of 360 First / Last

• Psychotext 16 Feb 2013 21:53:13 54,309 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Truth. I'll stick to my little ones and walk. :D
  • Bremenacht 17 Feb 2013 19:08:48 18,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone care to recommend some mudguards for a MTB? No, I'm not going with 'none', hardcore types! There's too much pigshit, dogshit and horseshit on the green lanes I try to stay on, plus slurry washed off the fields. Seriously shitty at times.

I've been told clip-ons are good for getting shit off and cleaning. Easy enough at the rear I guess. Not so sure about the front.
  • mal 17 Feb 2013 19:18:51 22,605 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Has your frame got the braze-ons for fitting old-style mudguards. On my bike there's a hole in the apex of the front fork, and holes just behind the dropouts. At the back it's similar with holes above the rear dropouts and a hole through a piece of metal welded to the frame where it splits for the rear forks.

I've seen simple types that clamp on to the seat post at the rear, but most times I see them on other people's bikes they're wonky, falling off or broken. Should be okay if you keep adjusting them, but they'll never catch as much muck as mudguards which fit around the tyre.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Psychotext 17 Feb 2013 19:29:26 54,309 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I use these, screw the bolt on sort: http://www.crudproducts.com/products/racepac-09/24h-racing

I also use one of these if I'm going to be going fast in the rain: http://www.rapidracerproducts.com/NeoGuard.htm
  • Bremenacht 17 Feb 2013 20:32:47 18,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Has your frame got the braze-ons for fitting old-style mudguards.
    Yes.

I've seen simple types that clamp on to the seat post at the rear, but most times I see them on other people's bikes they're wonky, falling off or broken. Should be okay if you keep adjusting them, but they'll never catch as much muck as mudguards which fit around the tyre.
    Mmm. Food for thought. However, close-fitting mudguards are my problem - too much crap collecting in them. Trying to find a stick in order to poke out a mudguard lasagne of poo and mud is annoying.

Psychotext wrote:
    I use these, screw the bolt on sort: http://www.crudproducts.com/products/racepac-09/24h-racing

I also use one of these if I'm going to be going fast in the rain: http://www.rapidracerproducts.com/NeoGuard.htm
    They look swish! Probably far too swish for me, but I'll go find an on-line shop.
  • Psychotext 18 Feb 2013 00:50:11 54,309 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They're pretty cheap: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Crud-Urban-Racepac-Mudguard-Pair_25903.htm

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Neoguard-Evil-Eyes-Front-Mudguard_26748.htm
  • Bremenacht 18 Feb 2013 01:28:10 18,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That'll do nicely. Ta very much. :)
  • Bremenacht 18 Feb 2013 18:21:50 18,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    They're pretty cheap: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Crud-Urban-Racepac-Mudguard-Pair_25903.htm
    Ordered. I went for this thing instead of the other thing:

http://www.muckynutz.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=50&product_id=114

Mainly 'cos I really really don't want a poo-face, but also 'cos it should do a better job of stopping crap getting chucked up into the forks and headset area. Less fiddly stuff to clean is worth a few extra bob, for me.
  • Psychotext 18 Feb 2013 18:29:10 54,309 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I've heard those are good too. Should be pretty well protected. :)
  • Psychotext 19 Feb 2013 11:37:12 54,309 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've had some pain in my "bad" leg the last couple of days and I've got a horrible feeling that I've got another DVT (or the original one is back somehow). I really hope I'm just being paranoid about it... because if it has happened again (without any injury / inactivity to cause it) then I'll be on Warfarin the rest of my life. :(
  • Psychotext 20 Feb 2013 13:38:29 54,309 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Grr. Just phoned the first of my list of bike shops and they didn't even know what facing a bottom bracket shell was. Great start! Couldn't fit me in soon enough either, which sucks.

Time for the next idiot in the list. =/
  • caligari 23 Feb 2013 05:19:50 17,061 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My single-speed decided to die on me on Friday. Roundabout - lots of traffic - when all of a sudden the back wheel completely seizes up.

I couldn't free it up so ended up carrying the bike home.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be? Has the axle simply caved in?
  • mal 23 Feb 2013 05:35:25 22,605 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    When I last bent my back axle, it just caused the wheel to wobble alarmingly when under weight, but I guess it might fail in more way than one. The wheel still went round, but I never rode it between it going and me getting it back from the bike shop, so I never tested how long that would have been true for.

Assuming it's not doing that, and it's not visibly blocked by anything, have you got any wiggle in the wheel going round? Can you hear where it's clashing? If not, take it apart and see (and when I say that, I hope you've not got fashionable horizontal dropouts)

• elstoof 23 Feb 2013 09:50:00 7,511 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quite likely to be broken pawls in the freehub, if you've eliminated anything visibly blocking your wheel.

When you say single speed, you do mean you can coast rather than a fixie right?
  • caligari 23 Feb 2013 13:32:15 17,061 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cheers for the help, guys.

I'm going to take it to pieces later today.

It's a single-speed, but it's currently running via the free-wheel (flip-flop hub - fixed IS still an option if the freewheel has imploded) - I was too cowardly for the fixed, although I only gave it about 10 minutes before switching back. It's something that I'd definitely like to master, though.

Coincidentally, I was in the process of cycling home with a 'freshly repaired' rear-wheel for my main road bike. I thought that it would be safe to start using it again on these 'Winter free' roads - a few minutes in to the ride and it starts snowing. Woop!
  • Trafford 23 Feb 2013 17:43:06 5,807 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Any one interested in a 18" Surly Karate Monkey? 2011 model/Battleship Grey.
    32/18 Singlespeed /Flared drop bars.
    I'll let it go at a good price to an EGer.

I was in town today and impulse bought an ex display 2012 Salsa Fargo, (been on the cards for a while tbh.)
    It's a size down from perfect fit, but the parts alone are worth more than I paid for it.

Let's hear it for Spring and new bikes!!
  • Trafford 23 Feb 2013 17:46:56 5,807 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    My single-speed decided to die on me on Friday. Roundabout - lots of traffic - when all of a sudden the back wheel completely seizes up.

I couldn't free it up so ended up carrying the bike home.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be? Has the axle simply caved in?
    I've had that, don't know the parts name, but sounds like the bolt that goes between the frame and the hub has wound in on itself. It screws up the axl. New hub needed.
  • caligari 23 Feb 2013 18:02:22 17,061 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Any one interested in a 18" Surly Karate Monkey? 2011 model/Battleship Grey.
    32/18 Singlespeed /Flared drop bars.
    I'll let it go at a good price to an EGer.

I was in town today and impulse bought an ex display 2012 Salsa Fargo, (been on the cards for a while tbh.)
    It's a size down from perfect fit, but the parts alone are worth more than I paid for it.

Let's hear it for Spring and new bikes!!
    Looks like a lovely bike, sir - I'm looking for something to use on grubbier tracks, but unfortunately it looks as though a 'Cycle To Work' scheme will be the more affordable option.

Keep it! I always regret selling bikes.
  • Trafford 23 Feb 2013 18:14:21 5,807 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, things like the Thudbuster seat post are worth over a ton alone.
    Bought it from an indie shop, such nice people, it was rude not to at 35% off.
    If you see a cyclist with 6 water bottles mounted, it'll be me!
  • urban 24 Feb 2013 15:12:19 10,945 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone got any tips for cycle to work clothing? 4 miles into the centre of London
  • Trafford 24 Feb 2013 15:39:52 5,807 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Brompton Oratory jacket is rather nice, pricey though.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2013 16:16:01
    @urban Something light and comfortable. If you have a shower at work I wouldn’t worry about cumbersome waterproof trousers and stuff. Just some cycling shorts, thermals, a t-shirt, a waterproof jacket and some gloves.

Basically, grab some cycling shorts and gloves from somewhere like Wiggle and grab the rest of the stuff from a local sports shop. The thermals don’t need to be specific to cycling.

On my commute I wear some Altura shorts, ski thermal trousers, thermal top, a waterproof jacket, a buff and some gloves.
  • elstoof 24 Feb 2013 16:57:53 7,511 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wear the exact same stuff on a commute as I would on any other ride - Full on shrink to fit Lycra. I leave all my work clothes at work though, taking fresh shirts and underwear in every Monday. you would honestly never catch me cycling in a suit in a million years like some guys you see on their bromptons.
  • Trafford 24 Feb 2013 17:12:03 5,807 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heh yes, I just figured Urban knew what to wear on a bike ride.
  • MikeP 24 Feb 2013 18:40:12 1,885 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    urban wrote:
    Anyone got any tips for cycle to work clothing? 4 miles into the centre of London
    4 miles isn't too bad for normal clothes, depending on speed.

If you want some crossover gear, I would recommend Swrve riding jeans. Not too pricy, don't look weird, have some nice bike-specific features. Also, Surface do a nice technical tweed jacket waterproof jacket. My missus has one.

http://www.swrve.co.uk/jeans.html

https://www.surface-clothing.com/Shop/Aquaphobic-Technical-Cycling-Jacket

I wear that sort of kit sometimes, normally I'm in a nice rainshell, a Rapha longsleeve merino jersey and Swrve 3/4 WWR knicks, and Argyle socks. It's a bit of an Edwardian Gent/ technical crossover. I accessorise with a full beard :p

Edited by MikeP at 18:42:40 24-02-2013

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• elstoof 24 Feb 2013 18:54:43 7,511 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shaved legs are an absolute must any commute also.
  • Bremenacht 24 Feb 2013 23:54:53 18,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    First ride of the year! \o/

Gear thingy on rear hub shearing off. /o\

Feeling totally fucked. _o_ hmmm, so-so.
  • Psychotext 25 Feb 2013 07:09:26 54,309 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I fucked up my rear hub last week when I fitted a new cassette to my bike. Stupid mistake to make.

Unrelated, epic performance by Becky James at the world championships. Top notch lady!
  • elstoof 25 Feb 2013 07:23:21 7,511 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    She was fantastic. Glad we've got some fresh talent coming through.
  • mal 25 Feb 2013 07:56:46 22,605 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I fucked up my rear hub last week when I fitted a new cassette to my bike. Stupid mistake to make.
    How did you manage that? I'm going to have to do that sooner rather than later I think.

• Page

of 360 First / Last