The cycling thread Page 199

• Page

of 343 First / Last

• Salaman 4 Mar 2013 09:51:33 18,875 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone watch the Strade Bianche Saturday? Quite a cool race. Didn't realise it's only been about for 7 years. It's a pity the RAI are so crap at putting a race on TV.

Impressive work by Cannondale and Sagan!
  • Psychotext 4 Mar 2013 09:54:45 53,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Unrelated, I've started using Strava now. Not to compete, I want to know just exactly how bad my fitness is compared to where it was (I used to be a mid to front of the pack sort of guy... now I wonder where the pack might be and if they'll still be in the car park when I get there).
  • Psychotext 4 Mar 2013 11:16:27 53,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Clever stuff:

• pistol 4 Mar 2013 12:35:39 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Salaman

Watched the closing stages.

Watching Paris Nice now...Prologue yesterday although only a very short one.
  • Salaman 4 Mar 2013 15:10:27 18,875 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Never follow Paris-Nice or Tirreno all that closely. Although It's probably a good idea to follow these type of "tour preparation" evetns if you want to know who to put in your fantasy team come July. :-)

4 Km to go I see. Mass sprint unless someone can get away in the last 2 or so.

edit: ah. Some Frenchie got it in the sprint.

Edited by Salaman at 15:16:16 04-03-2013
  • pistol 4 Mar 2013 15:19:36 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Salaman

Thanks for spoiling it...;-)
  • Psychotext 4 Mar 2013 15:24:39 53,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lol
  • Deleted user 4 March 2013 15:34:07
    quite a tight finish, wasn't much space at all. Thought the frenchie dude was going to take out some poor sod when celebrating at the end there..
  • Salaman 4 Mar 2013 18:07:29 18,875 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    @Salaman

Watching Paris Nice now...
    Sorry. I assumed this meant you were sat in front of the TV, watching the race. :-/

I spoiler Strade Bianche for myself in a stupid fashion. Didn't get to watch it Saturday. Recorded it. Avoided news on the radio and miraculously
    didn't see the result when I went onto a newssite twice forgetting I'm trying to stay off them. Then I go flick through my RSS reader feeds on my phone, forgetting there's one or two cycling news sites on there.
    DOH.
  • pistol 5 Mar 2013 10:14:07 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    @Salaman

Watching Paris Nice now...
    Sorry. I assumed this meant you were sat in front of the TV, watching the race. :-/

I spoiler Strade Bianche for myself in a stupid fashion. Didn't get to watch it Saturday. Recorded it. Avoided news on the radio and miraculously
    didn't see the result when I went onto a newssite twice forgetting I'm trying to stay off them. Then I go flick through my RSS reader feeds on my phone, forgetting there's one or two cycling news sites on there.
    DOH.
    Never watched the races live, always recorded.

I'm personally not a huge fan of flat stages in general. Nothing more boring than watching 5 hrs when nothing happens apart from the last 500 metres. Love the classics and the GT's but I'm just not a sprinter fan. Can certainly appreciate the speed but riders like cavendish who so limited just seem to bore me. More respect for sprinters who can climb a bit too.

Only my opinion though.

Edited by pistol at 10:21:05 05-03-2013
  • Deleted user 5 March 2013 14:41:38
    Ouch! Nacer Bouhanni proplery face planted the floor there. Nasty. Not a good time to eat dinner!.

Que fat women trying to get a photo on her phone.
  • Psychotext 5 Mar 2013 14:42:54 53,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What channel is this on?
  • Deleted user 5 March 2013 14:43:32
    eurosport 1 or 2. can't reach the remote!
  • Psychotext 5 Mar 2013 14:49:10 53,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow, that's a tight pack.
  • Salaman 5 Mar 2013 15:45:33 18,875 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    I'm personally not a huge fan of flat stages in general. Nothing more boring than watching 5 hrs when nothing happens apart from the last 500 metres. Love the classics and the GT's but I'm just not a sprinter fan. Can certainly appreciate the speed but riders like cavendish who so limited just seem to bore me. More respect for sprinters who can climb a bit too.

Only my opinion though.
    It's not the excitement of a classic like Milan-San Remo, De Ronde or Paris-Roubaix that's for sure.
    Today's Paris-Nice stage is a good example. Flat a s a pancake and lots of wind, so not really a viable option for a breakaway.
    Fuck all action until the last 10-15k.

That did look like nasty face plant! Cut lip and injured hand apparently
  • Psychotext 5 Mar 2013 15:58:32 53,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bleh, have to go and do an hour and a half on the trainer. Legs are still aching from the weekend. I don't want to. :(
  • pistol 5 Mar 2013 16:54:42 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Bleh, have to go and do an hour and a half on the trainer. Legs are still aching from the weekend. I don't want to. :(
    Don't think you should be doing an hour and a half if your legs are aching tbh. Smells of overtraining to me.
  • Psychotext 5 Mar 2013 18:40:10 53,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was nothing major, I crushed the session and all my indicators are pretty much where they should be.

I'll likely have problems with my legs for at least the next year apparently (because of the DVT), I guess I'll just have to live with it.
  • caligari 5 Mar 2013 20:36:21 16,999 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hah, yet ANOTHER puncture on my road bike.

So much for Gatorskins!
  • Deleted user 5 March 2013 21:04:46
    @caligari Are you riding in the gutter?
  • caligari 5 Mar 2013 21:51:25 16,999 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @lukejones - heh, no, this one was a bloody pothole. I was happily rolling along when my front wheel hit (what felt like) a small land mine. Instant puncture.
  • Deleted user 5 March 2013 21:54:30
    @caligari Iím terrified about going out to my bike in the morning, had a super heavy backpack on my ride home today and went over a couple of bumps. Gatorskins are great for regular punctures, but not so good for impact punctures as far as I know.
  • mal 5 Mar 2013 22:06:01 22,341 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I tried gatorskins once. I'm not convinced it's actually got a solid antipuncture layer, as small enough fragments of sharp crap still found their way through in short enough order. Gone back to the Supersports after those.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Trafford 5 Mar 2013 22:13:11 5,639 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mean streets of Norfolk.
  • elstoof 5 Mar 2013 23:02:50 6,631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Open Corsa CX's all winter for me, only had 2 punctures which is quite good for a cotton race tyre. Think you'll see me on Pave's next year though, green stripes and all.
  • MikeP 6 Mar 2013 11:29:20 1,771 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If punctures are a real concern my faves are Vittoria Randonneur tyres. I once rode over and broke most of a pint glass (thank you Shoreditch) - pulled a big chuck of glass out, but no puncture.

Not the fastest tyre in the world, but they are well tough.

Currently rocking Conti GP 4 seasons in a 28mm on the commuter. Seem pretty good, only had one puncture, but that was pretty much a neolithic flint axe head buried in the tyre.

@Psychotext - Good to hear you're back on the bike, hope things steadily improve!
  • Psychotext 6 Mar 2013 11:40:51 53,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, will be nice to get back to where I was, hopefully it wont take too long.

Will stick with it. Frankly I'm so nervous of it happening again that I think I'm going to go for ultrafit, and never stopping moving. :D

I can just picture myself ill again, and having the missus forcing me to walk around the house. :D
  • MikeP 6 Mar 2013 12:31:05 1,771 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Like this idea - Microadventures. http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/cycling-the-coast-to-coast-a-microadventure/

Planning on something similar this year. Doing out and back rides. Find a place with a decent B&B or pub with rooms, ride there Saturday. Eat pie & drink beer. Ride home Sunday.

Roll on Spring and Summer.
  • Psychotext 6 Mar 2013 12:47:37 53,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd love to try something like that (multi day ride from point to point), but a mountain bike version (on a smaller scale). Fuck riding on main roads.

Edited by Psychotext at 12:48:09 06-03-2013
  • Trafford 6 Mar 2013 13:52:12 5,639 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bikepacking , got my first trip of the year planned for later this month. Train up to St Bees Head on the Cumbrian coast. 36 hours later emerge at Windermere railway station for trip home, night spent kipping behind a dry stone wall in a bivvy.

Check www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk for inspiration.

My mate who I started doing this with last year has adopted a new hobby:(
    I'll be going solo for now.
  • Page

of 343 First / Last