The cycling thread Page 211

• Page

of 322 First / Last

• Salaman 18 Apr 2013 14:13:15 18,249 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah Lotto-Belisol had them in some of the wet, rainy, cold races.

And Rythm ... overturned cars? Felled trees?
    Que?
  • Rhythm 18 Apr 2013 14:51:57 2,375 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    And Rythm ... overturned cars? Felled trees?
    Que?
    Windy here today :-) First part of my journey was blocked by traffic gawping at an overturned car then the second half was interrupted by:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIHZivTCYAEVLIW.jpg
  • MikeP 18 Apr 2013 15:57:44 1,676 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I believe Sky went for a separate training regime for their Classics riders this year. Hasn't Thomas binned it in three of the races at crucial points too?

2nd place in the Wallone wasn't too bad, but like any pro team they really want to wind, obviously. I think Stannard got mugged in Milan - San Remo, he did too much work.

Wiggins looks in decent shape, I wonder if he's sand-bagging a bit. If he really only cares about the Giro there's no point in revealing your true strength to anyone ahead of time.
  • Trafford 18 Apr 2013 17:54:05 5,270 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Despite living 5 minutes walk from the office, I'm doing a 15 mile loop every morning to keep fit and put a smile on my face.
    I get a burned out car on mine and miles of lovely gravel grind.

http://db.tt/NBMQb1kv

http://db.tt/pK7HxuWX
  • caligari 18 Apr 2013 21:18:21 16,832 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    They're pretty good by all accounts, a pro team was seen riding with them this season albeit the Selle San Marco branded ones which are 2 quid more expensive. Much better than a rattley race blade banging into your wheel all the time if you ask me.

There's a recent review of them on road.cc you might be interested in reading.
    Thanks, sir.

I ended up getting one for my Swift and one for my B17. It'll be nice to remove the unwieldy guard from the back of my Singe-speed.
  • caligari 18 Apr 2013 21:18:52 16,832 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    urban wrote:
    I've bought one but it hasn't arrived just yet. Ordered on Sunday, looking forward to giving it a shot :D
    Pics when it arrives! :)
  • elstoof 18 Apr 2013 22:40:05 6,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just ordered some Salice 006 sunglasses so I can pose it up like Cipollini.
  • Salaman 19 Apr 2013 13:51:59 18,249 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh for fucks sake.
    Some nature protection organisation kicks up a fuss each year about pro cyclist chucking out their bottles and gels wrappers and whatnot in the race.

There's some legislation in place in the southern part of Belgium that is meant to enforce some sort of nature protection/no litter policy.
    These guys lodge formal complaints against individual riders, which the police then are compelled to follow up on.

They're at it again this year. Based on TV images from last year's race, they have lodged complaints against about 30 riders who thew away stuff outside designated zones.
    Naturally the TV camera's capture the front riders in the peloton, breakaway riders, etc. So all the main favourites and their helpers are being targeted.

Police visited hotels from a number of teams and gathered personal data on riders (address and the likes). There's talk of possibly being banned from this year's race.
    I think it probably won't come to that but what a hassle.

I appreciate 100+ riders coming through and chucking stuff into the sides of the road isn't ideal but they're racing. What do you expect them to do? Stick an empty bottle in their back pocket and then drop back to the team car to give it to them?
  • Psychotext 19 Apr 2013 14:12:24 52,802 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They should really just hire people to follow afterwards picking up all the bottles (and sell them on ebay).

No meaningful excuse for throwing gel wrappers though. I can carry mine when I'm out, nothing stopping them doing it.

Edited by Psychotext at 14:12:37 19-04-2013
  • elstoof 19 Apr 2013 14:16:38 6,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • elstoof 19 Apr 2013 14:16:52 6,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought crowd members would be keen on picking up some free bidons after they've even chucked. Bloody Walloons, this would never happen in Flanders.
  • Salaman 19 Apr 2013 16:18:06 18,249 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The wrappers. I guess you can shove them in your back pocket. It's not a huge effort. Although when you see them pedalling furiously, going 45-55 kmh or thereabouts it's usually a case of tear gel with teeth, squeeze, then chuck and get hands back on the handlebars asap to not loose momentum. And in the middle of the peloton you want to avoid all distractions to avoid crashes. Fumbling to get a wrapper in your back pocket is probably not a good idea then.

Bidons are normally picked up by bystanders but I guess not all of them get thrown near someone, so there's always a bunch left behind no doubt.

Either way .. it's a bit silly.

I do remember in the Amster gold race last weekend where they were showing some rider who was hanging off the team car for discussions with the sports director. They gave him a bottle and some bar to eat. He gave his wrapper back to the driver, which was noticed in commentary as it was nice of the guy to think of doing it.

edit: apparently the risk of not being able to start this year was soem made up tail but quite a few people ended up with a 500 fine.

Edited by Salaman at 17:57:13 19-04-2013
  • caligari 19 Apr 2013 21:24:10 16,832 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone have any experience with Halo Aero Rage wheels?

I've just purchased a pair from eBay. I was looking to replace the stock 'Charge Dish' wheels on my single-speed.
  • elstoof 19 Apr 2013 21:42:43 6,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not ridden them but no ones ever complained about them to me. Strong enough and sensible looking, decent weight for the retail price. Don't think you'll have any concerns, just make sure they're true before you set of on their maiden voyage.
  • elstoof 21 Apr 2013 13:07:20 6,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wonder how Mike, our man in Belgium, got on yesterday.
  • Salaman 21 Apr 2013 13:20:25 18,249 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good question, just tuning in for he live broadcast now.
    Good collection of riders today!
  • Salaman 21 Apr 2013 13:59:06 18,249 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stockeu looks like bitch of a climb. Curious to see if Mike tamed it. :-)
  • elstoof 21 Apr 2013 15:12:03 6,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I caught a bit of that climb earlier, quite the bottle neck at the base. Nothing worse than stopping and waiting in line to start the ascent to bugger up your rhythm.
  • grey_matters 21 Apr 2013 16:15:56 3,384 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dan Martin wins L-B-L! Incredible stuff.
  • elstoof 21 Apr 2013 16:46:06 6,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Perfectly executed finish by old craggy face there. The way he closed the gap so calmly was impressive, then that burst out the saddle was unanswerable.
  • gang_of_bitches 21 Apr 2013 17:01:03 4,937 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    Dan Martin wins L-B-L! Incredible stuff.
    Didn't see that coming, got it recorded, will be interested to see how it plays out.

Did anyone watch the final stage of the Giro Del Trentino? Impressive win for Nibali, having said Wiggins had the measure of him a day or so ago I'm forced to eat my words, even without his bike malfunction I'm not convinced Wiggo would have caught him. I also wonder what impact not being able to ride the oval chainwheel is having on his riding.
  • Trafford 21 Apr 2013 22:04:41 5,270 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That was a great win.
    The Ardennes looks gorgeous.
  • elstoof 21 Apr 2013 22:34:19 6,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wiggins should, hopefully, be holding back something in reserve for 2 weeks time. Can't believe it's almost the Giro already, earlier start than usual. Hesjedal looked in good shape for his time on the break today too.
  • Salaman 22 Apr 2013 09:09:32 18,249 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bah. Friends called me up if I wanted to join them downtown for drinks around 3:30/4pm. I thought "what the heck, it's sunny out. I'll watch it tonight". Headed off when they had 80 or 60k to go. Came home after volleyball at 9pm to find I never actually recorded it. DOH!

So that's it for the classics then. :-/
    On to the giro and the tour.
  • Megapocalypse 22 Apr 2013 10:34:09 5,229 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Meh, think it's time to start thinking about a new bike. Had mine for 4 years now and put it in for a repair as the gears were screwed. Apparently although they got it working is not pretty and everything is worn and needs replacing. I'm not paying for that as I was thinking about a new one anyway.

Time to find some money.
  • PrivateFloyd 22 Apr 2013 11:27:41 4,007 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looking for some advice please chaps.

Assuming it is in full working order, and had a recent service what would one guess-timate a value of this bike?

Not alot of info regrettably. Possibly late 80's 5 speed Raleigh racer. Recent service, full working order. Quite similar to a Raleigh Sun GT10 but not sure.

Anywho, any estimates?

Goat is hungry.....

• PrivateFloyd 22 Apr 2013 11:29:59 4,007 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    that link might not work and its not letting me edit.

This one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzc85jpjrwwo9w7/2013-04-22%2008.44.05.png

Goat is hungry.....

• elstoof 22 Apr 2013 11:51:09 6,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    those sorts of things go for around the 200 mark on the bay and gumtree, depends on how good the steel is looking. are you thinking of buying? take the seatpost off and have a peek inside the frame to look for internal rusting as well as on the surface where paint has been compromised. Steel Raleighs should still be good to ride as long as its decent steel, can't see any 531 sticker on the seat tube from the picture though.
  • PrivateFloyd 22 Apr 2013 11:55:20 4,007 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I got it for 33 O_o

Seller indicated no rust on the frame as I did ask before bidding.

Going to pick it up tomorrow so will update then!

Goat is hungry.....

• elstoof 22 Apr 2013 13:03:44 6,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can't go wrong with that price.
  • Page

of 322 First / Last