The cycling thread Page 210

• Page

of 376 First / Last

• Monsieur_Blade 15 Apr 2013 13:28:19 357 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm after a bit of advice from you guys:

I bought my first ever road bike last year and I absolutely love it! I've now decided to sell my old Gary Fisher Kaitai hybrid bike to a mate, but I don't want to just be left with a road bike.

I'm after a cheap but decent quality mountain bike that I can happily leave chained up in town (I wouldn't leave my Focus road bike anywhere!) but that would also be able to handle rough trails.

My budgets 250-350 and I've done a bit of research and like the look of the Saracen Tufftrax Disc 2013:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/saracen-tufftrax-disc-13

I also love the look of the Vitus Zircon III 2013, but it is a little out of my price range:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=81004

Has anyone owned/ridden either of the above or have you got any other good suggestions of a good (and cheap) mountain bike?
  • Dougs 15 Apr 2013 14:04:48 69,542 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Only takes one bike, in which case I'd be incline to just take a wheel off and chuck it in the boot personally. If its one bike to take its probably only going to be me in the car so space won't be an issue.
    Ah, this is for family trips away etc, where the car will be stacked, so looking for a carrier to go alongside a narrow roofbox. It's possible in the future there might be 2 bikes I suppose (which I think would just squeeze on, will check with the retailer I'm looking at). But in all probability, just mine. Could always change systems if I end up taking 4 or something.

Cheers Wacko and JC himself!

Edited by Dougs at 14:07:54 15-04-2013
  • Dougs 15 Apr 2013 14:32:05 69,542 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As an aside, seems I did have the magnet the wrong way round....but it made no difference, still a third short on distance (and therefore speed is out of whack). Confused.

Anyway, the HR monitor is at least showing me where I'm not pushing myself hard enough at times to be in the right zone for CV. Need to up average cadence too.
  • Wacko_AK 15 Apr 2013 14:54:24 207 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Monsieur_Blade I'd go for the Vitus as it has a better spec than the saracen although at that price range you will always have compromises. I have the BB5 brakes on my CX bike and they have been fine.
  • elstoof 15 Apr 2013 15:11:21 8,325 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Which wheel diameter did you put in Dougs?
  • Dougs 15 Apr 2013 15:14:10 69,542 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    700c, 44 tyre - my size wheel/tyre doesn't appear on any of the Sigma charts, so used this to get the value to enter.

Edit: Hmm, seems I have been a spacker and entered the wrong one. Doh.

Edited by Dougs at 15:15:43 15-04-2013
  • elstoof 15 Apr 2013 15:27:53 8,325 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    26 wheel? ;-)
  • Dougs 15 Apr 2013 15:43:24 69,542 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nah, just misreading it entirely. These sleepless nights aren't half getting to me! Good to be back out though, missed it all winter. Will need to sort my winter gear out and grow some balls for next winter!
  • elstoof 15 Apr 2013 16:09:55 8,325 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tell me about it, ours has been sick for a month now so she's up with coughing fits every couple of hours. What with that, the weather, work trips and a couple of impromptu hosptial trips I've had my first leg over the bike in weeks this morning. Looking forward to my ride home in 20 minutes \o/
  • MikeP 15 Apr 2013 22:27:30 2,080 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    How does it work out with getting the bike on the eurostar Mike?
    They changed it recently. You now have to prebook them if they don't fold down into a case less than 85cm.

It's a bit ouch, at 30 each way, but overall it's still the cheapest way to get there. They get loaded onto the same train as you travel on. Mine's going in a bike case.

Simple in Belgium, you just buy a bike ticket for 5 euros.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• mal 15 Apr 2013 22:34:00 22,843 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Free in the UK. Certain websites let you book it when you book the ticket, although Virgin at least require you to phone them up after booking on t'internet. Welcome to the 21st century, Virgin.

In practice there's just a bike rack bolted inside the guard's van, alongise those velcro straps they use to stop them banging around.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 16 April 2013 09:26:18
    @Monsieur_Blade Haha, I was just revisiting this thread to report my purchase of the Vitus Vee 29er. Vitus stuff's getting great reviews at places like BikeRadar and Road.cc so for the price I thouht I'd give it a go. I should be able to give some opinions on it tomorrow

My Specialized Sirrus has probably had its last failure this week, hence the purchase of a new bike. It's served me pretty well for 5 years, ~20k miles. We've gone through a ton of tyres and brake pads and even a wheel and derailleur hanger. I converted her to single speed after winter commuting killed the gears and she was never anything else than a fast, lightweight ride.

Ultimately though I don't think I'm built for the "road" hybrid model, so I've opted for the Vitus Vee. It was either that or rebuild my old Hardrock frame as a single speed commuter but for the price I thought I'd go new.

Plus it has Space Invaders!
  • Monsieur_Blade 16 Apr 2013 09:46:09 357 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Rhythm yeah I've hears really good things about vitus too. The vee caught my eye too (and i love the space invaders!) but I'm looking for something a little more rugged that can handle trails and really rough ground.

As i said, I'm really tempted by the virus zircon III, I just wish it was 100 cheaper! I just can't justify spending 450 on the zircon after buying my focus road bike.

Edited by Monsieur_Blade at 10:16:13 16-04-2013
  • Trafford 16 Apr 2013 09:58:18 5,975 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rhythm
    Nice one, single speed 29er is a pure type of fun to ride. What gearing is it?
    Checking google images, looks like at least 42 up front, fast!
  • Deleted user 16 April 2013 10:08:50
    @Trafford 39/18. The BCD matches that of my old frame so I may find myself swapping for my old 44 up front but I'll give it a go and see how it rides first. That said, I might leave it low so I can play a bit more - opens it up for the odd woodland trail at lunch
  • Trafford 16 Apr 2013 10:18:53 5,975 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rhythm
    Yeah, I think 39 could be ideal, 44 would make you hurt on the hills.
    My Karate Monkey came with 36/18 stock and I suffer on the smooth stuff. General mixed terrain though and it rips along.
  • Deleted user 16 April 2013 10:43:26
    @Trafford I was running quite high on my old setup - 44/16. Seemed to work well for me though, even on the climb on the way home. The Vee promises to be a lot more fun though ;-)
  • gang_of_bitches 17 Apr 2013 14:55:30 5,644 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not seen much of Wiggins' rides so far this year, but he and Sky are looking pretty tasty in the Giro del Trentino, bodes well for the big Giro.
  • Deleted user 17 April 2013 21:00:14
    It's here and it's *lovely*. Big ups to CRC for incredibly good packaging, a great pack of tools and freebies, plus a pot of touch-up paint to hide dings later down the line! :-D

Edited by Rhythm at 22:45:12 17-04-2013
  • Deleted user 18 April 2013 08:53:46
    Morning report. Felled trees and overturned cars made this commute a little different to normal but the bike runs really well. Very impressed.
  • Salaman 18 Apr 2013 09:00:25 19,626 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Not seen much of Wiggins' rides so far this year, but he and Sky are looking pretty tasty in the Giro del Trentino, bodes well for the big Giro.
    I've not followed any early season races outside the current run of classics, San-Remo, Strade Bianchi, Ronde Van Vlaanderen, Paris-Roubaix ...
    Not seen much from Sky in those races. There was some mention by the commentators that Sky's "new approach" to their rider's preparation seems to have not paid off so far.
    Any idea what they were on about?
  • elstoof 18 Apr 2013 09:31:15 8,325 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is wiggins not still recovering from his tussle with a white van? Might explain why he's not on the scene.
  • elstoof 18 Apr 2013 09:33:27 8,325 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    There was some mention by the commentators that Sky's "new approach" to their rider's preparation seems to have not paid off so far.
    Sacking all those drug linked staff members at the end of last season no doubt.
  • gang_of_bitches 18 Apr 2013 10:12:33 5,644 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:

I've not followed any early season races outside the current run of classics, San-Remo, Strade Bianchi, Ronde Van Vlaanderen, Paris-Roubaix ...
    Not seen much from Sky in those races. There was some mention by the commentators that Sky's "new approach" to their rider's preparation seems to have not paid off so far.
    Consensus seems to be that the one day squad with Richie Porte et al haven't performed as hoped and that is in large part a result of having been put on a similar winter training plan to the multi stage riders which has resulted in burnout.

Duplicating a season as successful as last year was always going to be a hard ask and I don't think you can discount the effect of other teams adopting a lot of Sky practices and closing the gap.
  • gang_of_bitches 18 Apr 2013 10:15:15 5,644 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Is wiggins not still recovering from his tussle with a white van? Might explain why he's not on the scene.
    He's performing well enough, absolutely bossed Sky's team time trial effort two days back and then had no trouble keeping up with Nibali on a tough stage yesterday.
  • elstoof 18 Apr 2013 10:24:41 8,325 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fair enough, I've been looking at the classics more than anything else of late anyway.
  • Salaman 18 Apr 2013 10:40:53 19,626 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Consensus seems to be that the one day squad with Richie Porte et al haven't performed as hoped and that is in large part a result of having been put on a similar winter training plan to the multi stage riders which has resulted in burnout.
    That might be it. They way they were talking it seemed as if most teams stick to some formula to prepare for the classics but Sky went "We've taken a completely different approach which we feel will bring us the best results" but then they've been largely absent from the action. Leading to the conculsion that their "experiment" with preparation method had failed a bit.

It's always tough to follow a stellar season. People unrealistically take the exceptional season as a new benchmark and judge the next season by it. Very odd way of thinking I find. I'm sure Sky will come into it's own with the Giro/Tour/Vuelta.
  • caligari 18 Apr 2013 12:08:21 17,198 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think we mentioned these a few months ago, but has anyone ordered anything from 'Ass-Savers' before?

http://ass-savers.com/

I think I'm going to try out their Brookshield model. I love the fact that you can fold it away under the saddle when it's not in use.

Edited by caligari at 12:09:08 18-04-2013
  • elstoof 18 Apr 2013 12:11:50 8,325 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They're pretty good by all accounts, a pro team was seen riding with them this season albeit the Selle San Marco branded ones which are 2 quid more expensive. Much better than a rattley race blade banging into your wheel all the time if you ask me.

There's a recent review of them on road.cc you might be interested in reading.

Edited by elstoof at 12:12:52 18-04-2013
  • urban 18 Apr 2013 13:02:07 11,070 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've bought one but it hasn't arrived just yet. Ordered on Sunday, looking forward to giving it a shot :D
  • Page

of 376 First / Last