The cycling thread Page 209

• Page

of 348 First / Last

• elstoof 11 Apr 2013 15:31:45 6,949 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd have thought range wouldn't be an issue. Is it possible to change the frequency the signal uses? Might be getting interference from somewhere.
  • Dougs 11 Apr 2013 15:37:35 67,029 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Having bothered to look at the instructions again, it's possible it's out of the 30 degree angle they recommend, but as I say, if it was then surely it wouldn't register at all. Don't think you can change the frequency.
  • elstoof 11 Apr 2013 15:39:43 6,949 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How about the magnet, it's not... Back to front is it?
  • Dougs 11 Apr 2013 15:49:19 67,029 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not as far as I can see - although it's not entirely clear so anything is possible! Will see if I can narrow the angle first and then alter that if still no joy! Cheers. Stupid things. Cadence seems fine though.
  • Deleted user 12 April 2013 11:00:10
    What do you guys think of 'Pinnacle' bikes. I believe they are Evans Cycles own brand?
  • gang_of_bitches 12 Apr 2013 18:52:20 5,447 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alipan wrote:
    What do you guys think of 'Pinnacle' bikes. I believe they are Evans Cycles own brand?
    Not a brand I've ever ridden or that have even come up in my research for buying bikes. Plenty of reviews of various models here.
  • pistol 12 Apr 2013 19:28:54 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    lukejones wrote:
    Going for my first 50 miler in a couple of weeks. Never done that kind of distance before. Any tips?
    50 miles can be done on a decent breakfast and a couple of bottles of water if you pave yourself. If its your first time just take your time and perhaps have a flapjack or energy bar half way round. It's only when you want to do 50 miles fast that you'll been to think more about fueling.

Edited by pistol at 19:29:30 12-04-2013
  • urban 12 Apr 2013 21:27:00 10,938 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Man hole covers on FUCKING CORNERS. Fuck you fucking civi engineer man, you are a dick.

Didn't fall btw, just know that most will have slid across them, it's not fun.

Edited by urban at 21:27:29 12-04-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 12 Apr 2013 21:32:42 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Howdy cycle folks.

I may be moving soon to a place that is ideal for cycling. I've not used a bike much in a long time bar a charity cycle event where I did 12 miles back in 2010.

If I go I'd like to get a bike for commuting and riding around the city, but I have no idea what brand or styles are good/bad. Would £250-450 get a decent enough model? Any recommendations great-fully received! Thanks
  • elstoof 12 Apr 2013 22:07:55 6,949 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    urban wrote:
    Man hole covers on FUCKING CORNERS. Fuck you fucking civi engineer man, you are a dick.

Didn't fall btw, just know that most will have slid across them, it's not fun.
    I've slipped on a wet one when some tool stepped into the road and I had to swerve to avoid him. Nasty, you can see it happen like you're reading the future, but rather go down solo then have the tangle of limbs and components to deal with.
  • elstoof 12 Apr 2013 22:12:18 6,949 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder

If you're after a road bike with drop bars and gears, the Triban 3 from Decathlon is about the best way to spend 300 quid on a bike.

If you prefer some sort of fixie urban warrior steed then you'll have to spend some time hanging out in trendy bike shops and get them to put something together for your budget while you get down to the important business of growing the sort of mustache you'd find on a 1920's strongman and stock up on deep v neck tee shirts.
  • RobTheBuilder 12 Apr 2013 22:22:37 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @elstoof Haha thanks for the advice, will take a look.

Hmm, a moustache you say. I've always wondered if I could make the mario look work...
  • Trafford 13 Apr 2013 10:44:06 5,721 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Alipan
    Quite well specced for the price point I understand, I'm not much of a component whore though.
    My ex got one a few years back, she was after a 2 season old Trek she'd earmarked on line, which turned out to be out of stock. They were that apologetic they let her have a Pinnacle at nearly twice the value for the same price. My point is that the margin is quite high and they want to shift them. Try and strike a deal maybe..
    It's a nice bike also.
  • Deleted user 14 April 2013 16:23:57
    @pistol Tremendous, thanks for the info :)
  • Salaman 14 Apr 2013 17:21:17 18,953 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    @elstoof Nope, it's just a sportive-style ride, the day before the actual LBL race. You can make a charity donation, but it's not assumed, they just do it 'cos the race is the day after.

There's an option to do the full 270km, if you're a total lunatic.

http://sport.be.msn.com/lblcyclo/2013/nl/

Just booked a room in Liege, staying on the 19th and 20th of April, which gives me the option of staying to watch the race. Ibis Hotels rock, you can cancel at really short notice if you need to. Apparently the accommodation is the thing that sells out fastest.

Fancy taking part?
    You're welcome to come watch the race at mine if you're not staying in Liege. If they finish around five, you'd be in Calais towards 7 or 7:30. Although I guess watching it on TV you could do anywhere. You're better off taking a stroll down to the start/finish area to hang out there for the day.
  • MikeP 15 Apr 2013 08:00:50 1,800 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's a very kind offer Salaman, but I'm going to be hanging out in Liege with some friends for the race and then getting the Eurostar home.

Should be good, at least it looks like it may be warmer than Flanders & Roubaix!

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Salaman 15 Apr 2013 08:32:43 18,953 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That sounds like an excellent day out. Although you might be a bit fatigued from the previous day, so maybe find a spot near a pub so you can sit, nip out when the riders go by and then go sit and watch again. ;-)
  • elstoof 15 Apr 2013 09:25:11 6,949 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How does it work out with getting the bike on the eurostar Mike?
  • Dougs 15 Apr 2013 09:37:02 67,029 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finally getting round to buying roof bars and carrier....anyone use the Thule 591 ProRide?
  • elstoof 15 Apr 2013 12:06:57 6,949 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only takes one bike, in which case I'd be incline to just take a wheel off and chuck it in the boot personally. If its one bike to take its probably only going to be me in the car so space won't be an issue.
  • Triggerhappytel 15 Apr 2013 12:18:07 2,695 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have posted in this topic before, but not in a long while. I usually just stealth read. I've been cycling into work for just over the last year, it's about 3 miles each way, and I do enjoy it, although I've never sought to increase that distance. I took it up to lose weight and for general fitness, and while I'm still fat it's work in progress. But here's the thing: I'm thinking of signing up for the Great Kent Bike Ride on 30th June. I like the idea of having that as a target to aim towards, but even the short route is 35 miles. The furthest I've ridden to date is about 8 miles in one go. Would I be biting off more than I can chew? I'm not even sure if my bike is up to that kind of distance; it's a Giant Rincon which I bought from Gumtree last summer. I think I might train as much as I can without overdoing it in the next 6 or 8 weeks and then decide if I'm gonna take part.
  • Deleted user 15 April 2013 12:21:19
    @Triggerhappytel If itís a race, you might be... but if itís a steady ride then youíll be fine. 35 miles at a steady pace will probably take you under 2 hours... Iíd also think about getting a lighter bike if you can, itíll make a world of difference if itís a road ride.

I jumped from 2 miles to a 18 mile ride (just under an hour) and was fine.

If you can, go out on a 15 mile ride on Sunday morning, then up it to to 20 the week after. Youíll be surprised how easy it is.
  • Wacko_AK 15 Apr 2013 12:22:07 182 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    anyone use the Thule 591 ProRide?
    Yes, pretty much the de facto standard for decent carriers.

No issues with any of my bikes which range from a CX to a 180mm full sus with 2.5" tyres.
  • Megapocalypse 15 Apr 2013 12:28:51 5,373 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looking at doing some more night rides in the near future. Anyone able to recommend a decent rear light suitable for unlit roads? Bit worried my cheap one wont cut it.
  • elstoof 15 Apr 2013 12:29:11 6,949 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're comfortable doing 18 miles then te jump to 35 won't be that hard once you get down to it. You'll be in a pack as well so you'll have the wind advantage of the peloton to boot. I personally wouldn't enjoy riding that sort of distance on a mountain bike though, and would consider an entry level road bike as it should be a bit lighter, stiffer so more efficient and have gearing more suited to that sort of ride.
  • elstoof 15 Apr 2013 12:34:12 6,949 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cateye Rapid 5 should be good, I use a Rapid 3 in the city and I can use either the lower power side 2 LEDs or the very bright central LED to sap the battery for maximum visibility.
  • RobTheBuilder 15 Apr 2013 12:34:40 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I should add that I hadn't ridden a bike much in 12 years and I did a non-race 15-20 miles okay with no practice. So I imagine if you can do 20 miles ok then the extra wont be too bad
  • elstoof 15 Apr 2013 12:44:32 6,949 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One thing you'll appreciate on a sportive style ride like that is maintaining momentum. If your commute is stop start through traffic you'll be amazed how quickly and easily you blast through the 3 miles you typically ride, just like your cars mpg it's the constant acceleration and braking that really saps your energy.
  • christourlord 15 Apr 2013 12:45:40 2,498 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Finally getting round to buying roof bars and carrier....anyone use the Thule 591 ProRide?
    Keep in mind this carrier isn't suitable for carbon frames due to the clamp. Use the Outride 561 if you're worried about damaging your frame.
  • Megapocalypse 15 Apr 2013 12:48:58 5,373 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers elstoof. The Rapid 5 looks to be exactly what I want.
  • Page

of 348 First / Last