The cycling thread Page 201

• Page

of 366 First / Last

• pistol 7 Mar 2013 14:09:34 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    TCC is fairly specific (6-7 of those hours a week are done on the trainer). I don't target anything when I'm out though, I just try to push myself hard and have fun. :)

But yeah, I don't have any specific goals. I'm really not interested in competition in the slightest. Just want to get fitter so I can challenge myself with harder trails.
    If that's the case, just eat sensibly and get out as much as you can. You might try some END sessions on the turbo (I'm currently doing them in the 148-158 range. 90 mins will see you riding harder on the trials with less effort. Your range will be specific to you and my numbers are based on a 190 max. Threshold sessions will give you more power to climb so you could try a 2 x 20 turbo session as a starting point. Essentially 2 TT efforts of 20 minutes. Warm up for 10 mins, do 20 mins at TT effort (so hard but not balls out), lightly spin for 10, then another 20 mins at TT and warm down 10 mins. There are many variations of this but it's a great place to start.

A couple of those per week and you'll notice a massive difference. My training from now until May will be a mix of END and threshold sessions. The last 5 months have been END and fasted fat burning at low HR.

Edited by pistol at 14:11:49 07-03-2013
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 14:18:17 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is what I'm doing currently. You'll recognise the layout of some of them: http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/plans/103

(Basically it has Steady State, Fast Pedal, Endurance, Power Intervals and Over Under Intervals)

I should arguably be on the experienced century program, but I don't want to push myself too hard until I'm sure I'm pretty much back to where I should be.

Edited by Psychotext at 14:32:17 07-03-2013
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 15:14:21 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Unrelated, anyone know where I might be able to get a good deal on new wheels and brakes? Maybe as part of a bundle? I've been looking at upgrading my old bike and I seem to be stuck without a decent fork unless I upgrade to discs at the same time.

I'm basically trying to compare if I can do that for cheap enough that it's worth going that way instead of a completely new bike. I love the frame on this one though so I'm definitely going to keep it around one way or another.
  • Trafford 7 Mar 2013 16:10:45 5,879 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Psychotext

What size frame are you?
  • pistol 7 Mar 2013 16:18:42 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    This is what I'm doing currently. You'll recognise the layout of some of them: http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/plans/103

(Basically it has Steady State, Fast Pedal, Endurance, Power Intervals and Over Under Intervals)

I should arguably be on the experienced century program, but I don't want to push myself too hard until I'm sure I'm pretty much back to where I should be.
    Needs a username and password to log in.
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 16:49:18 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh, here's an example:

Week 2

60-90min 3x8 SS, 4RBI

A slight increase in your Steady State interval durations will capitalize on the small gains made during the previous week's introduction to slightly-below FTP workloads. As your muscular endurance capabilities grow, so too will the demands you place on yourself.

Remember, our focus is always on quality in order to maximize your limited time in the saddle so do your best to maintain your target output with as few interruptions as possible.

Again, avoid turning these efforts into short time trials and keep your cadence between 85-95rpm.

EM

Your long weekend rides can already start to incorporate some terrain-specific stress, in particular, hills. If your target events involve long, sustained climbs then start to incorporate a little bit of climbing into your long, weekend rides.

Maintain an 85-95rpm (60-80rpm in the hills) and stay seated except to occasionally stretch your legs.
    Week 3

60-90min 3x8-10 SS, 4-5RBI + 90min 2x3x2 PI, 3RBI/8RBS

Alright, time to get to it! This week introduces the most crucial component of all TCTP's, Power Intervals (PI's).

Before that though, you'll get thoroughly recovered with a double-dose of recovery. The subsequent double helping of SS intervals will capitalize on your growing endurance by increasing their duration slightly before sending you into your late-week rest day. Then...

Time to hurt! PI's are short but don't underestimate their difficulty or their importance because these efforts will bring about the greatest overall improvement of all your TCTP works if they're performed correctly. Tremendous aerobic gains will take place in very little time, but you have to be willing to really push yourself.

Keep your PI cadence high by riding above 100rpm and SS cadence should remain in that 85-95rpm range.

EM (Group Ride option)

Should you have the option of riding outdoors, group rides are an excellent way to keep things more interesting, but indoor or solo Endurance Mileage are equally as effective and less likely to become something unintended.

Keep your effort on target regardless of the atmosphere and remember that the goal with these rides is longer, steady efforts with continuously low-moderate stress.

Maintain an 85-95rpm and stay seated except to occasionally stretch your legs.
    With some target layouts:

Edited by Psychotext at 16:52:23 07-03-2013
  • MikeP 7 Mar 2013 16:55:04 1,942 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    I'm well chuffed

Had my 3rd bike fitness assessment yesterday with www.sportstest.co.uk and results were best I've ever had.

Weight - 78.3kg
    Fat % - 9.2%
    Maximum Wattage up 20% from end of Nov - 396w

I now seem to be burning more bodyfat even when I'm pushing higher heart rates.

Aim now is to get to 77kg and 8% bodyfat for Marmotte in July and that'll be easy, although when I started I thought it was an un-realistic target, particularly the fat %. Losing the weight isn't hard but you don't want to lose the power also.

I'm 6ft
    Good stuff, pistol. What period is that max wattage over? If that's functional threshold (i.e. power for an hour) 5.05 W per Kilo puts you in Cat 1/Domestic Pro territory.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 16:56:27 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    @Psychotext

What size frame are you?
    Medium on a 26er, which in this case means...

Top Tube Length: 554
    BB Height: 298
    Standover: 735

Just priced a set of everything up and the best I can do is 580... which really isn't far off this beauty (Removed link just in case someone gets scammed)

Edited by Psychotext at 17:24:52 07-03-2013
  • pistol 7 Mar 2013 17:07:11 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    I'm well chuffed

Had my 3rd bike fitness assessment yesterday with www.sportstest.co.uk and results were best I've ever had.

Weight - 78.3kg
    Fat % - 9.2%
    Maximum Wattage up 20% from end of Nov - 396w

I now seem to be burning more bodyfat even when I'm pushing higher heart rates.

Aim now is to get to 77kg and 8% bodyfat for Marmotte in July and that'll be easy, although when I started I thought it was an un-realistic target, particularly the fat %. Losing the weight isn't hard but you don't want to lose the power also.

I'm 6ft
    Good stuff, pistol. What period is that max wattage over? If that's functional threshold (i.e. power for an hour) 5.05 W per Kilo puts you in Cat 1/Domestic Pro territory.
    No, the wattage is max power produced over the course of the test. You start at 75w, then move to 100, 150, 200, 220, then keep going until you literally have nothing left. Whole period lasts about 30 mins. It ain't pleasant but gives a very accurate picture of where you are.

My overall stats currently puts me around Cat3 although I don't race currently, but more Sportive specific. By July I should have more power.

Edited by pistol at 17:08:25 07-03-2013
  • MikeP 7 Mar 2013 17:10:24 1,942 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just read back over the thread, so I thought I may as well share my training data in case anyone is interested.

My functional threshold is about 3.7 Watts per Kg, I'm a bit of a chunk at 74Kg and a real 175cm (Not Cavimeters)

You can see the sort of things I get up to here, combined with a daily commute and normally a 4-6 hour weekend ride. Not sure what plan to do next...

http://www.trainerroad.com/career/mikepearson

This being done in conjunction with me sorting out some strength/flexibility issues which seem to be going well.

I've moved my "chronically tight" hamstring flexibility from 117 degrees of movement to over 140, which is getting close to optimal for a cyclist. There's loads of other stuff, but damn I ache as various muscle chains pick up the slack/rebalance themselves!

• Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 17:13:17 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Freaky looking traces on those last two. What were you up to?
  • Trafford 7 Mar 2013 17:15:44 5,879 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Trafford wrote:
    @Psychotext

What size frame are you?
    Medium on a 26er, which in this case means...

Top Tube Length: 554
    BB Height: 298
    Standover: 735

Just priced a set of everything up and the best I can do is 580... which really isn't far off this beauty: http://www.netforcycle.com/ghost-htx-29-actinum-9000-hardtail-bike-2012-p-6204.html
    That's a big reduction, but I've never heard of either the bike or website. I don't get out much though..
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 17:17:32 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, they're almost certainly not legit (I've watched that bike for two weeks, the stock hasn't changed).

That said, I can get that bike for 1k from a reputable supplier. Still within the realms of comparison. Same goes for a couple of bikes from Cube and Canyon.

Edited by Psychotext at 17:20:46 07-03-2013
  • MikeP 7 Mar 2013 17:22:10 1,942 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Freaky looking traces on those last two. What were you up to?
    Goddard has some single leg drills (they are the lower power bits, not very good at them, very awkward with road cleats for me) and some seated sprints intervals. I was so angry about the single leg drills I Hulk Smashed the end of the final two blocks, hence the overpower readings :)

The last one is aerobic intervals combined with 5 second sprints. Weirdly, that got easier the more I got into it, the second block felt horrible.

• MikeP 7 Mar 2013 17:30:28 1,942 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also, I think the Watts Per KG thing for me is a bit off - hard to say, but I don't feel as fast as the data would indicate I should be.

My trainer is one that's well calibrated for the software, but I really try to think of it as giving a sensible baseline to work off, more than anything.

Edited by MikeP at 17:30:48 07-03-2013

• Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 17:36:00 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh, I couldn't see the target spikes. I just thought you might have gone a bit mental. :p

As for power, mine is no-where close because of the mountain bike tyre (not to mention the beta trainer), but it's still a platform to monitor any improvements.
  • Trafford 7 Mar 2013 17:49:36 5,879 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So scientific, you guys need to pootle more!
  • MikeP 7 Mar 2013 17:55:15 1,942 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    So scientific, you guys need to pootle more!
    Hell yeah, I do a lot of pootling! I love wandering about. That's the weird thing about bikes, there's such a massive spectrum of activity but still there's that common bond of turning the pedals and good stuff happens. :)

• Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 18:05:26 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wait, I'm supposed to turn the pedals? I thought the idea was pushing it up a hill and then having gravity do the rest.
  • MikeP 7 Mar 2013 18:27:06 1,942 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago

• Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 21:17:42 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :(
  • MikeP 7 Mar 2013 22:22:17 1,942 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Psychotext :)

• Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 22:28:14 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On the subject of pootling, I went a bit mental the last time I was out and tried to see how far I could get down the road just by bouncing and bunny hopping.

Tiggers love to bounce.
  • MikeP 7 Mar 2013 22:34:06 1,942 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How far did you get?

• Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 22:42:47 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm... let me see.
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 22:44:28 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    About 30 meters. I think I got tired at that point. :D
  • Trafford 8 Mar 2013 07:18:49 5,879 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes, a huge broad appeal, a way of life for many.

One of the many things that impresses me, is the sheer talent of scumbag chav riders. I mean we can all cycle with no hands, but at a snails pace, eating crisps, drinking a can of lager through a busy precinct? Popping huge wheelies at the drop of a hat. Impressive skills.
  • Salaman 8 Mar 2013 08:30:04 19,283 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks like a fairly tough stage in Paris-Nice today.
    Gilbert seems to be in good form and on track for the coming classics. Good news. It was odd to see him have such an off season after he'd won everything the year before.
  • elstoof 8 Mar 2013 08:38:17 7,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On my quick route home there's a narrow little cycle only contra flow the navigate, traffic lighted to cycles as it crosses 2 busy thoroughfares. Some guy the other day decided that right there, amongst the dozen strong peloton trying to squeeze through the one bike wide bottleneck, would be the best possible place to sit up and go hands free, wobbling from side to side while crossing City Road at a snails pace.
  • MikeP 8 Mar 2013 11:21:36 1,942 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is it that bit right by the Angel in Islington? If so, what a Doofus.

• Page

of 366 First / Last