The cycling thread Page 190

• Page

of 375 First / Last

• jellyhead 22 Jan 2013 12:22:23 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Silly question but are spiked tyres allowed on bikes in the UK?

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Psychotext 22 Jan 2013 12:23:18 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They aren't literally spikes jellyhead. They're not dangerous. :p
  • Fab4 22 Jan 2013 12:29:46 6,216 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, they are more like little studs. I checked for here in The Netherlands before buying them, and they are legal.
  • jellyhead 22 Jan 2013 12:35:47 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Where can i get some? :)

• mal 24 Jan 2013 22:43:17 22,835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fuck, just repairing a pucture on my rear wheel and I spotted that one of the spokes has forced its way half-way through the inside of the rim, and I've no idea how. Looks nasty either way.

Question is, how soon is it going to go? I'd have thought I could live without one spoke temporarily, or is this sort of failure likely to be pretty catastophic when it goes. Can I even ride the bike to the bike shop to get a new wheel?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• caligari 24 Jan 2013 23:08:28 17,194 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spiked tyres is one of the reasons why I'm buying a cheap-ish mountain bike.

How are they on 'non-icy/snowy' sections?
  • elstoof 24 Jan 2013 23:21:42 8,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Though the rim tape mal, or has the the rim itself given way, or has the spoke nipple given way? Is the spoke wobbling about now?

Surviving on one less spoke depends on a few things, how many spokes there are in total, how much you weigh and how sturdy your rims are. On a 32 spoke wheel, an 8 stone rider probably wouldn't have much of an issue losing one but a 13 stone guy on an 18 spoke wheel is going to have a pringle after the next bump. In all cases, ride home one spoke less if caught short, get fixed ASAP.
  • elstoof 24 Jan 2013 23:25:12 8,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You won't be better off with knobblies on any surface apart from loose ones, gravel, mud, snow etc caligari. If you're on Tarmac the smoother the tyre the better, even in slippy, icy conditions.
  • mal 24 Jan 2013 23:38:15 22,835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Though the rim tape mal, or has the the rim itself given way, or has the spoke nipple given way? Is the spoke wobbling about now?

Surviving on one less spoke depends on a few things, how many spokes there are in total, how much you weigh and how sturdy your rims are. On a 32 spoke wheel, an 8 stone rider probably wouldn't have much of an issue losing one but a 13 stone guy on an 18 spoke wheel is going to have a pringle after the next bump. In all cases, ride home one spoke less if caught short, get fixed ASAP.
    Cheers for the advice. The rim itself ha given way, though the spoke nipple seems to still be intact to the extend that the spoke still seems to be in tension despite being half way through the rim. There's a little crater on the inside of the wheel where the nipple is coming through which seems to be roughly circular still, but I am worried about it propagating in a catastrophic sort of a way. As for weight and spokes, it's a 36 spoke wheel (I think) and I am 13 stone and then a bit. Not sure if it went when I had the accident which took it off the road (though from the headtube and back the bike seemed entirely intact) or when I was riding it back from the shops yesterday with a flat tyre, no spare inner (d'oh!) and a little over five kilos of shopping.

• Psychotext 24 Jan 2013 23:46:02 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's dead Jim.
  • MikeP 25 Jan 2013 12:22:54 2,075 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, sounds like the spoke tension has pulled it through. It can happen on older steel rims; they corrode and then the rim can't resist the tension anymore.

Can happen on alloy rims through a combination of metal fatigue and impact.

Best get a new one.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• mal 25 Jan 2013 12:41:00 22,835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah, cool. Yeah, I've decided that I can't trust fitting a new inner to it with sharp edges just under the rim tape, so I'm just gonna have to walk to my LBS and get them to switch my cassette and freewheel to a new wheel. Damn, this bike has been a faff getting back on the road.

• elstoof 25 Jan 2013 12:51:46 8,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    See if thy can rebuild with a new rim, save yourself some dorra.
  • mal 25 Jan 2013 13:32:10 22,835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm, I'll see what they say. Would be surprised if it's that expensive given they managed to sell me a new front wheel the other day for 40 quid, but I'll just tell them the rim has gone and see what they suggest.

• Dougs 25 Jan 2013 14:42:43 69,500 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In your face! http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/154025486/3382761

I think my GPS is fucked
  • MikeP 25 Jan 2013 15:44:38 2,075 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    In your face! http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/154025486/3382761

I think my GPS is fucked
    Is it accidentally converting cms into metres? :D

• Dougs 25 Jan 2013 15:48:38 69,500 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :) Normally 11.5 miles, christ knows what it was doing. Stuck a new ROM on my phone, assume that's messed with the GPS
  • Psychotext 25 Jan 2013 16:14:33 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    570MPH BITCHES!!!

BRING IT DOPESTRONG.
  • MikeP 29 Jan 2013 15:21:04 2,075 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My new bike arrived yesterday.

I must admit, I was a little nervous about dropping a substantial chunk of change on a mail-order direct sale bike from Germany, but so far everything's gone well.

It was well packaged, came with a comprehensive set of manuals, a torque wrench and everything had been put together with ruthless Germanic efficiency. I didn't even have to adjust the brake blocks. :D

Haven't taken it for a spin yet, they let you send them back within 30 days provided you've only given them a dry-day test run.

Going to tune the position on the Turbo Trainer tonight, then give it a go as soon as it's dry.

• jellyhead 29 Jan 2013 15:37:34 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice, a shiny new bike is always fun. Talking of shiny bikes mine needs a clean!

Splashed out and bought a new lighweight waterproof jacket for my little daily commute as my karrimor one has a broken zip. Stupid jacket is fine but the zip randomly decides to undo. Not good on a raincoat :)

• elstoof 29 Jan 2013 16:40:47 8,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice one Mike, get some pictures of the beast.

In other news, my wet, not quite clipped in foot slid right off the pedal yesterday, resulting in the chain dropping off the ring leaving three nice big dings in the bottom of the chain stay. Hard enough the fold over the top of a link and wedge two of them together. Cue much chain jumping and a ginger ride to Condor for a new 11 speed chain before they closed, then off home picking up a puncture on the way. Oh, and the guide pin snapped in two so it took an hour to try and coax the business end into place. An expensive, time consuming day of bike ownership in all, at least my new Kask helmet that arrived in the morning was as comfortable as hoped solid recommend one of these to anyone in the market for a new lid.
  • mal 29 Jan 2013 16:51:49 22,835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    80+ quid for a Kask on Wiggle. A bit more than I usually spend on a lid.

• elstoof 29 Jan 2013 16:55:03 8,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, the Dieci I got is 130 normally, I get a 12% platinum discount plus I had a 10 voucher so thought I'd pull the trigger. Worth it though, the fit is great. Much nicer than the 50 MET I've been running for the past few years.
  • jellyhead 29 Jan 2013 17:02:21 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How often should you change lids?
    I've had my specialized lid for two years now and not had a tumble but i'm wondering if they have a bin date?

• elstoof 29 Jan 2013 17:16:36 8,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Depends on who you believe, the folks making them would say every 2 years. You can argue that plastics deteriorate with time and UV exposure but I'm sure they last a lot longer than 2 years barring crashes. For me, how much they stink and how much filth they've absorbed which they can rub back on my face and head when I put it on is the deciding factor.
  • elstoof 29 Jan 2013 17:17:41 8,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That, and of course, fashion.
  • MikeP 29 Jan 2013 17:38:58 2,075 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wear a cap under mine now - seems to reduce the amount of head rot. It's the pads that seem to wear fastest. I doubt the level of UV exposure most of them get makes that much of a difference.

• caligari 29 Jan 2013 19:10:36 17,194 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    You won't be better off with knobblies on any surface apart from loose ones, gravel, mud, snow etc caligari. If you're on Tarmac the smoother the tyre the better, even in slippy, icy conditions.
    Is that right? Cripes - you might have just saved me 600.

Great to see the back of the ice/snow for the time-being - I've been using my indestructible single-speed for the last few months, so climbing back onto my road bike will be lovely.

Edited by caligari at 19:25:39 29-01-2013
  • elstoof 29 Jan 2013 19:23:29 8,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And another puncture. Vitoria open Corsa's, not only are they lovely and supple, but somehow magnetic to glass. At least I discovered that Conti tubes do in fact have handy removable valve cores. On the other hand, said removable core was still lodged in the pump hose I'd just unscrewed.
  • MikeP 30 Jan 2013 12:11:44 2,075 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've decided I'm not taking any photos of my bike until I swap the white saddle and bar tape. They look ridiculous. ProStyle can do one, as far as I'm concerned.

• Page

of 375 First / Last