jun 2013 16:37:34 22,710 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How cheap was your el cheapo? Current fork on mine cost me the princely sum of 23 quid. I think the grease and massive spanner I bought to fit it cost more though.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• MikeP 20 Jun 2013 16:45:26 1,943 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @elstoof Yep, heading up there in a couple of weeks for the measure-up. I think the 11-speed has the same overall cassette width as 10, it's just everything is a bit narrower.

I'm thinking of a nice deep green for mine, you don't see many bikes that colour. Also, that won't clash with much of my kit :)

• elstoof 20 Jun 2013 17:53:26 7,757 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Campy 11 uses a narrower chain and closer cogs to fit the same hub body as 9/10 speeds, but I think the Shimano 11 keeps the same spacing and chain width with a wider hub body so the wheel needs a shallower dish.

That should be a nice colour, sort of British racing green I'm imagining. You don't see that at all on bikes, sounds great. Looking forward to seeing the build :D
  • elstoof 20 Jun 2013 18:18:37 7,757 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @joelstinton

Thomas just took a year off from the road to focus on the Olympics, there wasn't any talk of him leaving.
  • Deleted user 20 June 2013 18:27:17
    @elstoof im probably thinking of simon gerrans! :)
  • MikeP 20 Jun 2013 22:47:32 1,943 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Right, I have flight clearance from the better half to do this Lakeland Monster/Skiddaw Loop thing.

I'm going to buy a ticket tomorrow. This could be the first actual EG real-life cycling event if at least one other person does the same!

• Trafford 20 Jun 2013 23:02:23 5,879 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've looked into this and incredibly, chances are, I'm going to be in Ibiza that weekend. A works gala dinner following our annual sales competition. I'm contract bound to keep the weekend free :(
    It's the weekend after the EG expo I see.

It's something I've ducked out of for the last 10 years as a family man. Now I'm single, my boss is telling me I've no excuse.
  • Psychotext 20 Jun 2013 23:07:42 54,403 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm giving it some real thought, I'm just a little concerned that:

A: My fitness is going to be an issue. That's a pretty long ride in mountain biking terms.

B: I'm going to be the only person there on a mountain bike so I'll be bloody slow!
  • Trafford 20 Jun 2013 23:30:32 5,879 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't want to sound like a twat here PT.

A: Skiddaw is a massif, once you're up, it's a lovely round on easy mixed terrain.

B: Loads of people will be on MTB, as on most casual CX events.

C: I really need to sell a bike, and my Karate Monkey is the likely suspect. Make me an offer sunshine :D
  • Trafford 20 Jun 2013 23:31:51 5,879 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    D: Mike wants you there!
  • Psychotext 20 Jun 2013 23:34:16 54,403 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Your monkey would make my avalanche seem like a road bike by (weight) comparison. :p

What's massif mean?
  • Trafford 20 Jun 2013 23:43:04 5,879 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Small hill cluster. With a path/plateau.
    It's an old mining area so the tracks are well established.
  • Psychotext 20 Jun 2013 23:46:16 54,403 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I see.
  • Psychotext 20 Jun 2013 23:50:15 54,403 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm... maybe I'd go up on the Friday. Is one hell of a drive.

/will give it some more thought
  • Megapocalypse 20 Jun 2013 23:54:50 5,471 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Would love to do it but take it I'd have to get a mountain bike?
  • Page

of 366 First / Last