The cycling thread Page 202

• Page

of 376 First / Last

• MikeP 11 Mar 2013 22:23:16 2,079 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just done my second Functional Power Threshold test, having completed my first block of training.

Power's up by 7%, which I'm pretty chuffed about. FTP session are so horrible though, glad I only have to do them every couple of months, max.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• elstoof 12 Mar 2013 08:09:49 8,322 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah that's the junction, by Angel.

Nice work on your power, that's quite a jump. You'll be needing that extra power with all the bloody headwinds in town today. I'm no physicist, but it can't be possible to blow straight at you no matter which way you're cycling can it?
  • urban 12 Mar 2013 08:27:42 11,070 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I decided to give cycling into work a miss this week, I bought gear for the summer. I'm not about to invest in winter gear when there's only a month left of it. Last week was fine, it's not buses, construction trucks or Taxi's that worry me.

It's fucking maniacs on Boris bikes!
  • elstoof 12 Mar 2013 09:06:24 8,322 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They're pretty green aren't they. Give them a wide berth as soon as you see those faintly blinking seat stay lights. If you think that's bad though, wait until the next tube strike, you get all kinds of fucktards coming out of the woodwork - look out for badly clothed folk on totally spotless bikes in last seasons colours, just pulled out from deep storage in the garage for the occasion.
  • Megapocalypse 12 Mar 2013 09:12:06 5,526 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So glad I don't have to cycle during peak commuter time or into central London. I see all those cyclists and think 'that looks like hell'.

Hopefully this weather will warm up soon. I've not enjoyed cycling in the cold this winter and seem to have done it a lot less than previous years.

Edited by Megapocalypse at 09:15:05 12-03-2013
  • elstoof 12 Mar 2013 09:22:43 8,322 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nah, cycling in London is fine, even in the centre of town. I've had more incidents out in the sticks.

I've just changed my hours at work though so now I aim to get into Piccadilly for 8am, what a bloody treat that is. Pretty clear roads, few other cyclists, get a good distance done in an hour before work or I can fly straight in in 15 minutes like today. My Strava sections are gonna look fantastic!
  • MikeP 12 Mar 2013 09:43:48 2,079 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @elstoof Like you, I had my own personal headwind today. Turned eastward at one point and almost came to a dead stop.

My office hours are a much later start than yours, but it means I avoid the worst of the school run. Mum buses are the worst in the morning.

• elstoof 12 Mar 2013 09:51:24 8,322 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just don't know how it's possible, take a left - headwind. Take the next two rights - still headwind.

Used to get in for 9 and it took so much extra time, I only live 5.5km away and it could take 30 minutes with all the extra cars and cyclists getting in the way. I suppose I could have done it quicker with some muscling to the front and jumping reds but that's not my style, I'd rather avoid the bigger road users if possible.
  • lexxx 12 Mar 2013 10:59:40 166 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @MikeP my commute home through central London can be somewhat variable - if i get out of work on time at 5, its great, like a Sunday afternoon jaunt. However, leave half an hour late and not only are the roads busier, but there seems a totally different mentality amongst other road users - include other cyclists obviously.
  • Salaman 12 Mar 2013 12:51:05 19,623 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I just don't know how it's possible, take a left - headwind. Take the next two rights - still headwind.
    Urban built up area? You'd get a steady wind out in the fields and stuff but building create their own sort of "turbulence" as the wind whips around them. You're probably catching this.
    I remember this one apartment building in Cologne, our tram stop was next to it. You crossed the street got near that block of flats and 5 meters before you rounded the corner this massive wind would hit you. Really, leaning forward into it, strong wind even if there was just a light breeze out that day. Odd.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2013 13:25:30
    Got my fingers crossed for a little extra cash at the end of this month so I can grab a new crankset, quill stem and frameset:

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/Track%20FrameSets/Aluminium%20Track%20FrameSets/PreCursa%20FrameSet?product_id=602

http://bricklanebikesshop.co.uk/products/blb-track-crankset

http://bricklanebikesshop.co.uk/products/blb-lil-quill-stem
  • Psychotext 13 Mar 2013 13:56:26 55,051 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've finally got around to buying one of those power line networking things so I can leave my laptop in the garage now for all my trainer road goodness. Far less hassle than connecting / disconnecting it all the time.

Now if only I could work out how to get the temperature right in there.
  • Salaman 13 Mar 2013 15:38:00 19,623 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A bit random maybe but is anyone interested in a bike-y weekend to Belgium November 23-24?

I play badminton every week in a cyclodrome (there's sport courts in the middle of the track) and I found out you can book the track for a "track cycling" initiation (bicycles provided, you don't need to bring those across) but you need about 20 people to book it.
    November 19->24 is also the 6-day track event in Ghent. So possibly a neat trip. Go onto the track on Saturday (assuming you can book these sessions for Saturdays) and then watch the pros at it on Sunday.

Getting across from the South of England is a doddle. London to Ghent is 5 hours door to door and that includes the eurotunnel crossing. The crossing is about £50 if you book the short stay rate early enough.
    The track initiation I need to check prices for still. Hotels can be found for 50-75€ and the Sunday event is 18€.

Just figured getting some of you die-hard cyclists over might be my best shot at doing one of these track initiations.
  • Salaman 14 Mar 2013 21:23:25 19,623 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got a mail from teh site we used last year for the tour de france fantasy cycling team thing.

Anyone interested?

Dear Velogames Player,

FANTASY SPRING CLASSICS BEGINS AT 09:00 (CET) ON SUNDAY MORNING

The Velogames Fantasy Spring Classics series is open and accepting entries at Velogames Fantasy Cycling (http://www.velogames.com).

This year's contest covers an 11 race series, taking in the major monuments of the Spring cycling season, including Milano - Sanremo, Ronde van Vlaanderen, Paris-Roubaix, Amstel Gold and Liege - Bastogne - Liege.

La Fleche Wallonne, Gent - Wevelgem and the other semi-classics of Flanders are also on the schedule, so competition for honours will be fierce.

With a total 24 rider transfers available during the series, set up your squad for each event and chase those valuable Velogames points.

Points are on offer for finishing positions, assists and breakaways, so the scoring system rewards all aspects of rider performance during each race.

The entry deadline for the opening race, Milano - Sanremo, is 09:00 CET on Sunday 17th March.

You will still be able to enter the contest after this deadline, but your team will only become active for scoring for the following race.

So don't delay and head over to the site now!

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your team on the road during the new Velogames Fantasy Cycling season!

Best regards,

George
  • Deleted user 15 March 2013 13:17:48
    Just put an order in for a load of stuff so I’ve finally built my own bike (been swapping stuff on my original No Logo bike for a while). Got a new Tokyo Fixed Dart frame, new crankset etc and I’m super excited to get it all! Hopefully it’ll ride like a dream.

NEVER BUY A NO LOGO BIKE. Even if you want a cheap one.
  • Trafford 15 Mar 2013 14:31:21 5,975 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    I've got a Surly Cross Check now.a

How you finding this Mike? Any plans to tour it?

Edited by Trafford at 14:34:44 15-03-2013
  • MikeP 16 Mar 2013 19:13:22 2,079 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    MikeP wrote:
    I've got a Surly Cross Check now.a

How you finding this Mike? Any plans to tour it?
    It's working out really well. Finding it a straightforward, versatile bike.

The one thing you have to watch is that with semi-horizontal rear dropouts weedy QR skewers sometimes don't hold the wheel in place reliably, but a quick swap to a pair of cheap Shimano internal cam ones sorted that, they have very reliable clamping pressure.

The missus and I are doing a 4-day coast to coast tour in September. Not sure how I'll set it up for that, as the fork is eyeleted for a rack, so I could run a proper 2 up 2 back pannier arrangement.

• Psychotext 16 Mar 2013 20:46:22 55,051 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Power intervals utterly destroyed me today on trainerroad. I think I'd got cocky from some of the other sessions and set my FTP too high. Ended up having to turn it down considerable and I still struggled.

Blech. Will look forward to another go at that at some point in the future when I'm a bit fitter.
  • MikeP 16 Mar 2013 21:05:44 2,079 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, you have to be careful with that. Might be worth doing the 2x8min FTP test to see where you're at.

Horrible as it is.

• Psychotext 16 Mar 2013 22:05:50 55,051 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was a lot to do with being over tired as well, been working 16 hour days for the last week. I think I'll just notch it back about 5% for the moment.
  • MikeP 17 Mar 2013 12:13:13 2,079 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Props to you for getting on the trainer at all if you're working that hard!

• Salaman 17 Mar 2013 15:38:00 19,623 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fucking hell what a rough race today. It's raining retirements. Massive delay as well. I'd expect them to finish soon normally.
  • grey_matters 17 Mar 2013 17:09:22 3,863 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Missed all the early drama but caught the end. Great stuff from Ciolek and what a debut for MTN-Qhubeka. Fine race from Stannard too.
  • caligari 17 Mar 2013 19:47:55 17,194 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My work's cycle-to-work scheme finally opens again, tomorrow. It was delayed due to all of the bad weather.

Did you all know that you don't have to sign up for a bike - you're allowed to simply purchase bike gear/equipment. Quite handy if you're looking to pick up a new helmet or lock.

I'm tempted to pick up another bike, but I use a shared garage which is currently getting very cramped. I'm not sure if another bike would be pushing my luck with my fellow tenants.

Perhaps I could get something smaller - a dirt bike?
  • Vortex808 17 Mar 2013 20:24:58 7,592 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :D

Watching footage of the Strathpuffer 24hr MTB race from this year on the adventure show on bbc2 scotland just now. Folk trying to cycle on pure ice on the trails. Spills ( and thrills) aplenty by the looks of it. Mentalists.
  • MikeP 17 Mar 2013 21:28:16 2,079 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I did a fillet brazing course on Friday, part of my ongoing attempts to build my own bike frame.

It was a grand day out. I went from total fillet brazing novice to producing decent joins. I love learning new skills, even if I am an old dog :D

Edited by MikeP at 21:29:22 17-03-2013

• Trafford 17 Mar 2013 23:29:48 5,975 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Mike, aye they're very functional bikes.
    My head's buzzing with the possibilities of touring and the various set ups to use.

Speaking of which, there's a new series of Mapman with Nicholas Crane on BBC2 I player at the moment. He's a cool bloke, does a trip across the Lakes on a 70 year old push iron, even goes over Black Sail Pass with it, hardcore.
  • MikeP 18 Mar 2013 09:53:21 2,079 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    @Mike, aye they're very functional bikes.
    My head's buzzing with the possibilities of touring and the various set ups to use.

Speaking of which, there's a new series of Mapman with Nicholas Crane on BBC2 I player at the moment. He's a cool bloke, does a trip across the Lakes on a 70 year old push iron, even goes over Black Sail Pass with it, hardcore.
    Nicholas Crane is great. Always find his programs a good watch.

• Deleted user 18 March 2013 10:10:03
    Watched a couple of decent bike docs recently that are worth checking out:

Brussels Express: Bike Messengers – Great insight into the world of bike messengers in Brussels. They’re actually nice guys.

Pedal – Bike Messengers in New York with some alleycat stuff put in there. The guys are having fun, but they’re kind of assholes.

Line of Sight – A bunch of alleycat races. These guys are actually assholes with absolute disregard for their lives. I don’t know if I liked or hated it.

Edited by lukejones at 10:10:13 18-03-2013
  • Page

of 376 First / Last