The cycling thread Page 206

• Page

of 366 First / Last

• Psychotext 27 Mar 2013 15:13:46 54,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    I've signed up to cycle the Ring of Kerry in July, it's a gorgeous mountain loop of 186km and it has to be done in a day! Thing is, I haven't cycled since last year ...

I am running a lot though, would usually run a half marathon each weekend and 10k or so during the week. My question is whether that matters? Must I start cycling training and forgo running or does each one compliment the other?
    Psychotext wrote:
    They're not particularly complimentary, no. Doesn't hurt in terms of fitness though obviously.

If you get on a bike an expect to do 186km without having cycled for a while then you're going to regret it... a lot. A century is considered a hard task for a lot of riders, and that doesn't sound like it's going to be an easy century.
    If it's this one then I doubt your chances without cycling specific training. Well, unless you plan on cycling for 16 hours anyway. ;)

Edited by Psychotext at 15:16:29 27-03-2013
  • BravoGolf Moderator 27 Mar 2013 15:20:15 12,746 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hehe, I better get training then :)
  • BravoGolf Moderator 27 Mar 2013 15:21:50 12,746 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's the one Psychotext. Looks like it's 14km shorter. See? Just posting about it has made it even easier!
  • Psychotext 27 Mar 2013 16:17:42 54,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On the bright side, it's pretty flat (that spike near the end is deceptive).

Edit - Though that may be because I'm used to looking at the ridiculous courses pistol keeps talking about. :D

Edited by Psychotext at 16:23:03 27-03-2013
  • pistol 27 Mar 2013 16:25:30 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    BravoGolf wrote:
    I've signed up to cycle the Ring of Kerry in July, it's a gorgeous mountain loop of 186km and it has to be done in a day! Thing is, I haven't cycled since last year ...

I am running a lot though, would usually run a half marathon each weekend and 10k or so during the week. My question is whether that matters? Must I start cycling training and forgo running or does each one compliment the other?
    Psychotext wrote:
    They're not particularly complimentary, no. Doesn't hurt in terms of fitness though obviously.

If you get on a bike an expect to do 186km without having cycled for a while then you're going to regret it... a lot. A century is considered a hard task for a lot of riders, and that doesn't sound like it's going to be an easy century.
    If it's this one then I doubt your chances without cycling specific training. Well, unless you plan on cycling for 16 hours anyway. ;)
    That's not a particularly difficult ride with a little pacing and common sense. I did 1000ft more climbing than that in 70 miles on Fri at pace. And it's for charity so I'm sure they'll be stops and it'll be very relaxed.
  • Psychotext 27 Mar 2013 16:40:35 54,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, but I don't think you actually understand the concept of being a normal human being any more. Some of us can't expect to do 105 miles having not stepped on a bike for 6 months. :p
  • urban 27 Mar 2013 18:02:40 10,976 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Had yet another full moon calamity today. Car in front of me at the traffic lights false started as I set off behind it. Both feet in my pedal cages, struggled to get either foot out as I came to a complete stop, fell to the pavement as about 20 banker pedestrians looked on. FML

Everyone's done it right?
  • Psychotext 27 Mar 2013 18:23:58 54,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thankfully not with people watching.
  • pistol 27 Mar 2013 18:48:21 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Yes, but I don't think you actually understand the concept of being a normal human being any more. Some of us can't expect to do 105 miles having not stepped on a bike for 6 months. :p
    Point taken...:)
  • MikeP 27 Mar 2013 19:01:12 1,935 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    urban wrote:
    Had yet another full moon calamity today. Car in front of me at the traffic lights false started as I set off behind it. Both feet in my pedal cages, struggled to get either foot out as I came to a complete stop, fell to the pavement as about 20 banker pedestrians looked on. FML

Everyone's done it right?
    Early experience with SPDs. Pulled up at a zebra crossing in a Tesco car park, couldn't unclip, fell over sideways into a bush.

I reckon everyone's done it at least once.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• MikeP 27 Mar 2013 19:05:53 1,935 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    That's the one Psychotext. Looks like it's 14km shorter. See? Just posting about it has made it even easier!
    That looks grand. If you're not used to riding long distances then I'd get out there and start to steadily build up your distances.

If you're a runner then your aerobic fitness should be good, but you'll need to work on cycling specific muscle groups, and it might be worth doing some core strength and flexibility work too so you can stay comfy and efficient while sat on the bike.

Also, long rides let you understand how much/when to eat (pretty fundamental on a ride of that length) and what you like/your stomach can tolerate. Failing to fuel yourself is a pretty common cause of long rides changing from fun to not fun.

• pistol 27 Mar 2013 21:03:10 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    BravoGolf wrote:
    That looks grand. If you're not used to riding long distances then I'd get out there and start to steadily build up your distances.

If you're a runner then your aerobic fitness should be good, but you'll need to work on cycling specific muscle groups, and it might be worth doing some core strength and flexibility work too so you can stay comfy and efficient while sat on the bike.

Also, long rides let you understand how much/when to eat (pretty fundamental on a ride of that length) and what you like/your stomach can tolerate. Failing to fuel yourself is a pretty common cause of long rides changing from fun to not fun.
    Mike's dead right about nutrition on long rides, and don't forget hydration. General rule of thumb for anything over 2 hrs its probably a good idea to get around 30-60g carbs into you per hour, especially if you are riding fast. You will run out of glycogen around 90 mins to 2 hrs in, no matter how much you've eaten beforehand, so potentially a bar and gel per hour. Anymore than 60g and your body won't be able to use it. If its a charity ride with lots of stops its not such an issue to get it spot on, but you get the idea.

Hydration needs can vary depending on weather, your fitness levels, sweating etc, but even on 100 mile hilly sportives I will probably use 4 x 750ml of water with hydration tab. I'm not sure I buy this 500ml per hour lark as everyone uses fluid differently.

I tend to mix it up with real food and energy products to vary it a bit and usual food for me whether it be training rides or Sportives tends to be fig rolls (4 per hour), bananas (2 per hour), Waitrose flapjack bites (4 per hour), Zipvit chocolate and strawberry bars (1 per hour), Torq or SIS Go gels (1 per hour). I've used other such as sliced banana malt loaf (nice but a bit messy).

Edited by pistol at 21:12:18 27-03-2013
  • Psychotext 27 Mar 2013 21:17:34 54,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oddly enough I worked out that Shot Bloks are absolutely perfect for my carb needs on my average rides. 6 blocks per hour with water, job done.

Saves me having to think about it, and they're tasty too. :)
  • mal 27 Mar 2013 22:30:22 22,684 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Must admit, on the few long rides I've done, salts (in the form of fizzy tablets) seem to give me a pretty much immediate boost when I'm flagging. Never lasts very long, so it's nowhere near a proper nutrition solution, but if I understand the signs it means it's not all about carbs.

Edited by mal at 22:30:54 27-03-2013

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Psychotext 27 Mar 2013 22:33:36 54,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You need to replenish sodium, potassium and whatnot. Many gels have you covered for those aspects (and more complete foods certainly do).
  • elstoof 28 Mar 2013 08:57:43 7,732 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bottle of Belgian beer and a cigar per hour. Stop for some frites if you need a carb hit.
  • grey_matters 28 Mar 2013 09:03:46 3,792 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :)
  • BravoGolf Moderator 28 Mar 2013 09:38:28 12,746 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Bottle of Belgian beer and a cigar per hour. Stop for some frites if you need a carb hit.
    :-D Great advice though everyone, thank you.
  • MikeP 28 Mar 2013 10:28:48 1,935 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    You are Jacques Anquetil and I Claim My Free Prize. Hopefully a lobster and a bottle of chablis.

• elstoof 28 Mar 2013 10:47:36 7,732 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Take away the poise, the smooth pedal motion, the elegance, the talent, and you're just about right.
  • MikeP 28 Mar 2013 11:30:28 1,935 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BUT DO YOU HAVE THE HAIR?

• pistol 28 Mar 2013 11:33:54 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Must admit, on the few long rides I've done, salts (in the form of fizzy tablets) seem to give me a pretty much immediate boost when I'm flagging. Never lasts very long, so it's nowhere near a proper nutrition solution, but if I understand the signs it means it's not all about carbs.
    Mal, yes it is all about carbs, but what you're talking about is hydration, electrolytes etc, which you also need. Potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium etc. If you don't take on enough carbs your body cannot convert the glycogen into glucose to send to your bloodstream and you will end up breaking into muscle tissue (not fat) for energy. Keep doing that and you will harm yourself long term.
  • elstoof 28 Mar 2013 11:57:36 7,732 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    BUT DO YOU HAVE THE HAIR?
    Been giving off a powerful Brett Anderson vibe with my current haircut, so a bit of firm hold gel should do the trick.
  • pistol 28 Mar 2013 11:59:16 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Today's threshold, based on a 190 MHR.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/289804788
  • Psychotext 28 Mar 2013 12:09:23 54,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This was from my one the other night:

http://www.abload.de/img/untitledstbks.png[/img]

I love me some pretty heart rate data.
  • pistol 28 Mar 2013 12:15:18 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Psychotext ?
  • Psychotext 28 Mar 2013 12:18:12 54,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's the question? Can you not see the image?
  • pistol 28 Mar 2013 13:22:08 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    This was from my one the other night:

http://www.abload.de/img/untitledstbks.png[/img]

I love me some pretty heart rate data.
    nice one
  • pistol 28 Mar 2013 13:51:26 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Psychotext I couldn't no, but then it appeared for some reason. Nice going but you don't seem to keep the high HR's very long?
  • Psychotext 28 Mar 2013 14:52:45 54,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That was only on the power intervals of the other night. 2 sets of 4x2 mins. This one is a bit more like what you did:

http://www.abload.de/img/untitledwhe2d.png[/img]

Though I was working on power for my target rather than heartrate. Even so, will be a while before I'm taking such small breaks as you did, or working near max for so long either! (Power intervals are bad enough for that)

Edited by Psychotext at 14:55:59 28-03-2013
  • Page

of 366 First / Last