The cycling thread Page 192

• Page

of 356 First / Last

• Psychotext 31 Jan 2013 13:29:25 54,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Personally I don't get these people that seem to tip-toe around their other halve's.
    If I was honest, if she spent as much on herself as I do on mountain biking then we'd be flat out broke.

/feels guilty
  • pistol 31 Jan 2013 13:53:58 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Nah, it's just a bit of fun and part of the dynamic between my wife and I. We both work, so what we spend out money on is up to us, it's just makes these sort of things a bit more special if you add the little games with the missus into the mix. Well, works for us at least ;)
    Is that a roundabout way of saying you're under the thumb...?

I'm kidding..
  • Salaman 31 Jan 2013 14:25:11 19,058 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    it's just makes these sort of things a bit more special if you add the little games with the missus into the mix. Well, works for us at least ;)
    Is that a roundabout way of saying you're under the thumb...?

I'm kidding..
    Reading that, I'm getting these weird visions of glossy cycling magazines strewn on a kitchen table with a couple on top having a vigorous in-and-out session doing bike related dirty talk.
    "You like them rims, baby, huh? You want them? Work that shiny new bike boy! Work for it, yeah like that!"

As long as it works for you two though. =)

Edited by Salaman at 14:45:32 31-01-2013
  • Psychotext 31 Jan 2013 14:28:39 54,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /mops brow

'ot in here.
  • elstoof 31 Jan 2013 14:58:38 7,345 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I often give my wife's rim a good going over on the kitchen table. No replacement for good maintenance.
  • MikeP 31 Jan 2013 15:11:58 1,867 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• pistol 31 Jan 2013 16:13:34 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    :lol:
  • Salaman 2 Feb 2013 10:18:49 19,058 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    World Championship has been moved forward a day (some possible floods or something).

Tonight at 7:30
  • pistol 2 Feb 2013 11:11:30 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone following the Fuentes trial?
  • grey_matters 2 Feb 2013 11:44:32 3,756 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Forgot about it. Any news?
  • pistol 2 Feb 2013 13:51:02 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    Forgot about it. Any news?
    It started on Monday and Fuentes has already started giving evidence and blatantly lying. Loads of stuff will come out over the next few weeks I'm sure. Next to Ferrari he's the 2nd most well known doping doctor and will blow the lid on a lot of people by the end of the case I'm pretty certain of that. Not just past riders but current ones will be crapping themselves.

Problem is Spain has had very relaxed laws about doping and EPO until Operation Puerto in 2006 when Fuentes clinic was raided. They're still pretty corrupt and are only really prosecuting him for what they call endangering the health of his clients. Not for doing anything illegal. Bit of a joke really. Blood from the likes of Basso, Ullrich and potentially Contador were found as part of the raid, but also lots of stuff relating to other sports such as football and basketball, possible links to Barcelona/AC Milan etc, but they are on.y going to discuss cyclists. Loads of Spanish and Italian riders will probably get banned or sacked from their teams by the end of trial. Contador was supposed to be giving evidence but apparently not now.

Apparently the judge isn't forcing Fuentes to release the names of any of his clients but its really going to be a huge story if he does. Spain can forget getting the Olympics if all the meaty stuff does come out. Nadal has often been linked to the story too but only rumours.

Edited by pistol at 13:59:50 02-02-2013
  • Salaman 2 Feb 2013 16:47:09 19,058 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Watching the ladies now in the cyclocross world championship.
    Didn't realise Marianne Vos did cx. She's dominating like she has done in the road races for ages now.
    Mad.
  • MikeP 3 Feb 2013 12:20:48 1,867 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is a picture of Vos' trophy room. Amazing.

Edited by MikeP at 12:29:39 03-02-2013

• Salaman 4 Feb 2013 10:23:39 19,058 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't even realise she'd also done track cycling. Just knew she's been winning lots of stuff on the road. With the TV broadcasts of the classics, the Giro, the Tour and the Vuelta start early, the commentators need to fill so much airtime, they'll go on about results in the women's cycling at some point each day. Vos is still the only name I recall.

They were mentioning mountain biking yesterday but I'm not sure if it was a joke i.e. "if she picks up mountain biking she'd probably win it as well" or serious. I think she may have decided to try and go to the next Olympics as a MTBer.
  • Psychotext 4 Feb 2013 11:35:18 54,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fucking hell at that trophy room.

Unrelated, going to try and get some time on the bike this week. Fingers crossed.
  • MikeP 9 Feb 2013 18:50:05 1,867 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finally got the chance to get out for a little bit on the new bike.

I'm super impressed. The fit, geometry and build is spot on, to the extent that you don't really notice the bike. You just turn your legs and move forward.

I'm yet to give it a proper thrash, but I'm quite excited about the prospect.

PT, you managed to get back on it yet?

Edited by MikeP at 18:50:31 09-02-2013

• Psychotext 9 Feb 2013 18:59:58 54,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tomorrow. Fucking raining, have picked a relatively easy trail but I have one of those impending doom feelings.

Am going to teach my nephew how to make a tourniquet just in case. :eek:
  • lordofdeadside 9 Feb 2013 19:01:30 1,114 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thinking about picking up a new mountain bike this week, I've been itching to get back into it since selling my last bike a couple of years ago. Not got a lot to spend, looking at a Boardman ht team or a Cube Ltd, although the Canyon Grand Canyon looks pretty competitive too. Exciting!
  • Psychotext 9 Feb 2013 19:09:44 54,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wouldn't get a HT Team unless you're planning on using it for a mixture of things. Cube Ltd and the Canyon Grand Canyon are great bikes for singletrack though. You really can't beat Canyon for value too.
  • lordofdeadside 9 Feb 2013 19:15:28 1,114 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Psychotext A mixture of things? The fork isn't quite as good as the canyon, but the spec is pretty similar across the rest of the bike, what makes it so different?
  • Psychotext 9 Feb 2013 19:31:58 54,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just went and checked, was the 2011 model I saw reviewed. I'm guessing they've changed a bunch for the new model (they say it got 4.5 stars from MBUK, but I can't find the review to go with it).
  • lordofdeadside 9 Feb 2013 19:35:34 1,114 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah yeh, it does look like the 2012 bike was much improved, if the bike radar review is anything to go by at least! Review. Might stop by a Halfords and have a look at one in the flesh.
  • Psychotext 11 Feb 2013 00:40:45 54,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    First day back was horrible. My worst average speed ever and it's clear that there's been a not insignificant amount of damage done to my leg. :(

Worse than that, the rain, wind and cold got so bad (especially at the peak altitude) that I very nearly just curled up and died. Was all I could do to keep going and my hands and feet were agony (I forgot my sealskins and it turns out that my gloves aren't actually waterproof).

Large sections of the trail were completely flooded and took significant time to bypass (or in one case, wade through). Annoyingly there were a couple of gates flooded too and there's basically no way to avoid those unless you want to try and climb over a barbed wire fence.

Not happy. :(
  • Bremenacht 11 Feb 2013 00:47:19 18,246 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm impressed that you're back on two wheels again so soon. Good going.
  • Psychotext 11 Feb 2013 11:27:10 54,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ta. God I feel broken today.
  • Dougs 11 Feb 2013 12:14:28 67,722 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good stuff. I've just started to get back out there after a 3 month hiatus and my times are through the floor. Really quite depressing - they weren't all that to start with!
  • lexxx 11 Feb 2013 12:22:43 166 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Am I being paranoid? Had a stage two service a month ago on my Brompton, asked the bike shop to look particularly at the tires and the chain, but got told everything was fine.

Then last week I got a puncture, and took the bike back to the same shop for an inner tube replacement* who then said the tire was seriously knackered and needed replacing.

I donít doubt the tire was past it but my concern is they didnít really do anything when it went in for servicing.

* Brompton tires are notoriously difficult to remove, best left to the professionals
  • pistol 11 Feb 2013 12:55:19 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    First day back was horrible. My worst average speed ever and it's clear that there's been a not insignificant amount of damage done to my leg. :(

Worse than that, the rain, wind and cold got so bad (especially at the peak altitude) that I very nearly just curled up and died. Was all I could do to keep going and my hands and feet were agony (I forgot my sealskins and it turns out that my gloves aren't actually waterproof).

Large sections of the trail were completely flooded and took significant time to bypass (or in one case, wade through). Annoyingly there were a couple of gates flooded too and there's basically no way to avoid those unless you want to try and climb over a barbed wire fence.

Not happy. :(
    Keep it up..you'll be back to normal in no time. If you can get out in this weather you certainly don't have a problem with motivation, which can be part of the problem for some.

We're starting to up the mileage now on the longer rides and had planned a fairly hilly 80 miles for Sun. Weather was horrendous so we cancelled and I ended up doing a 3 hr turbo session at a relatively high heart rate to compensate. I don't usually do that long but glad I did. Probably more beneficial anyway.
  • MikeP 11 Feb 2013 13:08:52 1,867 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    lexxx wrote:
    Am I being paranoid? Had a stage two service a month ago on my Brompton, asked the bike shop to look particularly at the tires and the chain, but got told everything was fine.

Then last week I got a puncture, and took the bike back to the same shop for an inner tube replacement* who then said the tire was seriously knackered and needed replacing.

I donít doubt the tire was past it but my concern is they didnít really do anything when it went in for servicing.

* Brompton tires are notoriously difficult to remove, best left to the professionals
    Depends what's happened. Did they say why it was knackered? If you've run over a big piece of glass since the service then that'd do it, for example.

• lexxx 11 Feb 2013 13:25:52 166 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @MikeP They pointed out extensive wear and tear on the side, not even where it hits the road... they did look somewhat abashed when I said they hadn't mentioned it at the service just a few weeks ago!

I think I'm just going to not use them again, when I was waiting for the bike back it seemed they had taken on more work than they could reasonably do, so perhaps it isn't a surprise if they rush things. Its a shame cos otherwise, a nice LBS.
  • Page

of 356 First / Last