The cycling thread Page 224

  • Page

    of 366 First / Last

  • Salaman 25 May 2013 15:46:04 19,270 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Firework on today's last climb! What a pity yesterday had to be scrapped. Good stuff!
  • Salaman 25 May 2013 15:53:29 19,270 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fucking annoying run-along arseholes! Christ on a bike!
  • elstoof 25 May 2013 17:14:35 7,743 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What a ride by Betancur again, he was miles off the back. Wiggins would have had nothing to answer a kick like that from nibbles.
  • Salaman 25 May 2013 21:10:53 19,270 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I felt sorry for Evans. He was getting dropped, he struggled his way back to spitting distance from the Columbians in an attempt to secure his second place and then cracked and stalled with people passing him left and right, with his 3rd place also looking at risk at some point.

    If Nibali was racing by the Merckx book tomorrow, he'd hold on to that red as well or try to. :-)
  • pistol 25 May 2013 21:46:36 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    I felt sorry for Evans. He was getting dropped, he struggled his way back to spitting distance from the Columbians in an attempt to secure his second place and then cracked and stalled with people passing him left and right, with his 3rd place also looking at risk at some point.

    If Nibali was racing by the Merckx book tomorrow, he'd hold on to that red as well or try to. :-)
    Evans didn't crack, he had a mechanical that couldn't be fixed about 2km from the top.
  • oceanmotion 25 May 2013 22:17:28 16,001 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Any recommended online shops for bike clothes?

    Edited by oceanmotion at 22:18:16 25-05-2013
  • elstoof 25 May 2013 22:27:38 7,743 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What do you need to buy, and what budget?

    Wiggle and chainreactioncycles have a decent range of general gear, Decathlon stock more value stuff, Prendas do retro kit at decent prices, Rapha do high quality clothes that you'll pay top dollar for. Evans and Cycle Surgery sell online but you may as well shop in store to try it on. Vintage Velos sell retro kit in pure merino wool but its pricey to look like Merckx or Anquetil.
    ShuttVR and Torm.cc do sportwool clothing in a Rapha stylee at a lower price. And there's also Vulpine who review pretty well. Ride do decent bibshorts by all accounts for a good price.

    Edited by elstoof at 22:34:05 25-05-2013
  • oceanmotion 25 May 2013 22:33:09 16,001 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some ensues bib shorts.

    Nice, thanks.
  • Salaman 25 May 2013 22:35:56 19,270 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Salaman wrote:
    I felt sorry for Evans. He was getting dropped, he struggled his way back to spitting distance from the Columbians in an attempt to secure his second place and then cracked and stalled with people passing him left and right, with his 3rd place also looking at risk at some point.

    If Nibali was racing by the Merckx book tomorrow, he'd hold on to that red as well or try to. :-)
    Evans didn't crack, he had a mechanical that couldn't be fixed about 2km from the top.
    Ah didn't realise. They kept cutting back to him sinking through the ranks. I felt sorry for him. Probably cost him 2nd that. Although if you don't come first I'm not sure if 2nd or 3rd matters much to you.
  • Salaman 25 May 2013 22:39:55 19,270 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    Aaaand, convicted doper Di Luca has had an A-sample test positive for EPO taken before the Giro. He got done for CERA use in 2009.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/danilo-di-luca-positive-for-epo

    These pricks never learn, do they?

    pistol wrote:

    And Di Luca's a moron. Old school and should have been chucked out the sport years ago. Also won the 2007 Giro after doping.


    Unexpected to hear him pipe up on twitter about this.
    Still, he seems to agree with you. :-)

    @lancearmstrong

    Knowing I have 0 cred on the doping issue - I still can't help but think, "really Di Luca? Are you that fucking stupid??"


    Edited by Salaman at 22:59:29 25-05-2013
  • elstoof 25 May 2013 22:46:10 7,743 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Amazing, that's like Berlusconi telling you how important monogamy is.
  • fletch7100 26 May 2013 06:52:32 7,352 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Crazy Frenchman straps a rocket to a bicycle, sets record speed of 163MPH. Like the fact thre is a link for Physio services on same web page
  • elstoof 26 May 2013 17:34:33 7,743 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had a very pleasant club ride with the recently formed Islington CC this morning. Nice crowd of people.
  • pistol 26 May 2013 18:02:23 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    Salaman wrote:
    I felt sorry for Evans. He was getting dropped, he struggled his way back to spitting distance from the Columbians in an attempt to secure his second place and then cracked and stalled with people passing him left and right, with his 3rd place also looking at risk at some point.

    If Nibali was racing by the Merckx book tomorrow, he'd hold on to that red as well or try to. :-)
    Evans didn't crack, he had a mechanical that couldn't be fixed about 2km from the top.
    Ah didn't realise. They kept cutting back to him sinking through the ranks. I felt sorry for him. Probably cost him 2nd that. Although if you don't come first I'm not sure if 2nd or 3rd matters much to you.
    I don't think he thought he'd even podium at the start but did well in the end. Gutsy rider and interested to see what he does next. Getting on a bit now though so doubt he'll win another GT.
  • pistol 26 May 2013 18:03:08 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    MikeP wrote:
    Aaaand, convicted doper Di Luca has had an A-sample test positive for EPO taken before the Giro. He got done for CERA use in 2009.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/danilo-di-luca-positive-for-epo

    These pricks never learn, do they?

    pistol wrote:

    And Di Luca's a moron. Old school and should have been chucked out the sport years ago. Also won the 2007 Giro after doping.


    Unexpected to hear him pipe up on twitter about this.
    Still, he seems to agree with you. :-)

    @lancearmstrong

    Knowing I have 0 cred on the doping issue - I still can't help but think, "really Di Luca? Are you that fucking stupid??"
    Yeah saw the tweet. He should just stfu really.
  • MikeP 26 May 2013 22:52:25 1,942 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Had a very pleasant club ride with the recently formed Islington CC this morning. Nice crowd of people.
    Oooh, I heard about them, but they appear to have no website at the moment? It'd be great to go out with them, seeing as they are on my doorstep and all.

    And I could finally meet another EG cyclist too \o/

    PSN ID: Mikenetic

  • elstoof 27 May 2013 06:58:20 7,743 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    islington.cc redirects to their British Cycling page with details, there's a Facebook group as well. Basically the Sunday ride heads out from Whittington Park on Holloway Road at 8:30, did a bit over 40 miles up and around potters bar at a decent clip. Nice group, no one gets left behind etc. I'll upload my strava route and figure out how to link it later if you like.
  • elstoof 27 May 2013 08:11:29 7,743 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Here you go Mike, give you an idea of the ride. The route was pretty organic, if anyone had a suggestion then thats where we went.

    http://app.strava.com/activities/56518404
  • MikeP 27 May 2013 19:12:10 1,942 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @elstoof Thanks for that, I know those roads pretty well, and that's quite a nice route.

    Have you formally joined the club, or did you go for a trial run out?

    PSN ID: Mikenetic

  • Khanivor 27 May 2013 19:54:22 40,942 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not a fan of cycling, per se, but with the USA Pro Cycling Challenge race going through my neighborhood we came down to watch a drink beer at the new place opening right at the base of the mountain these folks are climbing.

    Having driven up the course many times I've no idea how people could rave up the mountain under peddle power.
  • elstoof 27 May 2013 21:17:02 7,743 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @MikeP Haven't handed any money over yet so it's all pretty informal thus far. I think a few of the other guys yesterday are in the same boat and the guys in charge seem happy to include anyone who turns up - I gather there are a few clubs out there who can be a bit exclusive. Hell, we even got treated to a coffee and panettone on the way home :D

    Come along for a spin if you fancy it, be good to see you there. Saying that, I'll be away with the family next week* so I won't be there til the week after.

    *This weekend rather, heading up to the lakes this coming Saturday for a week so be back for Sunday week.

    Edited by elstoof at 21:29:09 27-05-2013
  • pistol 27 May 2013 21:40:21 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    Salaman wrote:
    I felt sorry for Evans. He was getting dropped, he struggled his way back to spitting distance from the Columbians in an attempt to secure his second place and then cracked and stalled with people passing him left and right, with his 3rd place also looking at risk at some point.

    If Nibali was racing by the Merckx book tomorrow, he'd hold on to that red as well or try to. :-)
    Evans didn't crack, he had a mechanical that couldn't be fixed about 2km from the top.
    Ah didn't realise. They kept cutting back to him sinking through the ranks. I felt sorry for him. Probably cost him 2nd that. Although if you don't come first I'm not sure if 2nd or 3rd matters much to you.
    Yeah his gears were jammed by the snow and he was stuck in too heavy a gear to challenge properly.
  • elstoof 27 May 2013 21:55:04 7,743 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not the best advert for Di2 when snow jams the rear mech and arguably costs a rider his chances of the stage/Giro... I wonder if Shimano have arranged some sort of hush up because I've not seen this mentioned elsewhere.
  • pistol 28 May 2013 08:50:13 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Not the best advert for Di2 when snow jams the rear mech and arguably costs a rider his chances of the stage/Giro... I wonder if Shimano have arranged some sort of hush up because I've not seen this mentioned elsewhere.
    CyclingNews, VeloNews, he also mentioned it in a post race interview. Any kit can jam up in those conditions and I doubt Shimano are worried. Things happen.
  • MikeP 28 May 2013 09:46:47 1,942 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've seen quite a few electronic gearing issues in the Giro, and other races this season.

    I can understand the desire for progress (disc brakes on road/CX bikes being one) but electronic shifting strikes me as a solution looking for a problem. Also, FUGLY. I saw a Specialized McLaren V on Sunday. The battery pack was secured with a zip tie. Seriously?

    PSN ID: Mikenetic

  • Salaman 28 May 2013 09:57:56 19,270 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's electronic shifting on bikes these days? I didn't realise. I pay little attention to what the pros ride on though. All goes massively over my head.
  • MikeP 28 May 2013 10:13:25 1,942 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Salaman Shimano have their Di2 system, Campag have EPS. SRAM don't have one on the market yet.

    There seem to be mixed views on it in the Peleton. Cancellara uses mechanical Dura Ace, for example.

    For the majority of riders I think it takes away some of the independence that cycling offers. I don't want to be plugging my bike into a laptop to diagnose problems.

    PSN ID: Mikenetic

  • elstoof 28 May 2013 10:20:05 7,743 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cancellara is a notable resistor of electronic groups, Shimano prefer to keep it quiet though. Wiggins had an unusual issue with the battery dying on him, that news was spun brilliantly by saying that the battery is so good that the mechanic forgot to charge it.

    The only problem I can see that it solves is for the manufacturers, it's getting harder and harder to lower the component weights each year so the only incentive for punters to buy more kit is to have new tech like this. Makes a bit of a mockery of UCI's law on entirely human powered equipment but I'm sure if the cheque is big enough they can look the other way.
  • elstoof 28 May 2013 10:28:44 7,743 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MikeP wrote:

    For the majority of riders I think it takes away some of the independence that cycling offers. I don't want to be plugging my bike into a laptop to diagnose problems.
    I just don't want to have to charge my bike up. I like the clunk of gear slipping in, the click of the levers, knowing I've just changed gear smoothly through a mix of careful cable tensioning the night before and timing the click of the lever and my pedal stroke just right, no grinding into place. I think for all that electronic adds in accuracy and efficiency, I don't want to lose a single part of that connection with my bike.
  • Psychotext 28 May 2013 10:39:36 54,391 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wish my gears clunked and slipped in. Thanks to various hits through my rides I'm usually lucky to end the trail with the thing changing even vaguely like it started off.

    On the subject of electronics though, I would love to get myself one of those new electronic suspension setups. Mmm... not having to tweak my suspension would suit me just fine.

    Edited by Psychotext at 10:40:39 28-05-2013
  • Page

    of 366 First / Last

Log in or register to reply