The cycling thread Page 205

• Page

of 375 First / Last

• grey_matters 24 Mar 2013 17:28:59 3,863 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Fuck me, Sagan really is in a league of his own. Can't wait to see how it goes next week. Too bad Boonen fell today but both Cancellara and Sagan seem to be in top shape!
    Yeah, missed today's race (caught the end of D. Martin's Catalunya win (\o/) though) but it sounded like a very impressive performance from Sagan again. He's a bit of a beast at the moment.
  • elstoof 24 Mar 2013 18:31:52 8,314 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My kid has started nursery, wife starte back at work and I've got a day of tomorrow. That means I get to I out on my first non commute ride in 5 months \o/

Just hope this fine weather holds!!
  • Psychotext 24 Mar 2013 18:41:02 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've missed three weeks of rides as it stands. Not happy about it but work has been hell.
  • MikeP 24 Mar 2013 18:48:59 2,075 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I couldn't believe it when the others watched Sagan ride off into the distance. He's a beast, but surely they all know by now not to give him a chance?

It may be that he's just that much better, but sucking his wheel while he batters into the wind would have seemed a better tactic. His three rivals just started looking at each other!

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Salaman 25 Mar 2013 14:39:25 19,604 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sure they would have loved to sit in his slipstream if they could. Flecha couldn't hold his wheel and left a gap, Van Avermaet from BMC tried to close the gap but couldn't. Sagan without lifting his ass out of his saddle just took ten seconds within 1 click pushing a gear that was two bigger than his followers.

It's pretty impressive when you can sprint against Cav, be explosive uphill like Gilbert, beat Contador uphilll and now power away from chasers like Cancellara. And he's only 23 yet. :-o
  • Deleted user 25 March 2013 14:56:17
    Aye sagan is certainly delivering on what everyone though gilbert was going to do a couple years back. His form at the moment is outsanding. Equally Froome looks like his warming up well for the TDF.

I missed all of yesterdays action. Been watching The Catuylana race. Some really good aggressive riding at the moment.
  • elstoof 25 Mar 2013 14:59:16 8,314 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He makes everyone else look like they're riding on compacts.
  • Deleted user 25 March 2013 15:01:05
    I saw some news footage of the races yesterday. Sad to see Evans seemingly just getting dumped on every climb. Look like the guy is shot of all form and confidence at the moment.
  • MikeP 25 Mar 2013 17:43:09 2,075 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, Cuddles is looking a pale shadow of his former self. I reckon Sagz v Stannard is going to be very interesting in Paris Roubaix.

• Psychotext 26 Mar 2013 00:14:14 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just had trainer road crash on me half way through a session. I really hope it doesn't make a habit of that. =/
  • MikeP 26 Mar 2013 10:50:02 2,075 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's unusual, and worth raising a ticket with them. Neither me or the missus have had any crashes with it, and we've logged close to 60 sessions. That's on Mac OS, but it's an Adobe Air application at heart anyhow.

• urban 26 Mar 2013 12:10:34 11,068 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You guys are far more hardcore than I!
  • Psychotext 26 Mar 2013 12:12:54 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm just desperately trying to get back to my pre DVT fitness levels. Still not there and starting to wonder if I ever will be. :(
  • Deleted user 26 March 2013 12:41:20
    Dropping my bike off at Bristol Dropouts in a bit. Spent £511 on new stuff there at the weekend, canít wait!
  • Lamb 26 Mar 2013 19:28:11 475 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Babe Ruth vs Lance Armstrong. Epic Rap Battles of History Season 2

• mal 26 Mar 2013 22:24:50 22,836 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got round to adding a 36mm spanner to my last order so I can change my threaded headset in the future and not mangle the top bolt with my adjustable spanner and it turned up today. Whooo, it's a bit of a monster, weighing in at almost a kilo, and around a foot long. It'll probably find more use next to my bed in case of burglars than changing headsets in practice.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• elstoof 26 Mar 2013 22:32:22 8,314 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My tool box looks like some sort of Germanic fetish fantasy; chain whips, link tools that look like nipple clamps, bottom bracket cup remover/spanking paddle... Um.. Tube of grease..
  • mal 26 Mar 2013 23:21:37 22,836 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Certainly explains all the spandex...

• Psychotext 27 Mar 2013 00:01:48 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seems I really can't do power intervals. I genuinely suck at them.

I'm going to work on the assumption that the calibration on my trainer is off on trainer road and it actually provides higher resistance at higher loads than expected. ;)
  • lordofdeadside 27 Mar 2013 13:47:25 1,162 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone been out in the snow?

I went for a shortish ride on sunday, pretty tough going. On the plus side snow is good at cleaning tyres!
  • pistol 27 Mar 2013 13:54:42 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Seems I really can't do power intervals. I genuinely suck at them.

I'm going to work on the assumption that the calibration on my trainer is off on trainer road and it actually provides higher resistance at higher loads than expected. ;)
    You need to be in good nick to do them properly, and to get anything out of them you should also know your stats well. If you are unfit for whatever reason you're going to struggle to reach the right level.

From what you've posted recently, why don't you leave the threshold or power intervals and concentrate on other zones until you get full fitness?

Pointless otherwise.
  • Wacko_AK 27 Mar 2013 14:08:49 207 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep, was out on the mountain bike at the weekend.

Up to a height of about 600m - massive drifts everywhere, fun in parts a slog in others. As you say the bonus of the bikes being cleaner than we started was good!
  • Psychotext 27 Mar 2013 14:19:19 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    From what you've posted recently, why don't you leave the threshold or power intervals and concentrate on other zones until you get full fitness?

Pointless otherwise.
    It's really just a case of getting them to the appropriate level. I was only about 3% off on yesterdays one so I think I've basically got it right for now.

Will be a useful baseline for the coming weeks.
  • pistol 27 Mar 2013 14:20:28 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    lordofdeadside wrote:

I went for a shortish ride on sunday, pretty tough going. On the plus side snow is good at cleaning tyres!
    Wasn't snowing where I was but yeah, I was out. 3 of us did a 70 mile ride, 3500ft climbing. Unless it's unsafe I try and go out in all weathers if possible.
  • Psychotext 27 Mar 2013 14:25:31 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm skipping this weekend - I'm actually quite sick of being out in the freezing cold. Blech, I need some warmth.
  • pistol 27 Mar 2013 14:36:55 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    pistol wrote:

Pointless otherwise.
    It's really just a case of getting them to the appropriate level. I was only about 3% off on yesterdays one so I think I've basically got it right for now.

Will be a useful baseline for the coming weeks.
    What are you doing them for?

Just fitness or an event of some kind?
  • mal 27 Mar 2013 14:40:37 22,836 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Meh, with two pairs of socks on, two pairs of gloves and a goretex hat on it's still a little too warm for me out. Although for that getup I could definitely do with either longer helmet straps or a thinner hat, as with the hat and helmet on it presses my ears over the handles of my glasses such that it gets increasingly painful to take them off and put them back on at the lights.

• Psychotext 27 Mar 2013 14:47:34 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Just fitness or an event of some kind?
    Both. My "events" are ever more challenging trails on a fortnightly basis. Basically seeing just how difficult I can manage.

mal wrote:
    Meh, with two pairs of socks on, two pairs of gloves and a goretex hat on it's still a little too warm for me out.
    I really can't wear that kind of stuff and survive my average trails. Too many slow (but extremely technical) ascents meaning that I go from utterly frozen to massively overheated.

If I could afford the ultra high level stuff I would be fine (the super breathable stuff), but I just can't justify spending hundreds of pounds on individual articles.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 27 Mar 2013 15:05:09 12,752 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've signed up to cycle the Ring of Kerry in July, it's a gorgeous mountain loop of 186km and it has to be done in a day! Thing is, I haven't cycled since last year ...

I am running a lot though, would usually run a half marathon each weekend and 10k or so during the week. My question is whether that matters? Must I start cycling training and forgo running or does each one compliment the other?
  • Psychotext 27 Mar 2013 15:13:03 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They're not particularly complimentary, no. Doesn't hurt in terms of fitness though obviously.

If you get on a bike an expect to do 186km without having cycled for a while then you're going to regret it... a lot. A century is considered a hard task for a lot of riders, and that doesn't sound like it's going to be an easy century.
  • Page

of 375 First / Last