The cycling thread Page 216

• Page

of 347 First / Last

• elstoof 29 Apr 2013 10:17:21 6,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    (and I guess tarmac is a hell of a lot less variable than your average hillside).
    You've never cycled in Islington then.

Edited by elstoof at 10:18:38 29-04-2013
  • Dougs 29 Apr 2013 10:34:47 67,024 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Or the Isle of Wight. Watch out for that Mike, the roads are horrendous for the most part!
  • Psychotext 29 Apr 2013 11:45:38 53,915 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    You've never cycled in Islington then.
    You speak the truth.
  • MikeP 29 Apr 2013 12:50:29 1,799 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not cycling down this year, but it would have been good to, the weather's looking better. Fingers crossed.

Psycho, there are CX/MTB sportive-type things cropping up now, that might be good if you fancy it. Or a spot of enduro racing, maybe.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• MikeP 29 Apr 2013 12:56:49 1,799 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Or the Isle of Wight. Watch out for that Mike, the roads are horrendous for the most part!
    Oh yeah, I'll be rollin' on my cushy 28mm tyres.

I've pretty much always used 25mm for higher-speed riding, 23mm are just too narrow for the condition of UK roads, IMO. Personally, I never found them any faster than 25s, but the ride quality is noticeably poorer. Also, I prefer the cornering feel of a slightly wider tyre.

• gang_of_bitches 29 Apr 2013 18:29:34 5,447 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just seen Wiggo on the news saying what amounted to his intention to try and win Giro and the tour. That will go down well with Froome then.
  • gang_of_bitches 29 Apr 2013 18:33:10 5,447 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    Oh yeah, I'll be rollin' on my cushy 28mm tyres.

I've pretty much always used 25mm for higher-speed riding, 23mm are just too narrow for the condition of UK roads, IMO. Personally, I never found them any faster than 25s, but the ride quality is noticeably poorer. Also, I prefer the cornering feel of a slightly wider tyre.
    Amazing how the prevailing thoughts around tyre width has changed. I remember back in 1990 proudly rolling on 19mm rubber.
  • elstoof 29 Apr 2013 19:51:39 6,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Back then they were even narrower than the box said, the manufacturers would put, say, 19mm rubber in a 23mm box with a label saying "160PSI!!".
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 20:05:54
    Looking at selling my embarrassingly untouched Carrera Vulcan MTB. Great bike but it's been a year now and I just don't use it. If i've got the free time I'm out walking the dog. I don't enjoy cycling to work due to roads. Which makes it kinda redundant. Also with a big move and new commute (York to Edinburgh) it isn't going to be touched for the foreseeable. I'm in Edinburgh if anyone is interested. Where is the best place to sell it?
  • Salaman 29 Apr 2013 20:28:39 18,953 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Just seen Wiggo on the news saying what amounted to his intention to try and win Giro and the tour. That will go down well with Froome then.
    I was under the impression he was going to try and win the Giro but skip the tour. God knows where I got the idea. I think maybe he said "The Giro is a main goal this year" or somesuch and I interpreted as "doing only Giro".

I'm sure Froom will agree to whatever the team managers decide and if they tell him his time will come he'll be OK with that for now. (or not and he'll ask they break open his contract so he can go elsewhere next year). His Mrs on the other hand ...
  • elstoof 29 Apr 2013 21:15:24 6,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I reckon they'll be too scared to tell wiggins no, let them both ride for themselves and see who looks more likely to win, ruining both their chances ultimately. The days of two pronged attacks from the same team are long gone, as is winning the Giro and the Tour in the same year. David Millar said how self serving Wiggins was during his time at Garmin and I think this is just more of the same from him sadly. He's a good rider, but he was very lucky to win last year and to have a team built around him, much more talented GC riders have had to make do with much lesser resources than he gets. Comments like today's are pure ego.
  • gang_of_bitches 29 Apr 2013 21:35:22 5,447 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    I was under the impression he was going to try and win the Giro but skip the tour. God knows where I got the idea. I think maybe he said "The Giro is a main goal this year" or somesuch and I interpreted as "doing only Giro".

You weren't alone in being under that impression, I certainly thought he might not even ride the Tour let alone contest it. He seemed to indicate that ultimately he'd bow to team orders if they decided it was all about Froome, but he'd be riding to put himself in the best position early on.
  • MikeP 29 Apr 2013 21:35:26 1,799 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Back then they were even narrower than the box said, the manufacturers would put, say, 19mm rubber in a 23mm box with a label saying "160PSI!!".
    Just be done with it and put solid rubber on your rims :)

• elstoof 29 Apr 2013 22:00:05 6,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thin my rubber down to a solution with a little petrol and paint it directly onto the rim before I ride, taking a small bottle of it with me for topping up on the halfway mark of a relaxed triple century Sunday ride.
  • MikeP 29 Apr 2013 22:18:17 1,799 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I thin my rubber down to a solution with a little petrol and paint it directly onto the rim before I ride, taking a small bottle of it with me for topping up on the halfway mark of a relaxed triple century Sunday ride.
    Post that on weight-weenies. Someone will tell you to buy the petrol from garage on the way round to shave off a few more grams :p

• elstoof 29 Apr 2013 22:25:28 6,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :D
  • Psychotext 29 Apr 2013 23:44:24 53,915 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Where is the best place to sell it?
    I bought my last used bike from Gumtree. I believe Pinkbike is also considered a good place.
  • pistol 30 Apr 2013 10:17:59 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    His only serious rival at the Giro seems to be Nibali but I just have a feeling he won't win. Possibly podium but imo the Giro is a lot more unpredictable than the Tour and they mix up the mountain and flat stages a lot more. Nibali can't really time trial and would have to put a lot of time into Wiggo in the mountains to beat him. Still not sure though. Also, Wiggo won't have the big gun's such as Porte to help him in the Giro, like he did when he won the Tour last year and it's basically his team in the mountains who make the difference.

Froome is the favourite on paper for the Tour based on the season so far, but I'll be interested in what Contador does. He's been very quiet up to now.

Can't wait for both races.
  • elstoof 30 Apr 2013 10:38:29 6,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm really hoping for some aggressive attacks from Bertie, and that Froome can respond so we get some excitement this year. I like to think he's got a bit of gumption about him and get drawn in to that sort of battle rather than tapping out a rhythm all day.
  • pistol 30 Apr 2013 10:45:22 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I'm really hoping for some aggressive attacks from Bertie, and that Froome can respond so we get some excitement this year. I like to think he's got a bit of gumption about him and get drawn in to that sort of battle rather than tapping out a rhythm all day.
    I genuinely believe that Froome is on par with Contador and can go toe to toe when required. Froome is a much more agressive climber than Wiggo and that was clearly shown in the Vuelta. Role on the Tour.

As for the Giro, Wiggo won't have someone like Froome propping him up in the mountains and I just have a feeling he'll just about podium. The weather in Italy can also be a lot more unpredictable compared to France.
  • elstoof 30 Apr 2013 10:56:00 6,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm expecting the Colombian duo to put a lot of work in for Wiggins, those boys can really climb. Both in the top ten of last years edition so they've got the pedigree.
  • pistol 30 Apr 2013 11:03:13 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I'm expecting the Colombian duo to put a lot of work in for Wiggins, those boys can really climb. Both in the top ten of last years edition so they've got the pedigree.
    Yeah, but Astana will also be bringing out some top climbers in support of Nibali and my hunch is Nibali will be ultra motivated being his home Tour.

Also, Hesjedal and Rodriguez could also cause problems, although Hesjedal especially hasn't really shown great form so far, and pulled out of last week's race, he reckon's to save his legs for the Giro. Rodriguez is tailor made for Giro and only missed out by a few seconds last year that he lost on the TT. He's been in the UK this week for the first time ever, testing in the wind tunnel at Silverstone. He also seems very motivated.

I would put Rodriguez ahead of Wiggo at the Giro but we'll see.
  • elstoof 30 Apr 2013 11:24:55 6,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nibali's my prediction too, haven't seen much of Hesjedal apart from his turn at the LBL but then I don't remember seeing much of him at this point last year either. Rodriguez got himself pretty isolated and Garmin did a good job to put Martin in that position which bodes well for their Giro campaign.
  • Salaman 1 May 2013 11:57:48 18,953 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    His Mrs on the other hand ...
    Well that wasn't the longest of waits then. =)

https://twitter.com/michellecound

Michelle Cound ‏@michellecound 30 Apr
    Chris & Brad on the same start line, in the same kit? Mmmmmm… doubt it!
    Michelle Cound ‏@michellecound 21h
    To those claiming that this Wiggins/Froome thing is some sort of publicity stunt, you are wrong.
    Michelle Cound ‏@michellecound 21h
    I look forward to @TeamSky clearing up this mess (ASAP) #fedup
    Put a fucking leash on your lady Chris. :-)

Edited by Salaman at 11:58:14 01-05-2013
  • Dougs 1 May 2013 11:59:21 67,024 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's more than a little inappropriate!
  • Psychotext 1 May 2013 12:34:50 53,915 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've hit a bit of a fitness hump when moving up my progression of trail difficulty. I'm hoping that'll improve in time (I really have no idea where my "peak" is), but for the moment I've decided that as long as the ascent isn't too technical I wont be walking a single step.

Even if that means stopping every 5 minutes to die. :D
  • Salaman 1 May 2013 12:35:38 18,953 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So with the giro starting Saturday, does anyone want to join a velogames fantasy league?

Velogames.com

League Code: 01125018

You need to sign in, set up a team and once your team is completed, it's listed under your login details.
    Click the team and at the bottom right of the page there's a "league manager" section that you can use to sign up.
  • elstoof 1 May 2013 13:25:12 6,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whenever I have a dispute at work my wife likes to come in and mouth off to my bosses too, and it's not at all embarrassing for me.
  • elstoof 1 May 2013 15:51:10 6,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cock it, I've been mulling it over for long enough and I think it's time I just pulled the trigger on a Colnago Master. It's the 30th anniversary edition, I'm 30, it's obviously meant to be, and the art decor paint job has grown on me sufficiently. The only question is - red, black or blue?

http://www.colnago.com/master/
  • Psychotext 1 May 2013 15:53:22 53,915 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I quite like the black one. The accent colours work really well on it.
  • Page

of 347 First / Last