• Page

of 321 First / Last

• jenguin 21 Apr 2008 11:06:16 151 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    _Price_ wrote:
    DaisyD wrote:
    I live right by some woods that lead to a nearby villiage and a great pub, so there will be some off-my-face riding.

Fixed.

On that note: is it illigal to ride a bike after having a swift few? Is there a drink-ride limit? Not that I've ever done it before h'officer, honest....

I'm fairly sure it is illegal, but also extremely dangerous!
    I vowed not to do it after finding some strange red marks on my bike one Saturday morning. The memory slowly came back of a head on collision with a parked car, with me rolling over the bonnet Starsky and Hutch style.....

Seriously, don't do it, you think you are superinvinciblecycling man, but obviously aren't!

thirded. An incident with my bmx (no I'm not 12, nor can I do tricks) front stunt peg, metal post and too much hoegarden made me somersault over a parked car.

J
  • DaisyD 21 Apr 2008 13:17:08 11,818 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is illegal - I wasn't suggesting drinking a shed load. Maybe a Magners in summer. It's pretty much all footpaths and bridal ways between my flat and the pub though. :)
  • mattigan 21 Apr 2008 14:35:29 1,429 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Plus it's a hell of a lot easier to walk home with a bike than a car.
  • DaM 21 Apr 2008 14:45:49 12,606 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mattigan wrote:
    Plus it's a hell of a lot easier to walk home with a bike than a car.

Yes, but almost impossible to resist getting on it!

• mattigan 25 Jun 2008 22:56:31 1,429 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, the Sun's out, any of you layabouts decided to take the plunge and ride in in the morning?
  • DaisyD 25 Jun 2008 23:07:09 11,818 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I actually haven't been able to yet. I've had appointments all over the county everyday since I've been back from my leave in May. I try to keep my diary empty on Mondays and Fridays though, so maybe I'll be able to cycle on one of those days soon.
  • BanjoMan 25 Jun 2008 23:12:40 13,730 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mattigan wrote:
    So, the Sun's out, any of you layabouts decided to take the plunge and ride in in the morning?
    Yup. Dopey morning drivers changing lanes without signalling is a bit hairy, but it feels good.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• Deleted user 25 June 2008 23:18:29
    I've been riding to work fairly regularly (at least twice a week) through West London for about two years, been thinking recently about a mask/filter type setup as I'm moving jobs to somewhere where I'll probably cycle every day through bus-filled central London. Does anyone use these? Do they work?
  • DaisyD 25 Jun 2008 23:21:01 11,818 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had one for Buncefield. It looked pretty cool. Not sure how much it helped though.
  • Deleted user 25 June 2008 23:33:17
    Yeah, I like the idea of looking like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat... Unfortunately I just fitted a rear rack and paniers, though. Somewhat spoils the image...
  • mattigan 2 Jul 2008 08:55:54 1,429 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DrEggtimer

Masks are a personal preference, I bought one (30 ouch!) used it 3 times, found that the restriction to my breathing was unbearable and sold it within a week on ebay (4.99 Bigger OUCH!), although it may just be the way I ride flat out that made it unbearable.

@blizeH

It is safe if you are, you definately have to be aware of your surroundings, more so than in a car, but if you ride fairly aggressively i.e. hold your position, then by and large people dont take the piss I find.

Being a driver is actually an advantage when cycling as being able to read the road ahead is really important, I've got a friend who dosen't drive and has only recently learned to ride a bike who has had several minor accidents, it was only when he had one while I was behind him that I realised he was just pootling along not aware of what was going on around him, and actually put himself in a position to get bumped by a van that I, as a driver, wouldn't have.
  • mattigan 2 Jul 2008 08:56:58 1,429 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What distance do you commute?
  • espadachin 2 Jul 2008 08:57:52 2,210 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I do 18 miles a day from south london to parliament and have done for years, some parts of the journey are very busy, but i have never had too many troubles, cars are very used to bikes and are generally pretty good.

summer is the best and worst time to ride:
    best - weather
    worst - inexperienced fair-weather cyclists riding like maniacs
  • RedboX 2 Jul 2008 09:04:43 2,431 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd love to bike to work, unfortunately its 20 miles each way, and the only real route is down the M1/A1.

I try to work from home where possible.
  • mattigan 2 Jul 2008 10:34:17 1,429 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm yes, the fair weather cyclist, bouncing along on full suspension 'Argos special' mountain bikes, perfectly suited for the road....

I'm going single speed soon getting one of these, has anyone else here ditched the gears?
  • espadachin 2 Jul 2008 10:38:46 2,210 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spot on about the argos special :)

oooh very nice, would love to ditch gears, but sadly i live at the bottom of a very steep hill :(
  • Razz 2 Jul 2008 10:42:33 59,993 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    espadachin wrote:
    I do 18 miles a day from south london to parliament and have done for years, some parts of the journey are very busy, but i have never had too many troubles, cars are very used to bikes and are generally pretty good.

summer is the best and worst time to ride:
    best - weather
    Me too! :D Balham/Battersea to Whitehall and back not sure if it's as far as 13 miles though.

worst - inexperienced fair-weather cyclists riding like maniacs
    :D

I apologise! I love cycling with no hands. If that was you I almost hit last week, you should look were you're going. :p

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• espadachin 2 Jul 2008 10:49:20 2,210 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    oh, i go from the other side of crystal palace to horsferry road and i always look where im going you no handed show off :p
  • moggsy 2 Jul 2008 17:12:38 3,860 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Getting bullied into getting a bike in another thread. Would something like this suit a 5 mile one way commute or am I way of beam? There is a steep hill involved at one part of the journey.
  • mattigan 2 Jul 2008 21:42:12 1,429 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How long is the hill, you will struggle with that bike only having 3 gears. You are best getting something that suits your journey, if you will only be using it on a road then get a road bike, if you live in London then get down to Decathlon as they have very cheap entry level bikes to get you started.
  • mattigan 2 Jul 2008 21:43:50 1,429 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Plus see my list of must/should haves earlier in this thread.
  • PiD 2 Jul 2008 22:02:44 3,566 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I cycle into the office every morning but Brighton has an awesome cycle path that runs along the promenade instead of on the road. Its bliss
  • PinkSpider 2 Jul 2008 22:11:37 3,346 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cycling is aces. (Although I'm not looking forward to getting soaked/ muddy in winter).

Shame cant read a bus like can on bike, saves me enough for 5 pints at the pub though.
  • moggsy 3 Jul 2008 12:25:38 3,860 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mattigan wrote:
    How long is the hill, you will struggle with that bike only having 3 gears. You are best getting something that suits your journey, if you will only be using it on a road then get a road bike, if you live in London then get down to Decathlon as they have very cheap entry level bikes to get you started.

All of the other bikes I've been looking at have 21 gears. I'm really after something with around 6 gears ideally with twist grip selection. I also want one with mud guards and some sort of carrier that I could attach panniers to. Any ideas - or will I be lucky to find such a bike?
  • mattigan 3 Jul 2008 14:06:32 1,429 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's your budget, I know cheap as possible, but realistically?
  • moggsy 3 Jul 2008 14:08:26 3,860 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mattigan wrote:
    What's your budget, I know cheap as possible, but realistically?

Absolute maximum of 300.
  • mattigan 3 Jul 2008 14:11:14 1,429 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • mattigan 3 Jul 2008 14:14:01 1,429 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This?
  • mattigan 3 Jul 2008 14:18:02 1,429 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HTML Linking appears to be broken.... try copy/paste with the link below.

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86606

TBH gears are gears, 6 or 21 dosen't really matter, you only use the ones you use. It's always nice to have the option of a larger range on the rare occasion that you need it though
  • Page

of 321 First / Last