of 348 First / Last

• pistol 24 Apr 2013 15:07:06 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :-P
  • Trafford 24 Apr 2013 15:10:54 5,733 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I hate canal tow paths, always use as a last resort.
  • Psychotext 24 Apr 2013 15:19:29 53,933 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    You are correct, navigating london like that took a long time. Once out on the open country roads the journey is mostly flat and down hill save for a 4-5 inclines and the dreaded Devils Dyke!
    Just for the hell of it, here's your route with an elevation profile: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2400358
  • MikeP 24 Apr 2013 15:25:31 1,813 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's some pretty damn good going on speed and climbing.

I averaged about 15.5 over the 100 miles and 9,000ft of the LBL. I could have gone a little faster, but the amount of effort required to move the average up gets proportionally harder and harder.

I can get up to just under 18 mph over 60 rolling miles solo. It'd be interesting to ride properly with a group to see what sort of a difference it made.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Salaman 24 Apr 2013 15:46:15 18,957 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Padding! :D I was going for the 80 miles! As a Londoner, it's a lot less dangerous getting lost in there then in the middle of nowhere without mobile reception.
    You make loss of mobile reception sound like running out of oxygen on a space suit. :-)
    It's handy to check gps on the phone but without you'll still manage. There is an element of unpredictability if you're in a place you don't know too well and you have to guess which road to take. Could take you straight there, could be a 5 mile detour.
    Does make sense to put the padding in London although I'd be keen to get out of London on the bike and onto country roads.

Then again .. I've seen the country roads and the drivers I wouldn't feel much safer on them. I was shocked at how reckless UK drivers zip past cyclist who have no choice but to be in the road due to a complete lack of any kind of cycling infrastructure.
  • elstoof 24 Apr 2013 16:02:03 6,981 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    London's not bad for cycling at all when you set off at 6am, some nice routes and climbs in North London ;)
  • Salaman 24 Apr 2013 19:59:43 18,957 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wiggo's Giro support team:
    Dario Cataldo
    Salvatore Puccio
    Sergio Henao
    Rigoberto Uran
    Christian Knees
    Danny Pate
    Kanstantin Siutsou
    Xabier Zandio

I honestly only recognise Uran and Knees' names.
    Supposedly quite strong team though.
  • elstoof 24 Apr 2013 20:36:28 6,981 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Henao is good value, second in last years Giro young rider classification to Uran. Finished well at LBL last year too.
  • Dougs 25 Apr 2013 13:57:27 67,140 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It seems (what I think is my) saddle cradle has sheared in half. I've glued it, as it was a clean break but I don't fancy it will hold once put under torque. Are they sold separately, or am I looking at a new seat post? Can't see them out there...

Edit: It's the bottom clamp of the rail clamps, basically. Found one for another seat post, but not mine...

Edited by Dougs at 14:07:14 25-04-2013
  • Deleted user 25 April 2013 18:15:59
    Did my first lengthy cycle today. 61 mile loop out of Bristol down to Clevedon, to The Ethicurean, round the lakes and back up the cycle path. Was lovely fixed.
  • caligari 25 Apr 2013 21:18:36 17,022 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My 'Ass Savers' turned up today - one for the Swift and one for the B17.

Thank Gawd they're flexible - the postman had really crammed them into my mailbox. Matron!
  • Trafford 25 Apr 2013 23:11:51 5,733 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Speaking of Brooks, they're bringing out a Vegan saddle.
    Hopeful testers apply here.

http://brooksengland.com/cambium/

Edited by Trafford at 23:32:19 25-04-2013
  • caligari 25 Apr 2013 23:33:24 17,022 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Speaking of Brooks, they're bringing out a Vegan saddle.
    Hopeful testers apply here.

http://brooksengland.com/cambium/
    Very cool - thanks Trafford!
  • Deleted user 26 April 2013 11:28:30
    @caligari You’ll love it. Really convenient.
  • Deleted user 26 April 2013 11:38:18
    Salaman wrote:
    Wiggo's Giro support team:
    Dario Cataldo
    Salvatore Puccio
    Sergio Henao
    Rigoberto Uran
    Christian Knees
    Danny Pate
    Kanstantin Siutsou
    Xabier Zandio

I honestly only recognise Uran and Knees' names.
    Supposedly quite strong team though.
    That seems quite strong.

Cataldo has been pretty strong for sky this season, his been in pretty much all the races wiggo has raced. Seems a very good domistique with a potential to be a tour winner in the future.

Henao again is strong young rider, often see him and uran racing together. Similar types of rider.

Siutsou won a mountain finish climb last week as well at the grio trentino. He was also the unfortunate kid who broke his leg i think at the TDF last year.

Not sure on Puccio, pate and zandio. I recogonise the last two from other teams in previous years i think, but not sure what they bring.
  • Dougs 26 Apr 2013 14:29:17 67,140 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sigh. New seatpost it is then. Any I should avoid? Don't think I need to worry about weight etc, but would be useful if there have been any issues with certain brands...
  • MikeP 26 Apr 2013 14:37:47 1,813 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Sigh. New seatpost it is then. Any I should avoid? Don't think I need to worry about weight etc, but would be useful if there have been any issues with certain brands...
    FSA, Easton and Ritchey all make reliable posts at a variety of price points. Don't go for the System X ones, the finish is pretty poor, IMO.

• Dougs 26 Apr 2013 14:41:42 67,140 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers, will check them out. LBS has one for my bike in stock, so may just go for that given I don't really want to be without it, but just wanted to check prices etc.
  • elstoof 26 Apr 2013 15:37:18 6,981 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ritchey are my go to guys when I need finishing kit, mainly because I like their bar shapes, they make a seat post mast topper which I need and, crucially, I'm a big fag who likes things to match.

It's a good thing their stuff is well built and finished then. Their cork bar tape is also the best I've found.
  • caligari 26 Apr 2013 20:51:24 17,022 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @lukejones - I did love it! I woke up this morning to find that it had been raining pretty heavily. Popped the Ass Saver on my road bike and cycled in - no wet behind when I arrived at work!

Such a simple idea - these guys deserve to make mega-bucks.
  • mal 26 Apr 2013 21:43:32 22,448 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You guys are worried about the finish on your seat post? Or is 'seat post' some new gay slang I'm not up on?
    Salaman wrote:
    Then again .. I've seen the country roads and the drivers I wouldn't feel much safer on them. I was shocked at how reckless UK drivers zip past cyclist who have no choice but to be in the road due to a complete lack of any kind of cycling infrastructure.
    I've been quite impressed with the drivers in the wilds of Essex. They seem to consider me and my bike as some sort of wheeled horse, and slow down to pass me and leave plenty of room. It's quite disconcerting as a habitual city rider.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• MikeP 26 Apr 2013 22:48:47 1,813 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, when the logo scratches off as soon as you look at it, and the anodising appears to be made of cheap marker pen, I do.

I agree with Elstoof - can't go far wrong with Ritchey kit. Lots of choice, lots of price points, but all really nice gear.

• Deleted user 27 April 2013 00:29:18
    @caligari They really do :)
  • Trafford 27 Apr 2013 15:56:57 5,733 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have a System Ex seat post, on reflection it does look cheap on the Fargo. I needed an XL and it was in stock. Must replace at some point.

Just got an invite to my local shop's 2nd birthday party. Or beer, pizza and people from Surly with demo bikes.
    I'm going to try out a Krampus oh yes!
  • Megapocalypse 28 Apr 2013 13:20:19 5,383 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    First sportive complete! The Wiggle Up and Downs

Only did the short version, which was a bit demoralising when it came to the course split and the majority kept on the standard/epic route but think I made the right decision. The final proper climb destroyed me and resulted in a few stops, though I didn't walk it like some which made me feel good.

Disappointed to not get a silver medal, missing out by about 10 minutes, which as well as a couple stops I can put down to having to stop and tighten a cleat (will remember to check those before I start next time) and missing a badly sign posted turn right at the end. Gives me something to aim for though.

Need to find another one to do now. :D

Edited by Megapocalypse at 13:23:03 28-04-2013
  • elstoof 28 Apr 2013 13:26:40 6,981 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good work, glad you enjoyed it. Be warned it doesn't get any easier, you just go faster ;)
  • MikeP 28 Apr 2013 20:35:51 1,813 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice one Mega. I know that final climb on Whitedown Lane, and it's not an easy one at all.

Sounds like you made a good choice on the route. You want it to be a challenge, but not to murder you :)

I'm off to the Isle of Wight this weekend to do the Randonnee on Sunday . It's about 65 miles around the whole island. Me and the missus are doing it together. She's been putting in some pretty hard training, so provided the weather's not too evil it should be a grand day out.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2346920

Also Ridewithgps is a fantastic site, only recently started using it.

• Dougs 28 Apr 2013 21:28:02 67,140 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is it randonee time again?! Christ, I really should get my act in gear and do the one on my doorstep! As it is, I'm away again. You cycling down again too? Should make an EG trip out of it one year....
  • Psychotext 29 Apr 2013 03:37:49 53,933 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    Disappointed to not get a silver medal, missing out by about 10 minutes
    That's another thing I think mountain biking might be missing. I'd love to challenge myself to hit certain times on certain trails but there's just nothing organised like that (and I guess tarmac is a hell of a lot less variable than your average hillside).
  • Salaman 29 Apr 2013 10:03:34 18,957 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    After my run around city bike was stolen last July, I've been bike-less throughout the fall and winter months. My parent's brought me a spare bike they had in the shed but it was thrown together from various parts of other bikes and a horrible ride.

I went to sports discount the other day and saw a fairly cheap city bike, so went to pick that up last weekend. On Sunday I went into town and then on to volleyball. I checked my time going home to get an idea of how long it'd take me to bike the distance.
    15 minutes with very casual riding.

I went from home to volleyball last night and it appears I completely overlooked I was going slightly downhill for about 50% of the way last week as I was going home.

PFFF! What a slog. It's nearly flat around here but those hardly noticeable 1-2% inclines suddenly become very noticeable when you're on a bike. So I now know for future reference. Going = 20 minutes with lots of effort, coming home - 15 effortless minutes. :-)
  • Page

of 348 First / Last