The cycling thread Page 219

• Page

of 375 First / Last

• pistol 7 May 2013 21:52:56 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    What slowly filtering through twitter is that he got caught up in the crash that was inside 3k. Apparently the giro jury have only allowed the rule to apply to those who have crashed and not the people who got cuaght up in it.

seems a bit harsh.
    I think they were saying that he was already getting distanced before getting held up by the crash, so technically he shouldn't get the luxury of the same time. Personally in not the biggest Wiggo fan and don't really want him to win. Was a fan but he's getting a bit too big for his boots of late. Fully appreciate his achievements though.
  • MikeP 8 May 2013 11:47:40 2,075 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, he was already gapped, so it seems fair enough. Need to be up at the front to stay at the front.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• pistol 8 May 2013 11:59:14 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @MikeP

He's still got plenty of time to pull it back in the ITT and Nibali will probably lose a fare amount of time there. Evan's is starting to get people interested and he can certainly TT if he's fit. I do like the Giro and the last couple at least have been much more exciting than the Tour.

Next year I'm hoping to to a Grand Fondo Sportive in the Dolomites if this year's Marmotte goes well.
  • dr_swin 8 May 2013 12:28:44 4,915 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @MikeP

Here you go.
  • Deleted user 8 May 2013 12:29:13
    A fella at work got into a bad accident on the commute to work, braking too hard on a canal towpath, going over his bars and fracturing three vertebrae. He blames another cyclist who didn't move to let him through but his Strava history shows that he was trying to beat a target for that particular stretch of canal.

Some people are just cunts, seriously. Bike or not, racing on anything that's not a fucking racetrack deserves nothing but scorn >:-(
  • MikeP 8 May 2013 12:43:46 2,075 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aye, Nibbles isn't the best on the ITT.

Interesting to see if Evans picks up, and obviously Ryder is right up there too.

• pistol 8 May 2013 14:32:44 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @MikeP

Definitely, and I'd put Ryder ahead of everyone at the moment. That's why I like the Giro though, as a little less predictable than the Tour.
  • Psychotext 8 May 2013 15:32:58 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They're making that hill look like hell (22km out).
  • MikeP 8 May 2013 16:35:15 2,075 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wiggins sounds quite philosophical about the time loss yesterday.

He can be a bit Marmitey, but I do wonder how much of the stick he gets is a touch of Tall Poppy Syndrome.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/05/news/wiggins-time-loss-partly-my-own-fault_285590

• pistol 8 May 2013 18:47:06 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @MikeP

I'm sure it'll become a lot clearer and bigger gaps will appear after the ITT and next few mountain stages. I think the next hilly stage is medium height and the real stinkers are later.
  • MikeP 8 May 2013 21:53:06 2,075 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, the last week is pretty tough, if I recall. It's all looking pretty tasty.

• mal 8 May 2013 22:30:12 22,835 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    A fella at work got into a bad accident on the commute to work, braking too hard on a canal towpath, going over his bars and fracturing three vertebrae. He blames another cyclist who didn't move to let him through but his Strava history shows that he was trying to beat a target for that particular stretch of canal.

Some people are just cunts, seriously. Bike or not, racing on anything that's not a fucking racetrack deserves nothing but scorn >:-(
    Agreed. I generally avoid mixed usage roads just because I keep having to give way, and tow paths are amongst the worst on a sunny day. Also note the cycle path I was on the other day which cut through every fucker's driveway between one town and the next. Anyone racing on that sort of surface deserves everything they get, especially if it ends with their bike in the canal.

Although the reason I nearly came a cropper on it the other day was not someone coming out of their drive, but some chubber starting the long climb up the hill I was just coming down at a rate of knots (in my defence, there are no houses on that stretch). With hindsight I should have started slowing as soon as I noticed him start to wobble across the pathway, but it was going to take a lot more than a wobble to sacrifice the speed from the hill the other side of I'd just climbed. As it was my tyre was within an inch from the verge as I passed him. Eeek!

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Salaman 9 May 2013 00:37:40 19,603 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    They're making that hill look like hell (22km out).
    Especially Cav!
    :-)

Did you see the weather they had at the finish earlier on?
    Holy ..... O__0

No wonder it was a bit slippery in the last k.
  • pistol 9 May 2013 12:37:24 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Salaman

Watching Cav on that climb yesterday epitomises why I'm not that much of a fan. Can fully appreciate he's probably the fastest over the last 500 metres if he's got a train to protect him beforehand, but I much prefer the sprinters who a bit more all round such as Thor Hushovd etc. Cav can't help the way he is built but he is so one-dimensional. Even the sprinters of years ago could do more when it went upill.

I was in France back in 09 when Armstrong had his comback year and rode as joint lead with Contador. This was the year Wiggo was with Garmin and the first time he was able to stay with the climbers. We rode up the Cole du Colombiere in the morning waiting for the Tour to come up later in the day. The look on Cav's face was a picture and he was something like 150th out of 180 riders up that climb.

I'm just not a fan of sprinters on completely flat stages so won't be watching Giro today.

Edited by pistol at 12:38:10 09-05-2013
  • Deleted user 9 May 2013 14:06:43
    The total flat stages seem to be numbered in the last couple of years. Quite a few stages last year in the TDF and this year giro have those sharp but short climbs in the last 30k that allows for some great racing and i guess keep it exciting. The likes of sagan and gilbert now seem to be the new cycling 'superstars'

But yeah flat stages are pointless, just tune in for the last 15k. Miss the days when cancellara would try and do one from out far. Perhaps they should limit radio communication to just the race offical car or something on flat stages.

Still great to see CAV do it though, even with out the lead out train his still spectacular to watch.
  • elstoof 9 May 2013 14:15:23 8,310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't know, bunch sprints are pretty exciting to watch and Cavendish in full flight is good value, even without the train he can scream past everyone else like nobodies business. Mountain stages without attacks can be pretty dull too, I'd rather watch a flat stage knowing there's going to be a gripping business end than a mountain stage with 5 guys tapping out the same rhythm until the finish.
  • pistol 9 May 2013 15:46:31 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @joelstinton

I don't mind the flat stages that finish with a little climb, as they stop the likes of Cav doing the same old thing over and over. Have more respect for the likes of Gilbert, Sagan etc.
  • pistol 9 May 2013 15:48:29 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @elstoof

Somehow I think Wiggo won't be able to tap out his usual rythum if he's to win Giro. He could when there weren't really any decent attacking climbers to beat but not now. I may eat my words but I've had a feeling sideburns has won his last GT.
  • Psychotext 9 May 2013 16:08:10 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do you not really get so many breaks on these sorts of stages? Can the sprinters stay with it OK as long as it's not hilly?
  • elstoof 9 May 2013 16:09:47 8,310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, climbers who can TT a bit generally have a higher probability of winning the GC than TT'ers who can climb a bit.
  • elstoof 9 May 2013 16:14:44 8,310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's always the chance of a break but it depends on what your job is for the team leader. One of a sprint contenders lead out train for instance, will stay with the group to protect the leader or chase down any breakaways and reel them back in, while someone from a team eyeing up the GC might make an heroic dash for glory if they feel strong enough, or even just to get some coverage for the sponsors on the back of the jersey.

If only Chiappucci was still around.

Edited by elstoof at 16:20:13 09-05-2013
  • Salaman 9 May 2013 21:10:53 19,603 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Do you not really get so many breaks on these sorts of stages? Can the sprinters stay with it OK as long as it's not hilly?
    Plenty Of breaks but they tend to go away within the first ten or fifteen K, grab screen time for a few hours and then get gobbled up by the peloton. A break 40k out or so is rare and even then they usually nab them in the last few kilometres

Weird crash today. Quite rare t get a total road blockade like that.
  • elstoof 9 May 2013 23:25:40 8,310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gosh, 2 years today. RIP Wouter Weylandt.
  • Salaman 10 May 2013 06:25:37 19,603 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought it was a rather nice touch that the velogames league changed all team's jerseys to Wouter's 108.

Edited by Salaman at 06:26:05 10-05-2013
  • elstoof 10 May 2013 09:11:30 8,310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.thebicycleacademy.org/2013/05/03/balance-bike-course-details/

Build your own children's balance bike course, could make for a fun project for those of us with toddlers!
  • Deleted user 10 May 2013 09:50:09
    @Salaman i noticed that too! Didn't realise what it was for until now.

I have to say, thought the tv coverage of the last 20 k yesterday was top class, really was a good sprint and covered well from some great angles. Really got a sense of teams positioning themselves, trying to find each others wheel, pace. It was text book stuff.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2013 09:50:10

I have to say, thought the tv coverage of the last 20 k yesterday was top class, really was a good sprint and covered well from some great angles. Really got a sense of teams positioning themselves, trying to find each others wheel, pace. It was text book stuff.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2013 09:50:10

• MikeP 10 May 2013 10:52:12 2,075 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    http://www.thebicycleacademy.org/2013/05/03/balance-bike-course-details/

Build your own children's balance bike course, could make for a fun project for those of us with toddlers!
    I saw them making the prototype when I was doing my fillet brazing course. It looks pretty damn cool.

• Psychotext 10 May 2013 16:24:08 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All over for Wiggins then.
  • Page

of 375 First / Last